Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap USB controlled LED?

Anyone know of either an off-the-shelf, kit or design for a cheap USB
controlled LED? I can find some kits around the £30 mark (no case, just
boards and bits) but that seems a little steep.

In the ideal world I'd be thinking of something which could be fitted into a
medium size USB pen-drive holder.

Paul DS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2012 08:50, Paul D Smith wrote:
Anyone know of either an off-the-shelf, kit or design for a cheap USB
controlled LED? I can find some kits around the £30 mark (no case, just
boards and bits) but that seems a little steep.

In the ideal world I'd be thinking of something which could be fitted
into a medium size USB pen-drive holder.

Paul DS.

It is a bit overkill but the STM discovery board from RS or was it Rapid
has four PC controllable LEDs on (at least with a bit of tweaking) and
costs about £16. It is a bit bigger than you want at 100mm x 60mm but
otherwise fits the bill. Learning curve is a bit steep unless you
already have experience of embedded C programming.

Your best bet might be to subvert the functionality of a flash drive
that happens to include a drive is active LED. How good are you at
hacking and reworking surface mount electronics?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2012 09:13, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

There are many inexpensive LED lights which plug into USB sockets - some
of which arequite small. What form of control do you need?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul D Smith wrote:
Anyone know of either an off-the-shelf, kit or design for a cheap USB
controlled LED? I can find some kits around the £30 mark (no case, just
boards and bits) but that seems a little steep.

More information wanted. What software is going to control this LED?

--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
Your best bet might be to subvert the functionality of a flash drive
that happens to include a drive is active LED. How good are you at
hacking and reworking surface mount electronics?

Take the guts out of a keyboard and control the Caps Lock LED? Hacking a
flash drive could be hassle because you'd have to thrash it to keep the LED
on - and it might flicker.

Does this LED want to be higher power than a normal indicator?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/12 08:50, Paul D Smith wrote:
Anyone know of either an off-the-shelf, kit or design for a cheap USB
controlled LED? I can find some kits around the £30 mark (no case, just
boards and bits) but that seems a little steep.

In the ideal world I'd be thinking of something which could be fitted
into a medium size USB pen-drive holder.

There are USB visual alert signals available off the shelf although they
may be too pricy.

http://www.delcomproducts.com/products_usblmp.asp

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 18/10/2012 08:50, Paul D Smith wrote:
Anyone know of either an off-the-shelf, kit or design for a cheap USB
controlled LED? I can find some kits around the £30 mark (no case, just
boards and bits) but that seems a little steep.

In the ideal world I'd be thinking of something which could be fitted
into a medium size USB pen-drive holder.

Paul DS.

You maybe want to look at home automation, eg

http://www.smarthome.com/2414U/Power...-Device/p.aspx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Paul D Smith" writes:
Anyone know of either an off-the-shelf, kit or design for a cheap USB
controlled LED? I can find some kits around the £30 mark (no case, just
boards and bits) but that seems a little steep.

In the ideal world I'd be thinking of something which could be fitted into a
medium size USB pen-drive holder.

USB to serial port, with the LED connected to one of the modem
output signals (DTR or RTS).

--
Andrew Gabriel