Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Electrocuted to death"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...p-dodd-1417161

Ill-educated, semi-literate, imbeciles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...p-dodd-1417161

Ill-educated, semi-literate, imbeciles.

What's wrong with electrocuted to death?

I suppose it could be electrocuted until dead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/12 20:58, soup wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...p-dodd-1417161

Ill-educated, semi-literate, imbeciles.

What's wrong with electrocuted to death?

electrocution is execution by electricity and implies death already

I suppose it could be electrocuted until dead.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) a system of government where the least capable to
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 20:58:44 +0000, soup wrote:

I suppose it could be electrocuted until dead.

Electrified, if that doesn't sound a bit flippant.
Simply shocked to death is perfectly acceptable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2012 20:58, soup wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...p-dodd-1417161

Ill-educated, semi-literate, imbeciles.

What's wrong with electrocuted to death?

I suppose it could be electrocuted until dead.

Well my dictionary defines electrocute as "kill by electricity" - so, if
you ain't dead you ain't electrocuted. "Electrocute to death" is
therefore a tautology.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artculo , The Natural Philosopher
escribi:

electrocution is execution by electricity and implies death already

I'd understood electrocution to mean 'receiving an electric shock', not
necessarily to the point of death.

Checked several online dictionaries and the majority agree that it means
to 'kill by electricity', but Oxford says:

Definition of electrocute
verb [with object]: injure or kill (someone) by electric shock: 'a man
was electrocuted on the rail track'

Note the 'or'.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2012 03:29, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artculo , The Natural Philosopher
escribi:

electrocution is execution by electricity and implies death already

I'd understood electrocution to mean 'receiving an electric shock', not
necessarily to the point of death.

Checked several online dictionaries and the majority agree that it means
to 'kill by electricity', but Oxford says:

Definition of electrocute
verb [with object]: injure or kill (someone) by electric shock: 'a man
was electrocuted on the rail track'

Note the 'or'.

Perhaps the etymology is more explicit than current-day ha! definitions?

electrocute (v.)
"execute by electricity," 1889, American English, from electro- +
back half of execute. The method first was used Aug. 6, 1890, in New
York state, on William Kemmler, convicted of the murder of his
common-law wife. Sense involving accidental death is first recorded
1909. Electric chair is also first recorded 1889, which is when the
first one was introduced in New York state as a humane alternative to
hanging. Related: Electrocuted; electrocuting.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=electrocute

electrocution (n.) Look up electrocution at Dictionary.com
1890; see electrocute + -ion. Meaning "any death by electricity" is
from 1940.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=electrocution

You can imagine that some lazy, ignorant, sensationationalist
journalist(s) used the word in non-fatal cases. The OED (as it says it
does) simply recorded its usage. And that has been used to backup its
non-fatal usage ever since.

Also:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/electrocute#English
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/electrocution

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It all depends on what you mean by electrocuted I suppose.
Its a funny old term.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...p-dodd-1417161

Ill-educated, semi-literate, imbeciles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2012 03:29, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artculo , The Natural Philosopher
escribi:

electrocution is execution by electricity and implies death already

I'd understood electrocution to mean 'receiving an electric shock', not
necessarily to the point of death.

Checked several online dictionaries and the majority agree that it means
to 'kill by electricity', but Oxford says:

Definition of electrocute
verb [with object]: injure or kill (someone) by electric shock: 'a man
was electrocuted on the rail track'

Note the 'or'.

I seem to recall that the term came into common use as a portmanteau of
the words electric and execute around the time of the "war of the
currents" in the US.

I have always felt it should only ever be used for fatal electric shocks.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes

Electrified, if that doesn't sound a bit flippant.

To me, 'electrified' means the same as 'energised' - i.e. it's live.

Or to describe something which has been converted to work on electrical
power - 'the water pump is now electrified'

Or to describe something particularly gripping - 'the movie was
electrifying'

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 5, 2012 1:29:15 PM UTC, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 04:55:19 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave

wrote:

I thought it was 'ok' to be electrocuted and not die from it.

That's like saying 'fatally shot' and not die from it.

So why does one headline read.....

"Contractor killed after being electrocuted in Marks and Spencer store"

why mention being killed.
or what is the term when you grab hold of say the live wire and you jerk around a bit or get flung over the other side of the room but survive, is it that you've just recived an electric shock ?
I wonder if you can be brought back to life after being electrocuted or is that an oxymoron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/12 12:44, geraldthehamster wrote:
On 5 Nov, 03:36, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el art culo , The Natural Philosopher
escribi :

electrocution is execution by electricity and implies death already

I'd understood electrocution to mean 'receiving an electric shock', not
necessarily to the point of death.

Checked several online dictionaries and the majority agree that it means
to 'kill by electricity', but Oxford says:

Definition of electrocute
verb [with object]: injure or kill (someone) by electric shock: 'a man
was electrocuted on the rail track'

Note the 'or'.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Indeed. Electrocution may indeed be a method of execution, but so are
hanging and shooting. None necessarily has a fatal outcome: you can be
electrocuted, hanged or shot, but survive.

in which case it wasn't an execution...

Cheers
Richard

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) a system of government where the least capable to
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I thought it was 'ok' to be electrocuted and not die from it.

That's like saying 'fatally shot' and not die from it.

So why does one headline read.....

"Contractor killed after being electrocuted in Marks and Spencer
store"

Because it was written by a sub editor with the intellect of a sausage?

why mention being killed. or what is the term when you grab hold of
say the live wire and you jerk around a bit or get flung over the
other side of the room but survive, is it that you've just recived an
electric shock ?

I would say so.

I wonder if you can be brought back to life after
being electrocuted or is that an oxymoron

I suppose in the sense that one can be clinically dead and revived, then
you might argue yes. Although in that case it would probably be
incorrect to use the term electrocution in the first place, since
execution typically denotes a certain amount of finality.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...p-dodd-1417161

Ill-educated, semi-literate, imbeciles.

Marks and Sparks, eh?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I thought it was 'ok' to be electrocuted and not die from it.

That's like saying 'fatally shot' and not die from it.

Language, and its use, changes. Get over it.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 05/11/12 03:29, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Checked several online dictionaries and the majority agree that it means
to 'kill by electricity', but Oxford says:

Definition of electrocute
verb [with object]: injure or kill (someone) by electric shock: 'a man
was electrocuted on the rail track'

Note the 'or'.

Unfortunately all modern dictionaries take the wimpy way and just record
usage, rather than attempt to define a correct meaning. Which might be
reasonable if they confined citation to the careful and literate, but
they feel the need to be democratic and give weight to the babbling of
the ignorant. And thus our language slowly turns to mush.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 5, 2012 4:47:28 PM UTC, djc wrote:
On 05/11/12 03:29, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Checked several online dictionaries and the majority agree that it means

to 'kill by electricity', but Oxford says:

Definition of electrocute

verb [with object]: injure or kill (someone) by electric shock: 'a man

was electrocuted on the rail track'

Note the 'or'.

Unfortunately all modern dictionaries take the wimpy way and just record

usage,

That's what dictonaries are for, if you want history read it in latin.

rather than attempt to define a correct meaning.

The corect meaning is what teh current population use.

Which might be

reasonable if they confined citation to the careful and literate,

So what do the words faggot or gay mean ?
According to you a faggot is bundle of sticks, twigs, or small branches of trees bound together and used for firewood.

Luckily were' all in the UK so we know what a fag is.

they feel the need to be democratic and give weight to the babbling of

the ignorant. And thus our language slowly turns to mush.

Doesn't that depend on what dictionaries are for, I thought they were to tell you how the English language is curently spoken otherwise they'd all be in shakespearn English. Don;t forget English is a live modern language and changes in fact even the OED like it or not updates.

--

djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artculo , djc
escribi:

And thus our language slowly turns to mush.

I prefer to think it's evolving, as another poster said.

And English is anything but a pure language:

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

-- James D. Nicoll

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el art*culo , djc
escribió:

And thus our language slowly turns to mush.

I prefer to think it's evolving, as another poster said.

And English is anything but a pure language:

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

-- James D. Nicoll

I do not like reckless sloppiness and I do support the concept of a "correct
and standard English" - if you go with the flow, the place will simply
degenerate into a set of local dialects. I have nothing against dialects,
but they have no place in taught English.

To refer to an earlier post in this thread, I don't know what other people
think "faggots" are, but we in East Sussex still have faggot-making on the
Bonfire Society list of things to do :_)

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2012 21:25, Tim Watts wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el art*culo , djc
escribió:

[...]

Shouldn't that be on the cookery club activities?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

On 05/11/2012 21:25, Tim Watts wrote:

To refer to an earlier post in this thread, I don't know what other
people think "faggots" are, but we in East Sussex still have
faggot-making on the Bonfire Society list of things to do :_)

Shouldn't that be on the cookery club activities?

;-

And when I was a kid, I assumed Brains' Faggots were made of brains. Yuk...
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2012 21:47, Tim Watts wrote:
polygonum wrote:

On 05/11/2012 21:25, Tim Watts wrote:

To refer to an earlier post in this thread, I don't know what other
people think "faggots" are, but we in East Sussex still have
faggot-making on the Bonfire Society list of things to do :_)

Shouldn't that be on the cookery club activities?

;-

And when I was a kid, I assumed Brains' Faggots were made of brains. Yuk...

Brains' frozen faggots:

West Country Sauce (62%) Contains: Water, Lard, Wheat Flour, Modified
Maize Starch, Tomato Puree, Salt, Colour (E150c), Yeast Extract, Sugar,
Onion Flavour, Spice & Herb Extracts (Celery).

Pork Faggots (38%) Contains: Water, Rusks, Rehydrated Pork Rind, Pork
Liver (15%), Onion, Pork (4%), Pork Fat, Wheat Flour, Salt, Sage, Spice
Extracts

But no brains. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 07:44:14 -0800 (PST), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

Language, and its use, changes. Get over it.

Yes, from you, that's expected.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 09:07:13 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

So what do the words faggot or gay mean ?
According to you a faggot is bundle of sticks, twigs, or small branches of trees bound together and used for firewood.

Luckily were' all in the UK so we know what a fag is.

That's a cigarette, then?
Luckily, we're not in the USA, else stepping out for a fag would be
tedious.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So what do the words faggot or gay mean ?
According to you a faggot is bundle of sticks, twigs, or small branches of trees bound together and used for firewood.

Luckily were' all in the UK so we know what a fag is.

That's a cigarette, then?
Luckily, we're not in the USA, else stepping out for a fag would be
tedious.

No - it's a pleb summoned to polish your shoes, make your bed, ...

(What was that about class divisions?)

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 21:59:22 +0000, polygonum
wrote:

And when I was a kid, I assumed Brains' Faggots were made of brains. Yuk...

Brains' frozen faggots:

West Country Sauce (62%) Contains: Water, Lard, Wheat Flour, Modified
Maize Starch, Tomato Puree, Salt, Colour (E150c), Yeast Extract, Sugar,
Onion Flavour, Spice & Herb Extracts (Celery).

Pork Faggots (38%) Contains: Water, Rusks, Rehydrated Pork Rind, Pork
Liver (15%), Onion, Pork (4%), Pork Fat, Wheat Flour, Salt, Sage, Spice
Extracts

But no brains. :-)

As a kid, when I visited England on holiday (before the days of really
cheap mass airline package travel, a visit to Devon was the bee's
knees) I enjoyed faggots and saveloys. Couldn't get them in Scotland.
Mind you, we had our own offal dishes, and some were pretty awful too.
Mine wasn't a fussy generation though; I suspect it was because our
parents lived through the privations of the War and made sure we could
eat near enough anything that once moved.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

My favourite from past the border was Scotch Pies - pastry that could
have been leather and goodness knows what inside! But for some reason I
really did like them.

And faggots seem to be so leaden, bready, and nothing like they used to
be. So don't eat them any more.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/12 21:25, Tim Watts wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el art*culo , djc
escribió:

[...]

Faggots are spiced meatballs in gravy.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) a system of government where the least capable to
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Ofcom Advertising complaints bulletin  July 
Harm and Offence
Somerfield
Key  FM (Manchester); Heart . (Greater London);
Forth FM (Edinburgh and East Central Scotland)
Issue
=====
A commercial featured a husband challenging his wifes
repetitive routine of a set meal for each day of the week.
While he wanted lasagne, he was told that, as it was Friday,
he was to have faggots. He responded: Ive nothing against
faggots, I just dont fancy them.
Three listeners were offended, as they believed the
husbands response alluded to homosexuals, faggots being
a derogatory term for them.
Response
=========
The advertiser said: The ad refers only to food products.
Faggots were chosen to demonstrate the idea because they
are commonly perceived as an outdated and slightly comical
product, not because of any possible allusions to
homosexuality. It also chose to reassure [us] that the ad
was on air for only five days ... and ... [did] not plan to run
the advert again.
The Radio Advertising Clearance Centre (RACC) confirmed
that the reference to faggots was clearly made in the
context of food... and added that the script was one of a
number approved for a campaign to persuade people to
shop regularly and grab whatever you fancy, when you
fancy it.
Decision
=========
Irrespective of the advertisers denial of intent and the brevity of
the campaign, we believed that the aired comment was likely to have been
perceived at best as innuendo. The phrase Ive got nothing against
faggots, I just dont fancy them could clearly be seen in connection
with homosexuality. As the term faggot, when used in this context, is
a highly derogatory term, we believed that it was capable of causing
serious offence. The advertisement had therefore breached Section  Rule
 (Good Taste, Decency and Offence to Public Feeling) of the Advertising
and Sponsorship Code.
Conclusion
===========
The advertisement must not be broadcast again in its present form.
---------------------

You couldn't make it up..

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) a system of government where the least capable to
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 21:59:22 on Mon, 5 Nov
2012, polygonum remarked:
Brains' frozen faggots:

West Country Sauce (62%) Contains: Water, Lard, Wheat Flour, Modified
Maize Starch, Tomato Puree, Salt, Colour (E150c), Yeast Extract, Sugar,
Onion Flavour, Spice & Herb Extracts (Celery).

Pork Faggots (38%) Contains: Water, Rusks, Rehydrated Pork Rind, Pork
Liver (15%), Onion, Pork (4%), Pork Fat, Wheat Flour, Salt, Sage, Spice
Extracts

But no brains. :-)

And seemingly only about 25% meat (using the term loosely).
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 05/11/12 21:59, polygonum wrote:

Brains' frozen faggots:

West Country Sauce (62%) Contains: Water, Lard, Wheat Flour, Modified
Maize Starch, Tomato Puree, Salt, Colour (E150c), Yeast Extract, Sugar,
Onion Flavour, Spice & Herb Extracts (Celery).

Pork Faggots (38%) Contains: Water, Rusks, Rehydrated Pork Rind, Pork
Liver (15%), Onion, Pork (4%), Pork Fat, Wheat Flour, Salt, Sage, Spice
Extracts

But no brains. :-)

I think I might prefer the brains

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Nov, 16:47, djc wrote:

Unfortunately all modern dictionaries take the wimpy way and just record
usage, rather than attempt to define a correct meaning. Which might be
reasonable if they confined citation to the careful and literate, but
they feel the need to be democratic and give weight to the babbling of
the ignorant. And thus our language slowly turns to mush.

os is mn woruld heofenas, so sunne, trow, ceras,
godu, ylfe ond mn tw stranga handa

Beo wel, frend

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 23:00:42 +0000, polygonum
wrote:

My favourite from past the border was Scotch Pies - pastry that could
have been leather and goodness knows what inside! But for some reason I
really did like them.

Even in Scotland, they varied tremendously. The mass-produced ones
were usually as you describe and quite inedible unless you were
half-drunk and starving.
Otoh, a good local baker could knock out some absolutely delicious
ones with pastry worth eating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 23:20:36 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Decision
=========
Irrespective of the advertisers denial of intent and the brevity of
the campaign, we believed that the aired comment was likely to have been
perceived at best as innuendo. The phrase Ive got nothing against
faggots, I just dont fancy them could clearly be seen in connection
with homosexuality. As the term faggot, when used in this context, is
a highly derogatory term, we believed that it was capable of causing
serious offence. The advertisement had therefore breached Section ? Rule
? (Good Taste, Decency and Offence to Public Feeling) of the Advertising
and Sponsorship Code.
Conclusion
===========
The advertisement must not be broadcast again in its present form.
---------------------

You couldn't make it up..

I strongly suspect there were poofs on the panel. Some poofs have a
perceptual set about words like that and are blind to innocent,
historical useage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 04:50:18 -0800 (PST), geraldthehamster
wrote:

os is mn woruld heofenas, so sunne, trow, ceras,
godu, ylfe ond mn tw stranga handa

Beo wel, frend

Maevidal abarrsd!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My favourite from past the border was Scotch Pies - pastry that could
have been leather and goodness knows what inside! But for some reason I
really did like them.

Even in Scotland, they varied tremendously. The mass-produced ones
were usually as you describe and quite inedible unless you were
half-drunk and starving.
Otoh, a good local baker could knock out some absolutely delicious
ones with pastry worth eating.

My memory is from when I was living in Ayrshire in 1962/3. A lot has
likely changed in the world of the Scotch pie since then. The last one I
had, bought from a butcher's shop, was 87.6% mutton fat, and had been
heated on the turbo of a Saab for 20 miles or so - somewhere not too far
from Aberdeen or Inverness or Wick - memory is not being more specific!
It was pretty disgusting.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My favourite from past the border was Scotch Pies - pastry that could
have been leather and goodness knows what inside! But for some reason I
really did like them.

Even in Scotland, they varied tremendously. The mass-produced ones
were usually as you describe and quite inedible unless you were
half-drunk and starving.
Otoh, a good local baker could knock out some absolutely delicious
ones with pastry worth eating.

My memory is from when I was living in Ayrshire in 1962/3. A lot has
likely changed in the world of the Scotch pie since then. The last one I
had, bought from a butcher's shop, was 87.6% mutton fat, and had been
heated on the turbo of a Saab for 20 miles or so - somewhere not too far
from Aberdeen or Inverness or Wick - memory is not being more specific!
It was pretty disgusting.

Stop it! You're making my mouth water. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 5, 3:24*pm, "Mentalguy2k8" wrote:
"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...p-dodd-1417161

Ill-educated, semi-literate, imbeciles.

Marks and Sparks, eh?

Interesting then that the interwebby dictionaries source 'electrocute'
as being 'electricity' + 'execute', which seems remarkably sensible,
but then that leaves a gap in the language for being accidently killed
by electricity - you can't really have one word which covers
'execution' and 'accidental' death. Not that the inventors of the
word thought too much about it at the time, but 'electrocide' would
have semantically been more correct.
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2012 14:03, robgraham wrote:
On Nov 5, 3:24 pm, "Mentalguy2k8" wrote:
"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...p-dodd-1417161

Ill-educated, semi-literate, imbeciles.

Marks and Sparks, eh?

Interesting then that the interwebby dictionaries source 'electrocute'
as being 'electricity' + 'execute', which seems remarkably sensible,
but then that leaves a gap in the language for being accidently killed
by electricity - you can't really have one word which covers
'execution' and 'accidental' death. Not that the inventors of the
word thought too much about it at the time, but 'electrocide' would
have semantically been more correct.

Or he had an electrodent perhaps?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artculo
roups.com, robgraham escribi:

you can't really have one word which covers
'execution' and 'accidental' death.

"acctrocute"

runs away

--