Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Day 360

Nothing to do with Mayan calendars, degrees in circles or Killearn
dialling code.

But it is start of countdown to the next time I touch a turkey. Finished
off with a rather fine curried turkey soup for lunch today. :-)

This year the turkey was a really excellent bird - possibly best ever.
Flavour, texture, size, smell, everything. The DIY bit was my cooking of
it - as always. And the dishes. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

Nothing to do with Mayan calendars, degrees in circles or Killearn
dialling code.

But it is start of countdown to the next time I touch a turkey. Finished
off with a rather fine curried turkey soup for lunch today. :-)

This year the turkey was a really excellent bird - possibly best ever.
Flavour, texture, size, smell, everything. The DIY bit was my cooking of
it - as always. And the dishes. :-)

Roast
Salad
Risotto
More salad
Curry

Hmmm...
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Dec 28, 8:56 pm, polygonum wrote:
Nothing to do with Mayan calendars, degrees in circles or Killearn
dialling code.

But it is start of countdown to the next time I touch a turkey. Finished
off with a rather fine curried turkey soup for lunch today. :-)

I'm just about to have the last two of my 38 mince pies.

Unless there are more reduced tomorrow.

Owain
---------------
ASDA yesterday, bags of sprouts, 10p.
Marvellous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2012 00:18, brass monkey wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
On Dec 28, 8:56 pm, polygonum wrote:
Nothing to do with Mayan calendars, degrees in circles or Killearn
dialling code.

But it is start of countdown to the next time I touch a turkey. Finished
off with a rather fine curried turkey soup for lunch today. :-)

I'm just about to have the last two of my 38 mince pies.

Unless there are more reduced tomorrow.

Owain
---------------
ASDA yesterday, bags of sprouts, 10p.
Marvellous.

I eat mince pies all year round.
Quite impressed with goose, which I had for the first time courtesy of Lidls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Dec 28, 8:56 pm, polygonum wrote:
Nothing to do with Mayan calendars, degrees in circles or Killearn
dialling code.

But it is start of countdown to the next time I touch a turkey. Finished
off with a rather fine curried turkey soup for lunch today. :-)

I'm just about to have the last two of my 38 mince pies.

Unless there are more reduced tomorrow.

Owain
---------------
ASDA yesterday, bags of sprouts, 10p.
Marvellous.

Is that how much they pay you to take them away?

I'd want more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Dec 28, 8:56 pm, polygonum wrote:
Nothing to do with Mayan calendars, degrees in circles or Killearn
dialling code.

But it is start of countdown to the next time I touch a turkey. Finished
off with a rather fine curried turkey soup for lunch today. :-)

I'm just about to have the last two of my 38 mince pies.

Unless there are more reduced tomorrow.

Owain
---------------
ASDA yesterday, bags of sprouts, 10p.
Marvellous.

Is that how much they pay you to take them away?

My favourite veg, sprouts. I have them most days at this time of year.

So it's *YOU* responsible for the gales in the Uk FFS !

Bastid !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
---------------
ASDA yesterday, bags of sprouts, 10p.
Marvellous.

Is that how much they pay you to take them away?

I'd want more.

Nah, Surely Sprouts are good for TMH business!!!

Replacement lavatory seats and fittings?

:-)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/29/2012 5:02 AM, Huge wrote:

My favourite veg, sprouts. I have them most days at this time of year.

You know how not to ruin them when you cook them. Badly cooked sprouts
are truly dreadful - but properly done ones are delicious.

Unfortunately, most 'cooks' ruin them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/29/2012 5:02 AM, Huge wrote:

My favourite veg, sprouts. I have them most days at this time of year.

You know how not to ruin them when you cook them. Badly cooked sprouts
are truly dreadful - but properly done ones are delicious.

Unfortunately, most 'cooks' ruin them.

Has pretty appalling ones this Xmas - was visiting. Cooked to a mush.
Sadly some like them like this because that's the way mummy cooked them.
;-)

4 minutes in a microwave with just a tablespoon of water produces
excellent results - and they still look like sprouts too.

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/29/2012 9:34 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/29/2012 5:02 AM, Huge wrote:

My favourite veg, sprouts. I have them most days at this time of year.

You know how not to ruin them when you cook them. Badly cooked sprouts
are truly dreadful - but properly done ones are delicious.

Unfortunately, most 'cooks' ruin them.

Has pretty appalling ones this Xmas - was visiting. Cooked to a mush.
Sadly some like them like this because that's the way mummy cooked them.
;-)

4 minutes in a microwave with just a tablespoon of water produces
excellent results - and they still look like sprouts too.

Yes. Sometimes I quarter them, zap in the MC for 3 minutes, then finish
in a frying pan with butter and slivered garlic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
Nothing to do with Mayan calendars, degrees in circles or Killearn
dialling code.

But it is start of countdown to the next time I touch a turkey.

I have a freezer full of turkey breast steaks (as in bought fresh, not
Bernard Matthews).

I eat them for dinner frequently.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Dec 28, 8:56 pm, polygonum wrote:
Nothing to do with Mayan calendars, degrees in circles or Killearn
dialling code.

But it is start of countdown to the next time I touch a turkey. Finished
off with a rather fine curried turkey soup for lunch today. :-)

I'm just about to have the last two of my 38 mince pies.

Unless there are more reduced tomorrow.

Owain
---------------
ASDA yesterday, bags of sprouts, 10p.
Marvellous.

I eat mince pies all year round.
Quite impressed with goose,

We weren't. Team decision, nothing special about it at all.

which I had for the first time courtesy of Lidls

And "Mrs wouldn't be seen dead in there" paid three times [1] as much in M&S

tim

[1] Just a guess on my part I've no idea how much they were in Lidl, but the
M&S one was extortionate!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/29/2012 5:02 AM, Huge wrote:

My favourite veg, sprouts. I have them most days at this time of year.

You know how not to ruin them when you cook them. Badly cooked sprouts
are truly dreadful - but properly done ones are delicious.

Unfortunately, most 'cooks' ruin them.

it is of course necessary to wake early - about 4AM - on Christmas Day, to
ensure that the sprouts are given a sufficiently long boil.

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Steve Firth wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/29/2012 5:02 AM, Huge wrote:

My favourite veg, sprouts. I have them most days at this time of year.

You know how not to ruin them when you cook them. Badly cooked sprouts
are truly dreadful - but properly done ones are delicious.

Unfortunately, most 'cooks' ruin them.

it is of course necessary to wake early - about 4AM - on Christmas Day, to
ensure that the sprouts are given a sufficiently long boil.

why not put them on before you go to bed - it would allow an extra few
hours.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/29/2012 10:36 AM, Steve Firth wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/29/2012 5:02 AM, Huge wrote:

My favourite veg, sprouts. I have them most days at this time of year.

You know how not to ruin them when you cook them. Badly cooked sprouts
are truly dreadful - but properly done ones are delicious.

Unfortunately, most 'cooks' ruin them.

it is of course necessary to wake early - about 4AM - on Christmas Day, to
ensure that the sprouts are given a sufficiently long boil.

That was my sister's first exposure to sprouts. Grey, mushy, stinky lumps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/29/2012 5:02 AM, Huge wrote:
My favourite veg, sprouts. I have them most days at this time of year.
You know how not to ruin them when you cook them. Badly cooked sprouts
are truly dreadful - but properly done ones are delicious.
Unfortunately, most 'cooks' ruin them.
Has pretty appalling ones this Xmas - was visiting. Cooked to a mush.
Sadly some like them like this because that's the way mummy cooked them.
;-)
4 minutes in a microwave with just a tablespoon of water produces
excellent results - and they still look like sprouts too.

Yes. Sometimes I quarter them, zap in the MC for 3 minutes, then finish
in a frying pan with butter and slivered garlic.

And chopped chestnuts.

Or walnuts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/29/2012 5:02 AM, Huge wrote:

My favourite veg, sprouts. I have them most days at this time of year.

You know how not to ruin them when you cook them. Badly cooked sprouts
are truly dreadful - but properly done ones are delicious.

Unfortunately, most 'cooks' ruin them.

Has pretty appalling ones this Xmas - was visiting. Cooked to a mush.
Sadly some like them like this because that's the way mummy cooked them.
;-)

4 minutes in a microwave with just a tablespoon of water produces
excellent results - and they still look like sprouts too.

Yes. Sometimes I quarter them, zap in the MC for 3 minutes, then finish
in a frying pan with butter and slivered garlic.

And chopped chestnuts.

Which I forgot on Xmyth day.

I think I managed to forget to serve up the cranberry sauce for the
third or fourth year running. Not very keen on it myself so it doesn't
figure in "what I want on my plate" - but I should be gracious enough to
think of it for others.

Now we are out of turkey, what on earth can I use it up with? Hmmm.....

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
I think I managed to forget to serve up the cranberry sauce for the
third or fourth year running. Not very keen on it myself so it doesn't
figure in "what I want on my plate" - but I should be gracious enough to
think of it for others.

Now we are out of turkey, what on earth can I use it up with? Hmmm.....

Any dry, tasteless meat, such as overcooked chicken. It seems to go
quite well with Duck if that's all you've got in the larder.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
Now we are out of turkey, what on earth can I use it up with? Hmmm.....

Second thoughts. Wensleydale cheese. Some supermarkets seem to think so,
anyway. Don't like the combination myself, but tastes vary.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 15:36:51 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/29/2012 5:02 AM, Huge wrote:

My favourite veg, sprouts. I have them most days at this time of year.

You know how not to ruin them when you cook them. Badly cooked sprouts
are truly dreadful - but properly done ones are delicious.

Unfortunately, most 'cooks' ruin them.

it is of course necessary to wake early - about 4AM - on Christmas Day,
to ensure that the sprouts are given a sufficiently long boil.

Sarah Kennedy, once of Radio 2, used to remind people to 'get the sprouts
on for Christmas'.

In April.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2012 18:36, John Williamson wrote:
polygonum wrote:
Now we are out of turkey, what on earth can I use it up with? Hmmm.....

Second thoughts. Wensleydale cheese. Some supermarkets seem to think so,
anyway. Don't like the combination myself, but tastes vary.

One of those disgusting "made for the idiots for Christmas" concoctions. :-(

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/12 18:21, polygonum wrote:

I think I managed to forget to serve up the cranberry sauce for the
third or fourth year running. Not very keen on it myself so it doesn't
figure in "what I want on my plate" - but I should be gracious enough to
think of it for others.

Now we are out of turkey, what on earth can I use it up with? Hmmm.....

Venison..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Dec 28, 8:56 pm, polygonum wrote:
Nothing to do with Mayan calendars, degrees in circles or Killearn
dialling code.

But it is start of countdown to the next time I touch a turkey. Finished
off with a rather fine curried turkey soup for lunch today. :-)

I'm just about to have the last two of my 38 mince pies.

Unless there are more reduced tomorrow.

Owain
---------------
ASDA yesterday, bags of sprouts, 10p.
Marvellous.

I eat mince pies all year round.

I'd like to but can't buy them all year round and their
shelf life isnt good enough to be able to stock up post
Xmas and eat them all year round.

Corse I could get off my arse and make them, but so
far I only make what I cant buy anymore and beer.

Quite impressed with goose, which I had for the first time courtesy of
Lidls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Dec 28, 8:56 pm, polygonum wrote:
Nothing to do with Mayan calendars, degrees in circles or Killearn
dialling code.

But it is start of countdown to the next time I touch a turkey. Finished
off with a rather fine curried turkey soup for lunch today. :-)

I'm just about to have the last two of my 38 mince pies.

Unless there are more reduced tomorrow.

Owain
---------------
ASDA yesterday, bags of sprouts, 10p.
Marvellous.

Is that how much they pay you to take them away?

My favourite veg, sprouts. I have them most days at this time of year.

I once heard one of these SAS type survival experts being interviewed by
Libby Purvis on R4. After talking about all sorts of grubs, insects,
fungus etc, she asked him "whats the most disgusting thing you have ever
eaten?"

He paused for a moment and said "sprouts".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 15:46:05 +0000, charles wrote:

In article
-

september.org,
Steve Firth wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/29/2012 5:02 AM, Huge wrote:

My favourite veg, sprouts. I have them most days at this time of
year.

You know how not to ruin them when you cook them. Badly cooked
sprouts are truly dreadful - but properly done ones are delicious.

Unfortunately, most 'cooks' ruin them.

it is of course necessary to wake early - about 4AM - on Christmas Day,
to ensure that the sprouts are given a sufficiently long boil.

why not put them on before you go to bed - it would allow an extra few
hours.

Wouldn't they be all lumpy and lead to a restless night?