Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Communication wiring for a new house

I'll soon be wiring a new house, and I want to install some
communication cabling at the same time. It's a small two-bedroomed
house, which will be rented out when it's complete, so I'm not looking
to do anything exotic or complex.

I'm thinking about TV, network and telephone. My thoughts a

1. TV

Standard 75 ohm coax from the loft to a socket in the living room.

I've not used TV for ages, so I assume the new digital TV still uses
the same cable and connectors as the old analog TV from 20+ years ago.
Or have they finally replaced those horrible belling-lee connectors
with something better?

2. Network

CAT 5e from RJ45 sockets bedrooms and living room to a multi-way
socket in one of the bedrooms.

3. Telephone

Might as well use CAT 5e for this as well I guess, to avoid getting a
seperate reel of telephone grade cable.

Can I install a BT master socket and just leave it to BT to connect
the A/B pair, or are only BT allowed to do that?

Is it actually worth installing telephone, or does everyone just use
mobiles or VOIP now?

Any thoughts or pointers to guides Etc. would be welcome.

I'm looking for anything that would be seen as standard or desirable
in a small new build house without adding too much complexity. Bearing
in mind that cabling is dead easy at the moment because the
plasterboard isn't up yet.