Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

Default Arise, Sir Muttonchops

http://road.cc/content/news/72309-wi...rs-honour-list
Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
http://road.cc/content/news/72309-wi...rs-honour-list

Perhaps he will have the fortitude to tell 'er where to shove it.

--
Hog

Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

Hog. wrote:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
http://road.cc/content/news/72309-wi...rs-honour-list

Perhaps he will have the fortitude to tell 'er where to shove it.

Danny Boyle already has.

--
ogden

990SMT - bouncy orange tractor
GSXR1000 - vintage sports-tourer
Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
http://road.cc/content/news/72309-wi...rs-honour-list

Personally, I think that it's completely wrong for sportsmen to be given a
knighthood whilst they are still competing. It should be given for their
(sporting) lifetime achievements on retirement, not just for the result of
one or two events

Yes, I know that the precedence has already been set

tim

Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 19:14:26 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
.. .
http://road.cc/content/news/72309-wi...rs-honour-list

Personally, I think that it's completely wrong for sportsmen to be given a
knighthood whilst they are still competing. It should be given for their
(sporting) lifetime achievements on retirement, not just for the result of
one or two events

Yes, I know that the precedence has already been set

Some sportsmen and women deserve knighthoods, but they are very few and far
between, I can think of maybe four in the past two decades.

A knighood is worth f*ck all nowadays when you are lumped with talentless
parasites like Cliff Richard, Elton John, Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger amongst
many others.

Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

http://road.cc/content/news/72309-wi...d-storey-set-l....

Personally, I think that it's completely wrong for sportsmen to be given a
knighthood whilst they are still competing. *It should be given for their
(sporting) lifetime achievements on retirement, not just for the result of
one or two events

Yes, I know that the precedence has already been set

Some sportsmen and women deserve knighthoods, but they are very few and far
between, I can think of maybe four in the past two decades.

A knighood is worth f*ck all nowadays when you are lumped with talentless
parasites like Cliff Richard, Elton John, Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger amongst
many others.

--

True.
Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 19, 7:14*pm, "tim....." wrote:
"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message

http://road.cc/content/news/72309-wi...d-storey-set-l...

Personally, I think that it's completely wrong for sportsmen to be given a
knighthood whilst they are still competing. *It should be given for their
(sporting) lifetime achievements on retirement, not just for the result of
one or two events

Yes, I know that the precedence has already been set

tim

They should get one for services to the community, not services to
themselves.
Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:10:25 -0800, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/72309-wi...rs-honour-list

"Wiggins Tour de France win has been hailed as the greatest performance
ever by a British sportsperson."

Ever? That seems a bit of hyperbole.
Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Wiggins' Tour de France win has been hailed as the greatest performance
ever by a British sportsperson."

Ever? That seems a bit of hyperbole.

Until next year when his team mate wins it. I think his clutch of
Olympic medals may have something to do with him winning an award just
as much as winning the Tour.

If you want to rank Wiggins alongside Brailsford I think Brailsford has
actually achieved more and will probably go down as one of our best ever
coaches but sooner or later someone will surpass him.
Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/72309-wi...rs-honour-list

"Wiggins Tour de France win has been hailed as the greatest performance
ever by a British sportsperson."

Ever? That seems a bit of hyperbole.

Especially as tour cycling is a team event and, now more than ever, the team
leader is paced to the win by his team mates. The eventually winner isn't
always the best cyclist, but the one who keeps the best team around him
(which can sometimes be down to luck).

(and FWIW triathlon's going the same way!)

tim

Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"tim....." wrote:

"Thomas" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:10:25 -0800, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/72309-wi...ey-set-lead-sp
orting-figures-new-years-honour-list

"Wiggins' Tour de France win has been hailed as the greatest
performance ever by a British sportsperson."

Ever? That seems a bit of hyperbole.

Especially as tour cycling is a team event and ...

... and boring as all get out.Leave this to the dweebs on
uk.rec.push-bikes or whatever it's called.

If you think the Tour de France and Tour of Britain were/are boring your
brain died decades ago.
There are long straight boring stages but in the twisties, hillclimbs and
10k to the finish line it's nearly as good as Superbike.

--
Hog

Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Hog. wrote:
If you think the Tour de France and Tour of Britain were/are boring your
brain died decades ago. There are long straight boring stages but in the
twisties, hillclimbs and 10k to the finish line it's nearly as good as
Superbike.

But that's boring too.

--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 18:54:57 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

Anything which is a "race" (swimming, running, any flavour of biking,
F1) is boring.

You were always picked last for footy as a kid, weren't you.
--
davethedave
Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

"davethedave" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 18:54:57 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

Anything which is a "race" (swimming, running, any flavour of biking,
F1) is boring.

You were always picked last for footy as a kid, weren't you.

as was I, but I don't find them boring - so what's the correlation

tim

Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 19:46:34 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
davethedave wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 18:54:57 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

Anything which is a "race" (swimming, running, any flavour of biking,
F1) is boring.

You were always picked last for footy as a kid, weren't you.

Yes, and what of that? BTW, I should have said " ... boring to watch -
although might be fun to participate."

Since the dawn of mankind we have been in competition. First there was
the who can bring home the biggest dead animal contest between cavemen.
This was a contest that involved skill, physical endurance, endless
practice and a bit of luck on the day.

Televised sport has brought this battle for dominance into a much wider
array of forms. Cycling (or competetive chemistry if you wish) is a wide
array of differing disciples. But is not strictly a strongest man wins
thing. Tactics play a part in the outcome as much as the sheer bloody
minded refusal to give up on ridiculously long climbs and the balls of
steel on the high speed descents.

You as the viewer can have the pleasure of sitting in your comfy armchair
saying "You fool you broke to early!"

Superbikes is similar. A high powered vicious machine both wrestled and
finessed at the same time to operate it. Travelling at speeds in excess
of brown trousers where tactics, planning, engineering and huge nuts all
come together in a blaze of speed and noise on a TV for our vicarious
pleasure. The TV does not convey the speed well.

If you cannot find any single thing to appreciate among the years old
battles of men for dominance at sport, be it mammoth hunting or biking
then I strongly suggest you take up knitting...

Oh! Hang on that uses wool removed (probably competetively) from a sheep.

--
davethedave

Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"Hog." wrote:

If you think the Tour de France and Tour of Britain were/are boring
your brain died decades ago.

There are long straight boring stages but in the twisties,
hillclimbs and 10k to the finish line it's nearly as good as
Superbike.

Anything which is a "race" (swimming, running, any flavour of biking,
F1) is boring.

cough
as I said.....

--
Hog

Posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
"Hog." wrote:

snip

If you think the Tour de France and Tour of Britain were/are boring your
brain died decades ago.
There are long straight boring stages but in the twisties, hillclimbs and
10k to the finish line it's nearly as good as Superbike.

Anything which is a "race" (swimming, running, any flavour of biking,
F1) is boring.

You were the fat kid who got bullied at school weren't you?