DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested your central heating system" post (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/347246-now-would-good-time-annual-have-you-tested-your-central-heating-system-post.html)

Dave Liquorice[_2_] October 4th 12 07:57 AM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested your central heating system" post

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 23:43:11 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Just bung it on before I wanted a bath, it would be hot again by the
time I was finished to switch it off. The tank was well lagged and
would remain hot enough for washing up/washing for at least 48hrs.

But I don't want to get up half an hour before I want a shower ...

Most times the cylinder would be still hot enough and do you really leap
out of bed straight into the shower? Personally I need a wee and coffee
first, plenty of time for a brief boost if needed. The stat will probably
say it is but in reality if the tank is much over 45C it's not.

--
Cheers
Dave.

charles October 4th 12 08:16 AM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested your central heating system" post

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 22:56:31 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I use my boiler (ancient cast iron lump with pilot light) for hot water
all year round, on timer twice a day with tankstat and plenty of
lagging, I have smart meters so monthly readings are accurate never
estimated, gas costs in July and August this year were 12.2kWh and
12.1kWh respectively.

Even at the 8.5p/kWh rate (for first 2680 kWh/year) I'm not going to
moan about 1/month for hot water!

I bet if you switched from the twice a day time switch to "on demand"
it'd make a noticable difference to the gas used. I found that out when
the mechancical time switch failed. Didn't immediatly replace it, I was
living on my own at the time and to heat the cylinder from stone cold was
only 30 mins or so. Just bung it on before I wanted a bath, it would be
hot again by the time I was finished to switch it off. The tank was well
lagged and would remain hot enough for washing up/washing for at least
48hrs.

sounds as though your tank thermostat was wrongly set if its "demand" was
different from your requirements.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Dave Liquorice[_2_] October 4th 12 08:47 AM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested your central heating system" post

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 23:24:45 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

"July 2012 consumption 12.21kWh per day"

Still, allowing for discounts and excluding standing charge, the actual
gas cost is still only 37p/day.

True enough but that is around 200l of water/day *at* 60C.

12kWHr = 43.2MJ
4.18 * 1000 * 50 = 209kJ/l for a 50C rise
43.2/0.209 = 206l

Strikes me as quite a lot of water bearing in mind that is water at 60C
which you'd almost always cool down by a good 50% so equates to a "hot
water" useage 400l ish.

--
Cheers
Dave.

John Rumm October 4th 12 09:01 AM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested yourcentral heating system" post

On 04/10/2012 01:50, Arfa Daily wrote:

"djc" wrote in message
On 03/10/12 09:26, Arfa Daily wrote:

shaft with a screwdy to get it started - and much to my surprise, it ran
straight off. Fair bit of gurgling initially, but it quietened down and
all the rads got hot. It's a 30 y.o. Ideal Mexico, probably due for
replacement but hey, while it's still working ...

I replaced my Ideal Mexico five years ago. I never turned it off over
the summer as getting the pilot lighted again tended to be
troublesome. After it was replaced with a Worcester-Bosch whiich had
no pilot light I realised how much that pilot light was costing me
over the summer months.

--
djc

Yes, it is a bit of a fierce one, but my boiler actually runs all
summer, as it provides my hot water. Did yours not ? As the room stat
controls only the circulation pump on that model, turning the stat all
the way down is effectively the same as setting the central heating
function to "OFF" at the controller.

Depends a bit on how it is plumbed... the mexico can run fully pumped or
use gravity circulation.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm October 4th 12 09:04 AM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested yourcentral heating system" post

On 03/10/2012 22:58, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 21:33:03 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A pilot light is typically burning about 250W, continuously in your
case.

That much? Yeeps if I've got the maths right and 5p/kWhr for gas that's
over 100/year. Glad oil boliers have spark ignition...

That does sound like quite a bit... then again I used to have my mexico
on during the summer for heating the hot water anyway - so the pilot
costs alone were sort of lost in the noise, and hence I could not really
measure them.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm October 4th 12 09:09 AM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested yourcentral heating system" post

On 03/10/2012 22:56, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

Has anyone done the sums for gas system boiler/ electric immersion for
the summer?

I use my boiler (ancient cast iron lump with pilot light) for hot water
all year round, on timer twice a day with tankstat and plenty of
lagging, I have smart meters so monthly readings are accurate never
estimated, gas costs in July and August this year were 12.2kWh and
12.1kWh respectively.

The records I kept for mine suggested 70 cu feet / day in summer - so
say 22 kWh a day.

--
Cheers,

John.

Arfa Daily October 4th 12 09:14 AM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested your central heating system" post

o.uk...

"djc" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, OK. I guess that mine is fully pumped then. Without the stat up, the
pump does not ever run, and all rads are fully cold, hence my ability to
keep hot water during the summer, but have no heating just by winding the
stat right down ... :-)

Arfa

Andy Burns[_7_] October 4th 12 09:26 AM

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 23:24:45 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

"July 2012 consumption 12.21kWh per day"

Still, allowing for discounts and excluding standing charge, the actual
gas cost is still only 37p/day.

True enough but that is around 200l of water/day *at* 60C.

Well, if Andrew Gabriel's 250W figure is in the right ballpark, half
that goes on the pilot light

12kWHr = 43.2MJ
4.18 * 1000 * 50 = 209kJ/l for a 50C rise
43.2/0.209 = 206l

so halve it, then allow for the boiler efficiency (60-odd percent?) with
a power shower it's not unknown for me to use the whole tankful for a
leisurely shower.

Strikes me as quite a lot of water bearing in mind that is water at 60C
which you'd almost always cool down by a good 50% so equates to a "hot
water" useage 400l ish.

Last time I stuck the plug in the bath to see how much water was used
during such a leisurely shower, it was about 2/3 full by the end.

I might save more money by being on a water meter than worrying about
the gas, especially as the hot water is a "free" side-effect in months
when the boiler is on for heating (no separate zones).

If I was drawing my pension and my time was my own to go round turning
things on/off as required, I might worry about 11/month, for now I
don't lose any sleep to have it "on tap".

Tim Lamb[_2_] October 4th 12 09:45 AM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested your central heating system" post

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Andy Burns wrote:

gas costs in July and August this year were 12.2kWh and
12.1kWh respectively.

I *thought* that sounded suspiciously low ...

Apparently when Eon's online energy tracker says

"July 2012 total consumption 12.21kWh"

what it actually means is

"July 2012 consumption 12.21kWh per day"

Still, allowing for discounts and excluding standing charge, the actual
gas cost is still only 37p/day.

Hmm..

I'll have a closer look at those figures this evening.

Average gas price for a summer quarter here is 4.7p/kWh.

We have a longish pipe run boiler to cistern so not the best
installation.

--
Tim Lamb

Andy Burns[_7_] October 4th 12 10:03 AM

Tim Lamb wrote:

I'll have a closer look at those figures this evening.
Average gas price for a summer quarter here is 4.7p/kWh.

I've just changed from an "expensive first few units, cheaper additional
units" tariff, to one with a traditional standing charge.

After allowing for discounts for dual fuel, direct debit, online
readings and loyalty, the gas works out at 3.1p/kWh. Adding-in the
standing charge, averaged over the year for my level of usage, it still
only comes to 4.0p/kWh.

John Rumm October 4th 12 10:57 AM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested yourcentral heating system" post

On 04/10/2012 09:14, Arfa Daily wrote:

o.uk...

"djc" wrote in message
[...]

If the hot water heats with the pump off. then it can't be fully
pumped... You probably have a pumped circuit for the rads, and a
"gravity" thermosyphon circuit for the cylinder (which would need to be
somewhere above the boiler).

(mine was a S Plan system with a zone for HW and another for heating. I
have just converted it all to S Plan plus with two heatings zones and a
hot water zone)

--
Cheers,

John.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 4th 12 02:03 PM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested yourcentral heating system" post

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 23:07:54 +0100, geoff wrote:

Wouldn't it ...

Fired the propane furnace up here a couple of weeks ago - it's been
getting cold at nights. I've not switched the electric baseboard heat
back on yet, but there's not a lot to go wrong with that :-)

Daytime temps have been warm - up around 60-70F. That's all going to
change tomorrow though, and we're supposed to get anything up to a foot
of snow now over the next couple of days :/

Global Cooling?

cheers

Jules

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) a system of government where the least capable to
diminishing number of producers.

Jules Richardson October 4th 12 02:24 PM

On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 14:03:42 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Daytime temps have been warm - up around 60-70F. That's all going to
change tomorrow though, and we're supposed to get anything up to a foot
of snow now over the next couple of days :/

Global Cooling?

Nah, Canada's just sending us the weather that it's too wussy to handle a
little earlier than usual ;) (We normally see a little snow by the end of
October, it's just unusual to have any this early)

djc October 4th 12 03:28 PM

On 04/10/12 01:50, Arfa Daily wrote:

"djc" wrote in message
[...]

Single person, small flat, out all day at that time. Also electric
shower In summer putting the immersion heater on for 20 minutes
(run-back timer so it would always switch off) in the morning was enough
for the day.

The boiler was changed to a combi so I could ten replace the electric
shower. In the interval between changing the boiler and reworking the
bathroom the former contribution of the pilot light became obvious.
Switching to gas for the shower made a huge difference to the bills.
Electricity used to be about 65% now its about 40% even now I'm at home
all day with computers running. Average of Gas+Electric was 25kWh per
day, now 15kWh per day.

--
djc

Jules Richardson October 4th 12 05:48 PM

On 2012-10-04, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 14:03:42 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Daytime temps have been warm - up around 60-70F. That's all going to
change tomorrow though, and we're supposed to get anything up to a
foot of snow now over the next couple of days :/

Global Cooling?

Nah, Canada's just sending us the weather that it's too wussy to handle
a little earlier than usual ;) (We normally see a little snow by the
end of October, it's just unusual to have any this early)

Global Warming, innit?

Or Global Incomprehension of the Observed Data, but that's not as
catchy :)

It's been snowing quite well since my earlier post, although it's not
settling on the roads (yet) - accumulation on the grass is about 2" so
far.

cheers

Jules

ARW October 4th 12 06:17 PM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested your central heating system" post

geoff wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

level was low enough to trigger it on. Think it was about 2'c in
the greenhouse then.

Don't think it has dropped below 8 at night so far here, and 13 odd
is not uncommon in the day. With the weather compensation on the
new one, I have seen it running flow temperatures as low as 32 on
occasion.
I am still waiting for summer.

Got a feeling its going to be a long wait!

Still wearing short sleeved shirts ATM

6 deg this morning. That's jumper wearing weather.

--
Adam

SteveW[_2_] October 4th 12 10:24 PM

On 04/10/2012 18:17, ARW wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

level was low enough to trigger it on. Think it was about 2'c in
the greenhouse then.

Don't think it has dropped below 8 at night so far here, and 13 odd
is not uncommon in the day. With the weather compensation on the
new one, I have seen it running flow temperatures as low as 32 on
occasion.
I am still waiting for summer.

Got a feeling its going to be a long wait!

Still wearing short sleeved shirts ATM

6 deg this morning. That's jumper wearing weather.

If you're sitting still, outside for hours maybe.

When the temperature gets negative it *may* be time for long sleeves!

SteveW

Arfa Daily October 5th 12 03:26 PM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested your central heating system" post

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 04/10/2012 09:14, Arfa Daily wrote:

o.uk...

"djc" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, that would be it then. The boiler is in the utility room. and the HW
cylinder is directly above it in the airing cupboard.

Arfa

John Rumm October 5th 12 10:47 PM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested yourcentral heating system" post

On 05/10/2012 15:26, Arfa Daily wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 04/10/2012 09:14, Arfa Daily wrote:

o.uk...

"djc" wrote in message
[...]

Yup that makes sense. The Mexico has four tappings on its heat
exchanger, so you can have a pumped circuit and a separate gravity
circuit it you want. (mine just had plugs in the two spare ones)

--
Cheers,

John.

geoff October 14th 12 02:43 PM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested your central heating system" post

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 21:33:03 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A pilot light is typically burning about 250W, continuously in your
case.

That much? Yeeps if I've got the maths right and 5p/kWhr for gas that's
over 100/year. Glad oil boliers have spark ignition...

Yes indeed. I got caught a few years ago when they changed my
meter. The old one didn't register the pilot light, being the
only usage over the summer. After the change I saw what it was
costing and turned it off for the summer.

I now have a condensing boiler with spark ignition, but the
replacement PCB, just after warranty expired, cost several years
energy saving.

Should have been paying attention ...

--
geoff

geoff October 14th 12 02:50 PM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested your central heating system" post

In message , ARW
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

level was low enough to trigger it on. Think it was about 2'c in
the greenhouse then.

Don't think it has dropped below 8 at night so far here, and 13 odd
is not uncommon in the day. With the weather compensation on the
new one, I have seen it running flow temperatures as low as 32 on
occasion.
I am still waiting for summer.

Got a feeling its going to be a long wait!

Still wearing short sleeved shirts ATM

6 deg this morning. That's jumper wearing weather.

I'm still in short sleeved shirts

--
geoff

Kaiyan Zheng October 16th 12 02:15 PM

Now would be a good time for the annual"have you tested yourcentral heating system" post

在 2012年10月3日星期三UTC+8上午6时12分14秒 ,geoff写道:

Wouldn't it ...

--

geoff

http://www.newuggaustraliasale.co.uk/