Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grate spelling mistakes of our time

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11023364/jigsaw.jpg

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Funnily enough, some years ago the classic mistake was made on a circular to
council workers about the library opening hours. Unfortunately it apparently
said at the top.
Note new Pubic Library opening hours from April.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11023364/jigsaw.jpg

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2012 09:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
Funnily enough, some years ago the classic mistake was made on a circular to
council workers about the library opening hours. Unfortunately it apparently
said at the top.
Note new Pubic Library opening hours from April.

I had to read that many times before noticing the missing "l"

Pete
--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.water-rower.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2012 09:14, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 06/11/2012 09:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
Funnily enough, some years ago the classic mistake was made on a circular to
council workers about the library opening hours. Unfortunately it apparently
said at the top.
Note new Pubic Library opening hours from April.

I had to read that many times before noticing the missing "l"

Pete

It should have been for Christmas opening hours.

groan
Noel.
/groan

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk :
On 06/11/2012 09:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
Funnily enough, some years ago the classic mistake was made on a circular to
council workers about the library opening hours. Unfortunately it apparently
said at the top.
Note new Pubic Library opening hours from April.

I had to read that many times before noticing the missing "l"

That particular spelling mistake happens so often it must sometimes be
deliberate.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Funnily enough, some years ago the classic mistake was made on a circular
to council workers about the library opening hours. Unfortunately it
apparently said at the top.
Note new Pubic Library opening hours from April.

The local rag printed a proud boast from our local council "No cuts to pubic
services". I haven't found out precisely what services they offer yet :-).

Paul DS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1176993 20121106 090149 "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Funnily enough, some years ago the classic mistake was made on a circular to
council workers about the library opening hours. Unfortunately it apparently
said at the top.
Note new Pubic Library opening hours from April.

My favourite was the caption to a photo in the East Kent Gazette of a
soon-to-be married young woman : "Miss Smith and her finance".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:31:01 AM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11023364/jigsaw.jpg

Bill

Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something " different than " instead of "different from" or "different to"
Bloody Yanks.

And they spell Aesthetics as Esthetic. No one is asking for the diaeresis / umlaut but it just looks so bloody ignorant. Like a childs spelling mistake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2012 13:17, fred wrote:

And they spell Aesthetics as Esthetic. No one is asking for the
diaeresis / umlaut but it just looks so bloody ignorant. Like a
childs spelling mistake.

^^^^^^

Oops!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message
On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:31:01 AM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11023364/jigsaw.jpg

Bill

Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something "
different than " instead of "different from" or "different to"
Bloody Yanks.

And they spell Aesthetics as Esthetic. No one is asking for the diaeresis
/ umlaut but it just looks so bloody ignorant. Like a childs [SIC]
spelling mistake.

It's people's inability to deal with apostrophes properly that gets me.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
"fred" wrote in message
On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:31:01 AM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11023364/jigsaw.jpg

Bill

Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something "
different than " instead of "different from" or "different to"
Bloody Yanks.

And they spell Aesthetics as Esthetic. No one is asking for the diaeresis
/ umlaut but it just looks so bloody ignorant. Like a childs [SIC]
spelling mistake.

It's people's inability to deal with apostrophes properly that gets me.

-------peoples'----

HTH.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson :
Dave Baker wrote:
"fred" wrote in message news:1ab989bd-
On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:31:01 AM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11023364/jigsaw.jpg

Bill
Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something "
different than " instead of "different from" or "different to"
Bloody Yanks.

And they spell Aesthetics as Esthetic. No one is asking for the
diaeresis / umlaut but it just looks so bloody ignorant. Like a
childs [SIC] spelling mistake.

It's people's inability to deal with apostrophes properly that gets
me.

-------peoples'----

HTH.

You jest, surely.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/12 13:56, John Williamson wrote:
Dave Baker wrote:
"fred" wrote in message
On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:31:01 AM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11023364/jigsaw.jpg

Bill
Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something "
different than " instead of "different from" or "different to"
Bloody Yanks.

And they spell Aesthetics as Esthetic. No one is asking for the
diaeresis / umlaut but it just looks so bloody ignorant. Like a
childs [SIC] spelling mistake.

It's people's inability to deal with apostrophes properly that gets me.

-------peoples'----

No, because the plural of person is not peoples.

HTH.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
"fred" wrote in message
On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:31:01 AM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11023364/jigsaw.jpg

Bill
Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something "
different than " instead of "different from" or "different to"
Bloody Yanks.

And they spell Aesthetics as Esthetic. No one is asking for the
diaeresis / umlaut but it just looks so bloody ignorant. Like a
childs [SIC] spelling mistake.

It's people's inability to deal with apostrophes properly that gets me.

-------peoples'----

No, because the plural of person is not peoples.

Isn't there a Usenet law about this? :-/

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
"fred" wrote in message
On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:31:01 AM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11023364/jigsaw.jpg

Bill
Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something "
different than " instead of "different from" or "different to" Bloody
Yanks.

And they spell Aesthetics as Esthetic. No one is asking for the
diaeresis / umlaut but it just looks so bloody ignorant. Like a
childs [SIC] spelling mistake.

It's people's inability to deal with apostrophes properly that gets
me.

-------peoples'----

No, because the plural of person is not peoples.

HTH.

Exactly. But, to quote Harry Enfield, "It's peeps' ability..." would be
OK.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Baker
writes

It's people's inability to deal with apostrophes properly that gets me.

Point 'em at this:

http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif

or you might prefer:

http://www.angryflower.com/destro.html

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred :

Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something "
different than " instead of "different from" or "different to"

They feel exactly the same about our "different to".

Bloody Yanks.

And about our "bloody", come to that.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2012 14:55, Mike Barnes wrote:
fred :

Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something "
different than " instead of "different from" or "different to"

They feel exactly the same about our "different to".

Bloody Yanks.

And about our "bloody", come to that.

By Our Lady?

It's insure/ensure that get me. They spell them both with an I, as far
as I can tell. I think there's a difference between ensuring my car
works, and insuring it.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 19:48:21 +0000, Andy Champ
wrote:

On 07/11/2012 14:55, Mike Barnes wrote:
fred :

Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something "
different than " instead of "different from" or "different to"

They feel exactly the same about our "different to".

Bloody Yanks.

And about our "bloody", come to that.

By Our Lady?

It's insure/ensure that get me. They spell them both with an I, as far
as I can tell. I think there's a difference between ensuring my car
works, and insuring it.

Then, of course, there's "envision" instead of "envisage"...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 07/11/2012 14:55, Mike Barnes wrote:
fred :

Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something "
different than " instead of "different from" or "different to"

They feel exactly the same about our "different to".

Bloody Yanks.

And about our "bloody", come to that.

By Our Lady?

It's insure/ensure that get me. They spell them both with an I, as far
as I can tell. I think there's a difference between ensuring my car
works, and insuring it.

Then, of course, there's "envision" instead of "envisage"...

No, envisioning is envisaging with peruvian marching powder.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 7, 2012 7:48:21 PM UTC, Andy Champ wrote:
On 07/11/2012 14:55, Mike Barnes wrote:

fred :

Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something "

different than " instead of "different from" or "different to"

They feel exactly the same about our "different to".

Bloody Yanks.

And about our "bloody", come to that.

By Our Lady?

It's insure/ensure that get me. They spell them both with an I, as far

as I can tell. I think there's a difference between ensuring my car

works, and insuring it.

what about assurance and insurance

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2012 13:17, fred wrote:
On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:31:01 AM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11023364/jigsaw.jpg

Bill

Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something " different than " instead of "different from" or "different to"
Bloody Yanks.

And they spell Aesthetics as Esthetic. No one is asking for the diaeresis / umlaut but it just looks so bloody ignorant. Like a childs spelling mistake.

Similar transitions have occurred in many words, such as Oesophagus /
Esophagus (typing that, am surprised it has not yet become Esofagus).
Which results in different acronyms for Lower Oesophageal Sphincter -
LOS / LES. And the idea of typing LES sticks in the throat.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2012 13:17, fred wrote:

Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something "
different than " instead of "different from" or "different to"

'Different from' or 'similar to'. Not 'different to'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/7/2012 10:26 AM, F wrote:
On 07/11/2012 13:17, fred wrote:

Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something "
different than " instead of "different from" or "different to"

'Different from' or 'similar to'. Not 'different to'.

Yes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2012 13:17, fred wrote:
On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:31:01 AM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11023364/jigsaw.jpg

Bill

Its the revolting habit now creeping in of talking about something " different than " instead of "different from" or "different to"
Bloody Yanks.

And they spell Aesthetics as Esthetic. No one is asking for the diaeresis / umlaut but it just looks so bloody ignorant. Like a childs spelling mistake.

.... and they spell paedophile like someone with a foot fetish.

--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 06:30:59 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11023364/jigsaw.jpg

Obviously a tool for burglars.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11023364/jigsaw.jpg

Obviously a tool for burglars.

At the top of the picture "100% (1/1) of people recommend this"

So it's not a widely known item, then. :-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It is funny how I found this sit I will tell you how ...

I was in the car getting a case for my tablet , that I am using and I googeled silly spelling mastakes and I found this great opportunity for you to win ! Not a thin lol... okay then I look at this site and yer.😆😆😆

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
It is funny how I found this sit I will tell you how ...

I was in the car getting a case for my tablet , that I am using and I
googeled silly spelling mastakes and I found this great opportunity for you
to win ! Not a thin lol... okay then I look at this site and yer.??????

**** off Betty you stupid ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 20:12:39 -0000, "Phil L"
wrote:

wrote in message
It is funny how I found this sit I will tell you how ...

I was in the car getting a case for my tablet , that I am using and I
googeled silly spelling mastakes and I found this great opportunity for you
to win ! Not a thin lol... okay then I look at this site and yer.??????

**** off Betty you stupid ****.

Posted from Fowl Mouth in Cornwall.

When I read that she bought a case for her tablet, I genuinely
pictured her going into a chemists for a box for her medication.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11023364/jigsaw.jpg

That is how you spel steal, as ene skoolboy kno.

http://people.usd.edu/~bwjames/humor/spell.html

Gordon