Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shed - repair or replace?

My shed is in a very sorry state.

It is 3680mm (12') square, 2526mm (8'4") high to the roof at the
front, and 2150mm (7') high to the roof at the rear.

It is at least 30yrs old and its achilles heel as always been the roof
and several years ago I just gave up. The good news is that contrary
to my fears there are no lions or tigers inside having hacked my way
into the front but the roof has completely gone.

Now I find myself in urgent need of the storage and work space.

It appears to be mounted raised above a concrete base, and the floor
was floorboards.

Some photos at

https://picasaweb.google.com/subs4al...eat=directlink

The sides are very thin cladding, but the thing is still standing up.
If I could sort out the roof I could set about repairing the rest bit
by bit at my own pace.

If I try to replace it, well I can't afford the same size and I will
have to do something with all the stuff that remains in there plus the
stuff that I need to store whilst a new shed is erected.

So can I have some views and options please, and in particular how to
roof a 12ft x 12ft structure.

Many thanks.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2012 10:14, AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

Having looked at the photos - it needs a lighted match and an oily rag....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2012 10:14, AnthonyL wrote:
My shed is in a very sorry state.

It is 3680mm (12') square, 2526mm (8'4") high to the roof at the
front, and 2150mm (7') high to the roof at the rear.

If I try to replace it, well I can't afford the same size and I will
have to do something with all the stuff that remains in there plus the
stuff that I need to store whilst a new shed is erected.

So can I have some views and options please, and in particular how to
roof a 12ft x 12ft structure.

Whatever you do make sure you don't leave it without a roof for any
longer than is absolutely necessary. I lost a roofless shed to a weekday
storm after taking more than one weekend to sort it out. The rotten roof
proved much harder to get off than I expected.

You might consider a corrugated plastic or felt roof as the cheapest
thing likely to be fairly waterproof and lightweight in big sheets.

Looks like you already have a green roof ?Russian vine?

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I presume the power I can spot is not live! How about some of that
"multi-box section polycarbonate sheet"? You will probably want a few cross
beams to stop it sagging and stopping water getting in the ends and then
"algaeing up" can be tricky but it's light in all senses of the word.

Paul DS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://picasaweb.google.com/subs4al...thkey=Gv1sRgCK....

The sides are very thin cladding, but the thing is still standing up.
If I could sort out the roof I could set about repairing the rest bit
by bit at my own pace.

If I try to replace it, well I can't afford the same size and I will
have to do something with all the stuff that remains in there plus the
stuff that I need to store whilst a new shed is erected.

So can I have some views and options please, and in particular how to
roof a 12ft x 12ft structure.

Many thanks.

If its softwood, at 30years old there's not much point trying to reuse
parts of it. If you cant afford treated sawn softwood, a lot can be
done with unchopped firewood, pallets, etc. Palletwood needs treating.

Tarpaulin is the usual temporary storage during rebuild.
Felt on chipboard is as cheap as a new roof gets.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 10:18:59 +0100, Phil wrote:

Having looked at the photos - it needs a lighted match and an oily
rag....

Yeah at 30 years old and a roof gone for what looks like quite a while I
doubt that very much of the existing structure will be sound enough to
resue. Will any of the contents still be useable as well?

Spend a couple of days clearing it and making trips to the local HWRC
(dump). And see what is left.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 11:01:56 +0100, "Paul D Smith"
wrote:

I presume the power I can spot is not live!

Good spot. The fuse has been removed at the house.

How about some of that
"multi-box section polycarbonate sheet"? You will probably want a few cross
beams to stop it sagging and stopping water getting in the ends and then
"algaeing up" can be tricky but it's light in all senses of the word.

What sort of cross beams and what sort of section would I need for the
12' x 12' area?

It's got to support snow etc.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Phil philip_barton.geo.nospam@
yahoo.com scribeth thus
On 21/08/2012 10:14, AnthonyL wrote:
My shed is in a very sorry state.

It is 3680mm (12') square, 2526mm (8'4") high to the roof at the
front, and 2150mm (7') high to the roof at the rear.

It is at least 30yrs old and its achilles heel as always been the roof
and several years ago I just gave up. The good news is that contrary
to my fears there are no lions or tigers inside having hacked my way
into the front but the roof has completely gone.

Now I find myself in urgent need of the storage and work space.

It appears to be mounted raised above a concrete base, and the floor
was floorboards.

Some photos at

https://picasaweb.google.com/subs4al...ey=Gv1sRgCKnT-

sWb7sC_ogE&feat=directlink

The sides are very thin cladding, but the thing is still standing up.
If I could sort out the roof I could set about repairing the rest bit
by bit at my own pace.

If I try to replace it, well I can't afford the same size and I will
have to do something with all the stuff that remains in there plus the
stuff that I need to store whilst a new shed is erected.

So can I have some views and options please, and in particular how to
roof a 12ft x 12ft structure.

Many thanks.

Having looked at the photos - it needs a lighted match and an oily rag....

Yes give it a decent cremation poor thing and put it out of its
misery...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have a look at this...

http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz...ges/gil/52.pdf

Paul DS
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Hmmm, to use the technical term, that looks to be shagged.

If I try to replace it, well I can't afford the same size and I will
have to do something with all the stuff that remains in there plus the
stuff that I need to store whilst a new shed is erected.

So can I have some views and options please, and in particular how to
roof a 12ft x 12ft structure.

First job will be clearing all that greenery. Then, assuming the walls
are up to it, you need some timbers across it front to back (4x2" ought
to do it on a 16" spacing), and then some sheeting (1/2" OSB 3 for
example) on top. That will give you a deck you can then roof. Oversail
the back by a few inches to create a rain drip you can stick a gutter
under. Slap 2" aris rail down each side at the top, and then I would use
a couple of layers of torch on felt at that point.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Another option is money's tight is to rebuild in papercrete. Not only
is it cheap, but outlasts wood too

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:17:13 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

+1 - but I would go with Onduline roofing. No more expensive than a full felt roof, has the same life plus and is clean and fast to install. Go with felt and you are going to get adhesive all over you and your tools, and it takes several days. Onduline just requires a hammer and probably a saw and would take you an afternoon to do.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2012 15:24, robgraham wrote:
[...]

Yup that is an option, as would be the polycarbonate double/tripple/quin
wall etc. That is also very quick to do, but the fixing systems for it
add a fair bit to the price.

(personally I prefer something I can walk on ;-)

Go with felt and you are going to get adhesive all over you
and your tools, and it takes several days.

Only if you use adhesive. Having used "torch on" I would never go back
to that.

Cut to size, roll up and position, wave f'off big torch at it as you
slowly kick the roll along the roof. Very quick and easy, and if you go
for a 4mm modified (i.e. rubberised) bitumen capsheet very tough as
well. (I did two layers on a mate's full garage roof in about 4 hours)

Onduline just requires a
hammer and probably a saw and would take you an afternoon to do.

Yup. Remember to fix on the peaks and not the troughs like someone I
know did. He could not work out why it leaked when it rained! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2012 14:29, NT wrote:
[...]

What would you suggest as a low cost mixer for this?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2012 16:45, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/08/2012 14:29, NT wrote:
[...]

I'm guessing it would take weeks to dry in our climate

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2012 10:14, AnthonyL wrote:
My shed is in a very sorry state.

I should have it shot & put out of it's misery....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2012 11:01, Paul D Smith wrote:
I presume the power I can spot is not live! How about some of that
"multi-box section polycarbonate sheet"? You will probably want a few
cross beams to stop it sagging and stopping water getting in the ends
and then "algaeing up" can be tricky but it's light in all senses of the
word.

Paul DS.

With the prices some places charge, a new shed may be cheaper!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Are you likely to be able to afford the same or similar at any time soon?

If so, cheap, seconds OSB (maybe ex-shuttering) and cover it with a big
tarpaulin for now.

If you buy a pre-made, knock-down shed, you can put it up in a day, so
storage shouldn't be a problem.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm explained :
Yup. Remember to fix on the peaks and not the troughs like someone I know
did. He could not work out why it leaked when it rained! ;-)

Unless it is the metal cladding sheets, which do and should be fixed in
the troughs. ;o)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
lid (AnthonyL) wrote:

My shed is in a very sorry state. ...
It is 3680mm (12') square, 2526mm (8'4") high to the roof at the
front, and 2150mm (7') high to the roof at the rear.

Some photos at

https://picasaweb.google.com/subs4al...sRgCKnT-sWb7sC
_ogE&feat=directlink

A couple of random thoughts from someone who built his own shed last
year, and who will never buy "the (expensive) best" if there's a
cheap-but-solid-looking alternative...

- That's a great looking shed! (if you can refurbish it). Good plan,
size and fittings.

- How solid are the wall structural timbers? Rip off the cladding, and
replace with recycled T&G floorboards.

- I used corrugated iron on mine for the roof. Quite expensive (for my
purse), but it's solid as a rock (I sometimes lie on it at night and
watch the stars).

- I bought all my materials from a second-hand timber merchant near us.
These people are no longer cheap, but they're cheaper than builder's
merchants, and the stuff they sell is usually genuine solid stuff, from
the old days. The roofing I bought was new (presumably he'd got it
from a surplus sale somewhere); I painted it, so it's not only solid but
looks lovely (green).

My shed (8'x8'x7' high) cost me a little over £300 -- which doesn't
sound a lot when you say it quickly, though I nearly fainted when the
guy added it all up.

To repeat: that was once a great shed (apart from the **** materials
used for the side and roof!) and if you can work on what's left, it'll
save you time and money.

Let us all know what happens!

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 21, 4:45*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/08/2012 14:29, NT wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure good mixers are low cost. Ideally a tub type plaster
mixer. but you could use a low speed mixer drill with paddle and tie
it to a temporary frame.

If you're not comitted to using papercrete and want to try some mixes,
sample amounts can be done with a kitchen wand blender.

NT

ps its probably also possible to use a conventional mixer if you put a
handful of bricks in, would be rather slow though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 09:24:30 +0100, Another John
wrote:

In article ,
lid (AnthonyL) wrote:

My shed is in a very sorry state. ...
It is 3680mm (12') square, 2526mm (8'4") high to the roof at the
front, and 2150mm (7') high to the roof at the rear.

Some photos at

https://picasaweb.google.com/subs4al...sRgCKnT-sWb7sC
_ogE&feat=directlink

A couple of random thoughts from someone who built his own shed last
year, and who will never buy "the (expensive) best" if there's a
cheap-but-solid-looking alternative...

- That's a great looking shed! (if you can refurbish it). Good plan,
size and fittings.

- How solid are the wall structural timbers? Rip off the cladding, and
replace with recycled T&G floorboards.

That seems to be the one saving grace. I expected the whole thing to
collapse when I walked in but the sides (or at least the three I can
get to) seem quite rigid with no shake. Some of the panels need
repair/replace but that's no big deal.

- I used corrugated iron on mine for the roof. Quite expensive (for my
purse), but it's solid as a rock (I sometimes lie on it at night and
watch the stars).

But noisy in the rain. Maybe an option though but I'll still need
support to span the 12' in more than one place.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 14:17:13 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

The sides are very thin cladding, but the thing is still standing up.
If I could sort out the roof I could set about repairing the rest bit
by bit at my own pace.

Hmmm, to use the technical term, that looks to be shagged.

Whilst the roof and floor are bad the sides are quite sturdy, which
surprised me.

If I try to replace it, well I can't afford the same size and I will
have to do something with all the stuff that remains in there plus the
stuff that I need to store whilst a new shed is erected.

So can I have some views and options please, and in particular how to
roof a 12ft x 12ft structure.

First job will be clearing all that greenery.

That was cleared! Couldn't see the shed at all even to take a photo.

Then, assuming the walls
are up to it, you need some timbers across it front to back (4x2" ought
to do it on a 16" spacing),

Just to confirm - 4"x2" should be self supporting across a 12' span?

Why as close as 16"? To support weight if I'm working on top? (see
note)

and then some sheeting (1/2" OSB 3 for
example) on top.

Looks interesting - about 5 or 6 panels should do it?

That will give you a deck you can then roof. Oversail
the back by a few inches to create a rain drip you can stick a gutter
under. Slap 2" aris rail down each side at the top, and then I would use
a couple of layers of torch on felt at that point.

Just a thought but what about then putting some corrugated plastic or
iron on top instead?

Note: Several years ago a neighbour "in the trade" said he could get
the roof fixed. He sent around a 6'4" 18 stone guy. I don't think
the roof ever recovered.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yup - it would not meet building regs for a room floor or anything, but
should be adequate for keeping the roof and you out of the shed while
working on it. Its also a cheap and easy size to buy - everyone will
have 4x2.

Why as close as 16"? To support weight if I'm working on top? (see
note)

Yup - you could probably go to 24" spacing if you want. Make sure you
get a joist at each board intersection so you don't have any long
unsupported edges, and screw the boards down well. (if using felt, you
don't want the boards to move against each other at the joins since this
is what will split the felt)

and then some sheeting (1/2" OSB 3 for
example) on top.

Looks interesting - about 5 or 6 panels should do it?

I would expect so.

That will give you a deck you can then roof. Oversail
the back by a few inches to create a rain drip you can stick a gutter
under. Slap 2" aris rail down each side at the top, and then I would use
a couple of layers of torch on felt at that point.

Just a thought but what about then putting some corrugated plastic or
iron on top instead?

Yup, nothing to stop you doing that. Depends on what you want to do in
the space. Plastic can let through lots of light, but will be loud and
creaky and encourage huge temperature swings. Similar for iron without
the light. However both are cheap. Plastic would also include the
multiwall polycarbonate sheets - pricey but much better thermally.

Note: Several years ago a neighbour "in the trade" said he could get
the roof fixed. He sent around a 6'4" 18 stone guy. I don't think
the roof ever recovered.

Yes, well that would be why I use fairly substantial timbers and decking
on anything I plan to climb on top of! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2012 14:29, NT wrote:

[...]

I was under the impression that the home made mixers also included a
blade for shredding the paper. Presumably if one had other ways to
shread the paper then a conventional mixer would work ok.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 09:24, Another John wrote:

My shed (8'x8'x7' high) cost me a little over £300 -- which doesn't
sound a lot when you say it quickly, though I nearly fainted when the
guy added it all up.

;-)

Compared to most sheds that sounds like spare change!

You could pay twice that for a flimsy prefab job with a layer of crap
felt on the top.

Usually building your own costs as much or more than the commercial
offerings - but that is usually because you can't bring yourself to use
the crap materials they do.

To repeat: that was once a great shed (apart from the **** materials
used for the side and roof!) and if you can work on what's left, it'll
save you time and money.

Let us all know what happens!

Indeed.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Some interesting stuff about papercrete on YouTube. One gets the
impression it's best to live in New Mexico or similar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 14:25, stuart noble wrote:

Some interesting stuff about papercrete on YouTube. One gets the
impression it's best to live in New Mexico or similar.

And drive a "truck" with enough ground clearance to drive over moulds
while having a spare acre or two to do it ;-)

Although given the nature of cement curing, the actual "drying out" of
the blocks may not really matter. Once they are set enough to be strong
enough, they can probably be erected while still damp. So the climate
might not be a show stopper.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2012 14:29, NT wrote:

[...]

Typical papercrete mixers don't do much shredding, what they do is
pulp. A simple paddle mixer in drill does the same, just on a smaller
scale. The downsides are needing to hold it, and it can choke on large
blocks of paper.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 22, 4:58*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/08/2012 14:25, stuart noble wrote:

Some interesting stuff about papercrete on YouTube. One gets the
impression it's best to live in New Mexico or similar.

And drive a "truck" with enough ground clearance to drive over moulds
while having a spare acre or two to do it ;-)

Although given the nature of cement curing, the actual "drying out" of
the blocks may not really matter. Once they are set enough to be strong
enough, they can probably be erected while still damp. So the climate
might not be a show stopper.

Papercrete is mostly paper, and behaves not like concrete. The stuff
only sets when its dry. Once dry, the cement prevents it reliquidising
once wet again. The lime content from the cement makes it mouldproof.
The end result is a very lightweight mixture a bit like AAC blocks,
but with slight springiness if the mix is low cement.

There's no standard mix. PC can be anything from tough hard high
cement mixes to weak low cement mixes, and a wide range of additives
are sometimes used.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Papercrete

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

You'd want to walk on something supported by that shed....?
--
Chris French