Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default To clear the drain

I chaps.
Outside my kitchen window is a drain trap. It is about 3 1/2 foot deep.
The feed from the kitchen goes in about 1 foot down, the outflow is
about a foot below that.
Below the outflow is a standing water.
I have just played a blockage but there's quite a lot of grease and I
was wondering what would be the best thing to put down to dissolve the
grease.
I cannot actually get to the outflow pipe except with a bit bent wire.
I have just put down soda crystals but I'm not sure that this will do
the job.
Any recommendations as to what to put down the trap in order to ensure
the grease et cetera is clear.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Gary
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, October 5, 2012 3:14:49 PM UTC+1, Gary wrote:
I chaps.

Outside my kitchen window is a drain trap. It is about 3 1/2 foot deep.

The feed from the kitchen goes in about 1 foot down, the outflow is

about a foot below that.

Below the outflow is a standing water.

I have just played a blockage but there's quite a lot of grease and I

was wondering what would be the best thing to put down to dissolve the

grease.

I cannot actually get to the outflow pipe except with a bit bent wire.

I have just put down soda crystals but I'm not sure that this will do

the job.

Any recommendations as to what to put down the trap in order to ensure

the grease et cetera is clear.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gary

I don't know which is the best but googling for 'drain grease solvent' comes up with a whole range of options.
BTW, I don't suffer from this anymore since I got my wife to pour fat from her frying pan, etc, into an old kit-e-cat tin and put it in the recycling when it was cold rather than tip it down the drain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 5, 4:25*pm, wrote:
[...]

Isn't tipping stuff like that into drains illegal?
It bloody aught to be.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2012 15:14, Gary wrote:
I chaps.
Outside my kitchen window is a drain trap. It is about 3 1/2 foot deep.
The feed from the kitchen goes in about 1 foot down, the outflow is
about a foot below that.
Below the outflow is a standing water.
I have just played a blockage but there's quite a lot of grease and I
was wondering what would be the best thing to put down to dissolve the
grease.
I cannot actually get to the outflow pipe except with a bit bent wire.
I have just put down soda crystals but I'm not sure that this will do
the job.
Any recommendations as to what to put down the trap in order to ensure
the grease et cetera is clear.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Gary

Soda crystals will be fine, but more effective with some boiling water.

Try and get a garden hose up the outflow pipe and turn the tap on full blast
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gary writes:
I chaps.
Outside my kitchen window is a drain trap. It is about 3 1/2 foot deep.
The feed from the kitchen goes in about 1 foot down, the outflow is
about a foot below that.
Below the outflow is a standing water.
I have just played a blockage but there's quite a lot of grease and I
was wondering what would be the best thing to put down to dissolve the
grease.
I cannot actually get to the outflow pipe except with a bit bent wire.
I have just put down soda crystals but I'm not sure that this will do
the job.
Any recommendations as to what to put down the trap in order to ensure
the grease et cetera is clear.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I would start by trying to loosen and lift out what you can.
I have retrieved a carrier bag full of fat from my parents'
kitchen gully this way, and that was by no means all of it.
It would take a lot of any chemical to dissolve all that,
and you don't want to push it all further down the drain
either.

What's left can be dissolved with caustic soda (sodium hydroxude),
preferably warm or hot, but it's very dangerous (chemical burns),
and self-heating during dissolving it can get it to boiling point
and spitting, and it will dissolve you just like it does the fat.

If you don't have caustic soda or don't fancy handling it,
ordinary Soda (sodium carbonate) in hot water will work, but not
as powerfully.

Dishwasher liquid or powder detergent will also work in hot
water. (Tablets will be too fiddly to use.)

Whatever you use, leave there for a while (e.g. overnight).
Then stir it up as solids will have settled out (with protection
against splashing yourself), and rinse away with hot water which
may help keeping any remaining fat from solidifying.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gary wrote:
I chaps.
Outside my kitchen window is a drain trap. It is about 3 1/2 foot deep.
The feed from the kitchen goes in about 1 foot down, the outflow is
about a foot below that.
Below the outflow is a standing water.
I have just played a blockage but there's quite a lot of grease and I
was wondering what would be the best thing to put down to dissolve the
grease.
I cannot actually get to the outflow pipe except with a bit bent wire.
I have just put down soda crystals but I'm not sure that this will do
the job.
Any recommendations as to what to put down the trap in order to ensure
the grease et cetera is clear.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Gary

Caustic soda and hot water

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gary wrote:
I chaps.
Outside my kitchen window is a drain trap. It is about 3 1/2 foot
deep. The feed from the kitchen goes in about 1 foot down, the outflow
is about a foot below that.
Below the outflow is a standing water.
I have just played a blockage but there's quite a lot of grease and I
was wondering what would be the best thing to put down to dissolve the
grease.
I cannot actually get to the outflow pipe except with a bit bent wire.
I have just put down soda crystals but I'm not sure that this will do
the job.
Any recommendations as to what to put down the trap in order to ensure
the grease et cetera is clear.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Gary

Caustic soda and hot water

Caustic boils on its own. No need for hot water. Washing soda is plenty
alkaline enough to emulsify animal and/or vegetable fats
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 October 2012 15:14:49 UTC+1, Gary wrote:

I have just played a blockage but there's quite a lot of grease and I
was wondering what would be the best thing to put down to dissolve the
grease.

Washing soda, but you have to use it regularly to _prevent_ buildups. It's of much less use once it's set. A kettle of boiling water with it helps too, especially if your water is standing, such as in a trap.

If it's bunged solid, then it's time for caustic soda, but this does have splash hazards.

Acidic drain cleaners (as recently discussed) are no use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
..

Isn't tipping stuff like that into drains illegal?
It bloody aught to be.

It's not illegal but it's not reccomended.

All manner of animal fats get washed down the drains every day and in small
amounts they don't cause much trouble, a plate you've had hamburgers on,
sausage and bacon fats etc and not forgetting our own body fats from
showering, are 'normal' amounts, in that the solvents used daily - washing
powders and liquids and other detergents prevent build up.
When you tip half a pint of burger grease down in one go this is going to
cause build up fairly quickly. I use the same method as rttgraham, except I
use a pedigree chum can as my mutt won't allow a cat near the premises.
Non setting oils aren't as much of a problem as hard grease