Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vapour barrier plaster board - needed or not?

Hi,

As mentioned in my last post, am costing the final phases...

If I install celotex under the rafters and tape the joints, I assume I do
not need vapour barrier PB?

I just noticed the price difference and it is not insignificant...

What the tape called that you tape celotext joints with?

Ta

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:37:14 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

As mentioned in my last post, am costing the final phases...

If I install celotex under the rafters and tape the joints, I assume I do

not need vapour barrier PB?

I just noticed the price difference and it is not insignificant...

What the tape called that you tape celotext joints with?

Ta

Tim

its aluminium tape, with other names

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
writes
Hi,

As mentioned in my last post, am costing the final phases...

If I install celotex under the rafters and tape the joints, I assume I do
not need vapour barrier PB?

Correct, the PB is on the warm side of the insulation and the foil on
the celotex and the foil tape provide the vapour barrier[1].

I just noticed the price difference and it is not insignificant...

What the tape called that you tape celotext joints with?

Foil tape (see [1]) :-)

[1] were you giggling with Jenkins in the back row when this was last
discussed :-?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , fred writes
In article , Tim Watts
writes
Hi,

As mentioned in my last post, am costing the final phases...

If I install celotex under the rafters and tape the joints, I assume I do
not need vapour barrier PB?

Correct, the PB is on the warm side of the insulation and the foil on
the celotex and the foil tape provide the vapour barrier[1].

I just noticed the price difference and it is not insignificant...

What the tape called that you tape celotext joints with?

Foil tape (see [1]) :-)

[1] were you giggling with Jenkins in the back row when this was last
discussed :-?

ps: If you're on a budget and use taper edge board carefully there is no
need to skim (just joint) so that's more money saved.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2012 15:37, Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

As mentioned in my last post, am costing the final phases...

If I install celotex under the rafters and tape the joints, I assume I do
not need vapour barrier PB?

I did not bother, and the BCO was happy... The foil on the PIR should so
the same job.

I just noticed the price difference and it is not insignificant...

What the tape called that you tape celotext joints with?

Aluminium [foil|sealing] tape... e.g:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...mm-x-50m/35529

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

In article , Tim Watts
writes
Hi,

As mentioned in my last post, am costing the final phases...

If I install celotex under the rafters and tape the joints, I assume I do
not need vapour barrier PB?

Correct, the PB is on the warm side of the insulation and the foil on
the celotex and the foil tape provide the vapour barrier[1].

I just noticed the price difference and it is not insignificant...

What the tape called that you tape celotext joints with?

Foil tape (see [1]) :-)

[1] were you giggling with Jenkins in the back row when this was last
discussed :-?

Thanks fred.

Probably - sorry...

Anyway, even before I try the "seconds" place I went to last time, I now
note that genuine celotex can be had from ebay in qtys of 10-50 sheets for
extremely reasonable money (ie 1/3-1/2 the sheds price). Plasterboard too.
Didn't realise PB (non vapour barrier) was so cheap!

So far I have £760 for 72m2 25mm celotext and 20m2 of 50mm.

Combined with what the roofers are putting will give 100mm (some will
contain rafters at intervals) over all roof surfaces except 0.5-1m from teh
eaves which will be 75mm due to lack of space. Being rought equivalent to 8"
glass wool, I am looking forward to a severe reduction in heating bills!

Another £500-700 for 30m2 softwood PAR flooboards.

£266 for enough plasterboard to line everything. I may be cheap and not skim
if I can scrim and fill decently...

I also need to add some boarding for the 4 corner attic spaces (storage) and
some random unknown amount of wood for panelling, attic access doors and
stuff like that.

But the budget looks good - should manage a kitchen too and have enough left
to finish the shower area and make a start on proper central heating. The
plan is to get the upstairs clean and structurally complete so we can rescue
lots of stuff from storage and kill that recurring bill. Also having a place
to put stuff will clear out the kitchen (non kitchen stuff is living there)
so I have room to fit the kitchen next year. The kitchen is structurally
complete, plastered and wired (almost) so it really is only fitting
cabinets, top, proper sink and a paintjob.

There almost seems to be light at the end of the tunnel at last!!

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

In article , fred writes
In article , Tim Watts
writes
Hi,

As mentioned in my last post, am costing the final phases...

If I install celotex under the rafters and tape the joints, I assume I do
not need vapour barrier PB?

Correct, the PB is on the warm side of the insulation and the foil on
the celotex and the foil tape provide the vapour barrier[1].

I just noticed the price difference and it is not insignificant...

What the tape called that you tape celotext joints with?

Foil tape (see [1]) :-)

[1] were you giggling with Jenkins in the back row when this was last
discussed :-?

ps: If you're on a budget and use taper edge board carefully there is no
need to skim (just joint) so that's more money saved.

Yes - that's my plan. It's not a square room - it will have many many
corners and "bumps". Otherwise, I think the plastering bill is likely to be
getting on for 1k as it will be a real fiddly job.

How do you deal with external PB edges if trying to finish well enough for
paint?

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2012 18:10, Tim Watts wrote:
fred wrote:

[...]

Get the slim plastic corner beads, and make sure you finish with a taper
at both sides of the corner. Then you can fill level to the flat bit of
the board and the corner bead.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
writes
fred wrote:

ps: If you're on a budget and use taper edge board carefully there is no
need to skim (just joint) so that's more money saved.

Yes - that's my plan. It's not a square room - it will have many many
corners and "bumps". Otherwise, I think the plastering bill is likely to be
getting on for 1k as it will be a real fiddly job.

How do you deal with external PB edges if trying to finish well enough for
paint?

Corner bead, slightly (marginally) proud then use jointing mix as per
tapered joints but no tape. I used some galvanised wet plastering bead
but a I believe there are neater beads avail for PB, B&Q have a
reasonable range but check for bananas.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 16/09/2012 18:10, Tim Watts wrote:

How do you deal with external PB edges if trying to finish well enough
for paint?

Get the slim plastic corner beads, and make sure you finish with a taper
at both sides of the corner. Then you can fill level to the flat bit of
the board and the corner bead.

Well - I never knew about those - cheers John.

My first flat was an el-cheapo - paper taped joints and you could see the
wrinkles even through the artex!

--
Tim Watts

Vapour barrier Tape Jim Home Repair 15 June 8th 17 08:56 PM
Vapour barrier Fergus O'Rourke UK diy 6 September 29th 07 11:02 PM
Vapour barrier TheOldFellow UK diy 1 September 21st 07 03:21 PM
Paint vapour barrier? Stephen Howard UK diy 15 December 14th 06 07:26 PM
installing vapour barrier D. Winsor Home Repair 1 August 1st 04 01:33 PM