Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roofing - colourcoat urban, Sarnafil, Alkor Draka 'ALKORPLAN' or Bauder THERMOFOL

We are looking at materials for our shallow pitch roof on our extension.

One suggestion is colourcoat urban from Corus (now Tata) - a metal sheet
system.
Another sugggestion is a membrane/felt.
"Single Ply Roofiing Felt consider either Sarnafil, Alkor Draka 'ALKORPLAN'
or Bauder THERMOFOL"

The felt only goes up to a 20 year guarantee and the metal sheet has a 40
year guarantee if fitted by an acredited installer.

Trying to find out costs at the moment (our original pricing was against a
tile roof with a much steeper pitch) and I wondered if anyone had used any
of these systems and if so what the result was and could any be recommended?

TIA

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We are looking at materials for our shallow pitch roof on our extension.

One suggestion is colourcoat urban from Corus (now Tata) - a metal sheet
system.
Another sugggestion is a membrane/felt.
"Single Ply Roofiing Felt consider either Sarnafil, Alkor Draka 'ALKORPLAN'
or Bauder THERMOFOL"

The felt only goes up to a 20 year guarantee and the metal sheet has a 40
year guarantee if fitted by an acredited installer.

Trying to find out costs at the moment (our original pricing was against a
tile roof with a much steeper pitch) and I wondered if anyone had used any
of these systems and if so what the result was and could any be
recommended?

TIA

Dave R

I used Steadmans Meta-slate although they called it system 2000 when I
bought it 5 years ago to roof my garage/workshop. It still looks good, and
has been no bother.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote

We are looking at materials for our shallow pitch roof on our extension.

One suggestion is colourcoat urban from Corus (now Tata) - a metal sheet
system.

That's the way I'd go myself. In fact it is the way I have gone myself.

Mine isnt colored, because it looks flat from the ground so you cant see it
at all.

Another sugggestion is a membrane/felt.
"Single Ply Roofiing Felt consider either Sarnafil, Alkor Draka
'ALKORPLAN' or Bauder THERMOFOL"

I wouldn't go that route myself, essentially because
it wont last anything like as long and since I built
the house myself, its much more work to use too.

The felt only goes up to a 20 year guarantee and the metal sheet has a 40
year guarantee if fitted by an acredited installer.

I did mine myself 40 years ago now and its still perfect.

You don't need an accredited installer for the metal decking,
its very easy to do. The only thing you need is a bit of common
sense like not leaving any metal swarf on it if you drill it etc.

And you don't normally need to drill it if
the roof is designed properly anyway.

Trying to find out costs at the moment (our original pricing was against a
tile roof with a much steeper pitch) and I wondered if anyone had used any
of these systems

Yes, I have with the metal decking.

and if so what the result was

Perfect, no regrets and its lasted 40 years fine with galvanised steel.

It can be a bit noisy in a hail storm and very heavy rain.

I knew that when I designed it and we don't get that often
enough to matter. The parents who had had their house
built in an area which got much more very heavy rain chose
to have it installed with glass fiber insulation just under the
decking held against the decking with chicken wire and that
does fix the noise problem.

and could any be recommended?

I'd go the metal decking route myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thanks - couple of things.

(1) I can't find anywhere stating the minimum roof slope.
(2) There are bits about touching up the covering to avid corrosion - have
you had to do any of that?

Cheers