Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default brand new but very old aerials for sale

I'm clearing my dad's house and there a quite a few TV aerials there.
Ignoring the rubbish, there are some boxed high gain types. These are
from the Antiference XG range and the Jaybeam MBM range. All the aerials
are grouped. There are also some TC18As. Some of these aerials are from
the 1980s but they are still in the original boxes. Some of the boxes
are battered, but the contents are OK. These are the high gain aerials
of choice if you want a grouped aerial. They knock the spots off
wideband models. I was thinking that maybe £15 to £25 would be fair for
each aerial, depending on type. If anyone's interested I'll go and note
down the exact types and groups. It would have to be buyer collect
though. These things would take a lot of parcelling up. If anyone wants
to take the lot I would accept maybe £15 per aerial.

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 17:03:06 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

I'm clearing my dad's house and there a quite a few TV aerials there.
Ignoring the rubbish, there are some boxed high gain types. These are
from the Antiference XG range and the Jaybeam MBM range. All the aerials
are grouped. There are also some TC18As. Some of these aerials are from
the 1980s but they are still in the original boxes. Some of the boxes
are battered, but the contents are OK. These are the high gain aerials
of choice if you want a grouped aerial. They knock the spots off
wideband models. I was thinking that maybe £15 to £25 would be fair for
each aerial, depending on type. If anyone's interested I'll go and note
down the exact types and groups. It would have to be buyer collect
though. These things would take a lot of parcelling up. If anyone wants
to take the lot I would accept maybe £15 per aerial.

Bill

In about 1982 a brand new shiny Band III aerial went up on my patch. I
remember thinking how short-sighted that was.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

In the summer of 1953, someone from London with a new holiday home in
Arisaig fitted a Band 1 aerial. tv arrived (on uhf) some time in the 80s.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

In about 1982 a brand new shiny Band III aerial went up on my patch. I
remember thinking how short-sighted that was.

I did some freebies for a charity and often they had installed a 405
only set in the recipient's house, and I had to do the aerial.

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

In the summer of 1953, someone from London with a new holiday home in
Arisaig fitted a Band 1 aerial. tv arrived (on uhf) some time in the 80s.

Presumably it was for channel 1, Crystal/Alex Palace.

Years ago I had a customer who had lived in Aberdeen and had retired to
Yorkshire, where he lived in a terrible reception area. He refused to
believe that there could be a reception problem on the grounds that
'this is near London'.

Bill

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 19:58:40 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

charles wrote:

In the summer of 1953, someone from London with a new holiday home in
Arisaig fitted a Band 1 aerial. tv arrived (on uhf) some time in the 80s.

Presumably it was for channel 1, Crystal/Alex Palace.

Years ago I had a customer who had lived in Aberdeen and had retired to
Yorkshire, where he lived in a terrible reception area. He refused to
believe that there could be a reception problem on the grounds that
'this is near London'.

Bill

And mobile phones are rubbish, I was at the checkouts in Tescos and
tried to ring SWMBO, it said no signal, but she was onlt in fruit &
veg.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 19:58:40 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

snip
And mobile phones are rubbish, I was at the checkouts in Tescos and
tried to ring SWMBO, it said no signal, but she was only in fruit &
veg.

Try getting her to move to frozen foods, might get a better reflected
signal off the freezers?

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and £5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 21:34:50 -0000, "Steve Terry"
wrote:

Graham. wrote:
On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 19:58:40 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:
charles wrote:

snip
And mobile phones are rubbish, I was at the checkouts in Tescos and
tried to ring SWMBO, it said no signal, but she was only in fruit &
veg.

Try getting her to move to frozen foods, might get a better reflected
signal off the freezers?

Steve Terry

Trur story (I'm afraid to say).
She once had me paged over the Tannoy in a supermarket when we got
separated. After she did it, the woman on customer Services asked how
old her little boy was. 33 she replied.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 19:54:56 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Graham. wrote:

In about 1982 a brand new shiny Band III aerial went up on my patch. I
remember thinking how short-sighted that was.

I did some freebies for a charity and often they had installed a 405
only set in the recipient's house, and I had to do the aerial.

Bill

In the '70s if the customer had a UHF aerial they often left the
rotary tuner set to BBC2 and used VHF/405 for BBC1/ITV.
Set design on 625 was so crap that in many cases the picture was
subjectively better on 405 anyway.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes
wrote:

Graham. wrote:

In about 1982 a brand new shiny Band III aerial went up on my patch. I
remember thinking how short-sighted that was.

I did some freebies for a charity and often they had installed a 405
only set in the recipient's house, and I had to do the aerial.

Bill

In the '70s if the customer had a UHF aerial they often left the
rotary tuner set to BBC2 and used VHF/405 for BBC1/ITV.
Set design on 625 was so crap that in many cases the picture was
subjectively better on 405 anyway.

In the 1960s, I had a Ferguson 3000 (?) black and white set, and the
625-line picture was sort-of 'soft' and rather fuzzy. The 405-line
pictures had far better sharpness and contrast.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes
wrote:

charles wrote:

In the summer of 1953, someone from London with a new holiday home in
Arisaig fitted a Band 1 aerial. tv arrived (on uhf) some time in the 80s.

Presumably it was for channel 1, Crystal/Alex Palace.

Years ago I had a customer who had lived in Aberdeen and had retired to
Yorkshire, where he lived in a terrible reception area. He refused to
believe that there could be a reception problem on the grounds that
'this is near London'.

Bill

And mobile phones are rubbish, I was at the checkouts in Tescos and
tried to ring SWMBO, it said no signal, but she was onlt in fruit &
veg.

You just prolly had problems pearing

--
geoff
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/12 23:25, geoff wrote:
In message , Graham.
writes
wrote:

charles wrote:

In the summer of 1953, someone from London with a new holiday home in
Arisaig fitted a Band 1 aerial. tv arrived (on uhf) some time in
the 80s.

Presumably it was for channel 1, Crystal/Alex Palace.

Years ago I had a customer who had lived in Aberdeen and had retired to
Yorkshire, where he lived in a terrible reception area. He refused to
believe that there could be a reception problem on the grounds that
'this is near London'.

Bill

And mobile phones are rubbish, I was at the checkouts in Tescos and
tried to ring SWMBO, it said no signal, but she was onlt in fruit &
veg.

You just prolly had problems pearing

Apple phone would have worked..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

charles wrote:

In the summer of 1953, someone from London with a new holiday home in
Arisaig fitted a Band 1 aerial. tv arrived (on uhf) some time in the 80s.

Presumably it was for channel 1, Crystal/Alex Palace.

Years ago I had a customer who had lived in Aberdeen and had retired to
Yorkshire, where he lived in a terrible reception area. He refused to
believe that there could be a reception problem on the grounds that
'this is near London'.

Bill

And mobile phones are rubbish, I was at the checkouts in Tescos and
tried to ring SWMBO, it said no signal, but she was onlt in fruit &
veg.

Should have tried the toothpaste aisle...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

charles wrote:

In the summer of 1953, someone from London with a new holiday home in
Arisaig fitted a Band 1 aerial. tv arrived (on uhf) some time in the 80s.

Presumably it was for channel 1, Crystal/Alex Palace.

Years ago I had a customer who had lived in Aberdeen and had retired to
Yorkshire, where he lived in a terrible reception area. He refused to
believe that there could be a reception problem on the grounds that
'this is near London'.

Bill

And mobile phones are rubbish, I was at the checkouts in Tescos and
tried to ring SWMBO, it said no signal, but she was onlt in fruit &
veg.

Should have tried the toothpaste aisle...

....Packs of Signal.
(Took me a while)

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

SOn Wed, 7 Nov 2012 22:37:30 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Graham.
writes
wrote:

Graham. wrote:

In about 1982 a brand new shiny Band III aerial went up on my patch. I
remember thinking how short-sighted that was.

I did some freebies for a charity and often they had installed a 405
only set in the recipient's house, and I had to do the aerial.

Bill

In the '70s if the customer had a UHF aerial they often left the
rotary tuner set to BBC2 and used VHF/405 for BBC1/ITV.
Set design on 625 was so crap that in many cases the picture was
subjectively better on 405 anyway.

In the 1960s, I had a Ferguson 3000 (?) black and white set, and the
625-line picture was sort-of 'soft' and rather fuzzy. The 405-line
pictures had far better sharpness and contrast.

So much so that I took some 35mm shots of the Apollo 11 mission off
the screen of our 23in dual-standard Bush on 405, when the same
programme was also available on 625.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

So much so that I took some 35mm shots of the Apollo 11 mission off
the screen of our 23in dual-standard Bush on 405, when the same
programme was also available on 625.

Look guys this is all vastly amusing but does anyone want these ****ing
aerials?

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2012 01:43, Bill Wright wrote:
Graham. wrote:

So much so that I took some 35mm shots of the Apollo 11 mission off
the screen of our 23in dual-standard Bush on 405, when the same
programme was also available on 625.

Look guys this is all vastly amusing but does anyone want these ****ing
aerials?

Bill

Well it might help if you said where they were. It could be a long
journey to collect a 15 quid aerial.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Nov 8, 9:11*am, Owain wrote:
On Nov 8, 1:43*am, Bill Wright *wrote:

Look guys this is all vastly amusing but does anyone want these ****ing
aerials?

Are they digital?

And widescreen?

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote in news:ag1c59F276qU1
@mid.individual.net:

Graham. wrote:

So much so that I took some 35mm shots of the Apollo 11 mission off
the screen of our 23in dual-standard Bush on 405, when the same
programme was also available on 625.

Look guys this is all vastly amusing but does anyone want these ****ing
aerials?

Bill

Well it might help if you said where they were. It could be a long
journey to collect a 15 quid aerial.

Have new TVs ditched the analogue tuner now?
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
And mobile phones are rubbish, I was at the checkouts in Tescos and
tried to ring SWMBO, it said no signal, but she was onlt in fruit &
veg.

You just prolly had problems pearing

Apple phone would have worked..

Or maybe a Blackberry...?

Rod.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
And mobile phones are rubbish, I was at the checkouts in Tescos and
tried to ring SWMBO, it said no signal, but she was onlt in fruit &
veg.

You just prolly had problems pearing

Apple phone would have worked..

Or maybe a Blackberry...?

Rod.
--

You could have built one from a Raspberry Pi..

...but without the proper red and black currents, not much chance of it
working.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
And mobile phones are rubbish,

I was at the checkouts in Tescos and
tried to ring SWMBO, it said

no signal, but she was onlt in fruit &
veg.

You just prolly had problems pearing

Apple phone would have worked..

Or maybe a Blackberry...?

Rod.
--

You could have built one from a Raspberry Pi..

...but without the proper red and black currents, not much chance of it
working.

It's enough to make you feel quite meloncholy.

Rod.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
And mobile phones are rubbish, I was at the checkouts in Tescos and
tried to ring SWMBO, it said no signal, but she was onlt in fruit &
veg.

You just prolly had problems pearing

Apple phone would have worked..

Or maybe a Blackberry...?

Only on Orange.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
And mobile phones are rubbish, I was at the checkouts in Tescos and
tried to ring SWMBO, it said no signal, but she was onlt in fruit &
veg.

You just prolly had problems pearing

Apple phone would have worked..

Or maybe a Blackberry...?

Rod.
--

You could have built one from a Raspberry Pi..

..but without the proper red and black currents, not much chance of it
working.

ok if you carefully select alternatives of the right size. Measure them
with a green gauge perhaps?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote:
And mobile phones are rubbish, I was at the checkouts in Tescos and
tried to ring SWMBO, it said no signal, but she was onlt in fruit &
veg.

You just prolly had problems pearing

Apple phone would have worked..

Or maybe a Blackberry...?

Only on Orange.

When your credit runs out why don't we get the Pips.

Probably run out of juice...

Tim

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Nov 8, 1:43 am, Bill Wright wrote:
Look guys this is all vastly amusing but does anyone want these ****ing
aerials?

Are they digital?

Owain

I knew someone would ask that. OK, I admit it, they are for three black
and white analogue channels? You've caught me out. Satisfied?

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

So much so that I took some 35mm shots of the Apollo 11 mission off
the screen of our 23in dual-standard Bush on 405, when the same
programme was also available on 625.

Look guys this is all vastly amusing but does anyone want these ****ing
aerials?

Bill

Well it might help if you said where they were. It could be a long
journey to collect a 15 quid aerial.

There's an assortment of XG14s, XG21s, MBM48s, MBM70s, MBM88s, various
groups. They are in the loft and hard to get at so I thought I'd see if
there was any interest before I went to have a look. It's 16 miles from
here as well.

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

So much so that I took some 35mm shots of the Apollo 11 mission off
the screen of our 23in dual-standard Bush on 405, when the same
programme was also available on 625.

Look guys this is all vastly amusing but does anyone want these ****ing
aerials?

Bill

Well it might help if you said where they were. It could be a long
journey to collect a 15 quid aerial.

There's an assortment of XG14s, XG21s, MBM48s, MBM70s, MBM88s, various
groups. They are in the loft and hard to get at so I thought I'd see if
there was any interest before I went to have a look. It's 16 miles from
here as well.

For them as don't know where "here" is I'll tell thee; he lives somwear
in't Sheffield-Rovrum area, otherwise known as't People's Republic on't
South Yorkshire.
--
Phil Cook
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:42:01 AM UTC, Halmyre wrote:
On Nov 8, 9:11*am, Owain wrote:

On Nov 8, 1:43*am, Bill Wright *wrote:

Look guys this is all vastly amusing but does anyone want these ****ing

aerials?

Are they digital?

And widescreen?

And do you need two of them to recieve 3D ;-)

--

Halmyre

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:37:52 PM UTC, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Graham.

writes

wrote:

Graham. wrote:

In about 1982 a brand new shiny Band III aerial went up on my patch. I

remember thinking how short-sighted that was.

I did some freebies for a charity and often they had installed a 405

only set in the recipient's house, and I had to do the aerial.

Bill

In the '70s if the customer had a UHF aerial they often left the

rotary tuner set to BBC2 and used VHF/405 for BBC1/ITV.

Set design on 625 was so crap that in many cases the picture was

subjectively better on 405 anyway.

In the 1960s, I had a Ferguson 3000 (?) black and white set, and the

625-line picture was sort-of 'soft' and rather fuzzy. The 405-line

pictures had far better sharpness and contrast.

--

Ian

Up in't Tyne-Tees area 625 arrived very late. Folk who had bought UHF sets in anticipation often found the valves in the UHF tuner had poisoned cathodes due to years of lack of use and the picture was pretty dire when they wanted it. When I were a lad, there was an unofficial procedure for running the heaters at 120% voltage and putting HT onto all electrodes (except cathode and 1st grid) for a minute to burn the gunge off the cathode. The kids today wouldn't believe this.

rusty.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

There's an assortment of XG14s, XG21s, MBM48s, MBM70s, MBM88s,
various groups. They are in the loft and hard to get at so I thought
I'd see if there was any interest before I went to have a look. It's
16 miles from here as well.

For them as don't know where "here" is I'll tell thee; he lives
somwear in't Sheffield-Rovrum area, otherwise known as't People's
Republic on't South Yorkshire.

That's Norf of Luton init?
I don't think my passport visa is valid that far

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and £5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Years ago I had a customer who had lived in Aberdeen and had retired to
Yorkshire, where he lived in a terrible reception area. He refused to
believe that there could be a reception problem on the grounds that
'this is near London'.

A few years ago, not long after I had discovered this group, friends
bought and restored a cottage in Wales, on the border west of
Shrewsbury. I called in just after they had finished, when he said the
TV signal was crap, he had installed the aerial from his old house.
Find out what you need for this area, I told him, one that works for
Waltham won't work here.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I'm clearing my dad's house and there a quite a few TV aerials there.
Ignoring the rubbish, there are some boxed high gain types. These are from
the Antiference XG range and the Jaybeam MBM range. All the aerials are
grouped. There are also some TC18As. Some of these aerials are from the
1980s but they are still in the original boxes. Some of the boxes are
battered, but the contents are OK. These are the high gain aerials of
choice if you want a grouped aerial. They knock the spots off wideband
models. I was thinking that maybe £15 to £25 would be fair for each
aerial, depending on type. If anyone's interested I'll go and note down
the exact types and groups. It would have to be buyer collect though.
These things would take a lot of parcelling up. If anyone wants to take
the lot I would accept maybe £15 per aerial.

Bill

How much?!?

www.aerialsandtv.com just up the road from you will do a brand new 18
element aerial for £26 - we bought one this year.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

These are brand new large high gain grouped aerials, not 18 element aerials.

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article , R. Mark Clayton
scribeth thus

[...]

Yeabut these are somewhat "historic" and new boxed, got to be worth a
few bob?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article , Ian Jackson ianREMOVET
scribeth thus
In message , Graham.
writes
wrote:

Graham. wrote:

In about 1982 a brand new shiny Band III aerial went up on my patch. I
remember thinking how short-sighted that was.

I did some freebies for a charity and often they had installed a 405
only set in the recipient's house, and I had to do the aerial.

Bill

In the '70s if the customer had a UHF aerial they often left the
rotary tuner set to BBC2 and used VHF/405 for BBC1/ITV.
Set design on 625 was so crap that in many cases the picture was
subjectively better on 405 anyway.

In the 1960s, I had a Ferguson 3000 (?) black and white set, and the
625-line picture was sort-of 'soft' and rather fuzzy. The 405-line
pictures had far better sharpness and contrast.

When I started work at PYE TVT I first saw what 625 line could do!,
amazed at how good it was but of course with the Neg going modulation it
did seem less vibrant than what the Pos 405 line did but the detail was
astounding for those times!.

Also converted an olde 405 line set to 625 managed to get the timebase
up there tweaked the IF, added a UHF tuner changed the demod diode
polarity built up an FM strip for the sound demod, bit of a sod that but
still.

Course in those days receiving Crystal palace just south of Cambridge
wasn't too good but on a few foggy nights when there was a bit of a lift
on it was surprising just what could be achieved...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article , Bill Wright
scribeth thus
Graham. wrote:

So much so that I took some 35mm shots of the Apollo 11 mission off
the screen of our 23in dual-standard Bush on 405, when the same
programme was also available on 625.

Look guys this is all vastly amusing but does anyone want these ****ing
aerials?

Bill

Wouldn't mind one of the Jaybeam parabeam ones perhaps, for group B if
you have one?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
wrote:
And mobile phones are rubbish, I was at the checkouts in Tescos and
tried to ring SWMBO, it said no signal, but she was onlt in fruit &
veg.

You just prolly had problems pearing

Apple phone would have worked..

Or maybe a Blackberry...?

Rod.
--

You could have built one from a Raspberry Pi..

..but without the proper red and black currents, not much chance of it
working.

ok if you carefully select alternatives of the right size. Measure them
with a green gauge perhaps?

What have I started ??

--
geoff
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Graham. wrote:

So much so that I took some 35mm shots of the Apollo 11 mission off
the screen of our 23in dual-standard Bush on 405, when the same
programme was also available on 625.

Look guys this is all vastly amusing but does anyone want these ****ing

aerials?

Ah they're reproducing now then, are they ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil Cook
writes
Graham. wrote:

So much so that I took some 35mm shots of the Apollo 11 mission off
the screen of our 23in dual-standard Bush on 405, when the same
programme was also available on 625.

Look guys this is all vastly amusing but does anyone want these ****ing
aerials?

Bill
Well it might help if you said where they were. It could be a long
journey to collect a 15 quid aerial.

There's an assortment of XG14s, XG21s, MBM48s, MBM70s, MBM88s, various
groups. They are in the loft and hard to get at so I thought I'd see if
there was any interest before I went to have a look. It's 16 miles from
here as well.

For them as don't know where "here" is I'll tell thee; he lives somwear
in't Sheffield-Rovrum area, otherwise known as't People's Republic on't
South Yorkshire.

Is that where they paint the top third of the picture blue and the
bottom third green and call it colour TV?

--
geoff