DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Corner opening shower cabinet - door gear (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/351105-corner-opening-shower-cabinet-door-gear.html)

David P[_4_] December 31st 12 03:40 PM

Corner opening shower cabinet - door gear

Mum lost her balance in the shower and has succeeded in breaking the
sliding door gear at the top of one of the (corner opening) sliding doors.

I can find no brand name anywhere on the cubicle or doors and suspect it
was the original builders supply when first installed c16 years ago.

The wheel itself is grooved as though it should run *on* a track but it
actually appears to be running in a c-shaped track.

Wheel diameter is c16mm diam.

Can anyone suggest any uk vendors of 'spares' who may be able to assist?

TIA

David

A.Lee December 31st 12 03:52 PM

David P wrote:

Mum lost her balance in the shower and has succeeded in breaking the
sliding door gear at the top of one of the (corner opening) sliding doors.

I can find no brand name anywhere on the cubicle or doors and suspect it
was the original builders supply when first installed c16 years ago.

The wheel itself is grooved as though it should run *on* a track but it
actually appears to be running in a c-shaped track.

Wheel diameter is c16mm diam.

Can anyone suggest any uk vendors of 'spares' who may be able to assist?

There are loads of different types of shower roller, as I've found to my
cost before.
Make sure you get the correct size, and profile of the roller.
I've used these recently, with no problems:
http://showerpart.co.uk

(I'm glad you brought this up, I have to order a new shower door handle
for a customer, and they sell those too)

David P[_4_] December 31st 12 04:29 PM

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 15:52:16 +0000, A.Lee wrote:

David P wrote:

The wheel itself is grooved as though it should run *on* a track but it
actually appears to be running in a c-shaped track.

Wheel diameter is c16mm diam.

Can anyone suggest any uk vendors of 'spares' who may be able to
assist?

There are loads of different types of shower roller, as I've found to my
cost before.
Make sure you get the correct size, and profile of the roller. I've used
these recently, with no problems: http://showerpart.co.uk

Just checked them - sadly none are small enough or correctly profiled.
The nearest they have cost 65 quid!!!

A new cubicle is looming on the horizon.

(I'm glad you brought this up, I have to order a new shower door handle
for a customer, and they sell those too)

Glad to have been of help!

David

[email protected] December 31st 12 08:49 PM

On Monday, December 31, 2012 3:40:24 PM UTC, David P wrote:

Mum lost her balance in the shower and has succeeded in breaking the
sliding door gear at the top of one of the (corner opening) sliding doors.
I can find no brand name anywhere on the cubicle or doors and suspect it
was the original builders supply when first installed c16 years ago.
The wheel itself is grooved as though it should run *on* a track but it
actually appears to be running in a c-shaped track.
Wheel diameter is c16mm diam.
Can anyone suggest any uk vendors of 'spares' who may be able to assist?
TIA
David

If its a wheel you need, making one should be much quicker than a new cubicle. Or turn a ready mounted one down to the right size.

NT

ss December 31st 12 10:24 PM

On 31/12/2012 20:49, wrote:
On Monday, December 31, 2012 3:40:24 PM UTC, David P wrote:

Mum lost her balance in the shower and has succeeded in breaking the
sliding door gear at the top of one of the (corner opening) sliding doors.
I can find no brand name anywhere on the cubicle or doors and suspect it
was the original builders supply when first installed c16 years ago.
The wheel itself is grooved as though it should run *on* a track but it
actually appears to be running in a c-shaped track.
Wheel diameter is c16mm diam.
Can anyone suggest any uk vendors of 'spares' who may be able to assist?
TIA
David

If its a wheel you need, making one should be much quicker than a new cubicle. Or turn a ready mounted one down to the right size.

NT

Since its a DIY forum.
I have turned small pieces like that in an electric drill (dont have a
lathe) just set it up and hold the drill in a workbench, does a
reasonable job :-)

David P[_4_] January 1st 13 04:38 PM

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 22:24:13 +0000, ss wrote:

On 31/12/2012 20:49, wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately its more than the wheel as the gear itself is broken - but
the wheel diameter seemed to be the most relevant part of my question.
Checked out a couple of other websites now but still no luck.

HNY everyone

David

[email protected] January 1st 13 11:42 PM

On Tuesday, January 1, 2013 4:38:39 PM UTC, David P wrote:
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 22:24:13 +0000, ss wrote:

Unfortunately its more than the wheel as the gear itself is broken - but
the wheel diameter seemed to be the most relevant part of my question.
Checked out a couple of other websites now but still no luck.

gis a pic, maybe someone will know

NT

Rick Hughes[_5_] January 4th 13 08:45 PM

On 31/12/2012 20:49, wrote:
On Monday, December 31, 2012 3:40:24 PM UTC, David P wrote:

Mum lost her balance in the shower and has succeeded in breaking the
sliding door gear at the top of one of the (corner opening) sliding doors.
I can find no brand name anywhere on the cubicle or doors and suspect it
was the original builders supply when first installed c16 years ago.
The wheel itself is grooved as though it should run *on* a track but it
actually appears to be running in a c-shaped track.
Wheel diameter is c16mm diam.
Can anyone suggest any uk vendors of 'spares' who may be able to assist?
TIA
David

If its a wheel you need, making one should be much quicker than a new cubicle. Or turn a ready mounted one down to the right size.

NT

I had similar issue last year .. my Parents greenhouse door had broken
roller, seems manufacturer went buts in 70's
After suggestion here I went to uk model engineering .... quick post and
hand a new one machined up and with me the same week ... at no charge
..... helpful bunch on that newsgroup