Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Minimal router body

Hi all,

I'm a big fan of Woodgears.ca, and lots of the machines on there make
use of a minimal router which isn't much more than a motor with a
collet (e.g., http://woodgears.ca/router_lift/hose_clamp_fit-b.jpg). I
can't find where to buy one of these though. I'm probably using the
wrong search term, and I've not found anything by browsing through
online catalogues either. Or perhaps its just a normal router which
has been stripped of all the extra bits? Any recommendations for
something suitable - 1/2", with variable speed, but without a base,
depth adjustment, and so on.

thanks,

dan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 9, 1:12*pm, dent wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a big fan of Woodgears.ca, and lots of the machines on there make
use of a minimal router which isn't much more than a motor with a
collet (e.g.,http://woodgears.ca/router_lift/hose_clamp_fit-b.jpg). I
can't find where to buy one of these though. I'm probably using the
wrong search term, and I've not found anything by browsing through
online catalogues either. Or perhaps its just a normal router which
has been stripped of all the extra bits? Any recommendations for
something suitable - 1/2", with variable speed, but without a base,
depth adjustment, and so on.

thanks,

dan.

Try `spindle` Kress are big name in ones.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 9, 1:12*pm, dent wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a big fan of Woodgears.ca, and lots of the machines on there make
use of a minimal router which isn't much more than a motor with a
collet (e.g.,http://woodgears.ca/router_lift/hose_clamp_fit-b.jpg). I
can't find where to buy one of these though. I'm probably using the
wrong search term, and I've not found anything by browsing through
online catalogues either. Or perhaps its just a normal router which
has been stripped of all the extra bits? Any recommendations for
something suitable - 1/2", with variable speed, but without a base,
depth adjustment, and so on.

thanks,

dan.

Try this website

http://www.cnc1.eu/en

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 9, 2012 1:12:23 PM UTC+1, dent wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a big fan of Woodgears.ca, and lots of the machines on there make
use of a minimal router which isn't much more than a motor with a
collet (e.g., http://woodgears.ca/router_lift/hose_clamp_fit-b.jpg). I
can't find where to buy one of these though. I'm probably using the
wrong search term, and I've not found anything by browsing through
online catalogues either. Or perhaps its just a normal router which
has been stripped of all the extra bits? Any recommendations for
something suitable - 1/2", with variable speed, but without a base,
depth adjustment, and so on.

thanks,

dan.

The American market favours the fixed base router over the European penchant for plunge routers. Most of these fixed base routers can have the body of the router removed from the fixed base. DeWalt in particular do a small router that comes with both a fixed and a plunge base.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/dewalt-d2...-4-prod847127/

Makita now also have one on the market

http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-rt...er-prod875577/

One of these or one of their bigger brothers may be what you are looking for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 9, 1:12*pm, dent wrote:

I'm a big fan of Woodgears.ca, and lots of the machines on there make
use of a minimal router which isn't much more than a motor with a
collet

Kress. Mail order from German on-line shops, as it seems hard to UK
source them these days.

Some US people like the 1/4" blue Bosch router with the semi-fixed
base. I've got a box of dead ones and shoddy warranty service from
Bosch 8-(
(It seems that if blue Bosch isn't coming from the Scintilla factory
in Switzerland, it's a bit crappy these days)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2012 13:12, dent wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a big fan of Woodgears.ca, and lots of the machines on there make
use of a minimal router which isn't much more than a motor with a
collet (e.g., http://woodgears.ca/router_lift/hose_clamp_fit-b.jpg). I

Looks like a Porter Cable fixed base router...

can't find where to buy one of these though. I'm probably using the
wrong search term, and I've not found anything by browsing through
online catalogues either. Or perhaps its just a normal router which
has been stripped of all the extra bits? Any recommendations for
something suitable - 1/2", with variable speed, but without a base,
depth adjustment, and so on.

Fixed base machines are less common here than in the US but there are a
few about.

The smallest is probably the Bosch:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/bosch-gk...al-palm-p64800

They also do a bigger version supplied with both plunge and fixed bases:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/bosch-gm...n-rout-p148227

Dewalt do a similar one:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/dewalt-d2...0base%20router

If you want a 1/2" how about:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERFORMANC...item3f19b0e200

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2012 19:40, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Jul 9, 1:12 pm, dent wrote:

I'm a big fan of Woodgears.ca, and lots of the machines on there make
use of a minimal router which isn't much more than a motor with a
collet

Kress. Mail order from German on-line shops, as it seems hard to UK
source them these days.

Some US people like the 1/4" blue Bosch router with the semi-fixed
base. I've got a box of dead ones and shoddy warranty service from
Bosch 8-(

I really like my small Bosch (GOF 600)... but then again, mine has not
broken yet ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 11:40:48 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Jul 9, 1:12*pm, dent wrote:

I'm a big fan of Woodgears.ca, and lots of the machines on there make
use of a minimal router which isn't much more than a motor with a
collet

Kress. Mail order from German on-line shops, as it seems hard to UK
source them these days.

http://www.worldofcnc.com/kress-c-350.html

http://www.cnc4you.co.uk/index.php?r...tegory&path=24

http://www.damencnc.com/en/tools/kre...-milling-motor

Are the German on line stores cheaper, I can't find any.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 9, 2012 8:44:15 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/07/2012 19:40, Andy Dingley wrote:
> On Jul 9, 1:12 pm, dent > wrote:
>
>> I'm a big fan of Woodgears.ca, and lots of the machines on there make
>> use of a minimal router which isn't much more than a motor with a
>> collet
>
> Kress. Mail order from German on-line shops, as it seems hard to UK
> source them these days.
>
> Some US people like the 1/4" blue Bosch router with the semi-fixed
> base. I've got a box of dead ones and shoddy warranty service from
> Bosch 8-(

I really like my small Bosch (GOF 600)... but then again, mine has not
broken yet ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Don't really like my GOF 600. Depth setting is ridiculously hit and miss and the rigmarole of using a bushing is very tedious also. I could not imagine it being used as a trim router unless one had lots of patience.

Having said all that I find blue Bosch to be very reliable and the only run in I ever had with a prick in their service department was quickly resolve with an email to Germany
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2012 10:55, fred wrote:
On Monday, July 9, 2012 8:44:15 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

I really like my small Bosch (GOF 600)... but then again, mine has
not broken yet ;-)

In fact correction - mine is a GKF 600 (same as the version called the
Colt in the US) The GOF series are bigger.

This one:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-bos...it-prod781470/

Don't really like my GOF 600. Depth setting is ridiculously hit and
miss and the rigmarole of using a bushing is very tedious also. I
could not imagine it being used as a trim router unless one had lots
of patience.

using for trimming is where it excels IME. Especially if you stick the
wide translucent baseplate on it with the side knob and the dust cowl.

Height adjustment seems easy enough - open the clip, twist the body to
disengage from the work gear and set the height approximately. Rotate it
back to the geared position and then tweak with the fine height
adjustment. Finally snap the locking clip back when done.

This shows the process nicely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ae-u-ZFbZQ

Having said all that I find blue Bosch to be very reliable and the
only run in I ever had with a prick in their service department was
quickly resolve with an email to Germany

Its the only bit of blue Bosch I have at the mo, so can't really compare.

--
Cheers,

John.