Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Very imaginative use for a Pi

and a handful of other microsystems:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06...erry_pi_drone/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

and a handful of other microsystems:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06...erry_pi_drone/

Seen that done already. Gyros plus GPS is all you need to send a model a
few miles and then return.

Or in one case, a few miles and then be landed by a pilot in a car
randomly chasing it down lanes..

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

and a handful of other microsystems:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06...erry_pi_drone/

Seen that done already. Gyros plus GPS is all you need to send a model a
few miles and then return.

Or in one case, a few miles and then be landed by a pilot in a car
randomly chasing it down lanes..

Indeed, but its the autonomous waypoint flying and the image analysis
that makes this rather cute... Self landing is also quite nifty.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 23:26:29 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06...erry_pi_drone/

Seen that done already. Gyros plus GPS is all you need to send a

model
a few miles and then return.

Indeed, but its the autonomous waypoint flying and the image analysis
that makes this rather cute... Self landing is also quite nifty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18415601

Hum...

But it does look like it might actually be useful.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 13, 12:39*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Was there not a plan for using an I phone for this?

This seems a lot cheaper.
*Brian

Your perhaps thinking of multicoptor, a.r. drone, parrot type multi
rotor helicopter type things.

*graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
Email:

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in ...

John Rumm wrote:

and a handful of other microsystems:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06...erry_pi_drone/

Seen that done already. Gyros plus GPS is all you need to send a model a
few miles and then return.

Or in one case, a few miles and then be landed by a pilot in a car
randomly chasing it down lanes..

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2012 01:02, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Jun 13, 12:39 am, "Brian wrote:
Was there not a plan for using an I phone for this?

This seems a lot cheaper.
Brian

Your perhaps thinking of multicoptor, a.r. drone, parrot type multi
rotor helicopter type things.

Plenty of things out there will let you fly them by remote control using
a smart phone... this application is rather different in that it does
all its own flying - you just plan where you want it to look. Much more
like some military drones in that respect.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

Your perhaps thinking of multicoptor, a.r. drone, parrot type multi
rotor helicopter type things.

Plenty of things out there will let you fly them by remote control using a
smart phone... this application is rather different in that it does all
its own flying - you just plan where you want it to look. Much more like
some military drones in that respect.

There is open source software and hardware for multicopters that does
automated flights.
I suspect some of the military drones use the software.