Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The next challenge

Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

Mike

the 'no mains supply;' is a bit of a bugger.

Might cost 50 grand to get electricity in.

Broadband also..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2012 19:48, Muddymike wrote:
Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

Mike

Approx 4MB broadband :-(

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

Mike

I was going to ask what that 'stunning location' is like in the depths of
winter. However, remembering some of your previous posts I will just ask how
many miles it is to the nearest snowplough route!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Muddymike wrote:
Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

Mike

the 'no mains supply;' is a bit of a bugger.

Might cost 50 grand to get electricity in.

Calor gas running one of the new Baxi Ecogas boilers with the
anti-islanding function disabled. Or use the waste heat from a diesel
set to heat the house.

Broadband also..

3G? Checks Oops. Slow to no coverage.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:50:07 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

the 'no mains supply;' is a bit of a bugger.

Might cost 50 grand to get electricity in.

If you can. Looking at an online OS map the place is in the middle of a
bit of Forestry Commision land but isn't FC itself. But don't worry a few
square meters of PV paneling will solve the power problem. B-)

4MB of broadband (it has a phone line but no other mains services?) is
not that bad.

It also has a public right of way footpath running right past it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tahiri wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

Mike

I was going to ask what that 'stunning location' is like in the depths of
winter. However, remembering some of your previous posts I will just ask how
many miles it is to the nearest snowplough route!

Fasten a blade onto the Land Rover. The trees will guide you along the
roadway, which looks like a hardcore surface I could get a truck along
in reasonable weather.

If I could afford it, I'd be in like a shot. I need to buy a winning
lottery ticket...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Muddymike wrote:
Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html
Mike

the 'no mains supply;' is a bit of a bugger.

Might cost 50 grand to get electricity in.

Broadband also..

The TV aerial indicates some form of civilised living.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html
Mike

the 'no mains supply;' is a bit of a bugger.

Might cost 50 grand to get electricity in.

Broadband also..

The TV aerial indicates some form of civilised living.

that's not a TV aerial, That's 'chav sign'

regards

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/08/2012 20:18, Tahiri wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

Mike

I was going to ask what that 'stunning location' is like in the depths of
winter. However, remembering some of your previous posts I will just ask how
many miles it is to the nearest snowplough route!

It's worth a glance at the EPC. That is the worst EPC I have ever seen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Muddymike
writes
Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

May I ask what it was you did to the missus in a previous life that made
her want to keep you so busy :-?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 21:36:45 +0100, GB
wrote:

On 15/08/2012 20:18, Tahiri wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

Mike

I was going to ask what that 'stunning location' is like in the depths of
winter. However, remembering some of your previous posts I will just ask how
many miles it is to the nearest snowplough route!

It's worth a glance at the EPC. That is the worst EPC I have ever seen.

Not as bad as this one http://www.whitegates.co.uk/epc/150810

Admittedly there's more scope for improvement than Muddymike's but
I've never seen a 4 before.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

Mike

This one is difficult, usually I put entries like STWNFI with acronym
after it in search engine but this time it came up with nothing known.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Aug 15, 8:54 pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
The TV aerial indicates some form of civilised living.

From two different transmitters :-)

Emley and Bilsdale. Also a 19E dish of great antiquity.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2012 00:01, Nick Odell wrote:

It's worth a glance at the EPC. That is the worst EPC I have ever seen.

Not as bad as this one http://www.whitegates.co.uk/epc/150810

Admittedly there's more scope for improvement than Muddymike's but
I've never seen a 4 before.

Nick

Hey, that's not fair. At least tell us what the property is like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 09:30:33 +0100, Andrew May
wrote:

On 16/08/2012 00:01, Nick Odell wrote:

It's worth a glance at the EPC. That is the worst EPC I have ever seen.

Not as bad as this one http://www.whitegates.co.uk/epc/150810

Admittedly there's more scope for improvement than Muddymike's but
I've never seen a 4 before.

Nick

Hey, that's not fair. At least tell us what the property is like.

My apologies: I assumed the number would link to the property.

I ought to warn you: this is probably not what you are expecting...

http://www.whitegates.co.uk/property...ley/park-lea-1

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16/08/2012 03:06, F Murtz wrote:
Muddymike wrote:
Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

Mike

This one is difficult, usually I put entries like STWNFI with acronym
after it in search engine but this time it came up with nothing known.

http://www.usenetmessages.com/view.p...46&id=1137&p=3

Warning: It's quite romantic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2012 10:13, Nick Odell wrote:

Hey, that's not fair. At least tell us what the property is like.

My apologies: I assumed the number would link to the property.

I ought to warn you: this is probably not what you are expecting...

http://www.whitegates.co.uk/property...ley/park-lea-1

Nick

No inside photographs. That is always suspicious. I wonder what has been
done to it to make the EPC so bad.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16/08/2012 10:23, Andrew May wrote:
On 16/08/2012 10:13, Nick Odell wrote:

Hey, that's not fair. At least tell us what the property is like.

My apologies: I assumed the number would link to the property.

I ought to warn you: this is probably not what you are expecting...

http://www.whitegates.co.uk/property...ley/park-lea-1

Nick

No inside photographs. That is always suspicious. I wonder what has been
done to it to make the EPC so bad.

There's probably a hole where the patio door should be. Replace that,
and the rating shoots up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:18:04 PM UTC+1, Tahiri wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message

om...

Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

Mike

I was going to ask what that 'stunning location' is like in the depths of

winter. However, remembering some of your previous posts I will just ask how

many miles it is to the nearest snowplough route!

I'd be put off by the name "Windy gates" sounds like a persnal problem.

Where's the nearest tube station ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

200 grand for a wreck that's in CT Band C seems way too much. The CT
banding assumes that the property is in fully repaired condition and whilst
it varies by area, round my way Band C equals a selling price of 150-220K

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 16/08/2012 00:01, Nick Odell wrote:

It's worth a glance at the EPC. That is the worst EPC I have ever seen.

Not as bad as this one http://www.whitegates.co.uk/epc/150810

Admittedly there's more scope for improvement than Muddymike's but
I've never seen a 4 before.

Nick

Hey, that's not fair. At least tell us what the property is like.

My apologies: I assumed the number would link to the property.

I ought to warn you: this is probably not what you are expecting...

http://www.whitegates.co.uk/property...ley/park-lea-1

Bloody hell. I could buy that on a credit card.

It says "cash only" :-)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 10:21:03 +0100, GB wrote:
This one is difficult, usually I put entries like STWNFI with acronym
after it in search engine but this time it came up with nothing known.

http://www.usenetmessages.com/view.p...46&id=1137&p=3

Warning: It's quite romantic.

It's better than my guess of "She that wants no feckin' iguanas"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 10:21:03 +0100, GB wrote:
This one is difficult, usually I put entries like STWNFI with acronym
after it in search engine but this time it came up with nothing known.

http://www.usenetmessages.com/view.p...46&id=1137&p=3

Warning: It's quite romantic.

It's better than my guess of "She that wants no feckin' iguanas"

He,he!
I'm not sure John Betjeman would have loved that interpretation but I do :-)

I've been having some serious thinking about how to power a house with no
mains supply and have the following thoughts.
So as not to need a generator running all the time.
The house is in a forest so fire wood should be in plentiful inexpensive
supply but is labour intensive. However it could still be used for cold
weather heating via a wood burning stove or two, with back boilers these
could even top up the hot water supply.

Oil could be the power source for heating and by having an oil fired
Aga/Stanley stove all cooking could be oil powered right down to boiling the
kettle. With that much land surrounding the house ground source heat could
be used to reduce the oil bills.
Solar panels and a wind turbine could in theory keep a bank of batteries
charged which if linked to low wattage bulbs would easily provide adequate
night time lighting, and run a computer, TV, radio, etc. but what about
other electric domestic appliances. Washing machine, Iron, dishwasher,
vacuumed cleaner etc.?
I wonder if a back up generator, running on the same oil supply as the
boiler/range could be set up to self start when demand went above that
supplies by the above?

Just musing over how modern life could continue with minimum
effort/reasonable cost without mains power.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2012 17:08, Muddymike wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 10:21:03 +0100, GB wrote:
This one is difficult, usually I put entries like STWNFI with acronym
after it in search engine but this time it came up with nothing known.

http://www.usenetmessages.com/view.p...46&id=1137&p=3

Warning: It's quite romantic.

It's better than my guess of "She that wants no feckin' iguanas"

He,he!
I'm not sure John Betjeman would have loved that interpretation but I do
:-)

I've been having some serious thinking about how to power a house with
no mains supply and have the following thoughts.
So as not to need a generator running all the time.
The house is in a forest so fire wood should be in plentiful inexpensive
supply but is labour intensive. However it could still be used for cold
weather heating via a wood burning stove or two, with back boilers these
could even top up the hot water supply.

Yup, heat should be doable from many sources...

Oil could be the power source for heating and by having an oil fired
Aga/Stanley stove all cooking could be oil powered right down to boiling
the kettle. With that much land surrounding the house ground source heat
could be used to reduce the oil bills.

Ground source would require lekky to make it work though.

Solar panels and a wind turbine could in theory keep a bank of batteries
charged which if linked to low wattage bulbs would easily provide
adequate night time lighting, and run a computer, TV, radio, etc.

You would need a decent bank of inverters as well...

(wonder if you could use a scrap milk float or submarine as a source of
a battery bank ;-)

but
what about other electric domestic appliances. Washing machine, Iron,
dishwasher, vacuumed cleaner etc.?

Thinks like washing machine etc you may be able to keep the load down
with a close supply of hot water...

An iron you can live without (or use a traditional one on the aga!)

Centralised ducted vacuum cleaner run from a petrol engine?

I wonder if a back up generator, running on the same oil supply as the
boiler/range could be set up to self start when demand went above that
supplies by the above?

Yup, that with careful use a UPS on the appliances that would be upset
by interruptions.

Just musing over how modern life could continue with minimum
effort/reasonable cost without mains power.

Alternatively, depending on the price, you may be able to afford to
spend 50K on getting mains in, and still be onto a winner!

Might be worth querying with a supplier what it would cost to get it on
grid?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:06:22 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

Muddymike wrote:
Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

Mike

This one is difficult, usually I put entries like STWNFI with acronym
after it in search engine but this time it came up with nothing known.

She Who Than No Fairer Is

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
Could this be my next challenge? STWNFI is keen to go view it!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-34780924.html

Mike

This one is difficult, usually I put entries like STWNFI with acronym
after it in search engine but this time it came up with nothing known.

She Who Than No Fairer Is

Snow White and the sSeven Persons Of Restricted Growth.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote

I've been having some serious thinking about how to power a house with no
mains supply and have the following thoughts.
So as not to need a generator running all the time.

The house is in a forest so fire wood should be in plentiful inexpensive
supply but is labour intensive. However it could still be used for cold
weather heating via a wood burning stove or two, with back boilers these
could even top up the hot water supply.

But has real downsides in summer.

Oil could be the power source for heating and by having an oil fired
Aga/Stanley stove all cooking could be oil powered right down to boiling
the kettle. With that much land surrounding the house ground source heat
could be used to reduce the oil bills.

But again, isnt that great in summer.

Solar panels and a wind turbine could in theory keep a bank of batteries
charged which if linked to low wattage bulbs would easily provide adequate
night time lighting, and run a computer, TV, radio, etc.

Yes.

but what about other electric domestic appliances. Washing machine, Iron,
dishwasher, vacuumed cleaner etc.?

You can do those with solar panels and an inverter too, but its not cheap.

Corse it may be cheaper than say 50K for getting the mains connected.

I wonder if a back up generator, running on the same oil supply as the
boiler/range could be set up to self start when demand went above that
supplies by the above?

Yes, thats whats done with emergency generators.

You obviously need a better generator than a manual
start one tho, and even then they aren't all that reliable.

We had a ****ing great thing the size of a small bus at work
and it only auto started most of the time. Always auto started
on a test tho.

Just musing over how modern life could continue with minimum
effort/reasonable cost without mains power.

It certainly can be done, but isnt cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

On Aug 16, 10:23*am, Andrew May wrote:
No inside photographs. That is always suspicious. I wonder what has been
done to it to make the EPC so bad.

And unmortgageable. I know repos can be rough inside but they're not
usually unmortgageable provided there's a kitchen sink.

It looks in quite good condition outside, apart from the fact that an
old person probably didn't do the garden for a few months. I've
condisidered buying far worse.

Maybe someone who failed to get "Half Built House" to come round
and fix it for nothing?

Perhaps even that is a mixed blessing, as I just found this:

http://www.channel5.com/shows/half-built-house/episodes/birmingham-3?related=clips#related_contents

Judi Campbell

In answer to the comments here I can say with authority (having been thoroughly made over) that neither Sian or the builders should be allowed near any more homes as sooner or later their lack of proper building knowledge(apart from the excellent plasterers) and design skills will catch up with them. I don't know about the others but I can tell you that our programme was full of lies - our kitchen was a work in progress (1 year not 11 as a building site with all the major work already done) and neither the electrics or the stairs were dangerous. They have destroyed and seriously damaged original features in our house and run away in a tantrum and ignored us when we challenged this. DO NOT believe what you see- it is all lies and trickery for tv and even then it's not impressive. Good professional help it definitely is not

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 08:46:03 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

http://www.channel5.com/shows/half-b...rmingham-3?rel
ated=clips#related_contents

DO NOT believe what you see- it is all lies and trickery for tv and
even then it's not impressive. Good professional help it definitely is
not

Well Duh! It's a TV programme that costs money to fill in the gaps they
have to have between the adverts that bring in the money. They ain't
going to spend any more money than they really have to are they.

I suspect there are people out there that do start "simple" jobs on their
homes without really thinking it through or having the
skills/knowledge/experience to finish. Knocking holes in walls and
ripping up floors is easy, putting 'em back much less so... These same
people probably believe everything they read in the newspapers, on the
internet, see on the telly and what a TV researcher tells em...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Perhaps even that is a mixed blessing, as I just found this:

http://www.channel5.com/shows/half-built-house/episodes/birmingham-3?related=clips#related_contents

Mrs McDonald had a rough time of it...
"My husband died 6 years ago in the bathroom"
Must've been a helluva tiling job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 09:40:44 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Well Duh! It's a TV programme that costs money to fill in the gaps they
have to have between the adverts that bring in the money. They ain't
going to spend any more money than they really have to are they.

Thinking back over the past decade when various TV researchers have
asked us for DIY disasters, I wonder if any of them had links to any
of the multitude of programmes that eventually made it on air. More
relevantly, did they get any leads or participation /cooperation from
any victims on or via here or spit diybanter or diynot?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 17:08:13 +0100, "Muddymike"
wrote:

Just musing over how modern life could continue with minimum
effort/reasonable cost without mains power.

It's all been done before and plenty of people live off-grid, still.
Some through choice by buying a plot or house in the boonies, just
like that.
Have a look at Homepower magazine and there is still a homepower
newsgroup extant, although I haven't used it for years.

Ground source heatpump, solar, wind, all charge you up and store your
leccy in a massive battery bank - modern low voltage appliances really
make a helluva difference to the quality of life without mains. You
can even get 12 or 24V washing machines. Modern invertors make life
easier, too.
Avoid running a diesel genset if at all possible, but you do need one
just in case and load-start ones have been around for decades. They're
better now than they've ever been, but it's still an expensive way to
power a house.

It's all a bit specialised but can be done relatively easily - just
put aside enough money to replace your battery bank every five years
or so - which might be a good several ŁK.
If the place is really cheap, it can be a go-er.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just musing over how modern life could continue with minimum
effort/reasonable cost without mains power.

It's all been done before and plenty of people live off-grid, still.
Some through choice by buying a plot or house in the boonies, just
like that.
Have a look at Homepower magazine and there is still a homepower
newsgroup extant, although I haven't used it for years.

Ground source heatpump, solar, wind, all

make an idyllic setting into an eco freak nightmare.

And cost an arm and a leg. Cheaper to get leccy run in.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 19:58:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

make an idyllic setting into an eco freak nightmare.

And cost an arm and a leg. Cheaper to get leccy run in.

Might have known you'd stick your poisonous oar in.
Why don't you **** off?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

make an idyllic setting into an eco freak nightmare.

And cost an arm and a leg. Cheaper to get leccy run in.

Might have known you'd stick your poisonous oar in.
Why don't you **** off?

I'll assume you are simply drunk.
One assumes the idea is to get a cheap place and turn it by judicious
application of brain and cash into a des res.

Not waste money on something that no one will ever want to buy.