Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT ish.Should I?

I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago, I get more
work than I can cope with, so I think it's about time for a price rise.

Check t'interweb it does seem I'm a little too cheap, but like most
small business's I'm nervous about increasing prices in case I lose work
- currently I'm always busy.

I increasingly get people asking "are you sure?" & "is that all?"

Currently; £45 first hour, £20 per hour after, or half day £100, full
day £160.

I'm thinking; £45 first hour, £25 per hour after, or half day £110, full
day £180.

What does the team think?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What does the team think?

Well from the umpteenth reserves (waiting list) I'll venture that (i) I
thought you'd bitten the bullet (or angle grinder?) on this after you
asked last year and (ii) yes of of course - there's nowt such not gone
up since then in London and the SE. You can always give loyal customers
a discount if they sniff loudly.

I stongly suspect that like most such traders you'd probably maximise
your income by not working fulltime. But I do appreciate it is easy for
me to say that when it's not my income at stake.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2012 21:08, Robin wrote:
What does the team think?

Well from the umpteenth reserves (waiting list) I'll venture that (i) I
thought you'd bitten the bullet (or angle grinder?) on this after you
asked last year and (ii) yes of of course - there's nowt such not gone
up since then in London and the SE. You can always give loyal customers
a discount if they sniff loudly.

True enough.

I stongly suspect that like most such traders you'd probably maximise
your income by not working fulltime.

Sorry, didn't understand that bit :-)

But I do appreciate it is easy for
me to say that when it's not my income at stake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago,

I get more work than I can cope with,

Time for unbeliever to make a post:-)

And dave, relax when he does reply. You might learn something.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2012 21:27, ARWadsworth wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago,

I get more work than I can cope with,

Time for unbeliever to make a post:-)

And dave, relax when he does reply. You might learn something.

What? How to become a sad & twisted old ****?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago, I get more
work than I can cope with, so I think it's about time for a price rise.

Check t'interweb it does seem I'm a little too cheap, but like most small
business's I'm nervous about increasing prices in case I lose work -
currently I'm always busy.

I increasingly get people asking "are you sure?" & "is that all?"

Currently; £45 first hour, £20 per hour after, or half day £100, full day
£160.

I'm thinking; £45 first hour, £25 per hour after, or half day £110, full
day £180.

What does the team think?

Have you not asked the same question here before?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2012 21:31, Mr Pounder wrote:
"The Medway wrote in message
I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago, I get more
work than I can cope with, so I think it's about time for a price rise.

Check t'interweb it does seem I'm a little too cheap, but like most small
business's I'm nervous about increasing prices in case I lose work -
currently I'm always busy.

I increasingly get people asking "are you sure?"& "is that all?"

Currently; £45 first hour, £20 per hour after, or half day £100, full day
£160.

I'm thinking; £45 first hour, £25 per hour after, or half day £110, full
day £180.

What does the team think?

Have you not asked the same question here before?

Probably - but I did nothing about it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2012 8:23 a.m., The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 22/05/2012 21:08, Robin wrote:
What does the team think?

Well from the umpteenth reserves (waiting list) I'll venture that (i) I
thought you'd bitten the bullet (or angle grinder?) on this after you
asked last year and (ii) yes of of course - there's nowt such not gone
up since then in London and the SE. You can always give loyal customers
a discount if they sniff loudly.

True enough.

I stongly suspect that like most such traders you'd probably maximise
your income by not working fulltime.

Sorry, didn't understand that bit :-)

I think he means the following. As you increase your rate the number of
jobs you get decreases. Your income is the product of rate and number
of jobs. This will be a maximum at some rate. (Obviously it will be
zero if the rate is either zero or a very large number). He is
suggesting that the maximum income will occur at a rate that leads to a
less-than-fulltime number of jobs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago, I get more
work than I can cope with, so I think it's about time for a price rise.

Check t'interweb it does seem I'm a little too cheap, but like most
small business's I'm nervous about increasing prices in case I lose work
- currently I'm always busy.

I increasingly get people asking "are you sure?" & "is that all?"

Currently; £45 first hour, £20 per hour after, or half day £100, full
day £160.

I'm thinking; £45 first hour, £25 per hour after, or half day £110, full
day £180.

What does the team think?

Well if you adjusted for just inflation, you need to multiply by about
1.14 I would estimate based on:

http://swanlowpark.co.uk/rpiannual.jsp

So that would scale your full day rate to 182 just by itself. That would
return you to your square one earning potential, or the price you set
before you had a proven track record, and (more than) full order book.

So at least:

45, 30, 120, 200

would seem not seem unreasonable. Bearing in mind its not so easy to go
up in negotiation, but you can come down by way of incentives if you
need to.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago,

I get more work than I can cope with,

Time for unbeliever to make a post:-)

And dave, relax when he does reply. You might learn something.

What? How to become a sad & twisted old ****?

You can treat it like a post from wodney... if he says its white, then
you can be pretty sure its black! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago, I get more
work than I can cope with, so I think it's about time for a price rise.

Check t'interweb it does seem I'm a little too cheap, but like most
small business's I'm nervous about increasing prices in case I lose work
- currently I'm always busy.

I increasingly get people asking "are you sure?" & "is that all?"

Currently; £45 first hour, £20 per hour after, or half day £100, full
day £160.

I'm thinking; £45 first hour, £25 per hour after, or half day £110, full
day £180.

What does the team think?

Interesting problem, because of the psychological impact of different
numbers and the intersection of day rates and hour rates.

Eg your day rate could go to 190 quid as easily as 180 - still beneath
200 quid. And the half day to 120 rather than 110 - still not much over
100. But then you're getting closer to your hourly rates - which
suggests that 25/hour is a little low, but putting that up to the next
nice number of 30/hour is offputting.

So yes, despite your proposed day and half day rates being a little low
if you didn't have an hourly rate, the whole set is probably about right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2012 22:10, Clive George wrote:
I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago, I get more
work than I can cope with, so I think it's about time for a price rise.

Check t'interweb it does seem I'm a little too cheap, but like most
small business's I'm nervous about increasing prices in case I lose work
- currently I'm always busy.

I increasingly get people asking "are you sure?" & "is that all?"

Currently; £45 first hour, £20 per hour after, or half day £100, full
day £160.

I'm thinking; £45 first hour, £25 per hour after, or half day £110, full
day £180.

What does the team think?

Interesting problem, because of the psychological impact of different
numbers and the intersection of day rates and hour rates.

Ferzacerly.

Eg your day rate could go to 190 quid as easily as 180 - still beneath
200 quid. And the half day to 120 rather than 110 - still not much over
100. But then you're getting closer to your hourly rates -

I need to offer some kind of price incentive to get 4 & 8 hours bookings
e.g. "it's cheaper to save the jobs up & book me for a half or whole
day". That already works well.

which
suggests that 25/hour is a little low, but putting that up to the next
nice number of 30/hour is off putting.

Indeed. £27:50 sounds a bit weird & its more difficult for clients to
work out.

So yes, despite your proposed day and half day rates being a little low
if you didn't have an hourly rate, the whole set is probably about right.

I may just rejig by 'only' offering 1 hour £45, 2 hours £75, half day
£120, full day £180.

So, 1hour, quarter day, half day, full day.

If a job took 3 or 6 hours I could discount it?
..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 May 2012 20:58:29 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'm thinking; £45 first hour, £25 per hour after, or half day £110, full
day £180.

What does the team think?

Define "day". A "full day" to me is 12 hrs on site plus travel... I
suspect your "full day" is a mere 8 hrs on site inc travel. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

.

Or try a fixed price quote perhaps. Depending on the punter.
People don't really like open ended prices.
I would always go for a fixed price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago,

I get more work than I can cope with,

Try working a longer day then!

Time for unbeliever to make a post:-)

Would you like that pointed so that I can cure the vampire in
you, you mischievous little (or should I say rather large) beggar? Typical
bloody Tyke. ;-)

And dave, relax when he does reply. You might learn something.

What, me teach he who knows it all something - impossible, he's too dense?

Even if my advice was perfect (which is something I would never do for that
prat) he would still refuse to accept it, but I suppose I could say just
raise his f***ing prices - he might lose some clients, but he would do less
work and still end up increasing his margins! It would also help if he
ditched his expensive 'shed' suppliers and found some decent merchants and
opened monthly accounts with them, thus taking advantage of their trade
discounts which will allow him to put a greater customer mark-up on it and
also to (usually) get a discount for settling the account[s] within the
agreed period (typically 30 days after the invoice date). Doing - simple
advice
which he will ignore and then reply in his usual manner. ROTFL

(Scroll down a bit)

If he has to ask that in a D-I-Y group then no wonder he's a failed
salesman!

As a matter of interest ARW, I'm totally bored with winding up the stupid
c**t and kill-filed him months, thus never having to read his silly posts -
until mischievous beggars like you tempt me.

BTW, nice wind-up with Dennis and his comments, but I'm surprised that he
has yet to cotton on to your sense of humour. :-)

Carry on scrolling|

Mostly bull****, but what the hell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 22 May 2012 20:58:29 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'm thinking; £45 first hour, £25 per hour after, or half day £110, full
day £180.

What does the team think?

Define "day". A "full day" to me is 12 hrs on site plus travel... I
suspect your "full day" is a mere 8 hrs on site inc travel. B-)

Blimey, I'm only making £55 per day and it's bloody hard work. I have to
watch "Upstairs Downstairs, "This Morning", "Dickinsons Real Deal" etc etc.
AND make the tea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago,

I get more work than I can cope with,

Time for unbeliever to make a post:-)

And dave, relax when he does reply. You might learn something.

What? How to become a sad & twisted old ****?

Just trying to follow the twisted, middle-aged '****' that you are TMH,
(remember the acronym FOAD that you have used in several of you posts) but
I'm finding the 'twisted' bit a bit difficult to follow - but I suppose
though that being 'twisted' is second-nature to you?

You can treat it like a post from wodney... if he says its white, then
you can be pretty sure its black! ;-)

Sorry for replying to TMH via you post John, but I can't be bothered to dig
him out of the trash folder and reply directly. As for you reply, you ain't
far off there - and I've taken great delight in winding the middle-aged sod
up. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2012 23:49, Unbeliever wrote:

Typical ****e really.

I thought he was dead?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Unbeliever" wrote in message

BTW, nice wind-up with Dennis and his comments, but I'm surprised that he
has yet to cotton on to your sense of humour. :-)

How can he wind me up, he is ignored, he is just a bit too slow to work it
out.
He must be very slow as its been months since I replied to the idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2012 00:11, dennis@home wrote:

"Unbeliever" wrote in message

BTW, nice wind-up with Dennis and his comments, but I'm surprised that he
has yet to cotton on to your sense of humour. :-)

How can he wind me up, he is ignored, he is just a bit too slow to work
it out.

I must be very slow as its been months since I was able to reply to the superior being.

IFYPFY

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 22/05/12 21:51, John Rumm wrote:
I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago, I get more
work than I can cope with, so I think it's about time for a price rise.

Well if you adjusted for just inflation, you need to multiply by about
1.14 I would estimate based on:

http://swanlowpark.co.uk/rpiannual.jsp

or more
http://byline.timetric.com/2012/05/21/uk-inflation-why-2-a-year-has-hit-your-fish-and-chips/

So that would scale your full day rate to 182 just by itself. That would
return you to your square one earning potential, or the price you set
before you had a proven track record, and (more than) full order book.

So at least:

45, 30, 120, 200

would seem not seem unreasonable. Bearing in mind its not so easy to go
up in negotiation, but you can come down by way of incentives if you
need to.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

That's got to get dull eventually... is there nothing more productive
you could use your time for? (serious question)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2012 00:38, John Rumm wrote:

That's got to get dull eventually... is there nothing more productive
you could use your time for? (serious question)

There's more than one person in this thread who could be asked the same
question...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman
scribeth thus
I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago, I get more
work than I can cope with, so I think it's about time for a price rise.

Check t'interweb it does seem I'm a little too cheap, but like most
small business's I'm nervous about increasing prices in case I lose work
- currently I'm always busy.

Confucius he say;..

"Anyone who is any good will always have a lot to do";!

I increasingly get people asking "are you sure?" & "is that all?"

Currently; £45 first hour, £20 per hour after, or half day £100, full
day £160.

I'm thinking; £45 first hour, £25 per hour after, or half day £110, full
day £180.

What does the team think?

I think you know the answer to this one Dave

It seems to me that your, shall we say, in an affluent area and some
people do expect to pay a higher price on the assumption that the more
they pay the better the quality of what it is there're paying for.

Course they don't know quite what building quality standards are and
have over time with the advent of the "Two men on a motorbike chasing
cowboy builders" have lowered expectations of the work standards to be
done anyway.

I don't think your rates are at all unreasonable and in some instances
you could get more than what you propose.

Have you checked out the rates charged by any competition?.

Also as you have a van to run have you thought of some sort of mileage
charge to be added in for distance from your work base etc?..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 May 2012 10:36:41 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Also as you have a van to run have you thought of some sort of mileage
charge to be added in for distance from your work base etc?..

I think that is why the first hour is £45 and TMH restricts how far
he will travel.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago, I get more
work than I can cope with, so I think it's about time for a price rise.

Check t'interweb it does seem I'm a little too cheap, but like most
small business's I'm nervous about increasing prices in case I lose work
- currently I'm always busy.

I increasingly get people asking "are you sure?" & "is that all?"

Currently; £45 first hour, £20 per hour after, or half day £100, full
day £160.

I'm thinking; £45 first hour, £25 per hour after, or half day £110, full
day £180.

What does the team think?

Put your prices up for new and infrequent customers and tell the
regulars that you are giving them a discount for repeat business and set
those prices so they are only a small increase on what they paid last time.

I have a window cleaner who has charged me the same over 5 years. He has
a big round now (2 months cycle time) and increases his prices to new
clients and tells the old ones this.

hth

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 22, 8:58*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago, I get more
work than I can cope with, so I think it's about time for a price rise.

Check t'interweb it does seem I'm a little too cheap, but like most
small business's I'm nervous about increasing prices in case I lose work
- currently I'm always busy.

I increasingly get people asking "are you sure?" & "is that all?"

Currently; £45 first hour, £20 per hour after, or half day £100, full
day £160.

I'm thinking; £45 first hour, £25 per hour after, or half day £110, full
day £180.

What does the team think?

Will you be charging extra during the Olympics, like the bus/train
drivers ;-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago, I get
more work than I can cope with, so I think it's about time for a
price rise.
Check t'interweb it does seem I'm a little too cheap, but like most
small business's I'm nervous about increasing prices in case I lose
work - currently I'm always busy.

I increasingly get people asking "are you sure?" & "is that all?"

Currently; £45 first hour, £20 per hour after, or half day £100, full
day £160.

I'm thinking; £45 first hour, £25 per hour after, or half day £110,
full day £180.

What does the team think?

If you are not careful you will end up VAT registered. Then you will need
the help of dennis to do your accounts..

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2012 20:58:29 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'm thinking; £45 first hour, £25 per hour after, or half day £110,
full day £180.

What does the team think?

Define "day". A "full day" to me is 12 hrs on site plus travel... I
suspect your "full day" is a mere 8 hrs on site inc travel. B-)

Those are long days. Is this a 5 day working week?

I don't define a working day. When subbing it is usually 8 hours a day but I
am subbing for a guy with brains who trusts me. So if the job is halfway
between Barnsley and Doncaster I start on site at 8am and work until 4.30pm
and go straight home. When working in the Doncaster area I leave his unit a
8am and return to his unit at 4.30pm. By not going to the unit he can get
another hours work out of me by not paying me travel time.

When working for myself it can be anyhours.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2012 10:36, tony sayer wrote:
In , The Medway Handyman
scribeth thus
[...]

There isn't that much locally that's professionally run TBH.

Also as you have a van to run have you thought of some sort of mileage
charge to be added in for distance from your work base etc?..

The Medway Towns are relatively small & densely populated, so travel,
even at current costs, isn't a big issue. The £45 first hour covers
that anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
[...]

When I met TMH I was working 5 miles away from him in a right ********. I
met him in an affluent area 5 miles from where I was working.

Today I have done two jobs 2 miles apart. One is affluent one is not.

What Dave needs to do is sometimes "forget" his price structure. When a
customer says "are you sure?" & "is that all?" he needs to tell them that he
is going to double check the price and then stick £50 (or whatever is
appropriate) on the quote before saying "you are correct Sir, I got that
one wrong, thanks for your honesty".

If people are stupid enough to give money away for free then he should be
intelligent enough to accept it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 May 2012 17:13:32 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:
If you are not careful you will end up VAT registered. Then you will
need the help of dennis to do your accounts..

Be sure not to give Dennis anything other than a crayon to write with,
just in case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2012 17:13, ARWadsworth wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've been charging much the same since I started 5 years ago, I get
more work than I can cope with, so I think it's about time for a
price rise.
Check t'interweb it does seem I'm a little too cheap, but like most
small business's I'm nervous about increasing prices in case I lose
work - currently I'm always busy.

I increasingly get people asking "are you sure?"& "is that all?"

Currently; £45 first hour, £20 per hour after, or half day £100, full
day £160.

I'm thinking; £45 first hour, £25 per hour after, or half day £110,
full day £180.

What does the team think?

If you are not careful you will end up VAT registered. Then you will need
the help of dennis to do your accounts..

77000 / 45 / 5 / 8

£42/hour if you guess on working 45 5 day weeks and 8 hour days per
year. That's with no materials through the business.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

but that assumes your are being employed for all those hours.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Think of it as revenge for him winding up cyclists in another place.
Keep up the good work.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm scribeth thus
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Yeabut surely he has to take into account all those hours doing things
like ordering and getting materials, invoicing, chasing payments down
time doing accounts work writing estimates and such like?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2012 21:03, tony sayer wrote:
In articlexaOdnXM6eJP0sCDSnZ2dnUVZ8mSdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk, John
scribeth thus
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Well likewise there will be other turnover in the business that will
count toward the registration threshold. As someone else suggested there
will probably be an optimal price which generates most income, but it
does not necessarily occur at all saleable hours sold.

--
Cheers,

John.