Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gigabit network cabling

I'm thinking of running a cable through the wall between two rooms to
carry a gigabit connection between my router and NAS.

Can I simply install two wall plates and connect them with an Ethernet
patch cable with the plugs cut off, or do I need to buy an uprated
cable? Common sense would say that I could as the router - NAS
connection uses a standard Ethernet cable. But common sense doesn't
always prevail...

Total distance between the the outlets would be less than 600mm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2012 00:32, F wrote:
I'm thinking of running a cable through the wall between two rooms to
carry a gigabit connection between my router and NAS.

Can I simply install two wall plates and connect them with an Ethernet
patch cable with the plugs cut off, or do I need to buy an uprated
cable? Common sense would say that I could as the router - NAS
connection uses a standard Ethernet cable. But common sense doesn't
always prevail...

Generally speaking, yes you can. The only reservation would be that a
patch lead may be made with stranded cable rather than the solid core
CAT5E used for infrastructure wiring - so you may find it harder to get
a good quality connection to the punch down terminals.

Total distance between the the outlets would be less than 600mm.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2012 00:32, F wrote:
I'm thinking of running a cable through the wall between two rooms to
carry a gigabit connection between my router and NAS.

Can I simply install two wall plates and connect them with an Ethernet
patch cable with the plugs cut off, or do I need to buy an uprated
cable? Common sense would say that I could as the router - NAS
connection uses a standard Ethernet cable. But common sense doesn't
always prevail...

Total distance between the the outlets would be less than 600mm.

Does the router actually support Gigabit? Most just have 100mb ports...?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm writes
On 19/10/2012 00:32, F wrote:
I'm thinking of running a cable through the wall between two rooms to
carry a gigabit connection between my router and NAS.

Can I simply install two wall plates and connect them with an Ethernet
patch cable with the plugs cut off, or do I need to buy an uprated
cable? Common sense would say that I could as the router - NAS
connection uses a standard Ethernet cable. But common sense doesn't
always prevail...

Generally speaking, yes you can. The only reservation would be that a
patch lead may be made with stranded cable rather than the solid core
CAT5E used for infrastructure wiring - so you may find it harder to get
a good quality connection to the punch down terminals.

Total distance between the the outlets would be less than 600mm.

With Maplin doing cut lengths of Cat5e solid for a quid a meter I'd be
inclined to use the right stuff to avoid any potential mishaps.

Next question, does the router really have a gigabit interface?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

I'm thinking of running a cable through the wall between two rooms to
carry a gigabit connection between my router and NAS.

Can I simply install two wall plates and connect them with an Ethernet
patch cable with the plugs cut off, or do I need to buy an uprated
cable? Common sense would say that I could as the router - NAS
connection uses a standard Ethernet cable. But common sense doesn't
always prevail...

Total distance between the the outlets would be less than 600mm.

Sockets usually require solid core Cat5e cable which is used for
installations.

Patch leads are *usually* stranded[1] - the punch down terminations are
different to allow for this.

[1] Occasionally not, but these are horrid inflexible things.

If you punch sockets onto stranded cable it will work - but it is liable to
fail at some random point.

A good way is to go skip diving near any big office developments where there
may be offcuts of installation grade cable being discarded.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2012 07:55 fred wrote:

With Maplin doing cut lengths of Cat5e solid for a quid a meter I'd be
inclined to use the right stuff to avoid any potential mishaps.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I had thought I would have to buy much
longer lengths.

Next question, does the router really have a gigabit interface?

Glad you asked. No, it doesn't, though I had checked previously and
found a reference that said it did. Looks like I'm in the market for an
upgrade from a Netgear N150 WNR1000 to run my FTTC broadband.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , F
news@nowhere.? writes
On 19/10/2012 07:55 fred wrote:

With Maplin doing cut lengths of Cat5e solid for a quid a meter I'd be
inclined to use the right stuff to avoid any potential mishaps.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I had thought I would have to buy much
longer lengths.

Next question, does the router really have a gigabit interface?

Glad you asked. No, it doesn't, though I had checked previously and
found a reference that said it did. Looks like I'm in the market for an
upgrade from a Netgear N150 WNR1000 to run my FTTC broadband.

I wonder if you will need it, even with a very short line and the 80mbps
max FTTC product you should just squeeze into a single 100mbps wired net
connection. You might welcome gigabit for internal traffic though but
that could be provided by a gigabit switch[1] with a 100mbps input from
the router.

[1] I'm liking Zyxek offerings atm, cheap, dinky little metal cases and
good value. Check out 5 port, 8 port and 8 port with fixed QOS priority
for VOIP and streaming applications.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
I'm thinking of running a cable through the wall between two rooms to
carry a gigabit connection between my router and NAS.

Can I simply install two wall plates and connect them with an Ethernet
patch cable with the plugs cut off, or do I need to buy an uprated
cable? Common sense would say that I could as the router - NAS
connection uses a standard Ethernet cable. But common sense doesn't
always prevail...

Total distance between the the outlets would be less than 600mm.

blimey. That's short.

The problem with te flexible cable used to go into the plugs is that its
not that easy to punch down reliably onto the krones.

Electrically it would of course be fine.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 19/10/2012 07:55 fred wrote:

With Maplin doing cut lengths of Cat5e solid for a quid a meter I'd be
inclined to use the right stuff to avoid any potential mishaps.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I had thought I would have to buy much
longer lengths.

Next question, does the router really have a gigabit interface?

Glad you asked. No, it doesn't, though I had checked previously and
found a reference that said it did. Looks like I'm in the market for an
upgrade from a Netgear N150 WNR1000 to run my FTTC broadband.

Or buy a gigabit switch ..you don't need gigabit to the internet.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2012 10:31 The Natural Philosopher wrote:

F wrote:
I'm thinking of running a cable through the wall between two rooms to
carry a gigabit connection between my router and NAS.

Can I simply install two wall plates and connect them with an Ethernet
patch cable with the plugs cut off, or do I need to buy an uprated
cable? Common sense would say that I could as the router - NAS
connection uses a standard Ethernet cable. But common sense doesn't
always prevail...

Total distance between the the outlets would be less than 600mm.

blimey. That's short.

It's to get the network from one room to another, literally just through
to the other side of the wall.

I've got an NAS box in one room for backing up my desktop that resides
in another room. Two separate locations so that if anyone decides my
computer is theirs they, hopefully, won't go searching elsewhere once
they've found the desktop. At the moment I'm using homeplugs but
transferring ~500GB tends to be a little slow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
[...]

Have you not considered just carefully drilling a hole, push a length of
20mm conduit through, flush to both surfaces and just threading a cable
through?

It would look perfectly neat once you'd been round the tube with polyfilla
and touched up the paint.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2012 10:26 fred wrote:

In article , F
news@nowhere.? writes
On 19/10/2012 07:55 fred wrote:

[...]

fred, TNP, thanks for the switch suggestion. Gigabit is only for
internal traffic so it looks like the way to go.

I've found the ZyXEL GS105S and also a TP-Link TL-SG1005D but am not
sure which is the better. Opinions would be welcome as would suggestions
for sourcing a couple of wall outlets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
[...]

I had thought of doing that. It would be much simpler, but I'm not too
keen on the sight of wires poking out of walls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

Have you not considered just carefully drilling a hole, push a length of
20mm conduit through, flush to both surfaces and just threading a cable
through?

It would look perfectly neat once you'd been round the tube with polyfilla
and touched up the paint.

Or put some sort of faceplate-with-a-hole on the wall to make it neat?
That is certainly what I would do - fewer connections to make/worry
about, easy to replace if anything went wrong (so long as the
hole/conduit is large enough for an ethernet plug to pass through).

In a different-but-oddly-similar situation, I snaked the cable into the
room behind a radiator. Effectively invisible.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

Have you not considered just carefully drilling a hole, push a length of
20mm conduit through, flush to both surfaces and just threading a cable
through?

It would look perfectly neat once you'd been round the tube with
polyfilla
and touched up the paint.

Or put some sort of faceplate-with-a-hole on the wall to make it neat?
That is certainly what I would do - fewer connections to make/worry
about, easy to replace if anything went wrong (so long as the
hole/conduit is large enough for an ethernet plug to pass through).

That's an idea, though I'm not sure if there's a faceplate around that
has a hole big enough to pass the Ethernet plug through. Anyone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred, TNP, thanks for the switch suggestion. Gigabit is only for
internal traffic so it looks like the way to go.

I've found the ZyXEL GS105S and also a TP-Link TL-SG1005D but am not
sure which is the better. Opinions would be welcome as would suggestions
for sourcing a couple of wall outlets.

TP-Link is generally budget stuff, plastic and not that pretty.

I see your Zyxel find is plastic:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GS105S-5-Por.../dp/B0088MPVWE

I prefer their metal cased ones, really dinky[1][2]:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GS-105B-Giga...naged-Desktop-
Switch/dp/B001HLT84K/

For future proofing maybe consider the 8 port but they are a bit mo

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GS108B-Gigab.../dp/B0019OOH8C

[1] but sadly too small to have keyhole pockets on the rear for wall
mounting
[2] no connection, just like the gear

Try toolstation for outlets (modular recommend) and don't forget the
proper punchdown tool (essential for a proper job), it's the same as the
telecom one, TS have one under a tenner. Patches etc, just buy
readymade:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/sd2745

Soz, just noticed your choice was a QOS model so may suit you better,
just off out so that's it for now.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

On 19/10/2012 10:52 Tim Watts wrote:

Have you not considered just carefully drilling a hole, push a length of
20mm conduit through, flush to both surfaces and just threading a cable
through?

It would look perfectly neat once you'd been round the tube with
polyfilla and touched up the paint.

I had thought of doing that. It would be much simpler, but I'm not too
keen on the sight of wires poking out of walls.

Fairy-nuff...

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 11:04:47 +0100, F wrote:

I had thought of doing that. It would be much simpler, but I'm not too
keen on the sight of wires poking out of walls.

Brush plate. but sinking boxes etc seems a lot of faff not to mention the
4 extra sets of connections to fail.

I'd go with the 20mm conduit down in a hidden and thread a suitable patch
cable through.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2012 11:38, fred wrote:

fred, TNP, thanks for the switch suggestion. Gigabit is only for
internal traffic so it looks like the way to go.

I've found the ZyXEL GS105S and also a TP-Link TL-SG1005D but am not
sure which is the better. Opinions would be welcome as would suggestions
for sourcing a couple of wall outlets.

TP-Link is generally budget stuff, plastic and not that pretty.

The slightly more commercially focused TP-Link stuff is not bad
actually. I have used a few of their 19" rack mount gig switches and
found them pretty good.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OK, it's sorted. ZyXEL switch and cable through the wall.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F news@nowhere wrote:

On 19/10/2012 07:55 fred wrote:

Next question, does the router really have a gigabit interface?

Glad you asked. No, it doesn't, though I had checked previously and found
a reference that said it did. Looks like I'm in the market for an upgrade
from a Netgear N150 WNR1000 to run my FTTC broadband.

Don't you need Cat6 cable for gigabit support?

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

F news@nowhere wrote:

On 19/10/2012 07:55 fred wrote:

Next question, does the router really have a gigabit interface?

Glad you asked. No, it doesn't, though I had checked previously and found
a reference that said it did. Looks like I'm in the market for an upgrade
from a Netgear N150 WNR1000 to run my FTTC broadband.

Don't you need Cat6 cable for gigabit support?

No, Cat5e is sufficient.

Cat6a is rated for 10 gig IIRC.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2012 17:47, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
Fnews@nowhere wrote:

On 19/10/2012 07:55 fred wrote:

Next question, does the router really have a gigabit interface?

Glad you asked. No, it doesn't, though I had checked previously and found
a reference that said it did. Looks like I'm in the market for an upgrade
from a Netgear N150 WNR1000 to run my FTTC broadband.

Don't you need Cat6 cable for gigabit support?

No. Gigabit often runs fine over Cat 5e.

In a "stressful" environment (e.g. within a server rack or somewhere
with much electromegnetic interference possibility), or at longer
length, then certainly use Cat6.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm writes
On 19/10/2012 11:38, fred wrote:

fred, TNP, thanks for the switch suggestion. Gigabit is only for
internal traffic so it looks like the way to go.

I've found the ZyXEL GS105S and also a TP-Link TL-SG1005D but am not
sure which is the better. Opinions would be welcome as would suggestions
for sourcing a couple of wall outlets.

TP-Link is generally budget stuff, plastic and not that pretty.

The slightly more commercially focused TP-Link stuff is not bad
actually. I have used a few of their 19" rack mount gig switches and
found them pretty good.

Thanks, I'll keep them in mind, it was their ADSL modem/routers that I
found a bit plasticky and under documented.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fnews@nowhere wrote:

On 19/10/2012 07:55 fred wrote:

Next question, does the router really have a gigabit interface?

Glad you asked. No, it doesn't, though I had checked previously and
found a reference that said it did. Looks like I'm in the market for an
upgrade from a Netgear N150 WNR1000 to run my FTTC broadband.

Don't you need Cat6 cable for gigabit support?

No. Gigabit often runs fine over Cat 5e.

In a "stressful" environment (e.g. within a server rack or somewhere
with much electromegnetic interference possibility), or at longer
length, then certainly use Cat6.

Cat 5e is fine in racks and under computer room floors snaking around with
the mains

In server rooms, you tend to get relatively short runs to the nearest
switch, so I guess that helps too.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Port Economisers & Gigabit adaptors [email protected] UK diy 8 September 2nd 11 02:55 AM
TV cabling Martin Carroll UK diy 8 July 12th 08 09:21 AM
Antenna/Cabling Q PeterD Electronics 0 January 23rd 07 02:49 PM
Help for TV/satellite cabling Inquisitive UK diy 41 January 10th 07 08:03 PM
My television cabling Martin Pentreath UK diy 12 September 17th 03 04:20 PM