Junior Member

Default Gas Pipe Extention

I Am Refitting My Kitchen And Need To Extend The 15mm Copper Gas Pipe By About 12" To Fit The New Gas Hob. Can I Turn The Gas Off At The Mains And Then Extend The Pipe Using A Straight 15mm Compression Connector Or Isolator Valve With Ptfe Tape(gas) On The Threads. I Have Fitted Central Heating Pipes And Water Pipes When Refitting A Bathroom And Ensuite
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PAUL DALBY wrote:
I Am Refitting My Kitchen And Need To Extend The 15mm Copper Gas Pipe
By About 12" To Fit The New Gas Hob. Can I Turn The Gas Off At The
Mains And Then Extend The Pipe Using A Straight 15mm Compression
Connector Or Isolator Valve With Ptfe Tape(gas) On The Threads. I
Have Fitted Central Heating Pipes And Water Pipes When Refitting A
Bathroom And Ensuite

I Have No Idea.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PAUL DALBY
writes

I Am Refitting My Kitchen And Need To Extend The 15mm Copper Gas Pipe
By About 12" To Fit The New Gas Hob. Can I Turn The Gas Off At The
Mains And Then Extend The Pipe Using A Straight 15mm Compression
Connector Or Isolator Valve With Ptfe Tape(gas) On The Threads. I Have
Fitted Central Heating Pipes And Water Pipes When Refitting A Bathroom
And Ensuite

You're posting on diybanter, so probably not

gas fitting is not for retards

.... especially those who start each word with a capital letter ?!?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2012 17:39, PAUL DALBY wrote:
I Am Refitting My Kitchen And Need To Extend The 15mm Copper Gas Pipe
By About 12" To Fit The New Gas Hob. Can I Turn The Gas Off At The
Mains And Then Extend The Pipe Using A Straight 15mm Compression
Connector Or Isolator Valve With Ptfe Tape(gas) On The Threads. I Have
Fitted Central Heating Pipes And Water Pipes When Refitting A Bathroom
And Ensuite

Let's try and be helpful, shall we? Compression fittings are acceptable,
so is a suitably rated tap. You obviously know there is a special,
thicker PTFE tape for use with gas. You can't charge anyone unless you
are registered. You *can* DIY in this country if you are competent, but
that isn't defined. So if you did blow someone up or burn the house down
you could end up in court, or arguing with an insurance company. So it's
not a risk to be taken lightly. OTOH from what you are saying it
*sounds* like a straightforward job. You probably need to include a pipe
clip or two. To comply with current regs you must not use a flexible
hose. You should check your joints afterwards at least with a bubble
spray, and you must do a "pressure drop" test which would normally be at
the meter. I think there are instructions for this on the DIY wiki.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
wrote

gas fitting is not for retards

Not these days with plastic pipe and push fit connectors.

--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 10/07/2012 17:39, PAUL DALBY wrote:
I Am Refitting My Kitchen And Need To Extend The 15mm Copper Gas Pipe
By About 12" To Fit The New Gas Hob. Can I Turn The Gas Off At The
Mains And Then Extend The Pipe Using A Straight 15mm Compression
Connector Or Isolator Valve With Ptfe Tape(gas) On The Threads. I Have
Fitted Central Heating Pipes And Water Pipes When Refitting A Bathroom
And Ensuite

Let's try and be helpful, shall we? Compression fittings are acceptable,
so is a suitably rated tap.

With the proviso they must be somewhere accessible. Not under the floor
etc..

You obviously know there is a special, thicker PTFE tape for use with
gas. You can't charge anyone unless you are registered. You *can* DIY in
this country if you are competent, but that isn't defined. So if you did
blow someone up or burn the house down you could end up in court, or
arguing with an insurance company. So it's not a risk to be taken
lightly. OTOH from what you are saying it *sounds* like a straightforward
job. You probably need to include a pipe clip or two. To comply with
current regs you must not use a flexible hose.

Depends on the manufacturers instructions.

You should check your joints afterwards at least with a bubble spray, and
you must do a "pressure drop" test which would normally be at the meter.
I think there are instructions for this on the DIY wiki.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

On 10/07/2012 17:39, PAUL DALBY wrote:
I Am Refitting My Kitchen And Need To Extend The 15mm Copper Gas Pipe
By About 12" To Fit The New Gas Hob. Can I Turn The Gas Off At The
Mains And Then Extend The Pipe Using A Straight 15mm Compression
Connector Or Isolator Valve With Ptfe Tape(gas) On The Threads. I Have
Fitted Central Heating Pipes And Water Pipes When Refitting A Bathroom
And Ensuite

Let's try and be helpful, shall we? Compression fittings are acceptable,

for exposed locations (not sure if that is the correct wording) but you
cannot use compression under the floor for example, even if it would be
deemed "accessible". Just to clarify as that doesn't appear to be an issue
here.

Under the floor would required a soldered joint. Not sure about behind
cabinets though.

so is a suitably rated tap. You obviously know there is a special,
thicker PTFE tape for use with gas. You can't charge anyone unless you
are registered. You *can* DIY in this country if you are competent, but
that isn't defined. So if you did blow someone up or burn the house down
you could end up in court, or arguing with an insurance company. So it's
not a risk to be taken lightly. OTOH from what you are saying it
*sounds* like a straightforward job. You probably need to include a pipe
clip or two. To comply with current regs you must not use a flexible
hose. You should check your joints afterwards at least with a bubble
spray, and you must do a "pressure drop" test which would normally be at
the meter. I think there are instructions for this on the DIY wiki.

As someone else mentioned, it is worth double checking that 15mm over the
length of the run accounting for the bends and other users of gas will
supply the OP's new hob - or be prepared to do a pressure test at/near the
hob whilst all burners are running as well as any other gas burning
appliances.

You also have to factor in whether the 15mm tees off the main gas pipe that
then goes on to feed a say, massively uprated boiler (ie the boiler is
pulling a high flow of gas and dropping the pressure at the tee off point)
because then you're on a losing streak before starting.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2012 22:31, Alan wrote:
In message , geoff
wrote

gas fitting is not for retards

Not these days with plastic pipe and push fit connectors.

Any retard knows you aren't allowed plastic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil
writes
On 10/07/2012 22:31, Alan wrote:
In message , geoff
wrote

gas fitting is not for retards

Not these days with plastic pipe and push fit connectors.

Any retard knows you aren't allowed plastic.

I'm not sure how to describe the guy who was fitting a new kitchen for a
friend of mine then.

I was clearing the old units out for her while he was preparing the new
ones. A gas pipe needed removing and capping off, which I was quite
competent to do. I commented that I would need to nip out and find a
15mm stop end. He handed me a plastic push fit one, which he swore
blind was more than adequate.................

I didn't use it .

His plastic waste work was cr@p too, it all needed replacing before the
customer was happy with the install.

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Alan
writes
In message , geoff
wrote

gas fitting is not for retards

Not these days with plastic pipe and push fit connectors.

.... And hacksaws

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
In message , Phil
writes
On 10/07/2012 22:31, Alan wrote:
In message , geoff
wrote

gas fitting is not for retards

Not these days with plastic pipe and push fit connectors.

Any retard knows you aren't allowed plastic.

I'm not sure how to describe the guy who was fitting a new kitchen for
a friend of mine then.

I was clearing the old units out for her while he was preparing the new
ones. A gas pipe needed removing and capping off, which I was quite
competent to do. I commented that I would need to nip out and find a
15mm stop end. He handed me a plastic push fit one, which he swore
blind was more than adequate.................

I didn't use it .

His plastic waste work was cr@p too, it all needed replacing before the
customer was happy with the install.

When my brother moved in to his last house, the cooker was plumbed in
using garden hose

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2012 09:33, Tim Watts wrote:
newshound wrote:

[...]

gas is nominally supplied at 20mbar pressure at the gas meter. With all
gas appliances going at full pelt, you are only allowed a pressure drop
of no more than 1mbar to meet gas regs.

You have to size the pipework adequately to keep this pressure drop to
less than 1mbar, taking into account the pipe lengths, the nominal gas
flow rate required by each appliance and that the total demand of all
gas appliances does not exceed the maximum demand that the gas meter can
supply. For most domestic properties, this is around 60kW.

in my case I have just two gas appliances. a 38kW combi boiler and a 8
ring gas hob.

The pipework from the meter starts off as 28mm for 4 metres, then drops
to 22mm for another 4m (to avoid weakening the joists too much as you
can only hack up to 1/8 of the total depth out) , then a 22mm tee, then
an 8 metre run in 22mm to the boiler, and a 8m run of 22mm to the gas hob.

If there had been excessive pressure drop, the gas man could have ended
up moving the Tee back to the 28mm pipe, changing it to a 28mm Tee, then
using 28 to 22mm reducers and then two seperate runs of 22m m pipes to
the hob and boiler.

Thanks to diversity, I am highly unlikely to have *all* eight rings of
the hob on simultaneously and have the Combi boiler running at full
pelt. SO I have a comfortable pressure drop margin thanks to the gas man
for catering for the worst case scenario.

Incidentally, the manual for the boiler I have stipulates that all gas
pipe to the boiler must be in 22mm or greater except for the last final
metre before the boiler gas connection. In my case, its 22mm all the way.

I would imagine cooker hobs/ovens would have similar criteria. in any
case, its also 22mm all the way to the gas hob in case I decide to
change the electric double oven to a double gas oven so I don't have to
rip out the gas pipes to uprate them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2012 13:35, Phil wrote:
On 10/07/2012 22:31, Alan wrote:
In message , geoff
wrote

gas fitting is not for retards

Not these days with plastic pipe and push fit connectors.

Any retard knows you aren't allowed plastic.

plastic (HDPE) is allowed for gas outside only, and it must be yellow.
all piping inside a building must be in metal, copper or steel. thats
the gas regulations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PAUL DALBY wrote:
I Am Refitting My Kitchen And Need To Extend The 15mm Copper Gas Pipe
By About 12" To Fit The New Gas Hob. Can I Turn The Gas Off At The
Mains And Then Extend The Pipe Using A Straight 15mm Compression
Connector Or Isolator Valve With Ptfe Tape(gas) On The Threads. I Have
Fitted Central Heating Pipes And Water Pipes When Refitting A Bathroom
And Ensuite

Use flare fittings they would be legal in most countries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stephen H
writes
On 11/07/2012 13:35, Phil wrote:
On 10/07/2012 22:31, Alan wrote:
In message , geoff
wrote

gas fitting is not for retards

Not these days with plastic pipe and push fit connectors.

Any retard knows you aren't allowed plastic.

plastic (HDPE) is allowed for gas outside only, and it must be yellow.
all piping inside a building must be in metal, copper or steel. thats
the gas regulations.

Are you saying that garden hose isn't allowed then ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , Stephen H
writes
On 11/07/2012 13:35, Phil wrote:
On 10/07/2012 22:31, Alan wrote:
In message , geoff
wrote

gas fitting is not for retards

Not these days with plastic pipe and push fit connectors.

Any retard knows you aren't allowed plastic.

plastic (HDPE) is allowed for gas outside only, and it must be yellow.
all piping inside a building must be in metal, copper or steel. thats
the gas regulations.

Are you saying that garden hose isn't allowed then ?

I imagine that it depends on where and when it was installed. Did the
recent hosepipe ban cover its use for gas too?

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
In message , geoff
writes
In message , Stephen H
writes
On 11/07/2012 13:35, Phil wrote:
On 10/07/2012 22:31, Alan wrote:
In message , geoff
wrote

gas fitting is not for retards

Not these days with plastic pipe and push fit connectors.

Any retard knows you aren't allowed plastic.

plastic (HDPE) is allowed for gas outside only, and it must be
yellow. all piping inside a building must be in metal, copper or
steel. thats the gas regulations.

Are you saying that garden hose isn't allowed then ?

I imagine that it depends on where and when it was installed. Did the
recent hosepipe ban cover its use for gas too?

Valid point

--
geoff

Shaft extention update Tom Gardner Metalworking 15 July 20th 08 05:50 PM
Shaft extention Tom Gardner[_2_] Metalworking 11 July 19th 08 02:03 AM
Putting in a doorbell extention barontorc UK diy 20 January 24th 07 12:56 AM
EXTENTION BOXES larry UK diy 2 January 6th 05 12:47 AM
Mini Lathe Bed Extention David Heidary Metalworking 15 July 31st 03 09:35 PM