Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Holy crackers it's cold

One thing I was hoping for after moving up from London to Aberdeenshire this
year was a proper winter for once with shed loads of snow and biting
temperatures instead of the mushy slush we used to get darn sarf. I'm not
disappointed. I stuck a thermometer outside last night and got -5C and the
landscape is resplendent in its white coating. The boiler is barely ticking
over though to maintain 23C inside and the single rad in the kitchen isn't
even fully hot most of the time. Good insulation and double glazing I
suppose in this 20 year old house. It would have been miserable in my old
1920s built place with single glazed metal windows and no cavity walls at
temperatures like this though.

Just need more snow please. A couple of feet of it would be ideal.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 08:31:14 -0000, Dave Baker wrote:

One thing I was hoping for after moving up from London to Aberdeenshire
this year was a proper winter for once with shed loads of snow and
biting temperatures instead of the mushy slush we used to get darn
sarf.

Yeah, I detest the just above freezing damp, it's just miserable and saps
everything out of you. Bring on sub zero and therefore dry cold, just
bung on a jumper to keep warm.

I'm not disappointed. I stuck a thermometer outside last night and got
-5C ...

I think may find that is not "cold" by Aberdeenshire standards. B-)
Below -10C is more likely to be considered cold. Our min last night was
-5.9C under gloriously clear and starry skies. Then the cloud came in and
the wind picked up only -1C now but with an F5 SW'ly pushing the wind
chill down to -15C. The anemometer had frozen up, just been out to
unfreeze it with WD40 (it's proper use) only out in the wind for a minute
or two and been back in 20 mins but still feel chilled.

Just need more snow please. A couple of feet of it would be ideal.

Looking at the radar looks like something will arrive in the next couple
of hours. Same for here. Might go and light the woodburner in a while
that wind will be taking the heat out of this place like it's going out
of fashion. B-(

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2012 08:31, Dave Baker wrote:
One thing I was hoping for after moving up from London to Aberdeenshire this
year was a proper winter for once with shed loads of snow and biting
temperatures instead of the mushy slush we used to get darn sarf.

My recollection of the Scottish ski slopes is that the snow there was
always rather wet.

I'm not
disappointed. I stuck a thermometer outside last night and got -5C and the
landscape is resplendent in its white coating. The boiler is barely ticking
over though to maintain 23C inside and the single rad in the kitchen isn't
even fully hot most of the time. Good insulation and double glazing I
suppose in this 20 year old house. It would have been miserable in my old
1920s built place with single glazed metal windows and no cavity walls at
temperatures like this though.

Just need more snow please. A couple of feet of it would be ideal.

Hope you have enough supplies to last you through the winter if you get
that much snow this early in the year.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2012 09:11, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

All I say is thank goodness I brought the decorative brass monkeys I
have indoors last night, otherwise their wives would be moaning!

--
Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/12 09:45, Broadback wrote:

All I say is thank goodness I brought the decorative brass monkeys I
have indoors last night, otherwise their wives would be moaning!

Great idea for a product.

Brass monkeys with one of the temperature dependent magnetic materials
and some magnet-equipped brass balls, so when it goes below -5C the
balls fall off.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/12 09:45, Broadback wrote:

All I say is thank goodness I brought the decorative brass monkeys I
have indoors last night, otherwise their wives would be moaning!

Great idea for a product.

Brass monkeys with one of the temperature dependent magnetic materials
and some magnet-equipped brass balls, so when it goes below -5C the
balls fall off.

Merge with a hear-no-see-no-speak-no - and you could have one ball for
each temperature below zero -1 to -6!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/12 09:45, Broadback wrote:

All I say is thank goodness I brought the decorative brass monkeys I
have indoors last night, otherwise their wives would be moaning!

Great idea for a product.

Brass monkeys with one of the temperature dependent magnetic materials
and some magnet-equipped brass balls, so when it goes below -5C the
balls fall off.

If you had a set of three wise monkeys, you could have a graduated
indicator, with each ball dropping off at a different temperature.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its been pretty cold last night here in da souf too. -3 min last night.
Unfortunately this house though terraced does not have cavity walls, and
this is when you wish it had!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Dave Baker" wrote in message
One thing I was hoping for after moving up from London to Aberdeenshire
this year was a proper winter for once with shed loads of snow and biting
temperatures instead of the mushy slush we used to get darn sarf. I'm not
disappointed. I stuck a thermometer outside last night and got -5C and the
landscape is resplendent in its white coating. The boiler is barely
ticking over though to maintain 23C inside and the single rad in the
kitchen isn't even fully hot most of the time. Good insulation and double
glazing I suppose in this 20 year old house. It would have been miserable
in my old 1920s built place with single glazed metal windows and no cavity
walls at temperatures like this though.

Just need more snow please. A couple of feet of it would be ideal.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 08:31:14 -0000, "Dave Baker" wrote:

One thing I was hoping for after moving up from London to Aberdeenshire this
year was a proper winter for once with shed loads of snow and biting
temperatures instead of the mushy slush we used to get darn sarf. I'm not
disappointed. I stuck a thermometer outside last night and got -5C

-5 deg C isn't cold. It's about the temperature you should start considering
wearing trousers rather than shorts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 12:00:22 +0000, The Other Mike
wrote:

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 08:31:14 -0000, "Dave Baker" wrote:

One thing I was hoping for after moving up from London to Aberdeenshire this
year was a proper winter for once with shed loads of snow and biting
temperatures instead of the mushy slush we used to get darn sarf. I'm not
disappointed. I stuck a thermometer outside last night and got -5C

-5 deg C isn't cold. It's about the temperature you should start considering
wearing trousers rather than shorts.

I think our postman has been taking your advice this week!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:46:33 AM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its been pretty cold last night here in da souf too.
-3 min last night. Unfortunately this house though
terraced does not have cavity walls, and this is
when you wish it had!

60mm Varme insulation, Mapei Keraflex bonded, to SBR'd painted solid walls.

You go from shivering, agonising at the cold around your ankles, to "where did the HEAT come from?". The heat is your own body heat, heating the room. Even with single glazing (metal will still create a drop draught so you need overly long curtains).

You lose the external wall thermal mass, but retain the internal wall thermal mass - and ridiculously silly warm up time. As in 2kW fan heater for a few minutes will rockets the temperature - which holds up for some time.

Very surreal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 12:31:39 +0000, mogga
wrote:

I think our postman has been taking your advice this week!

Ours was still wearing them in the snow yesterday but had changed
today. (Central Sotland)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:03:10 AM UTC, Nightjar wrote:

On 06/12/12 09:45, Broadback wrote:

All I say is thank goodness I brought the decorative brass monkeys I

have indoors last night, otherwise their wives would be moaning!

Great idea for a product.

Brass monkeys with one of the temperature dependent magnetic materials

and some magnet-equipped brass balls, so when it goes below -5C the

balls fall off.

If you had a set of three wise monkeys, you could have a graduated

indicator, with each ball dropping off at a different temperature.

But who would go around collecting the monkey's dropped balls and re-afix them ready for the next time.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2012 16:15, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:03:10 AM UTC, Nightjar wrote:

On 06/12/12 09:45, Broadback wrote:

All I say is thank goodness I brought the decorative brass monkeys I

have indoors last night, otherwise their wives would be moaning!

Great idea for a product.

Brass monkeys with one of the temperature dependent magnetic materials

and some magnet-equipped brass balls, so when it goes below -5C the

balls fall off.

If you had a set of three wise monkeys, you could have a graduated

indicator, with each ball dropping off at a different temperature.

But who would go around collecting the monkey's dropped balls and re-afix them ready for the next time.

Colin Bignell

If everything worked out well, they would drop off as the temperature
fell and re-attach as it rose. So long as they distance they fall is
small, it seems feasible. Whether it would actually work is another matter.

Some childcare book I read always opened at a section about undescended
testicles...

--
Rod

O/T: Holy Prostitutes Lew Hodgett[_4_] Woodworking 6 June 21st 09 07:26 PM
The Holy Quran abo mahab Electronics Repair 1 March 29th 09 10:48 PM
Holy Shit SteveB Metalworking 13 February 13th 08 03:48 PM
Samsung HCR4751WX/XAC killing 25 dollar HOT like crackers. Jason D. Electronics Repair 0 October 12th 06 07:17 PM
The Holy Shroud gacrux UK diy 0 April 19th 05 04:00 PM