Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bloodhound Super Sonic Car rocket test live NOW

The Bloodhound Super Sonic Car rocket test is being broadcast live now
http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/rocket

--
Phil Addison
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 13:21:36 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

The Bloodhound Super Sonic Car rocket test is being broadcast live now
http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/rocket

In case anyone isn't aware, this is the British attempt at the world landspeed record by
the team that already have it. They are aiming for 1000MPH. The car is being built in
Bristol in a shop alongside the SS Great Britain.

--
Phil Addison
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil Addison wrote:
On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 13:21:36 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

The Bloodhound Super Sonic Car rocket test is being broadcast live now
http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/rocket

In case anyone isn't aware, this is the British attempt at the world landspeed record by
the team that already have it. They are aiming for 1000MPH. The car is being built in
Bristol in a shop alongside the SS Great Britain.

--
Phil Addison

Sadly by the time this got to my server, it was all over.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 16:11:26 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 13:21:36 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

The Bloodhound Super Sonic Car rocket test is being broadcast live now
http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/rocket

In case anyone isn't aware, this is the British attempt at the world landspeed record by
the team that already have it. They are aiming for 1000MPH. The car is being built in
Bristol in a shop alongside the SS Great Britain.

--
Phil Addison

Sadly by the time this got to my server, it was all over.

It was pretty successful. Quite a rocket too, 12' long by 18" dia, ultimate thrust around
12 tons. Today's test was 1st full size model so only went 'gently' and generated around
6.2 tons. It needed an 800 HP engine to drive the oxidiser pump for which they are using a
Cosworth F1 engine that today screeched up to 16200RPM. I think the final version will go
up to 18000. I expect it will appear on their site soon. There were loads of TV crews
there so I daresay it will be on the news.

I loved the satellite radar imagery that was used to find all the flat bits of the earth
where the 1050mph run might be done, and resulted in selection of the Hakskeen Pan in S
Africa.

This project is aimed at inspiring an interest in engineering in our school kids.

See http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/ and send them some cash.

--
Phil Addison
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil Addison wrote:
[...]

It's on Youtube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOKw-bHMc2w

That's just the firing segment, there was a lot more. The Q&A with Andy Green after was
good, amongst other things when asked how he trains for driving the SSC he said a good
start is to join the RAF and practice flying high speed jets. Apparently he'll be
subjected to 2g while the rocket fires and -3g while slowing down afterwards.

--
Phil Addison

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OK its an old joke but I was just going to say the same. By the time I heard
it it was gone.. Speed of sound etc. Oh never mind.. sulk.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote:

The Bloodhound Super Sonic Car rocket test is being broadcast live now
http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/rocket

In case anyone isn't aware, this is the British attempt at the world
landspeed record by
the team that already have it. They are aiming for 1000MPH. The car is
being built in
Bristol in a shop alongside the SS Great Britain.

--
Phil Addison

Sadly by the time this got to my server, it was all over.

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 09:03:16 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Actually I'd be very interested in the speed record on land by a
vehicle which only powers through its wheels.

JFGI...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel-d...d_speed_record

Though I'm not convinced the record according to that is 470.444 MPH over
1 mile (Oct 18 2001). All the others listed there are much lower and
range from 403 (Donald Campbell 1964 to 415 (ish) in Sep 2010. But it's
not simple as there are many "classes" of vehicle.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 13:48:19 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel-d...d_speed_record

Though I'm not convinced the record according to that is 470.444 MPH
over 1 mile (Oct 18 2001). All the others listed there are much lower
and range from 403 (Donald Campbell 1964 to 415 (ish) in Sep 2010. But
it's not simple as there are many "classes" of vehicle.

Note that 470 was a turbine engine rather than piston. Yes, Bluebird was
a turbine too, but almost 40 years earlier; the technology presumably
improved somewhat during the intervening years.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with there being a non-wheel-driven
class, but personally I do find the wheel-driven ones a lot more
interesting.

cheers

Jules