Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Potterton Kingfisher CF45 boiler

Hi

New residence has a Potterton Kingfisher CF45 boiler, which my gas savvy
friend says to leave for as long as possible.

Trouble is I don't know how to light it.

Stat & timer are all fairly new Sunvic, all calling for heat.

Can't see a pilot light, old owner of the house tells me the
thermocouple is less than a year old.

Don't think there is a fault - I just don't have any instructions.

Anyone know?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

http://www.partsarena.co.uk/baxi/Sys...8/I01-2038.htm

Any good?

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anyone know?

FWIW you could try
http://www.partsarena.co.uk/baxi/Sys...8/U02-4048.htm
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

New residence has a Potterton Kingfisher CF45 boiler, which my gas savvy
friend says to leave for as long as possible.

Trouble is I don't know how to light it.

Stat & timer are all fairly new Sunvic, all calling for heat.

Can't see a pilot light, old owner of the house tells me the
thermocouple is less than a year old.

Don't think there is a fault - I just don't have any instructions.

Anyone know?

I had a (larger) Kingfisher RS years ago, and to light it you held in the
red button on the gas valve and pressed the igniter. This produced a spark
(each time it was pressed - a mechanical generator, not electronic) which
lit the pilot light. You should be able to see the spark in the dark.
If it didn't light the pilot, removing that and cleaning the jet usually
sorted things.

BTW, it may be a reliable boiler, but horribly inefficient. Like about
50%. So will use twice as much gas as a decent modern one.

--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

New residence has a Potterton Kingfisher CF45 boiler, which my gas savvy
friend says to leave for as long as possible.

Trouble is I don't know how to light it.

Stat & timer are all fairly new Sunvic, all calling for heat.

Can't see a pilot light, old owner of the house tells me the
thermocouple is less than a year old.

Don't think there is a fault - I just don't have any instructions.

Anyone know?

I had a (larger) Kingfisher RS years ago, and to light it you held in the
red button on the gas valve and pressed the igniter. This produced a spark
(each time it was pressed - a mechanical generator, not electronic) which
lit the pilot light. You should be able to see the spark in the dark.
If it didn't light the pilot, removing that and cleaning the jet usually
sorted things.

Thats the problem - I can't find an igniter :-(

BTW, it may be a reliable boiler, but horribly inefficient. Like about
50%. So will use twice as much gas as a decent modern one.

Ah, OK, thanks for the tip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Hi

New residence has a Potterton Kingfisher CF45 boiler, which my gas savvy
friend says to leave for as long as possible.

Trouble is I don't know how to light it.

Stat & timer are all fairly new Sunvic, all calling for heat.

Can't see a pilot light, old owner of the house tells me the thermocouple
is less than a year old.

Don't think there is a fault - I just don't have any instructions.

Anyone know?

Is there a stiff piece of wire on a cord with a loop at the end of the wire?
And a sight glass which can be removed by butterfly nuts?
[You may ask "Who is butterfly nuts?". I couldn't possibly say.]
If so you insert a wooden match into the loop at the end of the wire, remove
the sight glass, and poke a lighted match through the hole whilst pressing
down on the gas valve.
Piezo electric?
There's posh!

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote in
:

In article ,
The Medway Handyman
wrote:
[...]

There is no ignitor on the CF boiler.

Use a match or taper to light the pilot through the little
covered hole at the bottom whilst pushing down on the control
button on the gas valve. The efficiency is up the 70s on this
boiler but there is very, very little that can wrong with
these.

THis is an open flue boiler and I would strongly advise it to
be checked out and serviced by a Gas Safe regisered fitter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Heliotrope Smith writes:

There is no ignitor on the CF boiler.

Use a match or taper to light the pilot through the little
covered hole at the bottom whilst pushing down on the control
button on the gas valve. The efficiency is up the 70s on this
boiler but there is very, very little that can wrong with
these.

THis is an open flue boiler and I would strongly advise it to
be checked out and serviced by a Gas Safe regisered fitter.

For an open flued boiler, you really should get it checked
every year, starting with a check now.
Also, fit a CO detector in the room.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
THis is an open flue boiler and I would strongly advise it to
be checked out and serviced by a Gas Safe regisered fitter.

For an open flued boiler, you really should get it checked
every year, starting with a check now.
Also, fit a CO detector in the room.

Personally, if it is in the house, I'd ditch it now. If in an outbuilding,
just as soon as possible. Had a mate killed by a CF boiler fitted in the
kitchen. It was boxed in but with adequate vents. Sadly things got piled
up by the vents and partially blocked them.

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all, got it lit.

It was serviced & checked by a GasSafe guy before we moved in.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2012 20:49, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Heliotrope Smith writes:

There is no ignitor on the CF boiler.

Use a match or taper to light the pilot through the little
covered hole at the bottom whilst pushing down on the control
button on the gas valve. The efficiency is up the 70s on this
boiler but there is very, very little that can wrong with
these.

THis is an open flue boiler and I would strongly advise it to
be checked out and serviced by a Gas Safe regisered fitter.

For an open flued boiler, you really should get it checked
every year, starting with a check now.
Also, fit a CO detector in the room.

Good idea, thanks - I will do that today.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes

wrote:
[...]

Mate of the previous owner, was he?

--
geoff

Cleaning Potterton Kingfisher II Boiler Civet UK diy 1 March 22nd 11 09:01 PM
Potterton Kingfisher MF boiler woes Scott UK diy 4 September 22nd 07 07:26 PM
Old Potterton Kingfisher II john smile UK diy 2 December 26th 06 01:33 PM
pump for my ageing potterton kingfisher II boiler slinkypop UK diy 0 October 12th 05 05:29 PM
pump for my ageing potterton kingfisher II boiler slinkypop UK diy 2 October 12th 05 12:42 AM