Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Wimbledon

When I was a lad they used to make the tennis balls for the Wimbledon
Championships in Barnsley.

And they used to give the away free to local schools.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Jul 8, 2:36*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
When I was a lad they used to make the tennis balls for the Wimbledon
Championships in Barnsley.

And they used to give the away free to local schools.

I'd be interested in knowing a bit more about how they are (or were)
made.

When I lived in Cambridge I played a little Real (Royal) Tennis at one
of the clubs there. The balls for this have cork cores and are made by
hand at the club. They collect the cork from old wine bottles, cut
them into ~1/4" cubes, then assemble them into a sphere & sew them
into casings, of a similar shape but rather smaller than the familiar
'figure of eight' casings of tennis balls.

Real Tennis has a poncy image, and I'm sure there is a lot of
associated snobbery, but it's actually a pretty good game. You
wouldn't want to be hit by one of those balls going at 100mph ...

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote:

When I was a lad they used to make the tennis balls for the Wimbledon
Championships in Barnsley.

I'd be interested in knowing a bit more about how they are (or were)
made.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/vide...lls-made-video

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
When I was a lad they used to make the tennis balls for the Wimbledon
Championships in Barnsley.

And they used to give the away free to local schools.

I put an aerial on the roof of the factory. Doncaster Road I think.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 14:36:40 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

When I was a lad they used to make the tennis balls for the Wimbledon
Championships in Barnsley.

And they used to give the away free to local schools.

If you knew someone who knew someone who worked there you got slight
seconds Dunlop tennis rackets dirt cheap and enough tennis balls to
lose one in every hedge and rainwater gutter in the street. Of course
back then all the tennis rackets were wood so the defects were minor
things like a bit of varnish that had run or wonky pinstriping

The Sports Turf Research Institute in Bingley is also providing a lot
of assistance to Wimbledon to ensure the quality of the playing
surface and also in getting it back to normal in less than three
weeks.

If it hadn't been for the beer, and the mines, and the mills, and the
steelworks Yorkshire should have been a hotspot for tennis talent.
Rumours are this lass came from Wath.

http://postersdesign.net/wp-content/...irl-Poster.jpg