DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   More on electric cars. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/346136-more-electric-cars.html)

charles September 18th 12 06:18 PM

More on electric cars.

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

It allegedly takes a Nissan Leaf to 80% charge in 30 minutes.

The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins.

from what size of supply? Certainly not a domestic 13A one.

Again....The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins. Have you
got that yet?

yes, I got that.

Have you got "From what sort of supply?" How much capacity have the
batteries and what charging current is needed to get to 80% in 3 minutes.

My car battery is 150Ahr capacity. 80% capacity is 120Ahr. to provide that
in 3 minutes (1/20th hour) at 12v a charging current of 2400 Amps is
needed. With a 100% efficient charger a supply capacity of 120 Amps at
mains voltage.

How many AmpereHours are needed for a car battery?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Doctor Drivel September 18th 12 06:19 PM

More on electric cars.

charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

It allegedly takes a Nissan Leaf to 80% charge in 30 minutes.

The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins.

from what size of supply? Certainly not a domestic 13A one.

Again....The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins.
Have you got that yet?

yes, I got that.

Fantastic. It took two goes.

charles September 18th 12 06:23 PM

More on electric cars.

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

It allegedly takes a Nissan Leaf to 80% charge in 30 minutes.

The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins.

from what size of supply? Certainly not a domestic 13A one.

Again....The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins.
Have you got that yet?

yes, I got that.

Fantastic. It took two goes.

no, it only took one. but you have snipped my question to you. Presumably
because you can't answer it.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

harry September 18th 12 06:33 PM

More on electric cars.

On Sep 18, 12:02*pm, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:04:23 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article o.uk,

* *Dave Liquorice wrote:

But these electric cars aren't designed for driving across europe or any

great distance. They are for the wage slaves doing the M-F 9-5 25 mile

round trip commute

Then they need to match or beat the overall costs of running such a

vehicle. Instead of costing considerably more.

So what are the DIY costs and how would one go about installing your own charging point on your property, I'd hate to have a charging lead poked through my letter box out to the street where it'd be a trip hazard ?.
I'm just wondering how people will charge these from home and I'm talking about the majority that park on the street or the closest they can which for me would be across the road. Or are electric cars only for people with garages ?.-

They are only for people where the car is parked off the public road.
Inthe future the herbs won't have cars.

harry September 18th 12 06:35 PM

More on electric cars.

On Sep 18, 12:41*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:04:23 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article o.uk,

* *Dave Liquorice wrote:

But these electric cars aren't designed for driving across europe or
any

great distance. They are for the wage slaves doing the M-F 9-5 25 mile

round trip commute

Then they need to match or beat the overall costs of running such a

vehicle. Instead of costing considerably more.

So what are the DIY costs and how would one go about installing your own
charging point on your property, I'd hate to have a charging lead poked
through my letter box out to the street where it'd be a trip hazard ?.
I'm just wondering how people will charge these from home and I'm talking
about the majority that park on the street or the closest they can which
for me would be across the road. Or are electric cars only for people with
garages ?.

You just need a waterproof while in use socket, like the masterseal
range(1).
If you only have on road parking then you will have to find someway of
getting the cable to the car without it being a trip hazard.
(Maybe some overhead drop across the pavement?).
You can get a supply to the edge of the pavement for bus stops so you must
be able to get one for a charge point, for a price.

(1) If you have a meter box you may be able to put a socket in there to
avoid having a waterproof one.- Hide quoted text -

I t won't be on at all if you park on the road.
Apart from trip hazard, your lead would get nicked.

harry September 18th 12 06:41 PM

More on electric cars.

On Sep 18, 3:46*pm, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:
harry wrote:
Ordinary cars are complex, and prone to breakdowns, while the Ampera
is simple

Electric cars/hybrids are extremely complex.

They are NOT.

You are a halfwit as usual.
A hybrid has everything a conventional car has PLUS all the rest of
the gizmos. Electric motor, batteries, control system etc.

An electric car has all the regeneration technology plus the
chargingtechnolgy.
Plus the high tech batteries.

djc September 18th 12 06:42 PM

More on electric cars.

On 18/09/12 14:34, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:53:27 +0100, djc wrote:

But these electric cars aren't designed for driving across europe or
any great distance. They are for the wage slaves doing the M-F 9-5 25
mile round trip commute.

But the wage slaves are just the people who can only afford one car, so
it has to do all the other occasional, but so often vital, trips too.

So they use some of the money they save from the cheap energy, reduced
tax, etc on the day to day electric car to hire a more suitable vehicle
as required.

Figures were posted recently about how much one of these cars would save
someone communing into central London with, no congestion charge, free
parking and charging etc. I forget the numbers but it was several
thousand pounds...

But all these concessions for electric vehicles would soon be withdrawn
if there was significant use. The City of London withdrew its parking
concessions for these cars when it realised that it was just incresing
the congestion. Bankers being just the sort of people who can afford to
have a spare car just for commuting.

--
djc

harry September 18th 12 06:44 PM

More on electric cars.

On Sep 18, 3:58*pm, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:53:27 +0100, djc wrote:

But these electric cars aren't designed for driving across europe or
any great distance. They are for the wage slaves doing the M-F 9-5
25 mile round trip commute.

But the wage slaves are just the people who can only afford one car,
so it has to do all the other occasional, but so often vital, trips
too.

So they use some of the money they save from the cheap energy, reduced
tax, etc on the day to day electric car to hire a more suitable
vehicle as required.

Figures were posted recently about how much one of these cars would
save someone communing into central London with, no congestion
charge, free parking and charging etc. I forget the numbers but it
was several thousand pounds...

Cars these day cars just do not *need an engine of a large capacity. *Four
or three cylinder engines are all they need. The days of direct drive by IC
engines are nearly over - we are at the beginning of the end. Look at:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_...tro-air_hybrid

Using petro/hydraulic hybrids which is very promising:http://www.artemisip.com/appli_auto_transm.htm

Overview:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYbilBl3GGo

More detail of the BMW car's testing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJw5AvvxBqg

http://green.autoblog.com/2006/06/15...of-hydraulics/

INGOCAR from Valentin Tech shatters the way we think about cars:http://www.torquenews.com/1080/ingoc...atters-way-we-...

130 MPG INGOCAR (the hydraulic accumulator is the structure of the car):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzabH-rBPqI- Hide quoted text -

And where do you suppose the compressed air comes from **** for
brains?
You don't get anything for nothing.

harry September 18th 12 06:46 PM

More on electric cars.

On Sep 18, 4:31*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article o.uk,
* *Dave Liquorice wrote:

Figures were posted recently about how much one of these cars would save
someone communing into central London with, no congestion charge, free
parking and charging etc. I forget the numbers but it was several
thousand pounds...

Were those figures posted by dribble?
Do you get free parking with a guaranteed spot where you need it? And with
a charging point? I somehow doubt it. And you'll still have to sit in that
traffic jam - but without the benefit of decent air con or heater.

--
*Save a tree, eat a beaver*

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Electric cars have reversible air con/heater. Detracts from the range
of course.

harry September 18th 12 06:47 PM

More on electric cars.

On Sep 18, 4:36*pm, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
harry wrote:

Ordinary cars are complex, and prone to breakdowns, while the
Ampera is simple

Electric cars/hybrids are extremely complex.

They are NOT.

Hybrids are at least as complex as a normal car for the mechanical
bits,

Nonsense. *An Ampera only has a genny engine. NO transmission.

Electric cars are also complex, as they have equipment on them to use
regenerative braking, battery charging and motor control.

Simple stuff. *Mainly an ECU.

Our hybrid buses at work are *much* more
difficult to work on than our normal buses.

Modern hybrid buses are crap. *Look at the supercapacitor busses in
Shanghai.

You are a dope. They only travel a few hundred yards between charges.

harry September 18th 12 06:49 PM

More on electric cars.

On Sep 18, 4:46*pm, John Williamson
wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
harry wrote:

Ordinary cars are complex, and prone to breakdowns, while the
Ampera is simple

Electric cars/hybrids are extremely complex.

They are NOT.

Hybrids are at least as complex as a normal car for the mechanical
bits,

Nonsense. *An Ampera only has a genny engine. NO transmission.

So it uses a generator to drive an electric motor. Brilliant. Most
makers abandoned that idea in the 1920s as it was too complex and
unreliable. The Pious, on the other hand, which is more typical of
hybrid cars, has an automatic gearbox and a load splitter. And the most
polluting batteries on the road.

Electric cars are also complex, as they have equipment on them to use
regenerative braking, battery charging and motor control.

Simple stuff. *Mainly an ECU.

Say that again *after* you've worked on one and got it going after a
breakdown.

Our hybrid buses at work are *much* more
difficult to work on than our normal buses.

Modern hybrid buses are crap. *Look at the supercapacitor busses in
Shanghai.

Which can just about make it from one stop to the next. At least our
hybrids can go a whole day without running out of power.

Damn, I've been provoked into replying to Drivel again. Back in the KF
you go...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.- Hide quoted text -

It is quite efficient.Think conventional submarine for the drive
layout.

djc September 18th 12 06:49 PM

More on electric cars.

On 18/09/12 17:05, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

John Williamson wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 10:21:39 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

And I can use air con, heated seats, headlights and windscreen
wipers without worrying that I'll never get to my destination. I
can also cross Europe in just over a day - that will happen with
the Leaf.

It does with the Ampera

Only by using the fossil fuel engine to keep the battery charged. In
which case, why not just use a simpler internal combustion engined
vehicle?

You are very slow. As the name implies, "hybrid". Full EV in cities
and when you go long distance occasionally the car runs on the genny
and still gets 60mpg.

BFD. 60mpg is what I got anyway Canterbury to Durham with a couple of
overnight stops earlier this year, in a 2008 dizzle C4.

Umbria to London, 1,000 miles 56mpg in a 2006 C2 1.1 petrol, two
stops. And that was with baggage and 785 litres of wine aboard. I
wouldn't be wanting to do that in a milk float.

--
djc

harry September 18th 12 06:54 PM

More on electric cars.

On Sep 18, 5:07*pm, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
On 15/09/2012 16:18, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
* Doctor *Drivel wrote:
Battery technology is improving greatly. There is also the combined
battery/supercapacitor.

This could have been posted 30 years ago. And was as true then as
now. Or not.

This one forgets the brick cell phones we had.

That one forgets the enormous changes in electronics over that time.
Look up Moore's Law (we get a lot more processing power for the same
energy)

Yep. The advances in motor control technology has take off as well.
Motor-in-hub will be the norm - brakes and power all in unit. *Using
supercapacitors to reclaim 98% of the kinetic energy and give it right back
on acceleration.

Using

1. The New Toshiba batteries
2. Wheel-in-hub motors
3. Electronic motor control
4. Light, insulated car bodies

The range of EVs would not be much of a problem at all. *The technology is
there, it needs wrapping into one package.- Hide quoted text -

Motors in hub are an extremely bad thing. Adds to unsprung weight.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_weight

polygonum September 18th 12 07:01 PM

More on electric cars.

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 18:00:40 +0100, harry wrote:

Electric cars/hybrids are extremely complex.

And how do you actually rate that complexity? Unless there is a consistent
way of doing so it is actually very difficult to identify which of two
pretty complex machines is the more complex.

--
Rod

Doctor Drivel September 18th 12 07:23 PM

More on electric cars.

charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

It allegedly takes a Nissan Leaf to 80% charge in 30 minutes.

The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins.

from what size of supply? Certainly not a domestic 13A one.

Again....The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins.
Have you got that yet?

yes, I got that.

Fantastic. It took two goes.

no, it only took one.

No it took two.

Doctor Drivel September 18th 12 07:24 PM

More on electric cars.

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

BFD. 60mpg is what I got anyway Canterbury to Durham with a couple
of overnight stops earlier this year, in a 2008 dizzle C4.

Totally irrelevant comment

Completely pertinent comment. You're trying to tout 60mpg as something
special when it is not.

For that size of car it is. And it is smooooooooth and quiet and emits far
less crap into the air..

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] September 18th 12 07:24 PM

More on electric cars.

charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
It allegedly takes a Nissan Leaf to 80% charge in 30 minutes.
The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins.
from what size of supply? Certainly not a domestic 13A one.

Again....The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins. Have you
got that yet?

yes, I got that.

Have you got "From what sort of supply?" How much capacity have the
batteries and what charging current is needed to get to 80% in 3 minutes.

My car battery is 150Ahr capacity. 80% capacity is 120Ahr. to provide that
in 3 minutes (1/20th hour) at 12v a charging current of 2400 Amps is
needed. With a 100% efficient charger a supply capacity of 120 Amps at
mains voltage.

How many AmpereHours are needed for a car battery?

work on at least 25kWh for a little scootabout and 100kwh for a family
saloon.

To charge 100kwh in 3 mins is 2MW. at 400V that's 5,000 amps.

nothing a bit of T & E cant handle.
Not!

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Doctor Drivel September 18th 12 07:26 PM

More on electric cars.

wrote:
harry wrote:
Ordinary cars are complex, and prone to breakdowns, while the
Ampera is simple

Electric cars/hybrids are extremely complex.

They are NOT.

You are

Another senile person.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] September 18th 12 07:27 PM

More on electric cars.

Doctor Drivel wrote:
[...]

Not if the motors weigh less than the axles they replace.

Doctor Drivel September 18th 12 07:27 PM

More on electric cars.

wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

This man is clearly senile.

Doctor Drivel September 18th 12 07:30 PM

More on electric cars.

Doctor Drivel wrote:
[...]

Not so. Motors are small

Tim+ September 18th 12 07:48 PM

More on electric cars.

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
BFD. 60mpg is what I got anyway Canterbury to Durham with a couple of
overnight stops earlier this year, in a 2008 dizzle C4.
Totally irrelevant comment

Completely pertinent comment. You're trying to tout 60mpg as something
special when it is not.

I somehow doubt that the Ampera will achieve anywhere near 60 mpg when
running on its generator in real world driving conditions, Motor Mechanics
magazine got a lot less in their trials.

Tim

Andy Champ[_2_] September 18th 12 08:39 PM

More on electric cars.

On 18/09/2012 17:05, Doctor Drivel wrote:
Motor-in-hub will be the norm - brakes and power all in unit

Ever hear of "unsprung weight"?

Far better to put them inboard on shafts.

Andy

Andy Champ[_2_] September 18th 12 08:46 PM

More on electric cars.

On 18/09/2012 18:06, Doctor Drivel wrote:

Knob, not £37K and bigger than an Astra.

Starts at £35k (Astra starts at 13k).

Astra has a 1216l hatchback, Ampera is 1000l.

No other interior dimensions on their website. Exteriors are near as
dammit the same (Ampera is longer, but narrower)

Andy.

Andy Champ[_2_] September 18th 12 08:49 PM

More on electric cars.

Motors in hub are an extremely bad thing. Adds to unsprung weight.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_weight

Not if the motors weigh less than the axles they replace.

I'm more likely to believe you than some. Is this really possible?

I'd want to stick the motors _and_ the brakes inboard on drive shafts.
But I know I'm old fashioned...

Andy

Steve Firth September 18th 12 10:02 PM

More on electric cars.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 10:21:39 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

And I can use air con, heated seats, headlights and windscreen wipers
without worrying that I'll never get to my destination. I can also
cross Europe in just over a day - that will happen with the Leaf.

Think there is word missing in the end of the last sentance.

Yes, you're right, it's the word "not".

But these electric cars aren't designed for driving across europe or any
great distance. They are for the wage slaves doing the M-F 9-5 25 mile
round trip commute.

Yes also true and for the same people who can't imagine that anyone
would want to do anythign other than drive to work which is less than 12
miles away and then drive back. The fact that such a journey will
*never* recoup the extra they have had to pay for the car does not enter
their minds. Also since they don't understand well to wheel the fact
that the EV will emit more CO2 than a similar sied diesel car doesn't
enter their heads.

Whenever EV makes say their cars will do the equivalent of 230 mpg for
well to wheel CO2 emissions they are using the mix of electricity
supplied in France (mostly nuclear and HEP) for their comparison. Move
to the UK and that 230 mog collapses to 40 mpg because of our dirty
generating mix. Move to the coal capital states of the USA or CHina and
that figure gets even worse.

John Williamson September 18th 12 10:03 PM

More on electric cars.

Doctor Drivel wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

has an automatic gearbox

The Prius does not have a gearbox.

It has an "ECVT", otherwise known as an elctronically controlled
variable transmission. It certainly *looks* like an epicyclic gearbox in
the pictures.

Simple stuff. Mainly an ECU.

Say that again *after* you've worked on one and got it going after a
breakdown.

All cars have ECUs. Boy you are dumb.

I challenge you to find the ECU on my car. In fact, I challenge you to
tell me where the ECU is on *any* car I've ever owned.

(Morris Minor, various 110/1300s, Vauxhall Victors and Vivas, various
petrol and diesel Citroens, Fiat Panda, Land Rover)

The closest I ever found to an ECU was the electronic ignition on the
Citroen BX.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson September 18th 12 10:16 PM

More on electric cars.

charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
It allegedly takes a Nissan Leaf to 80% charge in 30 minutes.
The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins.
from what size of supply? Certainly not a domestic 13A one.
Again....The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins.
Have you got that yet?
yes, I got that.

Fantastic. It took two goes.

no, it only took one. but you have snipped my question to you. Presumably
because you can't answer it.

As Drivel can't answer the question, I will.

Nissan and Toyota are part of the ChaDeMo partnership who provide up to
50Kw chargers for quick charging of electric cars. They need a 440V. 3
phase, 110 A supply. They supply 500 Volts DC at up to 110 Amps under
the control of an ECU in the car. They take half an hour to charge it up
enough to get to the next charging point.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

charles September 18th 12 11:13 PM

More on electric cars.

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
It allegedly takes a Nissan Leaf to 80% charge in 30 minutes.
The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins.
from what size of supply? Certainly not a domestic 13A one.
Again....The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins.
Have you got that yet?
yes, I got that.

Fantastic. It took two goes.

no, it only took one. but you have snipped my question to you.
Presumably because you can't answer it.

As Drivel can't answer the question, I will.

Nissan and Toyota are part of the ChaDeMo partnership who provide up to
50Kw chargers for quick charging of electric cars. They need a 440V. 3
phase, 110 A supply. They supply 500 Volts DC at up to 110 Amps under
the control of an ECU in the car. They take half an hour to charge it up
enough to get to the next charging point.

as I thought, you just plug in to the nearest 13A socket ;-)

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Dave Plowman (News) September 18th 12 11:34 PM

More on electric cars.

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Have you ever been in a G-Whiz?

I went in one. Fantastic.

Figures.

--
*All men are idiots, and I married their King.

Dave Plowman (News) September 18th 12 11:37 PM

More on electric cars.

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
I was reading spent Prius batteries are good for replacing a lead/acid
battery in a car.

No - far better to use an old laptop one. Would be just as much use.

Why is it all these electric car fanatics understand basic electrics
rather less than a three year old?

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman (News) September 18th 12 11:39 PM

More on electric cars.

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Audi are looking into using a very small Wankel engine as a range
extender genny slapped under the boot. For the rare times it will be
used it is fine. Wankels are efficient running at their constant high
speed "sweet spot", so come into their own as a genny. The very small
size and no vibration is also a great major advantage.

That'll be why all generators already use them.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman (News) September 18th 12 11:41 PM

More on electric cars.

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
has an automatic gearbox

The Prius does not have a gearbox.

Please explain how the drive from the engine gets to the wheels without a
gearbox.

--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

Dave Plowman (News) September 18th 12 11:44 PM

More on electric cars.

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

BFD. 60mpg is what I got anyway Canterbury to Durham with a couple of
overnight stops earlier this year, in a 2008 dizzle C4.

Totally irrelevant comment

Completely pertinent comment. You're trying to tout 60mpg as something
special when it is not.

You have to remember he was claiming more than 60 mpg for 'his' Mk1 Pious
many years ago. But now claims all this progress. Of course he was lying
then...

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Doctor Drivel September 18th 12 11:45 PM

More on electric cars.

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

has an automatic gearbox

The Prius does not have a gearbox.

It has an "ECVT", otherwise known as an elctronically controlled variable
transmission. It certainly *looks* like an epicyclic gearbox in the
pictures.

It is "parrallel" not in-line.

Simple stuff. Mainly an ECU.

Say that again *after* you've worked on one and got it going after a
breakdown.

All cars have ECUs. Boy you are dumb.

I challenge you to find the ECU on my car. In fact, I challenge you to
tell me where the ECU is on *any* car I've ever owned.

Thy do not make Morris Minor 1000s any more.

Dave Plowman (News) September 18th 12 11:48 PM

More on electric cars.

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Again....The New Toshiba batteries can do 80% charge in 3 mins. Have
you got that yet?

yes, I got that.

Have you got "From what sort of supply?" How much capacity have the
batteries and what charging current is needed to get to 80% in 3
minutes.

My car battery is 150Ahr capacity. 80% capacity is 120Ahr. to provide
that in 3 minutes (1/20th hour) at 12v a charging current of 2400 Amps
is needed. With a 100% efficient charger a supply capacity of 120
Amps at mains voltage.

How many AmpereHours are needed for a car battery?

work on at least 25kWh for a little scootabout and 100kwh for a family
saloon.

To charge 100kwh in 3 mins is 2MW. at 400V that's 5,000 amps.

nothing a bit of T & E cant handle.
Not!

Surely you know dribble's answer? You carry a super capacitor in your
pocket. They can charge your car battery in seconds.

--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Dave Plowman (News) September 18th 12 11:54 PM

More on electric cars.

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
The Prius does not have a gearbox.

It has an "ECVT", otherwise known as an elctronically controlled
variable transmission. It certainly *looks* like an epicyclic gearbox in
the pictures.

Dribble thinks a gearbox must have a stick poking out of the floor which
you waggle. And that a constantly variable transmission can only be
achieved with rubber bands. Quite the norm for those who don't understand
things they spout about.

--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *