Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Air purifier recommendations

Our basement at work is a bit mouldy/stale, there is an extractor in
there but i'd like to clean the air additionally with an air filter.

Problem is we work in there and it gets a bit dusty so i'm guessing a hepa
type unit would be costly in filters.
And I read that the filterless types are largely ineffective.

So I'm either looking for something with large, reasonably priced filters
or a filterless one that is up to the job.

Room is approx 40 cubic metres.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2012 11:01, R D S wrote:
Our basement at work is a bit mouldy/stale, there is an extractor in
there but i'd like to clean the air additionally with an air filter.

Problem is we work in there and it gets a bit dusty so i'm guessing a hepa
type unit would be costly in filters.
And I read that the filterless types are largely ineffective.

So I'm either looking for something with large, reasonably priced filters
or a filterless one that is up to the job.

Room is approx 40 cubic metres.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

You may find this website interesting:

http://www.air-purifier-power.com/

I have a Bionaire/Holmes BAP242 which has been used almost continuously
for nearly 4 years now without any problems,I don't replace the HEPA
filter, I just vacuum it gently which seems to do the job. The coarse
pre-filter doesn't fit very well but I believe the above website
mentions a modification:

" You can lower filter costs by replacing the too-small factory
prefilter with a piece of 3/8 inch thick urethane foam"

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
Our basement at work is a bit mouldy/stale, there is an extractor in
there but i'd like to clean the air additionally with an air filter.

Problem is we work in there and it gets a bit dusty so i'm guessing a
hepa type unit would be costly in filters. And I read that the
filterless types are largely ineffective.

So I'm either looking for something with large, reasonably priced
filters or a filterless one that is up to the job.

Room is approx 40 cubic metres.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

What does H&S say about it? I'd be more inclined to seal the walls and
floors etc to prevent the formation of dust rather than try and sort it
afterwards. Unless the dust is produced by machinery - in which case it
should be extracted at that point.

--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
Our basement at work is a bit mouldy/stale, there is an extractor in
there but i'd like to clean the air additionally with an air filter.

Problem is we work in there and it gets a bit dusty so i'm guessing a hepa
type unit would be costly in filters.
And I read that the filterless types are largely ineffective.

So I'm either looking for something with large, reasonably priced filters
or a filterless one that is up to the job.

Room is approx 40 cubic metres.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

You would be better to tackle the cause of the damp/dust in your basement at
source..
Some filterless types work electrostatically and they work but are expensive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 15:52:22 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

What does H&S say about it? I'd be more inclined to seal the walls and
floors etc to prevent the formation of dust rather than try and sort it
afterwards. Unless the dust is produced by machinery - in which case it
should be extracted at that point.

It's not mega dusty.
I was concerned having owned a number of vacuum cleaners where the
filters seem to clog quite quickly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 14:06:44 +0100, gremlin_95 wrote:

I have a Bionaire/Holmes BAP242

Two votes for Bionaire, i'll take a look at them.

Cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:01:56 AM UTC+1, R D S wrote:

If it is mouldy/stale, I would hazard a guess that there is no fresh air supply (or it doesn't work), no openable windows and some sort of extract that draws air
in through any cracks in the structure, under doors, etc..

If there are people working in there regularly (not a store room) they need a supply of fresh air from outside and this needs an AHU with panel & bag filters
and a heater. The building may have an air supply system already.
Forget the Bionaire stuff, it's domestic and won't cope.
If it hasn't got a fresh air supply already, it probably isn't meant to be a habitable room and you'd need to verify the fire alarm
and means of escape allow it to be occupied.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 05:01:56 -0500, R D S wrote:

Our basement at work is a bit mouldy/stale, there is an extractor in
there but i'd like to clean the air additionally with an air filter.

Try running a dehumidifier in there first.

Air filter units which sit in the room are quite ineffective. They
capture only a small proportion of airborne particles and do next to
nothing for smells. Although many claim to filter the air several
times an hour in fact what they do is filter some of the air several
times an hour. There is nothing to direct air through them so it is
often the same air going around and most of it going nowhere near
them. Also note all the ratings for these units are at full speed,
they make so much noise most are only ever run at minimum speed and
the length of time the filters last without needing cleaning or
replacing is testimony to their ineffectiveness.

Typically the absolute minimum number of air changes per hour for an
occupied room should be 4. The air purifier will have only a very
small proportion of this air pass through it so any slight effect will
be due to ionisers fitted to some. Note however that any ioniser (be
it a stand alone unit of part of a filter unit) will produce ozone in
small quantities but often sufficient to induce bronchospasm in people
with asthma. Ozone also increases sensitivity to mould so an ioniser
may not be at all suitable for your specific location.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 15:52:22 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

What does H&S say about it? I'd be more inclined to seal the walls and
floors etc to prevent the formation of dust rather than try and sort it
afterwards. Unless the dust is produced by machinery - in which case it
should be extracted at that point.

It's not mega dusty.
I was concerned having owned a number of vacuum cleaners where the
filters seem to clog quite quickly.

I'd be more concerned about those working in there than a vacuum cleaner.
;-)

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Hogg writes:

sheets of that black expanded foam stuff that most computer cooling
fans have, and that's also used for packaging integrated circuits to
eliminate static charge.

There are probably three types of that black plastic foam...
1. Plain coloured foam.
2. The conductive stuff used for integrated circuits - don't know if
that's ever used for filters.
3. Non-conducting electrostatically charged foam designed to attract
and trap dust much smaller than the hole sizes in it would otherwise
trap.

When I worked for a minicomputer manufacturer over 20 years ago, we
bought giant rolls of the 3rd type which we made into filters to fit
in the front of our rack units. Whilst being manufactured, it's
exposed to extremely high voltage potential, and that locks a static
charge into it for life (even survives washing with water and washing-
up liquid). This charge tends to attract small particles, which stick
in the filter, without using a fine filter which would generate
significant air resistance which would impede the system cooling.

I had several sheets of it when I left (we melted it onto stiff wire
frames for slotting into the racks), but after about 15 years (whether
used or not), it crumbles to pieces.

I have no idea what it's called or where you could find it nowadays,
although google turns up hits for washable electrostatic foam filters
which are probably the same stuff.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Which Air Purifier? Tony Hwang Home Repair 31 December 28th 08 10:35 PM
Air Purifier diablo Home Repair 4 January 21st 07 03:47 PM
air purifier Jenny Home Ownership 7 March 18th 05 01:22 AM
air purifier [email protected] Home Ownership 0 January 13th 05 01:28 AM