Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tools for tree pruning

I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
A couple of questions for anyone "in the know":

Are rope saws any good? They only seem to have teeth on one side so how
do they stay with the teeth against the branch?

Are there any good deals on electric pruners on extendable poles?

Are there any other toys I should consider?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 10, 7:02*pm, Nospam wrote:
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
A couple of questions for anyone "in the know":

Are rope saws any good? They only seem to have teeth on one side so how
do they stay with the teeth against the branch?

Are there any good deals on electric pruners on extendable poles?

Are there any other toys I should consider?

Pole saw. (Chainsaw on the end of a pole)
http://www.hobuk.co.uk/acatalog/tele...FSsntAodh353-w
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2012 19:02, Nospam wrote:
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
A couple of questions for anyone "in the know":

Are rope saws any good? They only seem to have teeth on one side so how
do they stay with the teeth against the branch?

Are there any good deals on electric pruners on extendable poles?

Are there any other toys I should consider?

see my post earlier this week on Ryobi .... the petrol pruner is a gem.
You could probably buy one, do the job and sell it on for what you paid
for it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nospam" wrote in message
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
A couple of questions for anyone "in the know":

Are rope saws any good? They only seem to have teeth on one side so how do
they stay with the teeth against the branch?

Are there any good deals on electric pruners on extendable poles?

Are there any other toys I should consider?

You could do far worse than a Silky saw.
Daft name, I know, but being Japanese that may be allowed.
I watched a tree surgeon working recently and I asked to see his handsaw.
Then tried it out.
Very impressed. The chap told me it is the preferred choice of professional
arborealists.
An amazing tool, liked it so much I bought one.
http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/

This is one supplier but there are many others. Purchased mine from ebay.
I have no connection with Silky or anybody that supplies their saws.
Not cheap but excellent quality. I cannot think of any saw to better this.

Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

"Nospam" wrote in message
[...]

I've always used Wolf tools for tree lopping.

A Telescopic handle (up to 4 metres) and interchangeable tools so you
can use a saw or a lopper to suit the job.

see

http://www.worldofwolf.co.uk/Trees-Shrubs/Tree-Care

Over time I've ended up getting the professional pruning saw, adjustable
lopper & the fruit picker. That covers most of my needs.

I've found the tools and the handle to be pretty robust - unlike some of
the cheaper tools available.

I haven't seen the japanese tools that Nick mentioned, but if they're as
good as the japanese tripod ladders they're first class.

see http://www.niwaki.com/store/3-leg-adjustable-tripod/

Absolutely rock steady in use - just like going upstairs.

Yes, they are v. expensive.

--
Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2012 19:02, Nospam wrote:
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
A couple of questions for anyone "in the know":

Are rope saws any good? They only seem to have teeth on one side so how
do they stay with the teeth against the branch?

Are there any good deals on electric pruners on extendable poles?

Are there any other toys I should consider?

Could you clarify what size of tree we are talking about?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2012 19:13, harry wrote:
On Jul 10, 7:02 pm, wrote:
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
A couple of questions for anyone "in the know":

Are rope saws any good? They only seem to have teeth on one side so how
do they stay with the teeth against the branch?

Are there any good deals on electric pruners on extendable poles?

Are there any other toys I should consider?

Pole saw. (Chainsaw on the end of a pole)
http://www.hobuk.co.uk/acatalog/tele...FSsntAodh353-w

Very interesting - 'shame they're quite so expensive but I'll see what
comes-up on feeBay and gumtree
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2012 19:14, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 10/07/2012 19:02, Nospam wrote:
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
A couple of questions for anyone "in the know":

Are rope saws any good? They only seem to have teeth on one side so how
do they stay with the teeth against the branch?

Are there any good deals on electric pruners on extendable poles?

Are there any other toys I should consider?

see my post earlier this week on Ryobi .... the petrol pruner is a gem.
You could probably buy one, do the job and sell it on for what you paid
for it

The Ryobi expand-it system looks interesting but the dealer you
mentioned doesn't have any listed - I'll give them a call when they get
back from hols.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2012 20:21, Nick wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I'm a convert to Japanese saws for woodwork but the cost of a silky fox
pole saw would get me a long way towards a Ryobi petrol pole pruner -
which I now have a "tool lust" for ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2012 23:20, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/07/2012 19:02, Nospam wrote:
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
A couple of questions for anyone "in the know":

Are rope saws any good? They only seem to have teeth on one side so how
do they stay with the teeth against the branch?

Are there any good deals on electric pruners on extendable poles?

Are there any other toys I should consider?

Could you clarify what size of tree we are talking about?

I can do the large and reasonably low branches with the chainsaw, but
the higher ones are up to about 200mm diameter and up to about 3m high
(there's quite a lot above that but I'm resigned to not being able to
reach them without using ropes and climbing gear)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:02:34 PM UTC+1, Nospam wrote:
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
Are there any other toys I should consider?

I use one of these: http://www.honeybros.com/index.php?a...4se7t9q7451nq9

No problem with it sawing through branches even when all four poles are together.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2012 12:22, matthelliwell wrote:
On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:02:34 PM UTC+1, Nospam wrote:
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
Are there any other toys I should consider?

I use one of these: http://www.honeybros.com/index.php?a...4se7t9q7451nq9

No problem with it sawing through branches even when all four poles are together.

Matt

Thanks, the poles look as if they would be stiffer than some of the
others - tempting.
I'm starting to wonder about SECURELY mounting an electric chainsaw on a
series of poles ... but I don't want to end-up as a candidate for the
Darwin awards!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nospam" wrote in message
On 11/07/2012 12:22, matthelliwell wrote:
On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:02:34 PM UTC+1, Nospam wrote:
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches
are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
Are there any other toys I should consider?

I use one of these:
http://www.honeybros.com/index.php?a...4se7t9q7451nq9

No problem with it sawing through branches even when all four poles are
together.

Matt

Thanks, the poles look as if they would be stiffer than some of the
others - tempting.
I'm starting to wonder about SECURELY mounting an electric chainsaw on a
series of poles ... but I don't want to end-up as a candidate for the
Darwin awards!!

i'm surprised no one has made a 1/4 scale model of that helicopter saw from
one of the bond movies, be just the thing for jobs like this, start at the
top and slowly circle coming down..... put serrated tangs on the rotor
blades and it'd lop the main trunk off every few inches too if you get too
close

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My preference would be a petrol engined pole saw. Stihl Kombi have one in their range and have an accessory 1m extension carbon fibre pole for it. This would give lots of reach.

There is a skill/knack to lopping branches. You need to under cut slightly then go over the top of the branch otherwise the saw blade can get nipped/trapped by the branch falling before it is fully cut. Can be a right p.i.t.a.. if it happens on a high branch. Also mind you don't get hit by a heavy branch letting go and swinging down hinged on the unfinished cut portion. Can pin one to the bole of the tree.

Paul Mc Cann
n Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:49:06 PM UTC+1, Nospam wrote:
On 11/07/2012 12:22, matthelliwell wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:02:34 PM UTC+1, Nospam wrote:
>> I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
>> fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
>> chainsaw are gone.
>> Are there any other toys I should consider?
>
> I use one of these: http://www.honeybros.com/index.php?a...e7t 9q7451nq9
>
> No problem with it sawing through branches even when all four poles are together.
>
> Matt

Thanks, the poles look as if they would be stiffer than some of the
others - tempting.
I'm starting to wonder about SECURELY mounting an electric chainsaw on a
series of poles ... but I don't want to end-up as a candidate for the
Darwin awards!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nospam wrote:
but I don't want to end-up as a candidate for the Darwin awards!!

Only valid if you haven't yet propagated your DNA.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 10, 8:21*pm, "Nick" wrote:
You could do far worse than a Silky saw.
Daft name, I know, but being Japanese that may be allowed.

I like Japanese saws too. My Silky saws are good pruners, but for
silly names I also like my very similar and equally Japanese "Ars(e)
saw"
http://www.ars-edge.co.jp/world/02pr...runingsaw.html
Yes, I did buy it just because it has a silly name.

I'm not a big fan of the huge two-handed Silky. At that size, I can
find better saws in Western style. I do like the small "super
penknife" folders though. They're great for stickmakers collecting
hedge timber.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2012 16:29, jgharston wrote:
Nospam wrote:
but I don't want to end-up as a candidate for the Darwin awards!!

Only valid if you haven't yet propagated your DNA.

JGH

So if I have "propagated" I'm free to do dumb things?
Oh good :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2012 19:02, Nospam wrote:
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
A couple of questions for anyone "in the know":

Are rope saws any good? They only seem to have teeth on one side so how
do they stay with the teeth against the branch?

Are there any good deals on electric pruners on extendable poles?

Are there any other toys I should consider?

How do you feel about dangling in a tree with a bow saw?
I've got a 21" Bahco bowsaw. When fitted with a brand-new "green wood"
blade, it will cut through wood with surprisingly little effort, and
it's probably safer than a chainsaw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2012 10:20, Nospam wrote:
On 10/07/2012 23:20, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/07/2012 19:02, Nospam wrote:
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
A couple of questions for anyone "in the know":

Are rope saws any good? They only seem to have teeth on one side so how
do they stay with the teeth against the branch?

Are there any good deals on electric pruners on extendable poles?

Are there any other toys I should consider?

Could you clarify what size of tree we are talking about?

I can do the large and reasonably low branches with the chainsaw, but
the higher ones are up to about 200mm diameter and up to about 3m high
(there's quite a lot above that but I'm resigned to not being able to
reach them without using ropes and climbing gear)

3m is doable with the chainsaw on a stick trimmers certainly...

I have used a pair of extension tubes on mine - which probably makes it
about 2m total length. Held above my head that probably adds another
2.5m. The only slight irritation is that the pruner heads all tend to be
fixed in position pointing along the axis of the poles. Fine for limbs
off the side, but not ideal of nipping off the central trunk of a tree
that's getting too tall.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2012 12:49, Nospam wrote:
On 11/07/2012 12:22, matthelliwell wrote:
On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:02:34 PM UTC+1, Nospam wrote:
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the
branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
Are there any other toys I should consider?

I use one of these:
http://www.honeybros.com/index.php?a...4se7t9q7451nq9

No problem with it sawing through branches even when all four poles
are together.

Matt

Thanks, the poles look as if they would be stiffer than some of the
others - tempting.
I'm starting to wonder about SECURELY mounting an electric chainsaw on a
series of poles ... but I don't want to end-up as a candidate for the
Darwin awards!!

One of the advantages of the long reach chainsaws is that if the blunt
end of the pole is at your end, you can be in the kickback zone of the
sharp end ;-)

(perhaps one of the cordless electric chainsaws would be a good
candidate for pole attachment)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2012 18:10, RustyCrampon wrote:
On 10/07/2012 19:02, Nospam wrote:
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
A couple of questions for anyone "in the know":

Are rope saws any good? They only seem to have teeth on one side so how
do they stay with the teeth against the branch?

Are there any good deals on electric pruners on extendable poles?

Are there any other toys I should consider?

How do you feel about dangling in a tree with a bow saw?
I've got a 21" Bahco bowsaw. When fitted with a brand-new "green wood"
blade, it will cut through wood with surprisingly little effort, and
it's probably safer than a chainsaw.

I think it's the "dangling" bit that is probably gone ;-) I have a
mountaineer son so maybe I can talk him into paying a visit
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RustyCrampon" wrote in message
.com...
On 10/07/2012 19:02, Nospam wrote:
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
A couple of questions for anyone "in the know":

Are rope saws any good? They only seem to have teeth on one side so how
do they stay with the teeth against the branch?

Are there any good deals on electric pruners on extendable poles?

Are there any other toys I should consider?

How do you feel about dangling in a tree with a bow saw?
I've got a 21" Bahco bowsaw. When fitted with a brand-new "green wood"
blade, it will cut through wood with surprisingly little effort, and it's
probably safer than a chainsaw.

A sabre saw is safer than a chainsaw and easier than a bow saw.
However I just had a 60' birch tree cut down and it was £80 so I think I
would get the man in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2012 21:53, dennis@home wrote:
.... snipped
However I just had a 60' birch tree cut down and it was £80 so I think
I would get the man in.

Tree surgeons round here (Hampshire) charge £500-650/day !!!!!!!!!!!!! I
had one in fairly recently to do some major work on a huge TPO'd Walnut
on the front lawn, but for smaller stuff I'd prefer to DIY.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Jul 10, 8:21 pm, "Nick" wrote:
You could do far worse than a Silky saw.
Daft name, I know, but being Japanese that may be allowed.

I like Japanese saws too. My Silky saws are good pruners, but for
silly names I also like my very similar and equally Japanese "Ars(e)
saw"
http://www.ars-edge.co.jp/world/02pr...runingsaw.html
Yes, I did buy it just because it has a silly name.

I'm not a big fan of the huge two-handed Silky. At that size, I can
find better saws in Western style. I do like the small "super
penknife" folders though. They're great for stickmakers collecting
hedge timber.

I'm inclined to disagree with you Andy.
The one I have would not be described as huge. It is light in weight, has
very good balance and excellent cutting abilities. The extended handle
allows it to be used single or double handed. Haven't yet needed to use it
double handed even when cutting stuff up to about 100mm. Also the design of
the handle allows for a little distance between the user and the stuff when
trimming the likes of holly, brier or thorn.
Having said that, I bow to your superior knowledge. In the past I have made
do with bow saws for trimming, and have the scars to prove it. Old codger,
way behind the times.
I'll take a look at Ars saws.
Thanks,
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2012 10:04, Nospam wrote:
On 10/07/2012 19:14, Rick Hughes wrote:

The Ryobi expand-it system looks interesting but the dealer you
mentioned doesn't have any listed - I'll give them a call when they get
back from hols.

Guess deals are so good - it's pot luck ... try eBay .. when I was
looking there were some good deals on new products .. that is how I
found that company.

Probably no good for a farmer ... but for gardener great.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2012 17:55, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 11/07/2012 10:04, Nospam wrote:
On 10/07/2012 19:14, Rick Hughes wrote:

The Ryobi expand-it system looks interesting but the dealer you
mentioned doesn't have any listed - I'll give them a call when they get
back from hols.

Guess deals are so good - it's pot luck ... try eBay .. when I was
looking there were some good deals on new products .. that is how I
found that company.

Probably no good for a farmer ... but for gardener great.

The Ryobi 720W electric pruner is less than £100 and gets reasonable
reviews so I've ordered one (even though the blade is a bit short)
because it should be easier to extend the pole than with the petrol one.
I'll probably get a long pole saw as well for the higher stuff.

It would be useful to get some feedback on whether the rope saws are
worth bothering with
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nospam" wrote in message
On 11/07/2012 21:53, dennis@home wrote:
... snipped
However I just had a 60' birch tree cut down and it was £80 so I think
I would get the man in.

Tree surgeons round here (Hampshire) charge £500-650/day !!!!!!!!!!!!! I
had one in fairly recently to do some major work on a huge TPO'd Walnut on
the front lawn, but for smaller stuff I'd prefer to DIY.

I did a height reduction on a smaller tree (40'ish) a couple of years ago
and its quite easy using a sabre saw.
However I have been having balance problems and there is no way I am going
to climb a tree to lop bits off ATM.
The guy is coming back to reduce the height of the remaining trees later in
the year when the sap has stopped rising.
He does contract work for the council so he has been around a while.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 12, 3:29*pm, "Nick" wrote:
I'm inclined to disagree with you Andy.
The one I have would not be described as huge.

I mean the one they describe as a "katana". It's really quite big!
Not quite as big as my Japanese rip saw, but I'm using that in a
workshop where I have room to move. Because it's Japanese and has a
"stick" handle, you have to move your body around quite a bit to keep
the angle right. Up a tree, the handle of their big saw is just a bit
unwieldy. I usually prefer my "Goat Head" saw for heavy pruning in a
tree, as the "goat"-shaped head allows you to hold it from quite a
wide range of angles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FEEDBACK: Tools for tree pruning

On 10/07/2012 19:02, Nospam wrote:
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
A couple of questions for anyone "in the know":

Are rope saws any good? They only seem to have teeth on one side so how
do they stay with the teeth against the branch?

Are there any good deals on electric pruners on extendable poles?

Are there any other toys I should consider?

Thanks to all those who replied earlier.
I bought a Ryobi RPP720 electric pole saw (a small chainsaw on a stick)
from Amazon and spent a happy Sunday in the garden. To cut a long story
(and branch!) short: it's the dog's dangly bits! A remarkable tool for
less than £100, in fact it's so good I tackled some things that were too
big really (200+mm diameter and 3m off the ground) but it coped. It
would be good if the "blade" and pole were both slightly longer but it's
a top boy's toy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2012 21:39, Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Glad it's done the job.

I always thought that even a small chainsaw on the end of a long pole
would be really hard to handle unless you stand immediately below the
cut & hold the pole exactly vertical - which doesn't seem like a good
idea.

Not so?

If its anything like the petrol one, then no - you can wield it any
direction you like. The only thing you can't do it rotate the pruner
head to allow reaching high up and also to cut sideways (i.e. the chain
bar is always inline with the pole - although you can rotate it)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The head is certainly not light (and I now have a few aches from using
long-forgotten muscles - especially after a second session, yesterday)
but it's easy-enough to use. I suspect that the head on petrol-powered
versions is lighter but I'm going to extend the shaft by about 1.5
metres and that would be harder on the petrol units.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2012 09:03, Nospam wrote:
[...]

The petrol ones also have the weight of the motor, at the users end of
the device, which at least does help counterbalance.

Extending the petrol ones is relatively easy - you insert additional
shaft extensions between the motor unit and the business end. More than
a couple (each about 600mm) might get to be unusable though.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Pruning cuts and healing Colbyt Home Repair 5 September 13th 09 06:41 PM
Tree Pruning Tips ezycash Home Ownership 0 March 27th 09 04:18 AM
Pruning SteveB Metalworking 3 June 9th 08 04:35 AM
Tree pruning 4square UK diy 72 April 28th 08 08:43 PM
Tree Pruning John UK diy 7 July 29th 06 11:35 AM