Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Time Locks

Hi guys,

Anyone know where I can get a time lock from? I'm talking about the kind that you find used in safes that stay locked for so say 3 days or whatever and then release automatically and that cannot be overriden from outside once set.

I've looked on Ebay but nothing really fits the bill without having to buy the whole safe and I only want the lock. Any ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Could one ask what sort of thing you are going to lock up for three days? IE
is it a door, or something small?
There used to be some electronic locks like this I seem to remember, and
they failed safe if the battery went down, ie they opened, so yu did not
have to use a drill to get them open!

I'm sure it was an american company, but further than that I cannot recall.
Ideal for the kind kidnapper I thought.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message
Hi guys,

Anyone know where I can get a time lock from? I'm talking about the kind
that you find used in safes that stay locked for so say 3 days or whatever
and then release automatically and that cannot be overriden from outside
once set.

I've looked on Ebay but nothing really fits the bill without having to buy
the whole safe and I only want the lock. Any ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 November 2012 16:20:53 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi guys,

Anyone know where I can get a time lock from? I'm talking about the kind that you find used in safes that stay locked for so say 3 days or whatever and then release automatically and that cannot be overriden from outside once set.

I've looked on Ebay but nothing really fits the bill without having to buy the whole safe and I only want the lock. Any ideas?

The size isn't relevant, since I'm only after the lock mechanism. I'm going to attach it to an old wooden microscope box I have lying around.
I've thought about cobbling something up using 555 timers, but cannot seem to get any info on the maximum delay the things are capable of. All the circuits I've seen on line are for short durations only; seconds rather than days. I could cobble something up from scratch using high value capacitors and resitors to get sufficient discharge time, but it involves a lot of faffing about and time-consuming experiment and I'd sooner just pay for something that works...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 1, 2012 9:11:12 PM UTC, wrote:
[...]

I'd use a binary divider on a mains waveorm

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 1, 9:11*pm, wrote:
[...]

Arduino is the new 555 ;-)

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=70836.0

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 08:20:52 -0700, orion.osiris wrote:

Hi guys,

Anyone know where I can get a time lock from? I'm talking about the kind
that you find used in safes that stay locked for so say 3 days or
whatever and then release automatically and that cannot be overriden
from outside once set.

I've looked on Ebay but nothing really fits the bill without having to
buy the whole safe and I only want the lock. Any ideas?

Programmable boiler thermostat?

Or 555 running at 1Hz (say), throw that into a counter, use a comparator
to compare it against a bunch of DIP switches which set the desired time.
18 bits @ 1Hz will give you just over 3 days maximum. Not exactly a nice
UI if you need to change the trigger time often, of course :-)

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
Another idea may be to buy a cheep 12v digital time clock (around £8) and
use this to switch a 12v lock/solenoid/magnet etc.
Can be cobbled using a small 12v SLA battery but bear in mind current drain
otherwise battery will go flat.
If mains operation is possible any small timer can be used or even an old
central heating controller,only restraints would be size.
Most electrical locks come as standard in both Fail secure (locked if no
power) or fail safe (open on power fail).
HTH
CJ