Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ballcocks!

Well ballcock washers anyway. The one in the cold water tank in the loft in
me new house is leaking but due to the tangle of roof trusses up there it's
a nightmare to reach the tank, crawling under and over some of the
horizontals, trying not to step on the ceiling between the joists and
generally fumbling around in the dark as there's no light at that end of the
loft.

I managed to get to the tank and turn the inlet tap off as a temporary
measure to stop the overflow dripping but have to face it again soon to
change the washer. I'd rather buy every possible size of washer first than
go up there once to pull it apart and then again to fix it after buying a
washer. It's a brass unit about 30mm to 35mm in diameter (I'm guessing as I
didn't have a measuring stick with me) with the arm sticking out from
underneath that.

Is it likely to be one of a very few standard size washers or do I need to
take it apart first?
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 17:25:04 +0100, "Dave Baker"
wrote:

[...]

If it's the standard brass ballcock a washer is a few pence but the
whole contaption is very little more and probably the best buy. You
simply replace the whole thing with new rather than fiddling around
with fitting a washer. About £6 to £8
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2012 17:25, Dave Baker wrote:
[...]

In that sort of position, it is almost certainly going to be a size that
you don't have with you, no matter how many washers you buy. :-)

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/10/2012 17:59, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

And make sure you start the repair as early as possible in the morning
so you will still have time to visit a plumbers merchant if you dont
have the correct materials.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ericp wrote:
If it's the standard brass ballcock a washer is a few pence but the
whole contaption is very little more and probably the best buy. You
simply replace the whole thing with new rather than fiddling around
with fitting a washer. About £6 to £8

+1 - although since you're in a soft water area it might not be too silted
up. But if you fit a new one, you can overhaul the old and keep it as a
spare. It sounds like by all the trusses, it's not a very old house, so
should be an easy swap.

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

From experience, getting the damned thing apart is the main problem if its a
hard water area!
Ended up with a complete new assembly last time.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also now is the time to purchase a cheap inspection light and clip it onto a
beam. the cable can then be pulled through the hatch and plugged in when you
need to go up next time. For ref, its even worse when the loft is insulated
as one cannot even feel the joists and the stuff irritates the skin and
spiders abound and and...
Just as well I'm not allowed up there these days as I cant see.. grin.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Ericp wrote:
If it's the standard brass ballcock a washer is a few pence but the
whole contaption is very little more and probably the best buy. You
simply replace the whole thing with new rather than fiddling around
with fitting a washer. About £6 to £8

+1 - although since you're in a soft water area it might not be too silted
up. But if you fit a new one, you can overhaul the old and keep it as a
spare. It sounds like by all the trusses, it's not a very old house, so
should be an easy swap.

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 18:16:07 +0100
ss wrote:

[...]

Shouldn't that be:
"....WHEN you find you don't have......."?
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are no spider monsters in my loft.
I have a light in my loft. I also have an inspection lamp up there.
There are no spiders in my loft.

_________________________

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
Ericp wrote:
If it's the standard brass ballcock a washer is a few pence but the
whole contaption is very little more and probably the best buy. You
simply replace the whole thing with new rather than fiddling around
with fitting a washer. About £6 to £8

+1 - although since you're in a soft water area it might not be too
silted
up. But if you fit a new one, you can overhaul the old and keep it as a
spare. It sounds like by all the trusses, it's not a very old house, so
should be an easy swap.

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

[...]

+3 to replace it. Had the same issue myself recently and the PM was right when they said there's no point messing around, for the money.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2012 19:21, Mr Pounder wrote:
There are no spider monsters in my loft.
I have a light in my loft. I also have an inspection lamp up there.
There are no spiders in my loft.

Just don't look behind you....

fx: outer limits music plays in the background

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

-3 Buy the wrong bloody thing, find it won't fit then take the washer out
and use it.