Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default NC batteries

I was fast asleep when these came up for discussion....

My problem is the alarm system for my daughter's dead 1997 VW Golf GTi
contains 5 AA size cells soldered in series.

The installed cells are Varta NC 2000. Naturally Varta no longer admit
to such an item or any specification.

Is a replacement available? The charger forms part of the alarm circuit
and I have no idea of it's intelligence level but assume it would never
understand NiMh.

Any thoughts?

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 20:07:59 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

The installed cells are Varta NC 2000. Naturally Varta no longer admit
to such an item or any specification.

Is a replacement available? The charger forms part of the alarm circuit
and I have no idea of it's intelligence level but assume it would never
understand NiMh.

www.component-shop.co.uk

He'll make you a custom pack if he has any NiCds left.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
I was fast asleep when these came up for discussion....

My problem is the alarm system for my daughter's dead 1997 VW Golf GTi
contains 5 AA size cells soldered in series.

The installed cells are Varta NC 2000. Naturally Varta no longer admit
to such an item or any specification.

Is a replacement available? The charger forms part of the alarm circuit
and I have no idea of it's intelligence level but assume it would never
understand NiMh.

Any thoughts?

Hmm Thats a standard RC nicad size.. I THINK they are still available.

The sanyo KR 1000 cells are VERY good indeed.. only 1000mAh but that's
all you can get in NiCd - for 2000mAh you need NiMh so if the 2000 is
capacity, they ARE NiMh.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 15, 10:37*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
I was fast asleep when these came up for discussion....

My problem is the alarm system for my daughter's dead 1997 VW Golf GTi
contains 5 AA size cells soldered in series.

The installed cells are Varta NC 2000. Naturally Varta no longer admit
to such an item or any specification.

Is a replacement available? The charger forms part of the alarm circuit
and I have no idea of it's intelligence level but assume it would never
understand NiMh.

Any thoughts?

Hmm Thats a standard RC nicad size.. I THINK they are still available.

The sanyo KR 1000 cells are VERY good indeed.. only 1000mAh but that's
all you can get in NiCd - for 2000mAh you need NiMh so if the 2000 is
capacity, they ARE NiMh.

Old low capacity nicads are still rattling around in drawers, any on
ebay?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
I was fast asleep when these came up for discussion....
My problem is the alarm system for my daughter's dead 1997 VW Golf
GTi contains 5 AA size cells soldered in series.
The installed cells are Varta NC 2000. Naturally Varta no longer
admit to such an item or any specification.
Is a replacement available? The charger forms part of the alarm
circuit and I have no idea of it's intelligence level but assume it
would never understand NiMh.
Any thoughts?

Hmm Thats a standard RC nicad size.. I THINK they are still available.

The sanyo KR 1000 cells are VERY good indeed.. only 1000mAh but that's
all you can get in NiCd - for 2000mAh you need NiMh so if the 2000 is
capacity, they ARE NiMh.

Clearly says Ni-Cd on the cases. I guess the lower capacity would simply
reduce the time an alarm sounder would run. My problem is persuading the
engine management system that the alarm is not triggered so they might
do.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, NT
writes
wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
I was fast asleep when these came up for discussion....

My problem is the alarm system for my daughter's dead 1997 VW Golf GTi
contains 5 AA size cells soldered in series.

The installed cells are Varta NC 2000. Naturally Varta no longer admit
to such an item or any specification.

Is a replacement available? The charger forms part of the alarm circuit
and I have no idea of it's intelligence level but assume it would never
understand NiMh.

Any thoughts?

Hmm Thats a standard RC nicad size.. I THINK they are still available.

The sanyo KR 1000 cells are VERY good indeed.. only 1000mAh but that's
all you can get in NiCd - for 2000mAh you need NiMh so if the 2000 is
capacity, they ARE NiMh.

Old low capacity nicads are still rattling around in drawers, any on
ebay?

I tried one search but found no Ni-Cd sellers. I'll try different
wording.

I have some dead power tool batteries which might still have some
working cells.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

IIR the early Golf was factory fitted with a Gemini alarm unit but in the
late 90's they used Cobra,both consisted of volts drop sensors via the
courtesy light and sonic "air " sensors along with Ignition cut out and
indicator flashers. The Gemini system is 3 part; control unit inner bulkhead
,air sensors behind radio and sounder under bonnet whilst the Cobra was a
single encapsulated unit under the bonnet both had 6V Nicad packs as you
describe used primarily to run the sounder in case of 12v failure.
If you get really stuck repost and I will rummage through my old car gear
for a pack but it may be as bad as yours.I do have 2 6 stick sets you can
have if you want to butcher 1 cell out.
Let me know but am going on jollies in 12hrs be back next week.
CJ

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

I was fast asleep when these came up for discussion....

My problem is the alarm system for my daughter's dead 1997 VW Golf GTi
contains 5 AA size cells soldered in series.

The installed cells are Varta NC 2000. Naturally Varta no longer admit
to such an item or any specification.

Is a replacement available? The charger forms part of the alarm circuit
and I have no idea of it's intelligence level but assume it would never
understand NiMh.

Any thoughts?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 16, 12:02*am, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
, NT
writes

wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

I cant remember whether NiMH can be left on very low current charge
indefinitely, all other battery types can. If so, just reducing charge
rate to a very low level might permit NiMH use

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

OK a google suggests its actually a 260mAh part - its an NC-2000 260.

regards

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
, NT
writes
wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

Not AA
Get those Sanyos. Use plumbers flux and a BIG hot iron to solder em.

regards

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

Its not wise to use NiMh in legacy kit. Its is - apart from higher
capacity and not being so poisonous, inferior to NiCd.

Its loses capacity more quickly, it self discharges badly and its very
intolerant of being flattened.

NT

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

The low self discharge versions like the eneloop dont.

and its very intolerant of being flattened.

Wrong again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 16, 3:00*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in ...

wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

The problem with using nimh in old nicd kit is they dont tolerate
quick charging without delta v detection, whereas nicd does. What I
suggested was sidestepping this issue by slowing the charge rate way
down.

NiMH self discharge shouldn't be an issue in car equipment.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

In that case why not get some poundland AAAs, up the charging
resistance and try it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Jun 16, 12:02 am, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
NT
writes

wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

Sure, but I wasn’t commenting on replacing nicads, I was just
commenting on his stupid claims about nimh being worse than nicads.

What I suggested was sidestepping this issue by slowing the charge rate
way
down.

NiMH self discharge shouldn't be an issue in car equipment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

Surely VW must have a buyable fix for the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
NT writes
wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

Physical size not much of an issue as these are just wrapped together in
heat shrink plastic and cable tied to the cct. board.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, NT
writes
OK a google suggests its actually a 260mAh part - its an NC-2000 260.

regards

In that case why not get some poundland AAAs, up the charging
resistance and try it.

Umm.. I am trying to avoid having to decipher the circuit board. I gave
up playing with transistors in 1972! There are 10 switching trannies and
4 big jobs on heat sinks. At least these are discrete devices so it
could be done.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , CJ
writes
IIR the early Golf was factory fitted with a Gemini alarm unit but in
the late 90's they used Cobra,both consisted of volts drop sensors via
the courtesy light and sonic "air " sensors along with Ignition cut
out and indicator flashers. The Gemini system is 3 part; control unit
inner bulkhead ,air sensors behind radio and sounder under bonnet
whilst the Cobra was a single encapsulated unit under the bonnet both
had 6V Nicad packs as you describe used primarily to run the sounder in
case of 12v failure.
If you get really stuck repost and I will rummage through my old car
gear for a pack but it may be as bad as yours.I do have 2 6 stick sets
you can have if you want to butcher 1 cell out.
Let me know but am going on jollies in 12hrs be back next week.

No busting rush as it has sat on my desk for 18 months:-) I have to move
the car out of the barn to create space for the local horticultural
society annual BBQ in early July and driving it out rather than pushing
is tempting. Enjoy your break.

There is an override switch which looks defeatable if one knew what it
did.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

a new alarm system I expect
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
I was fast asleep when these came up for discussion....

My problem is the alarm system for my daughter's dead 1997 VW Golf GTi
contains 5 AA size cells soldered in series.

The installed cells are Varta NC 2000. Naturally Varta no longer admit
to such an item or any specification.

Is a replacement available? The charger forms part of the alarm circuit
and I have no idea of it's intelligence level but assume it would never
understand NiMh.

Unless they are being fast charged - unlikely with this sort of thing -
NiMH will replace NiCad ok.

--
*You can't teach an old mouse new clicks *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, NT
writes

OK a google suggests its actually a 260mAh part - its an NC-2000 260.

regards

In that case why not get some poundland AAAs, up the charging
resistance and try it.

Surely VW must have a buyable fix for the problem.

a new alarm system I expect

There is a *repair service* but the likely cost is a large fraction of
the car value. These 2L Gti 's fail to sell on e-bay at less than £500.
I think the insurance cost has killed the market.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
NT writes
wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

in which case go to a model shop and see if they have a 6v nicad pack
for a model plane or car.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Get those Sanyos. Use plumbers flux and a BIG hot iron to solder em.

Physical size not much of an issue as these are just wrapped
together in heat shrink plastic and cable tied to the cct. board.
regards

in which case go to a model shop and see if they have a 6v nicad pack
for a model plane or car.

Yes.

Does Hertfordshire have one?

There used to be one in Hatfield Road, St. Albans but long gone now.

I'll have a dig around.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

Wont necessarily cost that much if its from Brazil etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Get those Sanyos. Use plumbers flux and a BIG hot iron to solder em.
Physical size not much of an issue as these are just wrapped
together in heat shrink plastic and cable tied to the cct. board.
regards

in which case go to a model shop and see if they have a 6v nicad pack
for a model plane or car.

Yes.

Does Hertfordshire have one?

There used to be one in Hatfield Road, St. Albans but long gone now.

I'll have a dig around.

Ah yes. Hobby Stores, Enfield. Must have the slowest site in the world.
6V, 700mAh £9.99 ordered.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
and its very
intolerant of being flattened.

Like our cat was.

Bill

only Ni-Mh batteries, a better man than I john gurney UK diy 52 December 5th 10 12:18 PM
Car Batteries Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 49 February 3rd 08 04:07 AM
AA Batteries Sir Psycho Electronics 9 May 16th 06 11:39 PM
Batteries David Lang UK diy 15 August 1st 05 08:24 AM
14.4v batteries David Lang UK diy 4 July 16th 05 12:35 PM