Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tap and Die Set

A few years ago, I got the unbelievably awful super-cheap Screwfix tap
and die set. (Why didn't I send it back? Really don't know - I should
have. Maybe I didn't actually use it for quite a while after buying.)

Recently I have had several occasions when that set has failed to help
and an alternative approach was needed. Now, being asked "What do you
want for Christmas dear?" it is an obvious thing to suggest. But I
really don't want to repeat the mistake. At the same time, I don't need
anything amazing - mostly cleaning up threads, making the odd new thread
in the less taxing materials, etc.

Looked at Axminster - very limited but they have this £28 set:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...set-prod20036/

I feel it is at the very bottom of the range - and similar/identical
versions are available around.

There's an ebay chappie selling "Mannesmann Tap and Die Set 32pcs.
Metric Thread Cutting Tool Premium Set GS TUV" -item 200862148209. Looks
OK and am willing to allow several auctions to pass so as to pay the
lower end prices - maybe £35.

Screwfix look to be dreadful and limited. Even their £80 set gets a
drubbing. And that is more than I would wish to be spent.

Toolstation's £40 set does claim to be tungsten steel. (Is that a good
thing? The Mannesmann set says S2 steel.)

Any suggestions?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, December 10, 2012 5:17:01 PM UTC, polygonum wrote:
A few years ago, I got the unbelievably awful super-cheap Screwfix tap
and die set. (Why didn't I send it back? Really don't know - I should
have.

The problem with the bottom end sets is they're made of carbon steel. Look for a tool steel as a minimum.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2012 18:14, Tim Lamb wrote:

Half forward, quarter back!

Forward back, take up the slack.
:¬)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2012 21:03, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
On 10/12/2012 18:14, Tim Lamb wrote:

Half forward, quarter back!

Forward back, take up the slack.
:¬)

Have found an HSS set at less than £40 - so probably can give the carbon
steel a miss! Nonetheless, I appreciate care is always required.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
A few years ago, I got the unbelievably awful super-cheap Screwfix tap
and die set. (Why didn't I send it back? Really don't know - I should
have. Maybe I didn't actually use it for quite a while after buying.)

Recently I have had several occasions when that set has failed to help
and an alternative approach was needed.

Just curious, but in what way were they awful? I've got some el cheapo
taps and dies (Lidl) and they're ok for soft materials. Up to mild steel.
Thing is 'name' ones are several times the price.

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2012 17:17, polygonum wrote:
Toolstation's £40 set does claim to be tungsten steel. (Is that a good
thing? The Mannesmann set says S2 steel.)...

Tungsten steel is a common, if rather old fashioned, term for high speed
steel (molybdenum and vanadium are also used in modern alloys). S2 is
IMO a slightly odd choice for cutting tools. It is an impact resistant
steel, meant for things like hammers and chisels.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tap and Die Set - followup

On 10/12/2012 18:28, Nightjar wrote:
On 10/12/2012 17:17, polygonum wrote:
Toolstation's £40 set does claim to be tungsten steel. (Is that a good
thing? The Mannesmann set says S2 steel.)...

Tungsten steel is a common, if rather old fashioned, term for high speed
steel (molybdenum and vanadium are also used in modern alloys). S2 is
IMO a slightly odd choice for cutting tools. It is an impact resistant
steel, meant for things like hammers and chisels.

It seems that Brüder Mannesmann is not a manufacturer, but an importer,
so tools made in S2 might well be old chisels recycled in a third world
country.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

A few years ago, I got the unbelievably awful super-cheap Screwfix
tap and die set. Now, being asked "What do you want for Christmas
dear?" it is an obvious thing to suggest.

Anything in the clearance sale here?
http://www.ar-sheldon.com/acatalog/Taps_and_Die.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 17:17:01 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Any suggestions?

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...s/Tap-Die-Sets

While they are cheap they don't sell '****'

Buy some proper cutting paste (for mild steel Trefolex, Rocol RTD, or CT-90)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2012 20:22, The Other Mike wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 17:17:01 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Any suggestions?

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...s/Tap-Die-Sets

While they are cheap they don't sell '****'

Buy some proper cutting paste (for mild steel Trefolex, Rocol RTD, or CT-90)

I think this:

http://www.warco.co.uk/tap--die-sets...e-set-hss.html

Is the same as one they sell - but less expensive. So that is what I
have passed on to partner! If anyone thinks this a bad choice, please
let me know asap!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Incidentally, why is the expression 'as straight as a die' not 'as
straight as a tap'?

--
*It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Incidentally, why is the expression 'as straight as a die' not 'as
straight as a tap'?

I have long taken that as referring to a wire-drawing die - rather than
threaded sort. Not heard of a wire-drawing tap. (Wine- or beer-drawing,
yes!) :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2012 09:17, polygonum wrote:
Incidentally, why is the expression 'as straight as a die' not 'as
straight as a tap'?

I have long taken that as referring to a wire-drawing die - rather than
threaded sort. Not heard of a wire-drawing tap. (Wine- or beer-drawing,
yes!) :-)

As whisky-dave says, it is the other sort of die - a cube with dots on
each face. An alternative form is true as a die.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, December 10, 2012 11:45:32 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Incidentally, why is the expression 'as straight as a die' not 'as

straight as a tap'?

Well taps dance ;-)

I thought the die in this case reffered to a single die where dice is 2 die, in that a single dice shoukld be totally random and 'honest' when thrown in a game.
Obviously not wieghted in any way

--

*It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats*

Dave Plowman London SW

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 21:55:33 +0000, polygonum wrote:

On 10/12/2012 20:22, The Other Mike wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 17:17:01 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Any suggestions?

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...s/Tap-Die-Sets

While they are cheap they don't sell '****'

Buy some proper cutting paste (for mild steel Trefolex, Rocol RTD, or CT-90)

I think this:

http://www.warco.co.uk/tap--die-sets...e-set-hss.html

Is the same as one they sell - but less expensive. So that is what I
have passed on to partner! If anyone thinks this a bad choice, please
let me know asap!

It might be similar or even the same, but I'd sooner deal with Arc Euro than
Warco

I'm a tool snob so I prefer to use Dormer, Presto or Guhring to Chinese or
Indian cheapies

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2012 23:57, The Other Mike wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 21:55:33 +0000, polygonum wrote:

On 10/12/2012 20:22, The Other Mike wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 17:17:01 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Any suggestions?

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...s/Tap-Die-Sets

While they are cheap they don't sell '****'

Buy some proper cutting paste (for mild steel Trefolex, Rocol RTD, or CT-90)

I think this:

http://www.warco.co.uk/tap--die-sets...e-set-hss.html

Is the same as one they sell - but less expensive. So that is what I
have passed on to partner! If anyone thinks this a bad choice, please
let me know asap!

It might be similar or even the same, but I'd sooner deal with Arc Euro than
Warco

I'm a tool snob so I prefer to use Dormer, Presto or Guhring to Chinese or
Indian cheapies

That is the only sensible choice for anyone who uses tools regularly.
However, it is difficult to justify to the occasional user paying as
much for one good quality tap as for a whole set from a different
manufacturer.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If I didn't have other calls on money as well, I might agree. We each
have to find our own price/quality points. And if I get an adequate set,
but find that the 4mm tap breaks or whatever after fair use, I might
consider a higher quality replacement.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just for interest, when we used to holiday in Devon, I used to drag the
family to somewhere to keep them occupied while I wandered round Tracy's
Tools. I usually bought individual taps and dies from them for specific
needs eg when building the boat.

Google still finds them. I used to find whoever was in the shop
friendly, knowledgeable (compared with me) and helpful. That was 25
years ago. Anyone tried them recently?
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote :
I think this:

http://www.warco.co.uk/tap--die-sets...e-set-hss.html

Is the same as one they sell - but less expensive. So that is what I have
passed on to partner! If anyone thinks this a bad choice, please let me know
asap!

I bought the same set a couple of years ago, no complaints here.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message ...

A few years ago, I got the unbelievably awful super-cheap Screwfix tap and
die set. (Why didn't I send it back? Really don't know - I should have.
Maybe I didn't actually use it for quite a while after buying.)

Recently I have had several occasions when that set has failed to help and
an alternative approach was needed. Now, being asked "What do you want for
Christmas dear?" it is an obvious thing to suggest. But I really don't want
to repeat the mistake. At the same time, I don't need anything amazing -
mostly cleaning up threads, making the odd new thread

Do you have a thread file? I use mine more often than the dies for cleaning
up a thread.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2012 21:20, Muddymike wrote:
"polygonum" wrote in message ...

A few years ago, I got the unbelievably awful super-cheap Screwfix tap
and die set. (Why didn't I send it back? Really don't know - I should
have. Maybe I didn't actually use it for quite a while after buying.)

Recently I have had several occasions when that set has failed to help
and an alternative approach was needed. Now, being asked "What do you
want for Christmas dear?" it is an obvious thing to suggest. But I
really don't want to repeat the mistake. At the same time, I don't
need anything amazing - mostly cleaning up threads, making the odd new
thread

Do you have a thread file? I use mine more often than the dies for
cleaning up a thread.

Mike

No - and I am clumsy as anything so using something like a file strikes
me as a bad idea! :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 10, 5:17*pm, polygonum wrote:

Screwfix look to be dreadful and limited. Even their £80 set gets a
drubbing. And that is more than I would wish to be spent.

Try a proper engineering or model engineering supplier such as
http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/ , or even Axminster.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2012 12:27, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Dec 10, 5:17 pm, polygonum wrote:

Screwfix look to be dreadful and limited. Even their £80 set gets a
drubbing. And that is more than I would wish to be spent.

Try a proper engineering or model engineering supplier such as
http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/ , or even Axminster.

MBQ

Thanks.

I mentioned Axminster in my original post.

Chronos have lots of sets. Almost all are UNC, UNF, BSW, BSF, BSP, NPT,
BA, mixed. I really only want metric. And the only suitable set in a
technical sense is way over my price band.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2012 17:17, polygonum wrote:
A few years ago, I got the unbelievably awful super-cheap Screwfix tap

Any suggestions?

Look at eBay and also Adtrader ...
My local Technical College has closed its workshops - everything sold
off .... my neighbour just bought a decent Lathe and a mint condition
Horizontal milling machine .....

I have a pedestal grinder and may yet get a fairly chunky pillar drill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rick Hughes
scribeth thus
On 10/12/2012 17:17, polygonum wrote:
A few years ago, I got the unbelievably awful super-cheap Screwfix tap

Any suggestions?

Look at eBay and also Adtrader ...
My local Technical College has closed its workshops - everything sold
off .... my neighbour just bought a decent Lathe and a mint condition
Horizontal milling machine .....

I have a pedestal grinder and may yet get a fairly chunky pillar drill

Grr!", they were clearing out a works dept at a local hospital some
while ago, there was a tasty Edward's trucut guillotine there quite a
small one and bending press.. Asked if they were throwing them out could
I have them? Yep sure no problem it seemed..

Works manager changed just before they closed, all went out in a
skip;((...
--
Tony Sayer