Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd wiring.

Doing various jobs at a lady's house, one of which was to replace the
pull cord switch in her en suite. Like for like, should have been simple.

Three story town house, en suite and common bathroom on the same floor.

One extractor fan vents both bathrooms via trunking.

The switch had failed mechanically as pull cords often do, but this one
was a weirdo.

Two cables coming in, both three core & earth, so red, yellow, blue.

The switch (Tenby MG888) had 4 terminals + earth.

Top left = COM, top right = N, bottom left = 1 WAY, bottom right = 2 WAY.

Never seen one of these before.

Cable 1 wired yellow to COM, red to 1 WAY, blue joined to blue in Cable 2.

Cable 2 wired yellow to COM, red to 1 WAY, blue joined to blue from Cable 1.

Terminals 1 WAY and 2 WAY are linked by a red cable.

I assume it's wired so that the switch in either bathroom triggers the
fan (which is on a timer).

Three visits to electrical wholesalers & a web search doesn't find a
Tenby MG 888 switch, so I've e mailed the manufacturers.

Not knowing how the switch 'switches' I can't figure out how it would
work or what alternative I can use if I can't locate a replacement switch.

This has even caused the knowledgeable & helpful Mr Wadsworth to scratch
his head!

Any thoughts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Odd! Were the two blue wires connected to the neutral terminal, or just
joined together in fresh air? Was *anything* connected to the N terminal?

Does the switch have a neon light, which glows when it's 'on'? If so,
that might account for the need for a neutral.

Having terminals marked Com, 1-way and 2-way suggests that it's a
change-over - with Com connected to 1-way in one position, changing to
Com to 2-way when you toggle it. In that case, it's *very* odd to join
1-way and 2-way together, because that means that the switch in *on* in
*both* positions, so that toggling it has now effect!

Are you sure you have reported the wiring correctly? What, according, to
the owner, is it *supposed* to do, and what is the perceived problem
which caused her to ask for it to be replaced?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Two switches, take the other one that works off and test it?

Brian

Email:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
[...]

Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Two switches, take the other one that works off and test it?

That is something we discussed over the phone.But Dave was not on site at
the time.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2012 12:51, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Joined as in fresh air :-) Chocky block.

Does the switch have a neon light, which glows when it's 'on'? If so,
that might account for the need for a neutral.

Nope.

Having terminals marked Com, 1-way and 2-way suggests that it's a
change-over - with Com connected to 1-way in one position, changing to
Com to 2-way when you toggle it. In that case, it's *very* odd to join
1-way and 2-way together, because that means that the switch in *on* in
*both* positions, so that toggling it has now effect!

My thoughts exactly!

Are you sure you have reported the wiring correctly? What, according, to
the owner, is it *supposed* to do, and what is the perceived problem
which caused her to ask for it to be replaced?

Pretty sure - I'll post a photo somewhere. The switch failed
mechanically & the light wouldn't come on - or the fan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

I have to say that I still believe it is what I suggested when you phoned
me. It's a double pole pullcord switch. The reds have been linked up to give
a permanent live to the fan (not that that link is needed), the yellows are
the switched live and the blues in the strip connector are the neutrals.

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...pullswitch.jpg.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2012 13:14, Owain wrote:
On Jul 15, 11:51 am, The Medway
wrote:
One extractor fan vents both bathrooms via trunking.

Should be wired using a double pole switch.

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...046c4bcfbf94e1

LIVE -------------- SWa Pole 1----------- LIGHT -- Neutral

|-- SWa Pole 2-----

-- SHARED -- Neutral
-- FAN

|-- SWb Pole 2-----

LIVE -------------- SWb Pole 1 ---------- LIGHT -- Neutral

if a timer fan then you will have an unswitched live to the fan as
well.

Owain

That makes perfect sense! But, in that case, I wouldn't expect the 4
poles to be labelled Com, 1-way, 2-way and N [1]. Has TMH misead them?

[1] I'm not sure what I *would* expect to see, but not that!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2012 13:14, Owain wrote:
On Jul 15, 11:51 am, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
One extractor fan vents both bathrooms via trunking.

Should be wired using a double pole switch.

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...046c4bcfbf94e1

LIVE -------------- SWa Pole 1----------- LIGHT -- Neutral

|-- SWa Pole 2-----

-- SHARED -- Neutral
-- FAN

|-- SWb Pole 2-----

LIVE -------------- SWb Pole 1 ---------- LIGHT -- Neutral

if a timer fan then you will have an unswitched live to the fan as
well.

Owain

Ta. So how does that translate to wiring colours?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(snip Owain's diagram)

This is exactly why I wire up so there's exactly one
unambiguous cable at each switch/outlet/whatever
and do all the voodoo in junction boxes. Even
tho' it's depreciated, I've had too many calls
from people who've taken a switch or ceiling
rose off and can't get any further.

Or worse, "I joined all the reds, and all the blacks,
and all the greens, but when I try to turn the light
off the fuse blows"

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

http://www.electrika.com/f/0550-legrand-w-10-11/#/182/

part number 0611 30

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Jul 21, 9:21 am, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
http://www.electrika.com/f/0550-legrand-w-10-11/#/182/

part number 0611 30

Is that momentary or latching?

I cannot see anything that suggests that is a momentary switch.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...hread/98f7dd24...

LIVE -------------- SWa Pole 1----------- LIGHT -- Neutral

|-- SWa Pole 2-----

-- SHARED -- Neutral
-- FAN

|-- SWb Pole 2-----

LIVE -------------- SWb Pole 1 ---------- LIGHT -- Neutral

if a timer fan then you will have an unswitched live to the fan as
well.

Owain

Double pole pull switch MK 3151 requires mounting block
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK3151.html

Owain

OK, I have located the switch Owain suggested.

It has L & N Supply at the top and L & N Load at the bottom.

So, do I wire it;

2 x reds to L Load, link to N Load, blues together, yellows to L & N Supply?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2012 22:07, Owain wrote:
On Jul 25, 5:15 pm, The Medway Handyman wrote:
OK, I have located the switch Owain suggested.
It has L & N Supply at the top and L & N Load at the bottom.
So, do I wire it;

2 x reds to L Load, link to N Load, blues together, yellows to L & N Supply?

No, you put the supply in the Supply side and the load in the Load
side :-)

RED ---------|--SUPPLY 1 LOAD---YLW1

RED ---------|--SUPPLY 2 LOAD---YLW2

BLUE --------|

BLEU --------|

Owain

No Link?

YLW1?

YLW2?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 25/07/2012 22:07, Owain wrote:

RED ---------|--SUPPLY 1 LOAD---YLW1

RED ---------|--SUPPLY 2 LOAD---YLW2

BLUE --------|

BLEU --------|

No Link?

Both reds (assume one is loop in, other is loop out to other switches
and they were wired together before) to Supply1 (AKA SupplyL) with link
to Supply2 (AKA SupplyN)

YLW1?
YLW2?

Yellows, can't remember your original wiring scheme but Load1 (AKA
LoadL) to your light and Load2 (AKA LoadN) to you fan.

Blues wired together (if they were before)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Jul 26, 12:24 am, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
No, you put the supply in the Supply side and the load in the Load
side :-)

No Link?

YLW1?

YLW2?

You have a link between the two Reds and the two Supply terminals.

Yellow 1
Yellow 2

http://tinypic.com/r/s3n8xu/6

That should do it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2012 22:07, Owain wrote:
[...]

A cross-channel circuit...?

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd wiring. Thanks

[...]

Went back today with a double pole switch, wired it in as advised -
worked a treat - everything working as it should do.

Many thanks everyone, especially Adam & Owain.