Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remote access softwa comments/recommendations?

[Posted and mailed]

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Surely one can tell which is the latest by its date and time stamp, then
just use dropbox as a single point stor on both machines. The problem of
course is that if both people edit the file locally then the one who saved
it last is the one on both machines.

No; both versions will exist on both machines, but one of them will have
"conflicted copy" appended to its name.

There are some other types of conflict that can happen too, especially if
you have Dropbox folders on different OSes, eg Linux & Windows - see details
at: https://www.dropbox.com/help/145

One of the things I dislike about Dropbox is that the desktop client doesn't
warn you if conflicted copies of files exist, so every week or two I run a
search of my Dropbox folder (which has about 150,000 files in it) looking
for any file which has "conflic" in its name; usually the only thing I find
is the search-utility's saved search-criteria file, which has a meaningful
name that also includes "conflicted"...

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts :
I run a
search of my Dropbox folder (which has about 150,000 files in it) looking
for any file which has "conflic" in its name; usually the only thing I find
is the search-utility's saved search-criteria file, which has a meaningful
name that also includes "conflicted"...

That's good - gives you some confidence that the search is working.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

That's good - gives you some confidence that the search is working.

Indeed.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".