Junior Member

Default Carpet & underlay

Hi guys,

I have a question about lifting and refitting carpet.

We changed our living room carpet a couple of years ago to a nice thick one but made the mistake of not changing the underlay to a higher spec 9mm or 11mm underlay. Now, a couple of years down the line the carpet is looking rather flat and old.

I am now wondering if it would be possible to lift the carpet, replace the underlay and refit the carpet or would it not fit once a the thicker underlay is put down? I am also planning on getting the carpet professionally cleaned to give it the “like new” appearance.

Your opinions/ advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/10/2012 13:21, hkazee wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a question about lifting and refitting carpet.

We changed our living room carpet a couple of years ago to a nice thick
one but made the mistake of not changing the underlay to a higher spec
9mm or 11mm underlay. Now, a couple of years down the line the carpet is
looking rather flat and old.

I am now wondering if it would be possible to lift the carpet, replace
the underlay and refit the carpet or would it not fit once a the thicker
underlay is put down? I am also planning on getting the carpet
professionally cleaned to give it the “like new” appearance.

Your opinions/ advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Some idea of what the carpet is made of and how it is fitted might help.
80 percent wool carpets will last really well but if I were doing the
same I would get a proffessional to do it.
One drawback with really thick underlay is that furniture legs make
really deep indentations that may not recover if the furniture is moved.
Lovely and springy and warm though. If you have to buy underlay retail
try and find a small supplier that will do a decent deal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
hkazee wrote:
I am now wondering if it would be possible to lift the carpet, replace
the underlay and refit the carpet or would it not fit once a the thicker
underlay is put down? I am also planning on getting the carpet
professionally cleaned to give it the “like new” appearance.

I did just that with a halls and stairs carpets - replaced the collapsed
green rubber on a fabric backing stuff with Cloud 9 - and gave it a good
shampoo/clean. Made a vast difference.

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:21:52 PM UTC, hkazee wrote:

Hi guys,
I have a question about lifting and refitting carpet.
We changed our living room carpet a couple of years ago to a nice thick
one but made the mistake of not changing the underlay to a higher spec
9mm or 11mm underlay. Now, a couple of years down the line the carpet is
looking rather flat and old.
I am now wondering if it would be possible to lift the carpet, replace
the underlay and refit the carpet

of course

or would it not fit once a the thicker
underlay is put down? I am also planning on getting the carpet
professionally cleaned to give it the �like new� appearance.

well, it won't be like new but it should be much improved.

Your opinions/ advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/10/2012 12:21, hkazee wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a question about lifting and refitting carpet.

We changed our living room carpet a couple of years ago to a nice thick
one but made the mistake of not changing the underlay to a higher spec
9mm or 11mm underlay. Now, a couple of years down the line the carpet is
looking rather flat and old.

A good cleaning will help:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...arpet_cleaning

I am now wondering if it would be possible to lift the carpet, replace
the underlay and refit the carpet or would it not fit once a the thicker
underlay is put down? I am also planning on getting the carpet
professionally cleaned to give it the “like new” appearance.

The thickness of the underlay won't make the room change size, so it
should still fit. You may need a knee kicker to get it back into place
on the gripper rods nice and snugly.

--
Cheers,

John.

Junior Member

any advice?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/10/2012 16:26, hkazee wrote:

any advice?

Yup, ditch diybanter and get a proper news account - you might see the
replies sooner!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...up_access_tips

--
Cheers,

John.

Junior Member

Thank you all for your help...it was very helpful and useful.

I was just concerned that with thicker underlay, the carpet wont meet the edges of the room again!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , hkazee
writes

Thank you all for your help...it was very helpful and useful.

I was just concerned that with thicker underlay, the carpet wont meet
the edges of the room again!

You might just have to shave a bit off the bottom of the doors.
--
hugh
Junior Member

I've used Cormar carpets.

Last edited by Bryan G : November 13th 12 at 03:26 PM

OT - Carpet underlay Invisible Man[_2_] UK diy 17 September 19th 09 09:57 PM
Joining hessian backed carpet over underlay without a carpet iron - how best to do??? JDT2Q UK diy 3 May 9th 09 07:48 AM
Carpet Underlay diy-newby UK diy 2 January 28th 08 01:24 PM
B&Q Carpet Underlay Lawrence Zarb UK diy 2 June 28th 04 01:53 PM
Using the old carpet as underlay for the new one Jake UK diy 0 July 5th 03 10:10 AM