Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 6 AA vs 8 AA

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 20:48:29 +0100, Jake wrote:

I have an electronic GPS datalogging device that is designed to be
powered through a 9v battery. It runs the battery down in about 2 hours,
and because it goes through batteries so quickly, I have been looking
for solutions to make it last longer

I have had success in replacing the 9v battery with a 6 AA battery
holder with attached 9v clip and this powers the device for
significantly longer with 2500 mAh rechargeables giving 7.2v.

I have seen 8 AA battery clips available, that would give me 9.6v but I
am concerned about overvolting and damaging the device. Is the extra
0.6v likely to cause damage?

Put a dummy cell in the 8-pack and get 8.4v. Either buy on (Google) or
DIY with some dowel, a couple of pins and a piece of wire.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 20:34:18 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 20:48:29 +0100, Jake wrote:

I have an electronic GPS datalogging device that is designed to be
powered through a 9v battery. It runs the battery down in about 2
hours, and because it goes through batteries so quickly, I have been
looking for solutions to make it last longer

I have had success in replacing the 9v battery with a 6 AA battery
holder with attached 9v clip and this powers the device for
significantly longer with 2500 mAh rechargeables giving 7.2v.

I have seen 8 AA battery clips available, that would give me 9.6v but I
am concerned about overvolting and damaging the device. Is the extra
0.6v likely to cause damage?

Put a dummy cell in the 8-pack and get 8.4v. Either buy on (Google) or
DIY with some dowel, a couple of pins and a piece of wire.

But don't try and charge it!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2012 21:34, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 20:48:29 +0100, Jake wrote:

I have an electronic GPS datalogging device that is designed to be
powered through a 9v battery. It runs the battery down in about 2 hours,
and because it goes through batteries so quickly, I have been looking
for solutions to make it last longer

I have had success in replacing the 9v battery with a 6 AA battery
holder with attached 9v clip and this powers the device for
significantly longer with 2500 mAh rechargeables giving 7.2v.

I have seen 8 AA battery clips available, that would give me 9.6v but I
am concerned about overvolting and damaging the device. Is the extra
0.6v likely to cause damage?

Put a dummy cell in the 8-pack and get 8.4v. Either buy on (Google) or
DIY with some dowel, a couple of pins and a piece of wire.

A typical silicon diode drops around 0.6V, so a full 8-pack feeding the
logger via such a diode should give a pretty accurate 9V.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SteveW wrote:
On 08/07/2012 21:34, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 20:48:29 +0100, Jake wrote:

I have an electronic GPS datalogging device that is designed to be
powered through a 9v battery. It runs the battery down in about 2 hours,
and because it goes through batteries so quickly, I have been looking
for solutions to make it last longer

I have had success in replacing the 9v battery with a 6 AA battery
holder with attached 9v clip and this powers the device for
significantly longer with 2500 mAh rechargeables giving 7.2v.

I have seen 8 AA battery clips available, that would give me 9.6v but I
am concerned about overvolting and damaging the device. Is the extra
0.6v likely to cause damage?

Put a dummy cell in the 8-pack and get 8.4v. Either buy on (Google) or
DIY with some dowel, a couple of pins and a piece of wire.

A typical silicon diode drops around 0.6V,

not really. at any current it can be up to a volt.

so a full 8-pack feeding the
logger via such a diode should give a pretty accurate 9V.

SteveW

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SteveW wrote:
[...]

The logger can't be taking much current, if it runs for 2 hours on a PP3.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2012 21:17, SteveW wrote:
SteveW wrote:
[...]

What about a zena diode and a transistor to set the voltage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SteveW wrote:
[...]

....and what you get with one hand you are taking away with the other.

It is a bit nonsensical to add in an extra cell for more power and then
throw away most of that additional power dissipating in a diode or any
sort of linear regulator

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SteveW wrote:
[...]

or even a Zenner diode

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 22:42:43 +0100, charles wrote:

What about a zena diode and a transistor to set the voltage.

or even a Zenner diode

or even a zener diode B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2012 01:12, Bob Eager wrote:
What about a zena diode and a transistor to set the voltage.

or even a Zenner diode

Or even a Zener diode.

Zener warrior diode?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
On 10/07/2012 01:12, Bob Eager wrote:
What about a zena diode and a transistor to set the voltage.

or even a Zenner diode

Or even a Zener diode.

Zener warrior diode?

Zena warrior, dude.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 23:10:57 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 22:42:43 +0100, charles wrote:

What about a zena diode and a transistor to set the voltage.

or even a Zenner diode

or even a zener diode B-)

I'll stick with Zena - it's the leather...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

8

I'll stick with Zena - it's the leather...

Isn't it Xena?

Only if you speel traditionally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Jul 2012 08:01:21 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 08:23:09 +0100, PeterC wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 23:10:57 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 22:42:43 +0100, charles wrote:

What about a zena diode and a transistor to set the voltage.

or even a Zenner diode

or even a zener diode B-)

I'll stick with Zena - it's the leather...

Isn't it Xena?

TBH I much prefer Gabrielle.-
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2012 22:42, charles wrote:
SteveW wrote:
[...]

I think i prefer the original

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zener_diode

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Gary
writes
SteveW wrote:
[...]

When the required voltage drop is small, it's rather difficult to use a
simple dropper resistor and shunt zener. You are better off with the
series diode (as suggested), 0.6V per for silicon, 0.2V for germanium
(if you can find one with sufficient current rating).
--
Ian