Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Petrol Stone Cutter problems.

Can get it to start ( not easy)

It is a Rockworth from B&Q about 3 years ago, hasn't been used that much.

I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no
effect.

Adjusting a largish screw on the carburetttor by turning it clockwise will
eventually get the blade to spin but not enough to cut anything.

Any help appreciated.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/12 11:44, mark wrote:
Can get it to start ( not easy)

Since it sounds like its gotta broken throttle cable or linkage, thats
not surprising

It is a Rockworth from B&Q about 3 years ago, hasn't been used that much.

I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no
effect.

Adjusting a largish screw on the carburetttor by turning it clockwise will
eventually get the blade to spin but not enough to cut anything.

Check the throttle control is operating the throttle butterfly.

Could be that has siezed in some way
Any help appreciated.

mark

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 23, 11:43*am, "mark" wrote:
Can get it to start ( not easy)

It is a Rockworth from B&Q about 3 years ago, hasn't been used that much.

I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no
effect.

Adjusting a largish screw on the carburetttor *by turning it clockwise will
eventually get the blade to spin *but not enough to cut anything.

Any help appreciated.

mark

Fuel starvation from a partially blocked jet or filter?
Also check vent in fuel tank filling cap is clear.
Check air filter is clear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 23, 11:43 am, wrote:
Can get it to start ( not easy)

It is a Rockworth from B&Q about 3 years ago, hasn't been used that
much.

I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no
effect.

Adjusting a largish screw on the carburetttor by turning it
clockwise will
eventually get the blade to spin but not enough to cut anything.

Any help appreciated.

mark

Fuel starvation from a partially blocked jet or filter?
Also check vent in fuel tank filling cap is clear.
Check air filter is clear.

Is the fuel fresh?

which ibot of

"I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no
effect."

did you fail to understand?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:44:32 -0000, mark wrote:

I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no
effect.

Didn't that tell you something?

Adjusting a largish screw on the carburetttor by turning it clockwise
will eventually get the blade to spin but not enough to cut anything.

Now you've fupped it. Get the workshop manual or manual for the engine as
you'll need the setup procedure to get the mixture right again. That's
after you have checked that the throttle linkage isn't just broken or
disconnected.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/12 00:22, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:44:32 -0000, mark wrote:

I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no
effect.

Didn't that tell you something?

Adjusting a largish screw on the carburetttor by turning it clockwise
will eventually get the blade to spin but not enough to cut anything.

Now you've fupped it. Get the workshop manual or manual for the engine as
you'll need the setup procedure to get the mixture right again. That's
after you have checked that the throttle linkage isn't just broken or
disconnected.

Oh c'mon..setting idle mixture and idle speed on a 2-stroke is hardly
rocket science.

I cant remember any of my model plane engines coming with a manual.:-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

Can get it to start ( not easy)

It is a Rockworth from B&Q about 3 years ago, hasn't been used that much.

I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no
effect.

Adjusting a largish screw on the carburetttor by turning it clockwise will
eventually get the blade to spin but not enough to cut anything.

Any help appreciated.

1) Drain existing fuel and refill.
Test.
If engine starts better but won't run smoothly then clean air filter if
dirty. If paper element blow through with air line carefully, do NOT immerse
in petrol or solvents. At worst it will eventually destroy the filtration
capability resulting in rich fuel result.

2) Remove cover (If fitted) from around carb inspect linkage from throttle
lever to carb. If detached figure out why and reconnect.
Test.
If starts and responds to trigger...All may be better.

3) Remove screw previously screwed in to make engine run. Insert again and
turn clockwise about 3 turns. ( I suspect this is the idle screw)
Test
Start engine, if it runs, gently "Blip" the throttle and slowly warm the
engine until will run without choke, Allow to settle to a fast idle back
screw off until engine runs *without* turning blade. Leave this as your idle
speed.

3) Inspect for another screw, smaller than the one you have just adjusted.
If it has a spring behind the head between it and the casing of the machine
screw in gently until stops, turn back out around 1½ to 2 turns.
Test
If engine starts, runs, but sounds as it it is struggling turn out another ¼
to ½ turn. If possible do this while engine running until at idle the engine
runs smoothly. If you can't get it to run smoothly turn the OTHER screw in
until it will run, readjust the mixture screw until it runs smoothly, don't
forget to lower the rev's again after setting.

4) If after this process has been followed the engine runs fine...LEAVE IT
AS IT IS... Don't tinker further
If it doesn't run well, cannot achieve full rev's, will not run with enough
power to be usable...Take it to a local small tool hire place and have them
inspect further.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 00:22:24 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:44:32 -0000, mark wrote:

I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no
effect.

Didn't that tell you something?

Throttle cable broke? as you suggest later

Adjusting a largish screw on the carburetttor by turning it clockwise
will eventually get the blade to spin but not enough to cut anything.

Sounds like this large screw is the idle speed adjustment rather than
the two small screws normally for lo and hi mixture strength

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 00:55:51 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Oh c'mon..setting idle mixture and idle speed on a 2-stroke is hardly
rocket science.

That's assuming that you can get the thing to run in the first place.
B-) With random adjustments of the settings you need the book to tell
you what the "ball park" settings should be to get it running...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 23, 11:43 am, wrote:
Can get it to start ( not easy)

It is a Rockworth from B&Q about 3 years ago, hasn't been used that
much.

I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no
effect.

Adjusting a largish screw on the carburetttor by turning it
clockwise will
eventually get the blade to spin but not enough to cut anything.

Any help appreciated.

mark

Fuel starvation from a partially blocked jet or filter?
Also check vent in fuel tank filling cap is clear.
Check air filter is clear.

Is the fuel fresh?

which ibot of

"I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no
effect."

did you fail to understand?

The devil is in the detail.

I've known a 2 stroke lawnmower with a blocked fuel filter to act in
exactly the same way as described here.

As you say, check the simplest things first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

is that like Paper, Stone, Scissors?

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 23, 11:43 am, wrote:
Can get it to start ( not easy)

It is a Rockworth from B&Q about 3 years ago, hasn't been used that
much.

I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no
effect.

Adjusting a largish screw on the carburetttor by turning it
clockwise will
eventually get the blade to spin but not enough to cut anything.

Any help appreciated.

mark

Fuel starvation from a partially blocked jet or filter?
Also check vent in fuel tank filling cap is clear.
Check air filter is clear.

Is the fuel fresh?

which ibot of

"I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no
effect."

did you fail to understand?

I understood and think you are right. Thanks. Havent been about to tinker or
reply.

mark (O.P.)