Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New "keeper" for UPVC door

I think that the right term anyway. It's the vertical bit of metal that
the door bolt hooks behind to hold the door shut. Mine has fractured off.
(It seems to be made of cast metal).

You can see in this picture where it ought to be.
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...k/4f997a3f.jpg

What are the chances of finding a replacement when I've no idea what make
the door (or latching mechanism) is?

Are they fairly generic? I suspect not.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 26, 8:24*pm, Tim wrote:
I think that the right term anyway. *It's the vertical bit of metal that
the door bolt hooks behind to hold the door shut. *Mine has fractured off.
(It seems to be made of cast metal).

You can see in this picture where it ought to be.http://i1052.photobucket..com/albums...k/4f997a3f.jpg

What are the chances of finding a replacement when I've no idea what make
the door (or latching mechanism) is?

Are they fairly generic? I suspect not.

Tim

Somewhere on the strip of metal that runs up the edge of the door
(between the lock in the middle and the hooks at top and bottom), you
should find a name or logo.

Google for "UPVC door keep", click on a site that sells them and you
should then be able to identify the manufacturer/compatibility.

Then head over to ebay and see if you can find it cheaper.

I replaced mine a few months ago and the new version (which looks like
the pic you posted) looked nothing like the original two-part brass-
coloured affair, but it works fine.

Got mine from this ebay seller but there are several others:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/nigel-waters-hardware-ltd

HTH.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
On Jun 26, 8:24 pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Took a bit of finding but I now know the brand and have located
spares.

Tim