Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Priming a water pump ?

Had a loan petrol driven water pump (small Honda unit)

Put pick up hose in water, took screw cap of top of pump ... filled with
water, replace cap ..
Start pump ... what is in the pump spurts out but that is all ...
nothing from pick up hose.

I can't fill hose ... as gravity just makes it drain back out ?

Anybody know correct technique to get these pumping ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 23, 1:08*am, Rick Hughes
wrote:
Had a loan petrol driven water pump (small Honda unit)

Put pick up hose in water, took screw cap of top of pump ... filled with
water, replace cap ..
Start pump ... what is in the pump spurts out but that is all ...
nothing from pick up hose.

I can't fill hose ... as gravity just makes it drain back out ?

Anybody know correct technique to get these pumping ?

Some of these pumps have an exhaust gas driven primer. The ends of the
hose are immersed and the pump started. There is a lever to pull that
generates a vacuum to prime the hose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

Had a loan petrol driven water pump (small Honda unit)

Put pick up hose in water, took screw cap of top of pump ... filled with
water, replace cap ..
Start pump ... what is in the pump spurts out but that is all ... nothing
from pick up hose.

I can't fill hose ... as gravity just makes it drain back out ?

Anybody know correct technique to get these pumping ?

I have what sounds to be the same Honda powered pump. Firstly there should
be a foot valve on the suction hose (incorporating a strainer) that stops
water flowing from the bottom of the pipe. Secondly, yes they can be
difficult to prime, but I've taken to filling the suction hose, then
unscrewing the priming plug and pouring in water from a watering can until
the pump starts gushing water vertically (it can go quite a way !!), then at
arms length screwing the plug back in - yes you will get wet! Excellent
pumps incidentally.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2012 08:36, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

I have what sounds to be the same Honda powered pump. Firstly there
should be a foot valve on the suction hose (incorporating a strainer)
that stops water flowing from the bottom of the pipe. Secondly, yes they
can be difficult to prime, but I've taken to filling the suction hose,
then unscrewing the priming plug and pouring in water from a watering
can until the pump starts gushing water vertically (it can go quite a
way !!), then at arms length screwing the plug back in - yes you will
get wet! Excellent pumps incidentally.

no valve on the hose end .. it's just a 1" hose ...

what I have looks like the WX10 model on this web page:
http://www.honda.co.uk/energy/waterpumps/

I'll try filling hose, but it will empty as soon as I put it 'down'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2012 11:14, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 23/06/2012 08:36, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

I have what sounds to be the same Honda powered pump. Firstly there
should be a foot valve on the suction hose (incorporating a strainer)
that stops water flowing from the bottom of the pipe. Secondly, yes they
can be difficult to prime, but I've taken to filling the suction hose,
then unscrewing the priming plug and pouring in water from a watering
can until the pump starts gushing water vertically (it can go quite a
way !!), then at arms length screwing the plug back in - yes you will
get wet! Excellent pumps incidentally.

no valve on the hose end .. it's just a 1" hose ...

what I have looks like the WX10 model on this web page:
http://www.honda.co.uk/energy/waterpumps/

I'll try filling hose, but it will empty as soon as I put it 'down'

Fill both inlet and discharge hoses, then drop both ends in the water,
start-up and then move the discharge hose?

Really you need to get a foot valve. Machinemart
(http://www.machinemart.co.uk) stock them and they only cost £3.59.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

On 23/06/2012 08:36, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

I have what sounds to be the same Honda powered pump. Firstly there
should be a foot valve on the suction hose (incorporating a strainer)
that stops water flowing from the bottom of the pipe. Secondly, yes they
can be difficult to prime, but I've taken to filling the suction hose,
then unscrewing the priming plug and pouring in water from a watering
can until the pump starts gushing water vertically (it can go quite a
way !!), then at arms length screwing the plug back in - yes you will
get wet! Excellent pumps incidentally.

no valve on the hose end .. it's just a 1" hose ...

what I have looks like the WX10 model on this web page:
http://www.honda.co.uk/energy/waterpumps/

I'll try filling hose, but it will empty as soon as I put it 'down'

...well get a foot valve Dear Liza Dear Liza - get a foot valve !!!!!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2012 15:32, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I'll try filling hose, but it will empty as soon as I put it 'down'

..well get a foot valve Dear Liza Dear Liza - get a foot valve !!!!!

AWEM

Not my pump ... it goes back Monday morning

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2012 12:23, SteveW wrote:
?

Really you need to get a foot valve. Machinemart
(http://www.machinemart.co.uk) stock them and they only cost £3.59.

SteveW

I just looked at Machine Mart ... the foot valve says all it does is act
as strainer ? .... it won't help at all with teh fact the damn thing
won't prime.

I managed to get it sucking by having a bucket of water above pump level
and filling hose first ... but as soon as I lower to lower than pump it
stops sucking.

After 2 Hrs ,, gave up trying to get it to work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
The (essential!) foot valve has a ping pong ball thingy that falls onto a
sealing ring but when it rises is trapped by a cage that lets the water

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2012 19:49, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 23/06/2012 12:23, SteveW wrote:
?

Really you need to get a foot valve. Machinemart
(http://www.machinemart.co.uk) stock them and they only cost £3.59.

SteveW

I just looked at Machine Mart ... the foot valve says all it does is act
as strainer ? .... it won't help at all with teh fact the damn thing
won't prime.

Sorry about that. It appears that Machine Mart's website is wrong. When
looking at "more info" it does seem to suggest just a strainer; however
I only read the level above, where it reads "A 1" diameter foot valve
and filter" - which definitely implied that it was the full item!

I managed to get it sucking by having a bucket of water above pump level
and filling hose first ... but as soon as I lower to lower than pump it
stops sucking.

After 2 Hrs ,, gave up trying to get it to work

You will still need a foot valve to get it working.

SteveW