Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Who?

Invented bank holidays? That will be the banks then, as they seem to be the
only ones who take the holiday.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Invented bank holidays? That will be the banks then, as they seem to be
the only ones who take the holiday.

Brian

The unemployed take them as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2012 17:48, Brian Gaff wrote:
Invented bank holidays?

Sir John Lubbock, who introduced the Bank Holidays Act 1871. Before that
they were simply religious festivals and saints' days observed by the
Bank of England.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2012 18:31, Brian Gaff wrote:
Erm and what did the bank of england worship, Gold and money?

Brian

-- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active "Nightjar"
wrote in message
On 28/05/2012 17:48, Brian Gaff wrote:
Invented bank holidays?

Sir John Lubbock, who introduced the Bank Holidays Act 1871. Before that
they were simply religious festivals and saints' days observed by the Bank
of England.

Colin Bignell

I would have thought that anybody with that basis of worship would stay
open every day, including Sundays.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

But banks do not have to work at all at least not in the olden days.

Corse they did in the days before the idea of banks was accepted.

they made the rules and invented the concept of interest,

Nope, interest was around a long time before banks were.

ie you pay me for making your money grow as long as you don't want it all
back now.

wrote in message
On 28/05/2012 17:48, Brian Gaff wrote:
Invented bank holidays?

Sir John Lubbock, who introduced the Bank Holidays Act 1871. Before
that
they were simply religious festivals and saints' days observed by
the Bank
of England.

Colin Bignell

I would have thought that anybody with that basis of worship would stay
open every day, including Sundays.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 28, 5:48*pm, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Invented bank holidays? That will be the banks then, as they seem to be the
only *ones who take the holiday.

I've never worked anywhere since graduating that didn't give me bank
holidays.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2012 02:40:04 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

Invented bank holidays? That will be the banks then, as they seem

to be
the only *ones who take the holiday.

I've never worked anywhere since graduating that didn't give me bank
holidays.

Lucky you. When I was staff it was expected that we would work bank
holidays if asked. We got credited seven Day's Off In Lieu as
compensation or we could use one of those DOILs to get the BH off,
without having to take any annual leave.

Now freelance work is work...

--
Cheers
Dave.