Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need to make a a cheap external rendered wall (for looks only - not loadbearing)

Hi all,

I need to make a an external rendered wall, purely for aesthetic purposes.
It is not load-bearing but needs to be cheap and fairly long-lasting (say
20 years or so). What material could I use? I could use concrete blocks,
but it's kind of hard work and I'd like to save money as much as possible.
There is alread a footing in place from long ago.

The purpose of the wall is to make a false side to a rendered brick shed
which was built out-of-square. My planned facing is to make the shed LOOK
square, even though the underlying structure isn't. The existing roof will
overhang the new facing.

I thought of maybe using WBP ply with some kind of mesh attached to hold
the rendering, but that sounds like it would break down pretty quick, just
by the ravages of weather alone...

Don't they build houses out of plywood these days? They end up looking as
though the are rendered... I'm wondering what materials and methods are
used..

I suppose breeze blocks would be another option. Are they any cheaper than
concrete blocks?

Thank you!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2012 15:24, AL_n wrote:
Hi all,

I need to make a an external rendered wall, purely for aesthetic purposes.
It is not load-bearing but needs to be cheap and fairly long-lasting (say
20 years or so). What material could I use? I could use concrete blocks,
but it's kind of hard work and I'd like to save money as much as possible.
There is alread a footing in place from long ago.

The purpose of the wall is to make a false side to a rendered brick shed
which was built out-of-square. My planned facing is to make the shed LOOK
square, even though the underlying structure isn't. The existing roof will
overhang the new facing.

I thought of maybe using WBP ply with some kind of mesh attached to hold
the rendering, but that sounds like it would break down pretty quick, just
by the ravages of weather alone...

Assuming its under render, then it will be fine. Its what most loft
extensions, dormers etc are made from.

Don't they build houses out of plywood these days? They end up looking as
though the are rendered... I'm wondering what materials and methods are
used..

OSB3 would probably do as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 30, 3:24*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
[...]

Rendered EML would work. SS lasts rather better. Another option is
papercrete, either as blocks or cast in situ. Cheap as chips, and
lasts.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
Hi all,

I need to make a an external rendered wall, purely for aesthetic purposes.
It is not load-bearing but needs to be cheap and fairly long-lasting (say
20 years or so). What material could I use? I could use concrete blocks,
but it's kind of hard work and I'd like to save money as much as possible.
There is alread a footing in place from long ago.

The purpose of the wall is to make a false side to a rendered brick shed
which was built out-of-square. My planned facing is to make the shed LOOK
square, even though the underlying structure isn't. The existing roof will
overhang the new facing.

I thought of maybe using WBP ply with some kind of mesh attached to hold
the rendering, but that sounds like it would break down pretty quick, just
by the ravages of weather alone...

yeah. That will work.

Don't they build houses out of plywood these days? They end up looking as
though the are rendered... I'm wondering what materials and methods are
used..

yep. Mine is like that - on an oak and softwood frame tho

I suppose breeze blocks would be another option. Are they any cheaper than
concrete blocks?

Dont think so. TBH its not big money to knock up a block wall.

ply is no cheaper really.

Thank you!

Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 30, 7:52*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
AL_n wrote:
[...]

lightweight blocks are marginally more money, and far less strain. If
you're desperate for cheap, you could always use rendered rubble

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:k1ocp9$ogo$4
@news.albasani.net:

Dont think so. TBH its not big money to knock up a block wall.

ply is no cheaper really.

That's a good point; I had forgotten how expensive ply is these days!

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions.