Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O.T. I was hit by a car and squashed against another car.

I was waiting to cross the road and stood on the road between two parked cars, one was just to my right, one was about 5 metres to my left.

Car on left started to creep forwards then suddenly shot forwards at about 10MPH crushing me between it and the other parked car.

Full ambulance, spinal board etc etc. Turns out I'm just badly bruised. A testament to the relative softness of modern bumpers I guess.

Police said driver's foot slipped and got caught between pedals so it's an accident. No further action.

I'm not into sueing anything that moves, but I plan to claim for visits to an osteopath in hope that it'll give me best chance of good recovery. May also end up with some money for the trauma of it I guess.

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts or experience?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Murmansk" wrote:
Car on left started to creep forwards then suddenly shot forwards at about
10MPH crushing me between it and the other parked car.

Full ambulance, spinal board etc etc. Turns out I'm just badly bruised. A
testament to the relative softness of modern bumpers I guess.

Police said driver's foot slipped and got caught between pedals so it's an
accident. No further action.

Pffffttt..... i thought there were no accidents where vehicles were involved
anymore, coppers don't go out to RTA's nowadays, they are RTI's... accident
implies no one is to blame, incident means someone is, if it had been a kid,
or a fit lass ith big knockers i bet the driver would be falling down the
stairs at the nick right now

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts or experience?

Check if the missus has recently increased your life insurance?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Murmansk writes
I was waiting to cross the road and stood on the road between two
parked cars, one was just to my right, one was about 5 metres to my
left.

Car on left started to creep forwards then suddenly shot forwards at
about 10MPH crushing me between it and the other parked car.

Full ambulance, spinal board etc etc. Turns out I'm just badly bruised.
A testament to the relative softness of modern bumpers I guess.

Police said driver's foot slipped and got caught between pedals so it's
an accident. No further action.

I'm not into sueing anything that moves, but I plan to claim for visits
to an osteopath in hope that it'll give me best chance of good
recovery. May also end up with some money for the trauma of it I guess.

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts or experience?

I knew someone who's foot slipped in the same sort of circumstance and
he hit another car - no personal injury

The police did him for careless driving

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Murmansk wrote:
I was waiting to cross the road and stood on the road between two
parked cars, one was just to my right, one was about 5 metres to my
left.

Car on left started to creep forwards then suddenly shot forwards at
about 10MPH crushing me between it and the other parked car.

Full ambulance, spinal board etc etc. Turns out I'm just badly
bruised. A testament to the relative softness of modern bumpers I
guess.

Police said driver's foot slipped and got caught between pedals so
it's an accident. No further action.

I'm not into sueing anything that moves, but I plan to claim for
visits to an osteopath in hope that it'll give me best chance of good
recovery. May also end up with some money for the trauma of it I
guess.

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts or experience?

My first thought is that you are a troll.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Murmansk writes
I was waiting to cross the road and stood on the road between two parked cars,
one was just to my right, one was about 5 metres to my left.

Car on left started to creep forwards then suddenly shot forwards at about 10MPH
crushing me between it and the other parked car.

Full ambulance, spinal board etc etc. Turns out I'm just badly bruised. A testament
to the relative softness of modern bumpers I guess.

Police said driver's foot slipped and got caught between pedals so it's an accident.
No further action.

I'm not into sueing anything that moves, but I plan to claim for visits to an
osteopath in hope that it'll give me best chance of good recovery. May also end up
with some money for the trauma of it I guess.

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts or experience?

I certainly wouldn't call it an accident, the driver wasn't in proper
control of the vehicle and your injuries were the result, it was a
negligent act.

I have no wish to encourage the ambulance chasing claims outfits but I
think you are being too generous in not considering claiming for both
your injury and distress, this is no fake whiplash incident.

The driver shouldn't be able to escape the consequences of their actions
so lightly and an extra 2k for you on the insurance claim should focus
their attention on foot placement and slippy shoe scenarios in future.

In your place I'd be contacting a local solicitor with experience in
injury claims and a no win no fee policy to fund my next holiday.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for those responses (well most of them!)

My first priority is to see an osteopath and claim for that, will have to see what happens as regards any other compensation or whatever once I've started the ball rolling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:
Thanks for those responses (well most of them!)

My first priority is to see an osteopath and claim for that, will have to
see what happens as regards any other compensation or whatever once I've
started the ball rolling.

An osteopath is not the best course of action. They are right up there with
homeopaths. If you want to get better you need to visit a physiotherapist.
Having suffered a spinal injury in a motor accident I tried an osteopath -
a complete waste of time. A decent physiotherapist[1] was able to provide a
series of exercises that restored full mobility.

[1] Decent in this case meant a physiotherapist who treated soldiers with
spinal injuries returning from Afghanistan.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 11, 2012 11:17:39 PM UTC, Steve Firth wrote:
[1] Decent in this case meant a physiotherapist who treated
soldiers with spinal injuries returning from Afghanistan.

Indeed, one of the least well known physiotherapists in the UK used by both UK & USA Olympic teams and military alike, had 2 comments re other physios..

#1 - "If I hear you sigh with impatience, you can work down the massage parlour".

#2 - "80% of physios should work in a massage parlour because they are not responsible for the patient's improvement and merely massage & collect a check".

She was utterly ferocious, shy of publicity but exceptional.

I would add a #3 - If the physio talks incessantly about property portfolios and has a pile of brochures selling you junk on commission, find someone else. Likewise if they want a long series of private therapy after the NHS ends and achieve little (see note #1 & #2).

There are specific exercises for certain injuries and they WORK ***IF*** you do the exercises. The key problem for physios is so many patients just take the exercise program sheet and "hold it against their leg" expecting it to work. You HAVE to do the exercises, as advised, even if it causes discomfort initially (and give them feedback if more than that). Otherwise you are wasting your own time, not improving - and wasting their time which can make good physios bad.

Most frustrating occupation: at least people usually take the pills the doctors prescribes and would think it a bit bizarre not to, yet people do just that with physios. Osteopaths are more esoteric and finding a good one of those who is not a failed PhD in AstroPhysics for Blogs-********-&-Co university is hard.

Physios linked to PFI hospitals tend to be carefully selected (eg, Canadian run hospital AND recruitment side), with the result that staff elsewhere tend to be the people they rejected. So can be a useful starting point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 11:54:56 -0800 (PST), Murmansk
wrote:

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts or experience?

www.stakeyourclaimboy.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 November 2012 19:54:56 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
I was waiting to cross the road and stood on the road between two parked cars, one was just to my right, one was about 5 metres to my left.

Car on left started to creep forwards then suddenly shot forwards at about 10MPH crushing me between it and the other parked car.

This perhaps explains why "Crossing the Road for Dummies" guides always say _not_ to cross between parked cars. This being the case, an insurance co might claim it was your fault for not obeying the rules. Personally, I _prefer_ to cross between parked cars, as it always feels that they give some protection from traffic sailing close to the kerb, but I don't do it if it looks like one of them is about to drive off.

It's interesting that someone was prosecuted for a slip of the foot. When a friend of mine was knocked off his pushbike and flung over the bonnet of a car emerging from a drive in front of him, all he got from plod was the old "That's a civil matter, cur."

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:
I was ... between two parked cars
Car on left started to creep forwards

Make your mind up. Either it was a parked car or it wasn't.
Why were you trying to cross the road in front of a non-parked
car?

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:
Thanks for those responses (well most of them!)

My first priority is to see an osteopath and claim for that, will have to see what happens as

regards any other compensation or whatever once I've started the ball
rolling.

My nephew had a similar accident. I persuaded him to make a claim and he
got £2,500.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:

I was waiting to cross the road and stood on the road between two parked cars

"Crossing the Road for Dummies" guides always say _not_ to cross between parked cars.

I wonder if they were actually parked cars, or merely stationary traffic?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 12, 2012 7:31:10 AM UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

Murmansk wrote:

I was waiting to cross the road and stood on the road between two parked cars

"Crossing the Road for Dummies" guides always say _not_ to cross between parked cars.

I wonder if they were actually parked cars, or merely stationary traffic?

Well it depends how you define a parked car. The driver was sat in it. There were double yellow lines. Don't know if engine was running.

I've always preferred to cross between parked cars as you get some protection from the moving traffic being behind a solid metal obstacle (a car). I kept as far as possible from the car that eventually hit me - if I'd been in the middle of the gap it would presumably have knocked me over, then run over me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2012 09:18, Murmansk wrote:

I've always preferred to cross between parked cars as you get some protection from the moving traffic being behind a solid metal obstacle (a car). I kept as far as possible from the car that eventually hit me - if I'd been in the middle of the gap it would presumably have knocked me over, then run over me.

Its a poor idea.

You are in a crush zone and crush injuries kill people.

You can't see as well as on a clear road.

The drivers can't see you.
A good driver will see you looking like you want to cross and will make
allowances for what you might do if they can see you.

You have nowhere to go if you notice something bad happening.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote in :

In article ,
Murmansk writes
I was waiting to cross the road and stood on the road between two
parked cars, one was just to my right, one was about 5 metres to my
left.

Car on left started to creep forwards then suddenly shot forwards at
about 10MPH crushing me between it and the other parked car.

Full ambulance, spinal board etc etc. Turns out I'm just badly
bruised. A testament to the relative softness of modern bumpers I
guess.

I know someone who had a similar thing happen in a supermarket carpark.
Years later she is having to use a wheelchair. Make sure that you consider
any long term implications from any underlying damage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 12/11/2012 04:09, jgharston wrote:
Murmansk wrote:
I was ... between two parked cars
Car on left started to creep forwards

Make your mind up. Either it was a parked car or it wasn't.
Why were you trying to cross the road in front of a non-parked
car?

The OP has a right not to be driven into, although in those
circumstances I expect that in future he will take a step back onto the
pavement and look elsewhere.

I strongly suggest that the OP gets legal advice immediately. I can't
recommend a solicitor, but someone on uk.legal.moderated will.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

I was ... between two parked cars

Car on left started to creep forwards

Make your mind up. Either it was a parked car or it wasn't.

Why were you trying to cross the road in front of a non-parked

car?

The OP has a right not to be driven into, although in those

circumstances I expect that in future he will take a step back onto the

pavement and look elsewhere.

I strongly suggest that the OP gets legal advice immediately. I can't

recommend a solicitor, but someone on uk.legal.moderated will.

I've contacted a solicitor who is a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers. He advises that there is no rush, we should wait and see how I am in about three weeks. At that point we can decide whether it's worth them handling it or whether it would be more appropriate for me to simply approach the driver's insurance company myself and see what they offer me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 04:27:34 -0800 (PST), Murmansk
wrote:

or whether it would be more appropriate for me to simply approach the driver's insurance company myself and see what they offer me.

Yeah, that's sure to work out well for you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
[...]

The crossing the road for dummies guide is to minimise the risk of being
hit by traffic passing by as you step out NOT because of the risk of a
****ing idiot in one of the cars failing to see you and starting their
car moving, then coming up with the "my foot slipped" excuse which is
careless driving in anyone's book.
--
bert