Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Simple washing machine waste query

I want to put my washing machine into my new utility room and have a query about how to fit the waste pipe.

Normally, I would just buy a standpipe with a u-bend and fit that to the existing (horizontal) waste pipe. However, the existing waste pipe is fed by the condensation pipe of the boiler. This converts from a 3/4" pipe to a 40mm waste pipe that runs above the skirting along the wall to the main soil pipe.

I think my options are to fit something like this: http://www.wickes.co.uk/washing-mach...m/invt/210411/ and put the standpipe in the middle connector.

or

to fit one of these: http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-ma...out-kit/75883#

My query is, if I were to fit the latter, would I need to worry about smells coming up from the waste pipe into the machine as there would be no trap? Do I need to have a trap/U-bend for a washing machine waste?

At present there is no sink in the utility room so the waste pipe would be handling only the boiler condensation and the washing machine waste.

Any help welcome.

Thanks, Dan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes

to fit one of these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-ma...out-kit/75883#

My query is, if I were to fit the latter, would I need to worry about
smells coming up from the waste pipe into the machine as there would be
no trap? Do I need to have a trap/U-bend for a washing machine waste?

Any help welcome.

Thanks, Dan

At a rough guess I would think that there would be some water left in
the hose that would form a trap, especially if you were to form the hose
so that it had a "U" bend in it.

But I'm sure that there will be more knowledgeable people along soon to
comment.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I want to put my washing machine into my new utility room and have a query
about how to fit the waste pipe.

Normally, I would just buy a standpipe with a u-bend and fit that to the
existing (horizontal) waste pipe. However, the existing waste pipe is fed
by the condensation pipe of the boiler. This converts from a 3/4" pipe to
a 40mm waste pipe that runs above the skirting along the wall to the main
soil pipe.

I think my options are to fit something like this:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/washing-mach...m/invt/210411/ and put the
standpipe in the middle connector.

I'd use that - seems like a neat idea.

or

to fit one of these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-ma...out-kit/75883#

My query is, if I were to fit the latter, would I need to worry about
smells coming up from the waste pipe into the machine as there would be no
trap? Do I need to have a trap/U-bend for a washing machine waste?

Yes - for the same reason as any other drain - to stop pongs coming back
out.

At present there is no sink in the utility room so the waste pipe would be
handling only the boiler condensation and the washing machine waste.

Any help welcome.

Thanks, Dan

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

In message ,
writes

to fit one of these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-ma...out-kit/75883#

My query is, if I were to fit the latter, would I need to worry about
smells coming up from the waste pipe into the machine as there would be
no trap? Do I need to have a trap/U-bend for a washing machine waste?

Any help welcome.

Thanks, Dan

At a rough guess I would think that there would be some water left in
the hose that would form a trap, especially if you were to form the hose
so that it had a "U" bend in it.

But I'm sure that there will be more knowledgeable people along soon to
comment.

Yes - if it is a push on fit rather than a dangle-hose-inside-standpipe
arrangement. But a proper u-trap is better.
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2013 17:41, wrote:
[...]

From memory, the washing machine hose will be looped upwards and should
always have water in it. Therefore, no trap necessary to prevent smells
getting into machine.

And by using one of those "injector" style connections, there will be
nowhere for steam/moist air to come out.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes - for the same reason as any other drain - to stop pongs coming
back out.

Also stops drafts coming in if the w/m pipe is just stuck in the top of
the waste pipe. We inherited a w/m outlet which had no trap or bend.
No smell (the waste was only for the w/m and stopped above a clean
gulley) but the draft was boggling when the wind was in the wrong
direction.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes

to fit one of these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-ma...out-kit/75883#

At a rough guess I would think that there would be some water left in
the hose that would form a trap, especially if you were to form the hose
so that it had a "U" bend in it.

But I'm sure that there will be more knowledgeable people along soon to
comment.

Yes - if it is a push on fit

Which was the link that the OP showed in his second link.

rather than a dangle-hose-inside-standpipe
arrangement. But a proper u-trap is better.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2013 18:22, polygonum wrote:
From memory, the washing machine hose will be looped upwards and should
always have water in it. Therefore, no trap necessary to prevent smells
getting into machine.

It's probably worth saying that the hose exits at the top of the machine
but the instructions still say there should be a 'loop' in the waste pipe.

The filter is at the bottom and is usually full of water so there is
obviously some water left in the machine after it has finished a cycle.
Maybe an internal trap?

Thanks for all the replies.

Dan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think my options are to fit something like this:http://www.wickes.co.uk/washing-mach...nvt/210411/and put the standpipe in the middle connector.

or

to fit one of these:http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-ma...out-kit/75883#

My query is, if I were to fit the latter, would I need to worry about smells coming up from the waste pipe into the machine as there would be no trap? Do I need to have a trap/U-bend for a washing machine waste?

At present there is no sink in the utility room so the waste pipe would be handling only the boiler condensation and the washing machine waste.

Any help welcome.

Thanks, Dan

Whatever you use, you need a trap.
Traps are designed not to be "sucked out" /syphoned out.
Just use what's most convenient fory our particular layout.

Washing Machine Waste TheScullster UK diy 4 June 30th 10 04:33 PM
Washing machine plumb in query srt UK diy 3 January 16th 10 09:51 AM
Washing machine query Syke[_2_] UK diy 5 April 13th 09 10:52 AM
Washing machine waste Adrian Godwin UK diy 4 February 13th 07 02:17 PM
Washing machine waste Dave UK diy 3 May 24th 05 02:58 PM