Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What was that about shorting power lines?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...?frame=2325416
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So what is it exactly, Did an elephant climb a pylon or what?

Brian

Email:

"Davey" wrote in message
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...?frame=2325416
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 17:50:27 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

So what is it exactly, Did an elephant climb a pylon or what?

Brian

No, it shows a macacque monkey with a young one clutching on to it, and
the mother is hanging on to one power line overhead while walking along
another. Either the Indians have covered the power lines in insulation,
or there is no power in them; or maybe they are at the same phase. But
the expectation is that the monkeys should have been cooked.

BTW, what hard- and soft-ware do you use to 'read' your messages?
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Davey
writes
On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 17:50:27 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

So what is it exactly, Did an elephant climb a pylon or what?

Brian

No, it shows a macacque monkey with a young one clutching on to it, and
the mother is hanging on to one power line overhead while walking along
another. Either the Indians have covered the power lines in insulation,
or there is no power in them; or maybe they are at the same phase. But
the expectation is that the monkeys should have been cooked.

BTW, what hard- and soft-ware do you use to 'read' your messages?

Sorry guys, but this has just reminded me of the following...........

There was once a bus conductor, and he had really bad anger management
problems, One day a woman on the bus refused to pay the fare. Well, the
bus conductor got so angry he killed her. He was tried and sentenced to
death by the electric chair.

The day for his execution came, and they took him out of his cell and
brought him to the chair. The guard said, "Have you any last requests?"

The man replied, "Yes, I'd like an unripe green banana, please."

So they got him an unripe green banana, and he peeled it, ate it, and
threw the skin away, and they strapped him to the chair.

"Are you ready?" they asked.

"Yes," he said.

And they hit the switch. And nothing happened. So he was taken back to
his cell.

The guards rewired the chair and tested it a few times, and it worked
perfectly. They brought the man back and said, "Have you any last
requests?"

The man replied, "Yes, I'd like an unripe green banana, please."

So they got him an unripe green banana, and he peeled it, ate it, and
threw the skin away, and they strapped him to the chair.

"Are you ready?" they asked.

"Yes," he said.

And they hit the switch. And nothing happened. So he was taken back to
his cell.

Well, the guards bought a brand new electric chair. This one was
amazing: leather seats, gold-plated armrests studded with rubies, the
works. It was an incredible sight.

They brought the man back and asked, "Have you any last requests?"

The man replied, "Yes, I'd like an unripe green banana, please."

So they got him an unripe green banana, and he peeled it, ate it, and
threw the skin away, and they strapped him to the chair.

"Are you ready?" they asked.

"Yes," he said.

And they hit the switch. And nothing happened.

Now, in this particular state, there was a law that if someone survived
the electric chair three times, he must be set free. So the man was
released, and as soon as he stepped out of the prison, the press was all
over him. He walked through the crowd and the flashing cameras until he
saw a small man who asked, "Have you discovered some miraculous
phenomenon of unripe green bananas?"

"No," he replied, "I've just always been a bad conductor."
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 17:50:27 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

So what is it exactly, Did an elephant climb a pylon or what?

Brian

No, it shows a macacque monkey with a young one clutching on to it, and
the mother is hanging on to one power line overhead while walking along
another. Either the Indians have covered the power lines in insulation,
or there is no power in them; or maybe they are at the same phase. But
the expectation is that the monkeys should have been cooked.

BTW, what hard- and soft-ware do you use to 'read' your messages?

Um, I see goats in a tree on my iPhone.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Davey wrote:

it shows a macacque monkey with a young one clutching on to it

Um, I see goats in a tree on my iPhone.

On a desktop browser the link goes to the 18th picture of the set (the
monkeys) seems your phone is showing the 1st picture in the set (the goats).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright writes:
Bill wrote:

"No," he replied, "I've just always been a bad conductor."

My Uncle Maurice told me that joke in 1958.

Well, it must at least date back to bus conductors...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 22:22:49 +0100, Andrew Gabriel
wrote:

In article ,
Bill Wright writes:
Bill wrote:

"No," he replied, "I've just always been a bad conductor."

My Uncle Maurice told me that joke in 1958.

Well, it must at least date back to bus conductors...

But not older than 1890...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 01:43:33 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

But surely it was taken when the power cuts in India were on then.

Brian

Who knows? It's not dated, except for being one of the 'Pictures of
the Week', which could mean anything. And there are other possible
explanations, some of which I mentioned.

I am still interested in your hardware/software for reading messages,
per my earlier post.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

I am still interested in your hardware/software for reading messages,
per my earlier post.

He mentioned this http://www.nvda-project.org/

Glad to see there is a FOSS solution available, though hope there would
be provision for a commercial solution if Brian had a need for it ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 11:21:15 +0100
Andy Burns wrote:

Davey wrote:

I am still interested in your hardware/software for reading
messages, per my earlier post.

He mentioned this http://www.nvda-project.org/

Glad to see there is a FOSS solution available, though hope there
would be provision for a commercial solution if Brian had a need for
it ...

Oops, sorry, missed that. Apologies. I saw it, but didn't relate it to
my question, thought it was something else. Will investigate.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
He mentioned this http://www.nvda-project.org/

Interesting video, but "when you move your cursor over the text":
that's a /caret/ they showed moving not a cursor. A cursor is a
horizontal line, a vertical line is a caret.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
He mentioned this
http://www.nvda-project.org/

Interesting video, but "when you move your cursor over the text":
that's a /caret/ they showed moving not a cursor. A cursor is a
horizontal line, a vertical line is a caret.

JGH

No, a caret is an inverted 'v', like this --- ^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret

I am not sure what | is called.

Wiki says this

"It (vertical bar) may be called by various other names including the
polon, pipe (by the Unix community, referring to the I/O pipeline
construct), Sheffer stroke (by computer or mathematical logicians),
verti-bar, vbar, stick, vertical line, vertical slash, or bar, think
colon, poley, or divider line."

In fact cursors pre computers were actually bars orthogonal to the
scales they were measuring against,

The word means 'runner'

the first time I encountered the term was in slide rules, which predate
computers

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ule_cursor.jpg

Its also used in describing some kinds of analogue displays. In a sense
the needle on a meter or the hands on a clock are cursors.

In essence the basic meaning is something that moves with respect to
something else that needs a handy way of marking a point.

There is no implication of whether its a vertical line, a bar a caret or
a set of cross hairs or indeed a pointer or hand symbol. Mouse icons are
also cursors of a sort.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 03:50:46 -0700, jgh wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
He mentioned this http://www.nvda-project.org/

Interesting video, but "when you move your cursor over the text":
that's a /caret/ they showed moving not a cursor. A cursor is a
horizontal line, a vertical line is a caret.

So that thing I used to move along my slide rule was called a caret????

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 11:50:46 +0100, wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
He mentioned this http://www.nvda-project.org/

Interesting video, but "when you move your cursor over the text":
that's a /caret/ they showed moving not a cursor. A cursor is a
horizontal line, a vertical line is a caret.

JGH

Not according to MS:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

Or Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
He mentioned this http://www.nvda-project.org/

Interesting video, but "when you move your cursor over the text":
that's a /caret/ they showed moving not a cursor. A cursor is a
horizontal line, a vertical line is a caret.

So that thing I used to move along my slide rule was called a caret????

No, that is a cursor, and on mine, it's a thin black line at right
angles to the length of the rule.

The ^ (Shft-6 in the UK) on a computer keyboard is the "caret" and is
used by some programs as a cursor. Or by mathematicians to denote "To
the power of"

I've always thought of the "|" vertical line symbol as the pipe symbol,
which may tell you where I learnt such batch programming as I've done.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
He mentioned this http://www.nvda-project.org/
Interesting video, but "when you move your cursor over the text":
that's a /caret/ they showed moving not a cursor. A cursor is a
horizontal line, a vertical line is a caret.

So that thing I used to move along my slide rule was called a caret????

No, that is a cursor, and on mine, it's a thin black line at right
angles to the length of the rule.

Exactly.

The ^ (Shft-6 in the UK) on a computer keyboard is the "caret" and is
used by some programs as a cursor. Or by mathematicians to denote "To
the power of"

I've always thought of the "|" vertical line symbol as the pipe symbol,
which may tell you where I learnt such batch programming as I've done.

I learned of that symbol before pipes (of that kind) appeared in the UK
and I started using them. So it's 'vertical bar' to me. 'batch' should
probably be 'shell', although the symbol is probably used just as much
interactively as in a shell script.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org