Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multimeter fuses

My multimeter has stopped measuring things on the 200mA current range.
Turns out the fuse is blown. It's a chunky 1A ultra fast acting ceramic
number - size is 10x35mm. I had a look around and the cheapest is about 7
quid. This is rather galling because these fuses are easy to blow... one
slip with the meter probes onto a voltage line and the fuse is toast.

Normal 20mm quick blow fuses are about 20p, and looking at the spec there
doesn't seem to be much difference in terms of blow times. I could always
derate - eg use 500mA instead of 1A. The 'official' fuses are 600Vac and
the cheap ones 250Vac... but I'm hardly likely to be using them on 3-phase.
So anyone see any problems with substituting a cheap fuse? Or have a
cheaper source of the 'official' fuses?

Cheers,
Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:

My multimeter has stopped measuring things on the 200mA current range.
Turns out the fuse is blown. It's a chunky 1A ultra fast acting ceramic
number - size is 10x35mm. I had a look around and the cheapest is about 7
quid. This is rather galling because these fuses are easy to blow... one
slip with the meter probes onto a voltage line and the fuse is toast.

Normal 20mm quick blow fuses are about 20p, and looking at the spec there
doesn't seem to be much difference in terms of blow times. I could
always derate - eg use 500mA instead of 1A. The 'official' fuses are
600Vac and the cheap ones 250Vac... but I'm hardly likely to be using
them on 3-phase. So anyone see any problems with substituting a cheap
fuse? Or have a cheaper source of the 'official' fuses?

CPC have some "multimeter fuses" - 1A are £2.95 +vat

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 23, 1:40*pm, Theo Markettos
wrote:
My multimeter has stopped measuring things on the 200mA current range.
Turns out the fuse is blown. *It's a chunky 1A ultra fast acting ceramic
number - size is 10x35mm. *I had a look around and the cheapest is about 7
quid. *This is rather galling because these fuses are easy to blow... *one
slip with the meter probes onto a voltage line and the fuse is toast.

Normal 20mm quick blow fuses are about 20p, and looking at the spec there
doesn't seem to be much difference in terms of blow times. *I could always
derate - eg use 500mA instead of 1A. *The 'official' fuses are 600Vac and
the cheap ones 250Vac... *but I'm hardly likely to be using them on 3-phase.
So anyone see any problems with substituting a cheap fuse? *Or have a
cheaper source of the 'official' fuses?

Cheers,
Theo

Likely the original is a High Rupture Current variety meant to safely
open even with a the surge of shorted low impedance mains, a cheaper
fuse may not open fast enough or might just weld or fail in in non
passive manner...

This article changed my view of multimeters for ever:

http://ecmweb.com/arc-flash/case-deadly-arc-flash

For high voltage, 50V a test stick , not a neon `mains tester` or a
multimeter with Fluke written on it with fused test leads.

Have a pile of cheap meters that are great for low voltage use only.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
My multimeter has stopped measuring things on the 200mA current range.
Turns out the fuse is blown. It's a chunky 1A ultra fast acting ceramic
number - size is 10x35mm. I had a look around and the cheapest is about
7 quid. This is rather galling because these fuses are easy to blow...
one slip with the meter probes onto a voltage line and the fuse is toast.

Well, yes. The meter in current mode presents near enough a dead short,
hence the fuse.

My Fluke does its best by reading 'leads' when you swap from current to
voltage. But I've still managed to blow their V expensive fuse.

Normal 20mm quick blow fuses are about 20p, and looking at the spec
there doesn't seem to be much difference in terms of blow times. I
could always derate - eg use 500mA instead of 1A. The 'official' fuses
are 600Vac and the cheap ones 250Vac... but I'm hardly likely to be
using them on 3-phase. So anyone see any problems with substituting a
cheap fuse? Or have a cheaper source of the 'official' fuses?

Cheaper meters do use standard fuses. Not sure if in practice this would
make it more likely to damage one which uses the expensive kind. But it
might be an expensive try out.

--
*Procrastinate now

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
CPC have some "multimeter fuses" - 1A are £2.95 +vat

Thanks, these look more sensibly priced:
http://cpc.farnell.com/cooper-bussma...-1a/dp/FF01105

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
My multimeter has stopped measuring things on the 200mA current range.
Turns out the fuse is blown. *It's a chunky 1A ultra fast acting ceramic
number - size is 10x35mm. *I had a look around and the cheapest is about 7
quid. *This is rather galling because these fuses are easy to blow... *one
slip with the meter probes onto a voltage line and the fuse is toast.

Normal 20mm quick blow fuses are about 20p, and looking at the spec there
doesn't seem to be much difference in terms of blow times. *I could always
derate - eg use 500mA instead of 1A. *The 'official' fuses are 600Vac and
the cheap ones 250Vac... *but I'm hardly likely to be using them on 3-phase.
So anyone see any problems with substituting a cheap fuse? *Or have a
cheaper source of the 'official' fuses?

Cheers,
Theo

20mm fuses have very low rupturing current ratings, ruling them out
for a wide range of apps. They'd be no use for this job. The old 1.25"
fuses would be much better suited. Ceramic sand filled ones should be
useed, they have more breaking current than glass ones. A full size 1A
mains fuse might also be an option, though its been years since I saw
one.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

For high voltage, 50V a test stick , not a neon `mains tester` or a
multimeter with Fluke written on it with fused test leads.

Have a pile of cheap meters that are great for low voltage use only.

Being pedantic, Low Voltage is 50v to 1000v AC, Extra Low Voltage is
below 50v AC, and High is above 1000v.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

A full size 1A
mains fuse might also be an option, though its been years since I saw
one.

Available at good electrical distributors/wholesalers/shops.
Had to fit one last week to an extractor fan that said "Must be
protected by a 1A fuse"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
Adam Aglionby wrote:

For high voltage, 50V a test stick , not a neon `mains tester` or a
multimeter with Fluke written on it with fused test leads.

Have a pile of cheap meters that are great for low voltage use only.

Being pedantic, Low Voltage is 50v to 1000v AC, Extra Low Voltage is
below 50v AC, and High is above 1000v.

That’s just one definition of those terms and isnt the commonly used one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
Adam Aglionby wrote:

For high voltage, 50V a test stick , not a neon `mains tester` or a
multimeter with Fluke written on it with fused test leads.

Have a pile of cheap meters that are great for low voltage use only.

Being pedantic, Low Voltage is 50v to 1000v AC, Extra Low Voltage is
below 50v AC, and High is above 1000v.

That's just one definition of those terms and isnt the commonly used one.

For the UK Wiring Regulations, BS7671, it is the only one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Rod Speed wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
Adam Aglionby wrote:

For high voltage, 50V a test stick , not a neon `mains tester` or a
multimeter with Fluke written on it with fused test leads.

Have a pile of cheap meters that are great for low voltage use only.

Being pedantic, Low Voltage is 50v to 1000v AC, Extra Low Voltage is
below 50v AC, and High is above 1000v.

That's just one definition of those terms and isnt the commonly used one.

For the UK Wiring Regulations, BS7671, it is the only one.

But that isnt the only definition used in conversation or usenet etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:
Likely the original is a High Rupture Current variety meant to safely
open even with a the surge of shorted low impedance mains, a cheaper
fuse may not open fast enough or might just weld or fail in in non
passive manner...

Thanks for that. I'd not have considered that putting a zillion amps
through a fuse would cause it to fail in anything other than open circuit,
but high voltages and currents can do strange things (ionisation,
vapourisation, etc).

For high voltage, 50V a test stick , not a neon `mains tester` or a
multimeter with Fluke written on it with fused test leads.

This one /does/ have Fluke written on it. Not that I take it near high
voltage, but I suppose there's a risk that somebody else might.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Rod Speed wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
Adam Aglionby wrote:

For high voltage, 50V a test stick , not a neon `mains tester` or a
multimeter with Fluke written on it with fused test leads.

Have a pile of cheap meters that are great for low voltage use only.

Being pedantic, Low Voltage is 50v to 1000v AC, Extra Low Voltage is
below 50v AC, and High is above 1000v.

That's just one definition of those terms and isnt the commonly used
one.

For the UK Wiring Regulations, BS7671, it is the only one.

But that isnt the only definition used in conversation or usenet etc.

which could be VERY dangerous.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Rod Speed wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
Adam Aglionby wrote:

For high voltage, 50V a test stick , not a neon `mains tester` or
multimeter with Fluke written on it with fused test leads.

Have a pile of cheap meters that are great for low voltage use
only.

Being pedantic, Low Voltage is 50v to 1000v AC, Extra Low Voltage is
below 50v AC, and High is above 1000v.

That's just one definition of those terms and isnt the commonly used
one.

For the UK Wiring Regulations, BS7671, it is the only one.

But that isnt the only definition used in conversation or usenet etc.

which could be VERY dangerous.

Nope, not when its done like the other Adam did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 24, 10:26*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote in message

.. .

Rod Speed wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
. ..
Adam Aglionby wrote:

For high voltage, 50V a test stick , not a neon `mains tester` or a
multimeter with Fluke written on it with fused test leads.

Have a pile of cheap meters that are great for low voltage use only..

Being pedantic, Low Voltage is 50v to 1000v AC, Extra Low Voltage is
below 50v AC, and High is above 1000v.

That's just one definition of those terms and isnt the commonly used one.

For the UK Wiring Regulations, BS7671, it is the only one.

But that isnt the only definition used in conversation or usenet etc.

For some of us, the world is a little bigger than the uk wiring regs.
In fact, rather a lot of us.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Jun 24, 10:26 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote in message

.. .

Rod Speed wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
. ..
Adam Aglionby wrote:

For high voltage, 50V a test stick , not a neon `mains tester` or
multimeter with Fluke written on it with fused test leads.

Have a pile of cheap meters that are great for low voltage use
only.

Being pedantic, Low Voltage is 50v to 1000v AC, Extra Low Voltage is
below 50v AC, and High is above 1000v.

That's just one definition of those terms and isnt the commonly used
one.

For the UK Wiring Regulations, BS7671, it is the only one.

But that isnt the only definition used in conversation or usenet etc.

For some of us, the world is a little bigger than the uk wiring regs.
In fact, rather a lot of us.

And that's just as true of even the IEC wiring regs
definition of commonly used terms like that too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote:
[snip]

Turns out the new neighbours wife is a pole dancer.

I've always liked that. We had a Pole dancing class at school. The girls
got to wear short pointy boots and large smocks with waistcoats.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth adamwadsworth@blue
yonder.co.uk scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:
In article , ARWadsworth
adamwadsworth@blue yonder.co.uk scribeth thus
Rod Speed wrote:
"The Other Mike" wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 11:28:15 +0100, (A.Lee)
wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
Adam Aglionby wrote:

For high voltage, 50V a test stick , not a neon `mains
tester` or a multimeter with Fluke written on it with
fused test leads. Have a pile of cheap meters that are
great for low voltage
use only.

Being pedantic, Low Voltage is 50v to 1000v AC, Extra Low
Voltage is below 50v AC, and High is above 1000v.

That's just one definition of those terms and isnt the
commonly used one.

For the UK Wiring Regulations, BS7671, it is the only one.

and the same voltage ranges are defined by the IEC, so that is
more or less the entire planet apart from the USA

But isnt the way that term is normally used in general
conversation or usenet etc.

Yes. But it does not make it correct.

Never mind that. has the new GF moved in yet and what's she like;?...

Read the "What a bitch" thread. I have already given the details.

Or how's she going to cause damage if she gets moved on and Number 3
takes up residence;?...

Turns out the new neighbours wife is a pole dancer.

Lets open a book to see how long the present incumbent lasts then;-?...

Month at most;?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(A.Lee) wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
Adam Aglionby wrote:

[...]

You know your women then:-) Month is their favourite word. And they do not
have a month they seem to like.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 10:33*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Rod Speed wrote:
"The Other Mike" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 11:28:15 +0100, (A.Lee)
wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Adam Aglionby wrote:

For high voltage, 50V a test stick , not a neon `mains
tester` or a multimeter with Fluke written on it with fused
test leads. Have a pile of cheap meters that are great for low
voltage
use only.

Being pedantic, Low Voltage is 50v to 1000v AC, Extra Low
Voltage is below 50v AC, and High is above 1000v.

That's just one definition of those terms and isnt the commonly
used one.

For the UK Wiring Regulations, BS7671, it is the only one.

and the same voltage ranges are defined by the IEC, so that is more
or less the entire planet apart from the USA

But isnt the way that term is normally used in general conversation or
usenet etc.

Yes. But it does not make it correct.

There is no 'correct' with a term like that in general conversation or
usenet.

Ok should have said Extra Low Voltage, arc flash for those not
familiar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iClXrd50Z8

Cheers
Adam

So much for fuses John Rumm UK diy 3 November 7th 06 12:59 AM
Can I Replace All My Fuses WIth Time Delay Fuses? [email protected] Home Repair 16 October 5th 06 02:55 AM
Hot Fuses.... A_H UK diy 15 December 28th 04 04:07 PM
5 Amp Fuses Stuart UK diy 26 January 15th 04 10:48 PM