Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default VHS to DVD

Thinking of converting my VHS tapes to DVD discs.
Anyone recommend a good device to do it ?
The Honestech 5 looks okay, but I'd like to hear
from people that have used it (or other makes).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Commercial or home made. In the former case as long as you can defeat the
Macrovision anti copy routines its not that hard. I did some many moons back
but now I can't see much not much point any more!

Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"Jim Hawkins" wrote in message
m...
Thinking of converting my VHS tapes to DVD discs.
Anyone recommend a good device to do it ?
The Honestech 5 looks okay, but I'd like to hear
from people that have used it (or other makes).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2012 15:39, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Most of mine are homemade downloads from TV programs.

It almost certainly easier to look for downloads of the programs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Commercial or home made. In the former case as long as you can defeat the
Macrovision anti copy routines its not that hard. I did some many moons back
but now I can't see much not much point any more!

If you don't mind losing a bit of quality, the simplest method is
probably to play the tapes on a VCR which has an analogue RF output (as
most do/did), with the RF fed to a DVD/disc recorder with an analogue
tuner. That should overcome the effects of any Macrovision protection
(well, it worked for me).

For somewhat better* quality, I've used the Hauppague internal WinTV
tuner card in my PC. As well as the RF input, it also has baseband AV
inputs for composite video and mono (I think) audio - but not all cards
do. To steady the tape video jitter, I probably also used a timebase
corrector in the video feed - and this would also have removed
Macrovision - and I think this was certainly necessary for some
commercial tapes. The WinTV application recorded the AV as an MPG file,
which I then burned to a DVD. Other computers may also have suitable
inputs for baseband AV signals.
*Actually, the quality using the RF connection wasn't mush worse than
the baseband.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 20:14:53 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
[...]

Yes, I use a DVDR to digitise stuff from VHS and camcorder tape, but
why use RF? I have never seen a VHS machine without baseband audio and
video outputs and similarly I haven't encountered a DVDR without the
corresponding inputs.

In most cases all that is needed is a SCART between the two boxes.

I use a rewritable disk then transfer the VOB files to a PC for
editing and burning the final disk.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 20:14:53 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
[...]

If the tape is commercial, it is quite likely to have Macrovision
anti-copy protection. I believe that this consists of a high-amplitude
signal added in the video vertical interval, and it makes the recorder's
video AGC bounce around, fouling up the lock of the picture. This seems
only to be effective when you are using a recorder's baseband AV input.
If you go into a TV set - either at modulated RF or at baseband, the
picture is normal.

When you think of it, a TV set has to be capable of taking either an RF
or video input from a Macrovisioned tape, so I guess that a recorder is
deliberately designed so that when using at least the baseband input,
its video ACG reacts badly to the Macrovision, and fouls up the picture.

However, the RF side is of a recorder is essentially the same as a TV
set, and it would appear that if it is used as a demodulator (whether
you're recording to disk or feeding the AV to a TV set), the AGC behaves
itself, and the picture is OK. It's a long while since I copied video
tapes, but I'm pretty sure that at least my machine (a LiteOn 5045)
worked OK. But I might be wrong!!

I have never seen a VHS machine without baseband audio and
video outputs and similarly I haven't encountered a DVDR without the
corresponding inputs.

In most cases all that is needed is a SCART between the two boxes.

See above.

I use a rewritable disk then transfer the VOB files to a PC for
editing and burning the final disk.

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 08:39:03 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Graham.
writes
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 20:14:53 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
[...]

I thought the OP wasn't copying commercial pre recorded tape.

Yes I agree with your explanation about Macrovision, and the fact it
sometimes was defeated when the link was RF.

It all depended on the combination of equipment used for making the
dub. Manufacturers were supposed to be signed up to a scheme where
they would "honour" the Macrovision protection, we would call it DRM
now, I'm not sure if it was called that in the '80.

One of the Philips VHS machines that we had available for rental
digitally regenerated clean sync pulses so it completely defeated
Macrovision if used at the "B" end. This was the machine that had a
mechanism that laced the tape in a Betamax fashion, you will remember
it if you ever worked on one.

I used to maintain hotel distribution system and in one case we
started to get Macrovion protected tapes on some Disney titles. All
the Salora sets in the rooms refused to display a stable picture.

Fortunately we had some of these.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

The reason we had them was many TV sets only had a single channel
button that selected a short time-consent in the line sync PLL often
channel 8 and commonly called the video channel. We typically needed
to distribute 3 VHS channels so rather than go round to hundreds of
rooms and modify all the sets we used the TBC to clean up the signal
at source.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Hawkins" wrote in message
m...
Thinking of converting my VHS tapes to DVD discs.
Anyone recommend a good device to do it ?
The Honestech 5 looks okay, but I'd like to hear
from people that have used it (or other makes).

http://uk.honestech.com/main/vhs-to-dvd-50-deluxe.asp

Do you have a desktop or a portable?

Solution may vary depending on hardware.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
"Jim Hawkins" wrote in message
m...
Thinking of converting my VHS tapes to DVD discs.
Anyone recommend a good device to do it ?
The Honestech 5 looks okay, but I'd like to hear
from people that have used it (or other makes).

http://uk.honestech.com/main/vhs-to-dvd-50-deluxe.asp

Do you have a desktop or a portable?

Solution may vary depending on hardware.

I have both (both using XP pro)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 8, 2012 10:04:50 AM UTC-5, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Thinking of converting my VHS tapes to DVD discs.

Anyone recommend a good device to do it ?

The Honestech 5 looks okay, but I'd like to hear

from people that have used it (or other makes).

Everyone's reply appears useless o answer your question.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Besides, the commercial ones have a kind of deliberately unstable pulse rate
to foil copies to other media.
There are according to what I have read, now some very good programs that
can process home made videos to get rid of noise and dodgy definition, but
they do take hours to process the videos. Not that I have any need for such
things.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On 21/09/14 20:49, wrote:
On Saturday, December 8, 2012 10:04:50 AM UTC-5, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Thinking of converting my VHS tapes to DVD discs.

Anyone recommend a good device to do it ?

The Honestech 5 looks okay, but I'd like to hear

from people that have used it (or other makes).

Everyone's reply appears useless o answer your question.

MMm. we thought about doing that but frankly, te quality of ten year old
VHS was so bad we bought the DVDS instead.

Of course if they are home made videos, that's another matter

--
Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except for the rare
story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That is what i said, but thought I'd just add some more content.
As a matter of interest, does anyone still make dvds themselves?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jabba" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...
wrote

On Saturday, December 8, 2012 10:04:50 AM UTC-5, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Thinking of converting my VHS tapes to DVD discs.

Anyone recommend a good device to do it ?

The Honestech 5 looks okay, but I'd like to hear

from people that have used it (or other makes).

Everyone's reply appears useless o answer your question.

Is some **** going to answer every 2 year old post in this group?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 22:26:03 +0100
newshound wrote:

On 21/09/2014 20:49, wrote:
On Saturday, December 8, 2012 10:04:50 AM UTC-5, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Thinking of converting my VHS tapes to DVD discs.

Anyone recommend a good device to do it ?

The Honestech 5 looks okay, but I'd like to hear

from people that have used it (or other makes).

Everyone's reply appears useless o answer your question.

I *realise* that this is an old post, but for anyone who might
currently be interested I just bought one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to download stuff of an old Camcorder and it works fine (does NTSC
and PAL). Comes with female phono sockets.

Knowing that the original is an old post, I agree about the EZCap. It
works fine, and it's cheap.
There were warnings about a similarly-named Easycap rip-off copy when I
bought mine, but this one is good.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/09/2014 20:49, wrote:
On Saturday, December 8, 2012 10:04:50 AM UTC-5, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Thinking of converting my VHS tapes to DVD discs.

Anyone recommend a good device to do it ?

The Honestech 5 looks okay, but I'd like to hear

from people that have used it (or other makes).

Everyone's reply appears useless o answer your question.

I *realise* that this is an old post, but for anyone who might
currently be interested I just bought one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006QZ97DY/

ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to download stuff of an old Camcorder and it works fine (does NTSC and
PAL). Comes with female phono sockets.

Knowing that the original is an old post, I agree about the EZCap. It
works fine, and it's cheap.
There were warnings about a similarly-named Easycap rip-off copy when I
bought mine, but this one is good.

WRT the Honestech...beware the bargain one from Maplin (much cheaper) as
it's an old version.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote

wrote:

On 21/09/2014 20:49, wrote:
[...]

Lidl are selling one this coming week - £15