Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default removing lino tiles

Any tricks/tips for removing lino tiles that are glued onto a concrete
floor, other than a hot air gun and putty knife (and potentially lots of
swearing)?

Tiles are 12"x12", room is probably about 14'x25'. Based on some which
are lifting in other parts of the building, I'm hoping that the glue's
not particularly strong, but sod's law and all that...

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 23:30:50 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

Any tricks/tips for removing lino tiles that are glued onto a concrete
floor, other than a hot air gun and putty knife (and potentially lots of
swearing)?

Tiles are 12"x12", room is probably about 14'x25'. Based on some which
are lifting in other parts of the building, I'm hoping that the glue's
not particularly strong, but sod's law and all that...

As usual, an angle grinder?

Or a Dremel.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any tricks/tips for removing lino tiles that are glued onto a concrete
floor, other than a hot air gun and putty knife (and potentially lots of
swearing)?

Tiles are 12"x12", room is probably about 14'x25'. Based on some which
are lifting in other parts of the building, I'm hoping that the glue's
not particularly strong, but sod's law and all that...

cheers

Jules

All the methods I know involve considerable time and raw sore hands
and aching back with a scraper.

So my advice is to not bother and cover them with the new stuff. These
tiles are usually not thick and so removal is superfluous. Patching
any holes can be a simple matter of the use of car body filler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 04 January 2013 23:30 Jules Richardson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Any tricks/tips for removing lino tiles that are glued onto a concrete
floor, other than a hot air gun and putty knife (and potentially lots of
swearing)?

Tiles are 12"x12", room is probably about 14'x25'. Based on some which
are lifting in other parts of the building, I'm hoping that the glue's
not particularly strong, but sod's law and all that...

cheers

Jules

Flat-ish[1] sharp gardening spade, slid under with speed. Usually IME pops
them off clean one by one.

[1] Some spades are quite flat, some are rounded.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On Friday 04 January 2013 23:30 Jules Richardson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Any tricks/tips for removing lino tiles that are glued onto a concrete
floor, other than a hot air gun and putty knife (and potentially lots of
swearing)?

Tiles are 12"x12", room is probably about 14'x25'. Based on some which
are lifting in other parts of the building, I'm hoping that the glue's
not particularly strong, but sod's law and all that...

cheers

Jules

Flat-ish[1] sharp gardening spade, slid under with speed. Usually IME pops
them off clean one by one.

[1] Some spades are quite flat, some are rounded.

Isn't there a commercially available tool for removing mortar splashes
from sub floors?

Google *floor scraper tool* gets lots of hits.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2013 23:30, Jules Richardson wrote:

Any tricks/tips for removing lino tiles that are glued onto a concrete
floor, other than a hot air gun and putty knife (and potentially lots of
swearing)?

Tiles are 12"x12", room is probably about 14'x25'. Based on some which
are lifting in other parts of the building, I'm hoping that the glue's
not particularly strong, but sod's law and all that...

cheers

Jules

Are they genuine linoleum?

I ask because I was recently involved with floor tiles which had been
cracking up. They proved to be asbestos-filled thermoplastic from the
1960s. Which were removed by a professional and properly disposed of.
Even though at the very bottom of the asbestos danger list, rules apply.

Not certain what he used - but I would consider trying an SDS chisel,
maybe after sharpening up a bit.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
[...]

I did use an SDS special bit for exactly this purpose when dealing with
daughter 2's kitchen floor. I note that Toolstation have one in their
catalogue; it's called a "Tile Lifter" - suprise ;-)

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2013 23:30, Jules Richardson wrote:

Any tricks/tips for removing lino tiles that are glued onto a concrete
floor, other than a hot air gun and putty knife (and potentially lots of
swearing)?

Tiles are 12"x12", room is probably about 14'x25'. Based on some which
are lifting in other parts of the building, I'm hoping that the glue's
not particularly strong, but sod's law and all that...

cheers

Jules

I was working in a B&Q store once (after it closed) and some guys were
removing floor tiles prior to replacement.

One had a gadget like a gas powered weed gun & the other one had a long
handled floor scraper. They had obviously done it many times before, the
rate they got them off was incredible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 05 January 2013 09:59 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On Friday 04 January 2013 23:30 Jules Richardson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Any tricks/tips for removing lino tiles that are glued onto a concrete
floor, other than a hot air gun and putty knife (and potentially lots of
swearing)?

Tiles are 12"x12", room is probably about 14'x25'. Based on some which
are lifting in other parts of the building, I'm hoping that the glue's
not particularly strong, but sod's law and all that...

cheers

Jules

Flat-ish[1] sharp gardening spade, slid under with speed. Usually IME pops
them off clean one by one.

[1] Some spades are quite flat, some are rounded.

Isn't there a commercially available tool for removing mortar splashes
from sub floors?

Google *floor scraper tool* gets lots of hits.

No - a spade works much better - I have tried both.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 23:30:50 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:

Tiles are 12"x12", room is probably about 14'x25'. Based on some which
are lifting in other parts of the building, I'm hoping that the glue's
not particularly strong, but sod's law and all that...

How good the bond is will eb the deciding factor. The floor here has
vynly tiles (are yours really lino?) but are in reasonable condition
witha few bits missing here and there. They are only a few mm thick so I
suspect that the carpet underlay will take that without problem. I'm not
keen on lifting 'em partly because of Sods Law, 75% will come off easy,
the other 25% will take the concrete subfloor with 'em... Also there is
something black underneath an my suspicion is of something bitumen based,
best to keep that covered.

If they are looseish the sharp flat spade is the way to go rather than
hands and knees and handheld tools.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 23:30:50 +0000, Jules Richardson wrote:
Any tricks/tips for removing lino tiles that are glued onto a concrete
floor, other than a hot air gun and putty knife (and potentially lots of
swearing)?

.... and thanks for all the relies, all. I shall be taking a spade in with
me to try tomorrow, and also a nice flat metal snow shovel that I've got
kicking around. It occurred to be that there's also a long-handled tool
at work that we use for chipping ice off things; it looks very like the
floor scraper tool that has been mentioned, so I wonder if that's what it
originally was... :-)

cheers

Jules

Tiles or Lino? sweetheart UK diy 3 April 5th 10 07:34 PM
Lino tiles removal Fred UK diy 11 January 29th 09 12:56 PM
Lifting Old Lino Tiles Tony Carnell UK diy 6 June 23rd 06 07:17 PM
Paint for old lino tiles David W.E. Roberts UK diy 1 September 12th 05 06:55 AM
Laying floor tiles on old lino/vinyl tiles Steve UK diy 4 September 28th 03 08:41 PM