Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Megaman CFL dimmer

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
Been looking at CFLs but with dimming capabilities, only to find that
Megaman recommend their own dimmer - they don't say other dimmers
won't work, just theirs is the one for the job. Snag is, it's £45.

Anyone here tried Megaman or any other make of dimmable CFL with an
ordinary dimmer?

Considered dimming CFLs and couldn't see the upside.
Currently (hmm..is that a pun?) using 'slightly eco' halogens disguised as
traditional filament bulbs.
They dim fine, come on quickly, and give a nice light.
Cost more to run, of course, but probably worth the extra money for ease of
use and decent lighting.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:51:54 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Considered dimming CFLs and couldn't see the upside.

Extended life. The spot fittings I've been using peg out bulbs fairly
quickly. They're on all evening and the 1000hr life of a normal
incandescent is becoming a bit of a pita. There are four of them, each
pointing to a wall/corner and light the room quite pleasantly by
wall-washing. The fittings are designed for simple spots or chrome
reflectors which are on their way, eventually (a helluva price to buy
as many as I need, so will just get a couple at a time).
In the meantime I've been using spots and dimming them, which works
quite well. As soon as I get a couple of reflectors I can use ordinary
CFLs, preferably dimmable.

Currently (hmm..is that a pun?) using 'slightly eco' halogens disguised as
traditional filament bulbs.
They dim fine, come on quickly, and give a nice light.
Cost more to run, of course, but probably worth the extra money for ease of
use and decent lighting.

I looked seriously at halogens, both encapsulated and conversions, but
only 2000hrs life doesn't cut it.

LEDs might cut it, but not at over €30 per bulb for something decent.
http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bul...-White-Philips
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Considered dimming CFLs and couldn't see the upside.

Extended life. The spot fittings I've been using peg out bulbs fairly
quickly. They're on all evening and the 1000hr life of a normal
incandescent is becoming a bit of a pita. There are four of them, each
pointing to a wall/corner and light the room quite pleasantly by
wall-washing. The fittings are designed for simple spots or chrome
reflectors which are on their way, eventually (a helluva price to buy
as many as I need, so will just get a couple at a time).
In the meantime I've been using spots and dimming them, which works
quite well. As soon as I get a couple of reflectors I can use ordinary
CFLs, preferably dimmable.

This is an application where LEDs may become cost effective over the
next couple of years (will require complete replacement of the fitting).
Products exist today, but they're too expensive for domestic use at the
moment.

CFLs can't work effectively in directional/reflector environments
unless the reflector is much larger than the tube.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-12-21, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Ah, is this part of the reason I haven't been able to find a good R63
CFL?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 11:02:25 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

CFLs can't work effectively in directional/reflector environments
unless the reflector is much larger than the tube.

Mine are...
http://www.sidespa.it/light/prodotti...odotto=SP OTS

Megaman CFL dimmer John Rumm UK diy 0 December 20th 12 02:05 AM
Megaman 14W GU10 replacement? DavidA UK diy 1 November 28th 10 10:17 PM
Megaman Dusk to dawn cfl John UK diy 6 May 23rd 09 01:41 AM
Megaman bulbs John UK diy 41 November 17th 07 05:13 PM