Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default RIP Gerry Anderson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-20845407

It was Space 1999 that did it for me and not Thunderbirds.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:23:13 +0000, ARW wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-20845407

It was Space 1999 that did it for me and not Thunderbirds.

Someone finally cut his strings :-(

--
PAN under VMWare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-20845407

It was Space 1999 that did it for me and not Thunderbirds.

Thank you for that ... I woke up this morning thinking about a bearded
space pilot puppet and a pacing robot controlling the ship during
flights. Couldn't think what the hell it was from until I saw your post
and it resolved itself instantly. RIP GA, too, BTW:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_P...1962_TV_series)
--
Nick (=----)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-20845407

It was Space 1999 that did it for me and not Thunderbirds.

It started for me with Fireball XL5 and finished with Space 1999 or The
Secret Service. I was too young to enjoy Supercar.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fireball XL5.

There have been a lot of them.
Stingray, (anything can happen in the next...)
Jo 90, Captain Scarlet (This is the voice of the mysterons)

Supercar, Four Feather Falls, Secret Service and Thundirbirds, UFO.

UFO yourself...

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Nick" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-20845407

It was Space 1999 that did it for me and not Thunderbirds.

Thank you for that ... I woke up this morning thinking about a bearded
space pilot puppet and a pacing robot controlling the ship during flights.
Couldn't think what the hell it was from until I saw your post and it
resolved itself instantly. RIP GA, too, BTW:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_P...1962_TV_series)
--
Nick (=----)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Fireball XL5.

There have been a lot of them.
Stingray, (anything can happen in the next...)
Jo 90, Captain Scarlet (This is the voice of the mysterons)

Supercar, Four Feather Falls, Secret Service and Thundirbirds, UFO.

UFO yourself...

Brian

You forgot "The adventures of Twizzle" - not that I've ever seen it. The
thing about Space Patrol is that it wasn't made by Anderson but by
someone who had worked with him. If you believe the Wikipedia author, it
made slightly more scientific sense than such things as Fireball XL5. I
just feel slightly odd that memories of Space Patrol should come back
before I'd heard that Anderson had croaked. Perhaps it's the Twilight
Zone...
--
Nick (=----)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 19:23:46 +0000, Nick
wrote:

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Fireball XL5.

There have been a lot of them.
Stingray, (anything can happen in the next...)
Jo 90, Captain Scarlet (This is the voice of the mysterons)

Supercar, Four Feather Falls, Secret Service and Thundirbirds, UFO.

UFO yourself...

Brian

You forgot "The adventures of Twizzle" - not that I've ever seen it. The
thing about Space Patrol is that it wasn't made by Anderson but by
someone who had worked with him. If you believe the Wikipedia author, it
made slightly more scientific sense than such things as Fireball XL5. I
just feel slightly odd that memories of Space Patrol should come back
before I'd heard that Anderson had croaked. Perhaps it's the Twilight
Zone...

Roberta Leigh.
Electronic score by F.C Judd G2BCX

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Remember Secret Service with Stanley Unwin?

I go all the way back to four feather Falls and Supercar.
Brian

I remember Torchy as well - anyone remember Sarah Brown and her toy - was
that Gerry Anderson?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 20:35:41 -0000, "Andy Bartlett"
wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Remember Secret Service with Stanley Unwin?

I go all the way back to four feather Falls and Supercar.
Brian

I remember Torchy as well - anyone remember Sarah Brown and her toy - was
that Gerry Anderson?

Andy

No, it was Roberta Leigh so not suprisingly it had a lot in common
with Torchy

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:58:37 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Remember Secret Service with Stanley Unwin?

I go all the way back to four feather Falls and Supercar.
Brian

Same here. I said that and everyone just looked at me.

And Fireball XL5.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Remember Secret Service with Stanley Unwin?

I go all the way back to four feather Falls and Supercar.
Brian

I remember Torchy as well - anyone remember Sarah Brown and her toy -
was that Gerry Anderson?

Don't think so. And Twizzle came up in conversation yesterday.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26-Dec-2012, Bob Eager wrote:

I go all the way back to four feather Falls and Supercar.
Brian

Same here. I said that and everyone just looked at me.

And Fireball XL5.

One of the things I remember was that Stanley Kubrick gave him a bell one
day and asked him to do the model making for 2001 A Space Odyssey and he
turned it down thinking that it wouldn't go anywhere.

--

All the best,

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Remember Secret Service with Stanley Unwin?

I go all the way back to four feather Falls

( ... There's always magic in the air)

and Supercar.

You old fart ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Bartlett writes

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Remember Secret Service with Stanley Unwin?

I go all the way back to four feather Falls and Supercar.
Brian

I remember Torchy

(Torchy torchy the battery boy ...)

as well - anyone remember Sarah Brown and her toy - was
that Gerry Anderson?

How come I remember all the songs?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Andy
Bartlett writes

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Remember Secret Service with Stanley Unwin?

I go all the way back to four feather Falls and Supercar.
Brian

I remember Torchy

(Torchy torchy the battery boy ...)

as well - anyone remember Sarah Brown and her toy - was
that Gerry Anderson?

How come I remember all the songs?

I keep telling you, Geoff. It's later than you think and it's a real
*******.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 26, 8:35*pm, "Andy Bartlett" wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message

Remember Secret Service with Stanley Unwin?

I go all the way back to four feather Falls and Supercar.
Brian

I remember Torchy as well *- anyone remember Sarah Brown and her toy - was
that Gerry Anderson?

Andy

Muffin the mule, Andy Pandy, Woodentops, Sooty?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 23:57:03 -0800, harry wrote:

On Dec 26, 8:35Â*pm, "Andy Bartlett" wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message

Remember Secret Service with Stanley Unwin?

I go all the way back to four feather Falls and Supercar.
Brian

I remember Torchy as well Â*- anyone remember Sarah Brown and her toy -
was that Gerry Anderson?

Andy

Muffin the mule, Andy Pandy, Woodentops, Sooty?

All of those I remember - but pre Gerry Anderson!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2012 22:02, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:58:37 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Remember Secret Service with Stanley Unwin?

I go all the way back to four feather Falls and Supercar.
Brian

Same here. I said that and everyone just looked at me.

And Fireball XL5.

And Terrahawks...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2012 07:57, harry wrote:

Muffin the mule

Something else that Savile did?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/12 14:57, F wrote:
On 27/12/2012 07:57, harry wrote:

Muffin the mule

Something else that Savile did?

That was boffin the boy!

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 27/12/12 14:57, F wrote:
On 27/12/2012 07:57, harry wrote:

Muffin the mule

Something else that Savile did?

That was boffin the boy!

Canoodlin the corpse?
--
Nick (=----)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/12 14:57, F wrote:
On 27/12/2012 07:57, harry wrote:

Muffin the mule

Something else that Savile did?

That was boffin the boy!

Canoodlin the corpse?

Jizzing the jailbait?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message m, brass
monkey writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Andy
Bartlett writes

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Remember Secret Service with Stanley Unwin?

I go all the way back to four feather Falls and Supercar.
Brian

I remember Torchy

(Torchy torchy the battery boy ...)

as well - anyone remember Sarah Brown and her toy - was
that Gerry Anderson?

How come I remember all the songs?

I keep telling you, Geoff. It's later than you think

All I have to do is enjoy myself, then

and it's a real
*******.

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message

Remember Secret Service with Stanley Unwin?

I go all the way back to four feather Falls and Supercar.
Brian

I remember Torchy as well *- anyone remember Sarah Brown and her toy - was
that Gerry Anderson?

Andy

Muffin the mule

Don't tell me you tried that

, Andy Pandy, Woodentops,

That was watch with mother

Sooty?

Got his autograph ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2012 22:42, geoff wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

Sooty?

Got his autograph ...

Went to school with Harry's son and nephew, and Harry used to give us a
lift to the swimming pool each week in his black Rover.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/12 10:16, F wrote:
On 27/12/2012 22:42, geoff wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

Sooty?

Got his autograph ...

Went to school with Harry's son and nephew, and Harry used to give us a
lift to the swimming pool each week in his black Rover.

was he a paediatrician as well? :-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/12 10:16, F wrote:
On 27/12/2012 22:42, geoff wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

Sooty?

Got his autograph ...

Went to school with Harry's son and nephew, and Harry used to give us a
lift to the swimming pool each week in his black Rover.

was he a paediatrician as well? :-)

No, just a nice guy!

Savile did start out as a DJ just down the road, though. Oddly enough,
no stories about him at the time. Probably just getting his hand in!

I'll get me coat...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-20845407

It was Space 1999 that did it for me and not Thunderbirds.

Fireball XL5 was the first one I remember watching. Supercar was raved
about by a friend's older brother, but I can't remember seeing it.

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 12:03:11 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 28/12/12 10:16, F wrote:
On 27/12/2012 22:42, geoff wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

Sooty?

Got his autograph ...

Went to school with Harry's son and nephew, and Harry used to give us a
lift to the swimming pool each week in his black Rover.

was he a paediatrician as well? :-)

His address was Child Okeford, Dorset.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-20845407

It was Space 1999 that did it for me and not Thunderbirds.

Thank you for that ... I woke up this morning thinking about a bearded
space pilot puppet and a pacing robot controlling the ship during flights.
Couldn't think what the hell it was from until I saw your post and it
resolved itself instantly. RIP GA, too, BTW:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_P...1962_TV_series)
--
Nick (=----)

Wasn't Space 1999 the one with Barry Morse and other 'proper' people in it
and unlikely looking space craft called Eagles, was it ... ?

Space Patrol on the other hand was a puppet production. They flew around in
gyroscope-y looking things called galaspheres or something like that. I seem
to recall that the one we used to follow had a Martian with a very gruff
voice who used to say "Gamma rays ON! , yobba rays ON!" just prior to the
thing lifting off from a sort of tower on the command building. There was
also a Venusian with long blonde hair, I think (well, it looked blond in
black and white...). Can't for the life of me think what the captain's name
was. Was the Martian maybe Mike ?

When the thing was flying, it made a lovely noise. Sort of
"derrr-da-derrr-derrr, derrr-da-derrr-derrr, da-derrr-da-derrr-derrr,
da-derrr-da-derrr-derrr"

God, that's sad remembering all that. Must be 50 years ago now ... ?
:-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message

Remember Secret Service with Stanley Unwin?

I go all the way back to four feather Falls and Supercar.
Brian

I remember Torchy as well - anyone remember Sarah Brown and her toy -
was
that Gerry Anderson?

Andy

Muffin the mule, Andy Pandy, Woodentops, Sooty?

Ah, the original Harry Corbett at the end of each episode with custard
dripping down his head, saying "Bayh-bayh, everybody, bayh-bayh ...

Mr Pastry ? Original Captain Pugwash ? Bengo the Boxer Puppy ? Billy Bunter
? The Queen Street Gang ? Robert's Robots ? Hundreds of 'em !

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-20845407

It was Space 1999 that did it for me and not Thunderbirds.

Thank you for that ... I woke up this morning thinking about a bearded
space pilot puppet and a pacing robot controlling the ship during
flights. Couldn't think what the hell it was from until I saw your
post and it resolved itself instantly. RIP GA, too, BTW:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_P...1962_TV_series)
--
Nick (=----)

Wasn't Space 1999 the one with Barry Morse and other 'proper' people in
it and unlikely looking space craft called Eagles, was it ... ?

Yes it was.

Space Patrol on the other hand was a puppet production. They flew around
in gyroscope-y looking things called galaspheres or something like that.
I seem to recall that the one we used to follow had a Martian with a
very gruff voice who used to say "Gamma rays ON! , yobba rays ON!" just
prior to the thing lifting off from a sort of tower on the command
building. There was also a Venusian with long blonde hair, I think
(well, it looked blond in black and white...). Can't for the life of me
think what the captain's name was. Was the Martian maybe Mike ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_P...2_TV_series%29

Clips on Youtube if you want to wallow a bit.

When the thing was flying, it made a lovely noise. Sort of
"derrr-da-derrr-derrr, derrr-da-derrr-derrr, da-derrr-da-derrr-derrr,
da-derrr-da-derrr-derrr"

God, that's sad remembering all that. Must be 50 years ago now ... ? :-)

No, browsing this site and remembering most of the shows would be sad:-

http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/

Sadder might be buying the Space Patrol DVD boxed set.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 02:02:43 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Ah, the original Harry Corbett at the end of each episode with custard
dripping down his head, saying "Bayh-bayh, everybody, bayh-bayh ...

Mr Pastry ? Original Captain Pugwash ? Bengo the Boxer Puppy ? Billy Bunter
? The Queen Street Gang ? Robert's Robots ? Hundreds of 'em !

And what the feck was that strange purple giraffe (or some other
creature) with yellow polka-dot spots?

Or was that just a nightmare caused by too much kiddy tv?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 01:56:35 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
[...]

There was an American live action serial called Space Patrol which
sometimes causes confusion.

The Roberta Leigh series was unique for having an all electronic
musical score.
This is the guy responsible for it

http://www.fcjudd.co.uk/

He will be remembered by all radio amateur old timers here for his
contribution to the hobby.

Here is Roberta Leigh being interviewed and not mentioning Anderson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTpjKWuTJYE

I saw Gerry Anderson give a talk in Manchester about 25 years ago and
he didn't mention much about Roberta Lee's work
Didn't mention much about his ex wife Sylvia either!

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2012 18:23, ARW wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-20845407

It was Space 1999 that did it for me and not Thunderbirds.

I was in Junior school when Thunderbirds was on TV, but will admit the
reruns of UFO when I was a teenager were certainly of more interest.

Lt. Gay Ellis ..... had a very shapely Gabrielle Drake in bacofoil
miniskirts and string vests, very appealing character.

A few years back I watched rerun (again) and found it amusing that while
they assumed living on the moon was normal, as were video phones ....
they had not thought of calculators and had commander "Ed Straker"
often sitting puffing on his cigar using a slide rule !

One minor character was played by Paul Guilfoyle - now a creeen
regular as Jim Brass on CSI.