Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tool Sharing Programmes?

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any tool lending libraries or tool sharing schemes in the UK?

I've had a look at www.toolshareuk.com which looks perfect but there is no one in my area that is signed up to it. Unfortunately I live out in the country so am stuck to pester neighbours! I only need a few tools to re-fence the garden that would take me a weekend so really don't want to fork out for new tools or hire them.

Any ideas?

Thank You.
Alex
Posted to uk.d-i-y

- I've had a look at www.toolshareuk.com

As indeed you should Alex as its registered in your name.

Another dumb business idea eh chum ?

Domain Name: TOOLSHAREUK.COM
Created Date: 15-Jun-2012
Expiry Date: 15-Jun-2013
Nameserver: ns.123-reg.co.uk
Nameserver: ns2.123-reg.co.uk
Registrant Name: Alexander Conway
Registrant Company: Snow Ghost Music
Registrant Address: 5 Buckingham Drive
Registrant Address:
Registrant Address:
Registrant Address: Knutsford
Registrant Address: Cheshire
Registrant Address: WA16 8LH
Registrant Address: United Kingdom
Technical Name: Webfusion Limited
Technical Company: Webfusion Limited
Technical Address: 5 Roundwood Avenue
Technical Address:
Technical Address:
Technical Address: Stockley Park
Technical Address: Uxbridge
Technical Address: UB11 1FF
Technical Address: United Kingdom
Technical Email:
Technical Tel: +44.8712309525
Technical Fax:
Administrative Name: Alexander Conway
Administrative Company: Snow Ghost Music
Administrative Address: 5 Buckingham Drive
Administrative Address:
Administrative Address:
Administrative Address: Knutsford
Administrative Address: Cheshire
Administrative Address: WA16 8LH
Administrative Address: United Kingdom
Administrative Email:

Administrative Tel: +44.7912026911
Administrative Fax:

michael adams

Thank You.
Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've had a look at www.toolshareuk.com

As indeed you should Alex as its registered in your name.

When will they ever learn?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've had a look atwww.toolshareuk.com

I always feel wary about using somebody else's tools, it's like
using somebody else's underpants.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Busted fair and square. Good cop, nice to see where my WhoIs privacy policy money is going, thank god I didn't sign up with my home address.

I do think the website will be successful, granted people embrace it.

FYI the website is non-profit, no-one gets any money (apart from the people who advertise on it I suppose), just an attempt to fix a problem that was annoying me. And the first FAQ question is purely to get people to sign up. And yes, of course there are huge security issues but the website serves to network those lenders & borrowers not to facilitate any sort of transactions.

I hope people will sign up, I'm happy to report that so far it has worked successfully for a few people which is what its all about, community and saving people money. Its there for the right reasons.

Fair play though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
acmusic writes
Busted fair and square. Good cop, nice to see where my WhoIs privacy
policy money is going, thank god I didn't sign up with my home address.

I do think the website will be successful, granted people embrace it.

FYI the website is non-profit, no-one gets any money (apart from the
people who advertise on it I suppose), just an attempt to fix a problem
that was annoying me. And the first FAQ question is purely to get
people to sign up. And yes, of course there are huge security issues
but the website serves to network those lenders & borrowers not to
facilitate any sort of transactions.

I hope people will sign up, I'm happy to report that so far it has
worked successfully for a few people which is what its all about,
community and saving people money. Its there for the right reasons.

But you're a dishonest person, why would anyone want to go near you?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:17:14 PM UTC+1, geoff wrote:

But you're a dishonest person, why would anyone want to go near you?

--
geoff

Geoff, Fair point, but I don't have any money to aggressively advertise a website that doesn't make any money, so you sort of have to be a bit cheeky to see if its an idea worth pursuing.

Alex
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

"acmusic" wrote in message
- Hi all,

- Does anyone know of any tool lending libraries or tool sharing schemes
in the UK?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

- I've had a look at www.toolshareuk.com

As indeed you should Alex as its registered in your name.

Another dumb business idea eh chum ?

michael adams

Thank You.
Alex

As discussed, fair cop. Hope you've read my explanation. If possible could you please remove your WhoIS search results post please?

Brgds,
Alex
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:32:20 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

> If possible could you please remove your WhoIS search results post please?

This is usenet, it's not possible.

You might get Google to remove it from Google Groups if you ask nicely,
but it'll be stored on hundreds of other servers, besides anyone can
repeat the whois query for themselves.

Thanks for the reply Andy, could he not just click "delete post" to the right of his message? I'll get in touch with Google and enquire as to why my whois privacy policy doesn't work.

Thank you,
Alex
Posted to uk.d-i-y

acmusic wrote:

could he not just click "delete post" to the right of his message?

Presumably you're looking at Google groups, which is merely a web
front-end to Usenet, but most users here are on "usenet proper".

Nowadays it's virtually impossible to cancel a message, even if the
usenet server honours cancels, it's round the world in seconds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"acmusic" wrote in message
On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:32:20 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

> If possible could you please remove your WhoIS search results post
please?

This is usenet, it's not possible.

You might get Google to remove it from Google Groups if you ask nicely,
but it'll be stored on hundreds of other servers, besides anyone can
repeat the whois query for themselves.

Thanks for the reply Andy, could he not just click "delete post" to the right
of his message?

- I'll get in touch with Google and enquire as to why my whois privacy policy
doesn't work.

Nothing to do with Google.

Whois privacy only applies to private individuals not sites registered
as businesses.

So either you didn't tick the correct box when you registered the website

Or the registrant who you paid to register the website didn't tick the
correct box.

michael adams

Thank you,
Alex

- I've had a look at www.toolshareuk.com

As indeed you should Alex as its registered in your name.

Another dumb business idea eh chum ?

michael adams

Thank You.
Alex

As discussed, fair cop. Hope you've read my explanation.

Nope. As I explained for the reasons given, the whole idea is a
non starter.

Rather than allowing you to sit around for months on end wondering why
you got so littel response, I've explained it all for you.

But rather than thank me, like most people who post on NewsGroups
with their bright ideas, you probably want to argue, you won't take
no for an answer

If possible could you please remove your WhoIS search results post please?

Sorry that's not an option. I feel under no obligation of any kind to oblige
spammers. Rather than make a postive contribution to this NG you chose to
act under false pretences, using this NG for your own selfish ends

And even if I wanted to, I can't remove further posts which have quoted
my post in any case.

If you were that worried about being found out, and the possibility of
your security being compromied then perhaps you should have
conducted a whois query on your own website before posting it
on a public forum. Either that or post under a pseudonym.

Just count yourself lucky that you've never felt tempted to rob
banks, that's all.

As I've said, your idea is a non-starter. Hand tools as used for
fencing not only last a lifetime, but very often are handed down.
There's not even any requirement to be that fastidious about
well made tools - provided they're not abused or allowed to
rust, then they'll last.

All of which would make anyone naturally wary about lending
such tools to someone who unnaccountably didn't already own
any of their own, and had no intention of buying any.

And so for this reason there's probably little likelihood
that you'll ever be in any position to compromise the identity
of too many potential subscribers as you have already
done in your own case.

michael adams

Brgds,
Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTL JTL is offline

Dear Michael.

Thank you. Finally an honest opinion, as you can guess I'm not a regular NewsGroup user but won't argue with your logic, its sound. As you can also tell I'm hardly computer literate, didn't get whois protection in time, and failed miserably on this.

For the record, I wasn't, nor am I trying to scam anyone - in fact in my original post I was hunting for genuine feedback. I'm not some giant corporation trying to con NG users.

All of which would make anyone naturally wary about lending
such tools to someone who unnaccountably didn't already own
any of their own, and had no intention of buying any.

This is a very sound point, one I've been wrestling with. Why spend money on building up a collection to just lend them out to those who can't be bothered, right?

Thanks for the feedback Michael, perhaps I will shut down the website, someone wants to buy the domain name anyway.

One final plea, I'm not hugely fussed about the whois showing in quoted messages but I beg you to delete your original whois post. Let me know if theres anything I could do.

Regards,
Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , JTL
writes
Dear Michael.

Thank you. Finally an honest opinion, as you can guess I'm not a
regular NewsGroup user but won't argue with your logic, its sound. As
you can also tell I'm hardly computer literate, didn't get whois
protection in time, and failed miserably on this.

For the record, I wasn't, nor am I trying to scam anyone - in fact in
my original post I was hunting for genuine feedback.

No you weren't, stop lying and stop digging that hole for yourself

You were trying to publicise your website

I'm not some giant corporation trying to con NG users.

quoted messages but I beg you to delete your original whois post.

You mean this one?

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2012 00:26, JTL wrote:
[...]

Alex,

I think you are missing the point here - its not a case of not having
the "will" to delete a post, but one of not having the capability.

Google groups provides discussion groups or their own, but they also
make it possible to access usenet groups they don't own such as this.

While they can delete messages that are on their own groups (when
requested), they can't delete messages from usenet. Usenet is
distributed, and consists of thousands of computers all over the world
that share the task of maintaining 100's of thousands of discussion
groups and terabytes of daily traffic.

Most of us don't use google to access this group. We have no "delete
button". The best we can do is send a cancel message to try to kill the
post. However only a few servers will respond to that message - most
will ignore it.

The best you can can do (in theory) is ask google to delete the post (or
place a header on your message telling them not to archive it in the
first place). However this only applies to posts that you made yourself.
If you want them to take down someone else's post then you will need
legal action to prove the post was in some way unlawful. Since all the
post did was post information already available in the public domain, I
would rate your chances of doing that as being zero.

However, rest assured that in time, most usenet servers will expire old
articles. This group gets over 6000 posts per month, so will fall off
the end of many servers posting history in a few weeks. However you will
need to live with the fact that what is out there will remain accessible
for the foreseeable future.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , michael
adams writes
As I've said, your idea is a non-starter. Hand tools as used for
fencing not only last a lifetime, but very often are handed down.
There's not even any requirement to be that fastidious about
well made tools - provided they're not abused or allowed to
rust, then they'll last.

Its also an idea that's been discussed to death numerous times in this
NG and found wanting

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
news
In message , michael adams
writes
As I've said, your idea is a non-starter. Hand tools as used for
fencing not only last a lifetime, but very often are handed down.
There's not even any requirement to be that fastidious about
well made tools - provided they're not abused or allowed to
rust, then they'll last.

Its also an idea that's been discussed to death numerous times in this NG and
found wanting

--
geoff

That's my £250 consultation fee up in smoke, then.

You couldn't possibly remove your post, could you geoff ?

I'll cut you in for half.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff wrote:
In message , michael
adams writes
As I've said, your idea is a non-starter. Hand tools as used for
fencing not only last a lifetime, but very often are handed down.
There's not even any requirement to be that fastidious about
well made tools - provided they're not abused or allowed to
rust, then they'll last.

Its also an idea that's been discussed to death numerous times in this
NG and found wanting

One thing that comes up time and time again in my Rover car club is the
repair of damaged threads. I sort of offered to organise and run a hire of
the various Helicoil kits needed - but only if the club put up the
required funds. Deathly silence - although they do invest in the
re-manufacture of some hard to find spare parts. Which is probably more
sexy.
It would be a fairly risk free operation lending to people you already
know their address, etc, and against a deposit.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

- I've had a look at www.toolshareuk.com

As indeed you should Alex as its registered in your name.

Another dumb business idea eh chum ?

michael adams

Thank You.
Alex

As discussed, fair cop. Hope you've read my explanation. If possible
could you please remove your WhoIS search results post please?

Why? It's public information. And you brought it on yourself.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

- I've had a look at www.toolshareuk.com

[...]

Apparently he wants the post with the WHOIS details removed. Presumably
he wants followups like this one removed too.

Serves him right for spamming and being underhand in the firts place.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I wonder if the taxman knows about Snow Ghost Music

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"acmusic" wrote in message
Hi all,

Does anyone know of any tool lending libraries or tool sharing schemes in
the UK?

I've had a look at www.toolshareuk.com which looks perfect but there is no
one in my area that is signed up to it. Unfortunately I live out in the
country so am stuck to pester neighbours! I only need a few tools to
re-fence the garden that would take me a weekend so really don't want to
fork out for new tools or hire them.

Any ideas?

Thank You.
Alex

Hmmmmmmmm, tool sharing, is this anything to do with wifeswapping?
I'll get me coat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"acmusic" wrote in message
Hi all,

Does anyone know of any tool lending libraries or tool sharing schemes in
the UK?

I've had a look at www.toolshareuk.com which looks perfect but there is no
one in my area that is signed up to it. Unfortunately I live out in the
country so am stuck to pester neighbours! I only need a few tools to
re-fence the garden that would take me a weekend so really don't want to
fork out for new tools or hire them.

Doesn't look very rural to me

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=WA16...ngdom&t=h&z=16

Junior Member

Hi dear We are proud to say that we are a locally owned and operated business.
We understand that making one call and being able to order everything you require from the timber to hardware to complete your project makes life easier.
we sale all type of tools which you want....

fence supplies

Last edited by Clark01 : August 11th 12 at 07:57 AM