Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Yellowing" brilliant white gloss - any solution?

In common with many others, I've recently experienced severe yellowing
of white gloss paintwork, within weeks of application. All due to the
reduction of VOCs in 2010 legislation.

I have some more white glossing to do now; having just fished an
almost-full can of white Dulux out of the garage (about a year old) and
found the drips on the side to have gone lemon in colour, I'm very
uneasy. Having looked into it a bit, I'm really struggling trying to
find some new paint which won't be similarly affected.

Dulux in particular got panned on Watchdog recentlY:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2012/03/dulux.html

Dulux say they've solved the problem, but there's an interesting article
here about how (in the absence of any product recall) to tell whether
you're buying the new stuff: http://tinyurl.com/cokmzho (or
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/renovatinganddiy/9251630/How-can-I-get-a-straight-answer-from-Dulux.html

So the answer appears to be - look for batch numbers ending in "N".
However, have just been to B&Q and I couldn't find any with an "N" so
returned empty-handed. Brilliant. It certainly appears that it's not
just Dulux which is affected (eg Crown is too), so I didn't want to buy
something else without checking up first.

Evidently acrylic paint won't yellow; however I don't think it's as good
and don't want to use it.

Anyone got any good info about this fiasco?

Thanks