Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. Santander again.

Heard a bit on the news that Santander (Spain) is in trouble.

However I also read that the Spanish and English branches are legally/
financially isolated.

I read somewhere else that there are loopholes and money could be
transferred to Spain to help out over there. Apparently by using it to
pay out divi to Spanish shareholders.

But it was only the DM so it could be ********.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/art...by-enough.html

But maybe not.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sav...avings#foreign

Apparently if an EU bank in the UK goes bust, you would have to claim
from the country of origin.
So what happens if that country is bust/defaults?

Ie the £85,000 Uk gov. thing does/may not apply.

Banks from outside EU (eg Iceland) have to have the full cover.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote

Heard a bit on the news that Santander (Spain) is in trouble.

However I also read that the Spanish and English branches
are legally/financially isolated.

I read somewhere else that there are loopholes and money
could be transferred to Spain to help out over there. Apparently
by using it to pay out divi to Spanish shareholders.

But it was only the DM so it could be ********.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/art...by-enough.html

But maybe not.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sav...avings#foreign

Apparently if an EU bank in the UK goes bust, you would have to claim
from the country of origin.
So what happens if that country is bust/defaults?

You are SOL with the worst of them like Greece and Spain.

Ie the £85,000 Uk gov. thing does/may not apply.

Banks from outside EU (eg Iceland) have to have the full cover.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

Heard a bit on the news that Santander (Spain) is in trouble.

Have you got a short position in Santander shares or something?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote
harry wrote

Heard a bit on the news that Santander (Spain) is in trouble.

Have you got a short position in Santander shares or something?

Or just wants to avoid getting caught with any of his money in one of the
banks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2012 06:46, harry wrote:
Heard a bit on the news that Santander (Spain) is in trouble.

However I also read that the Spanish and English branches are legally/
financially isolated.

I read somewhere else that there are loopholes and money could be
transferred to Spain to help out over there. Apparently by using it to
pay out divi to Spanish shareholders.

But it was only the DM so it could be ********.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/art...by-enough.html

But maybe not.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sav...avings#foreign

Apparently if an EU bank in the UK goes bust, you would have to claim
from the country of origin.
So what happens if that country is bust/defaults?

Ie the £85,000 Uk gov. thing does/may not apply.

Banks from outside EU (eg Iceland) have to have the full cover.

I would have thought a financial newsgroup a better place to get
financial advice. However, while the FSA was set up by Act of
Parliament, it is not a UK government scheme as such. It is part of an
EU wide scheme of financial regulation that is funded by the financial
services industry. Therefore, if a bank that is registered in another EU
country, but not in the UK, goes belly up, any money you have on deposit
with them is covered to EUR100,000 by the equivalent scheme in that
country. In December 2010, when the limits were changed, £85,000 was the
equivalent to EUR100,000.

The important factor as to who guarantees your money is where the
financial institution is registered. As Santander is registered with the
FSA in the UK, it is the FSCS that provides the guarantee for investors
in the UK, while the Spanish equivalent provides the guarantee for
investors in Spain.

As I said before, if you are worried, you can always move your money to
another bank. The FSCS will not help if the financial institution has
assets that can be used to offset any loss by investors, so there may
well be delays before anyone gets money under the guarantee scheme. Of
the high street banks, HSBC came out by far the best in the banking
crisis, but Barclays did better than most of the others. Having banked
with both, I prefer HSBC.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Martin
scribeth thus
On Fri, 18 May 2012 10:39:06 +0100, Nightjar
wrote:

snip

HSBC came out by far the best in the banking
crisis, but Barclays did better than most of the others. Having banked
with both, I prefer HSBC.

We changed from Barclays to HSBC after almost 50 years with Barclays.
We think HSBC is better than Barclays too.

Agreed and Agreed..

Other month we needed to contact Barclitz on a simple query, went round
the houses on hold and then came back to where we started;(..

Phoned HSBC and got straight thru to my branch manager who answered that
one within 10 seconds..

Barclitz account isn't long for this world....

Only good thing about the Barclays branch is that they have a decent car
park whereas HSBC don't, but as we got very few cheques now not a
problem..

I sometimes wonder if some of these firms really want you as a customer
I know BT don't. Barclays and now Vodafone who used to be good are
farming off calls to somewhere not in England. And pushing you to use
the net.

If I could have used the net then I'd have used it but I needed to speak
to someone!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 May 2012 14:56:28 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 18 May 2012 12:46:44 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Martin
scribeth thus
On Fri, 18 May 2012 10:39:06 +0100, Nightjar
wrote:

snip

[...]

I got rid of Barclays because somebody was trying to hack my Internet
Banking account. New passwords arrived in the post every week.
Complaints went to India where some tosser told me that it was
impossible. He refused to route my call to my local manager. As a result
I closed my account

Personally, I would set the overdraft limit to 0, and keep £1 in it. Then
ensure you are signed up to receive monthly statements.

I did this 16 years ago ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 7:33*am, Andy Burns wrote:
harry wrote:
Heard a bit on the news that Santander (Spain) is in trouble.

Have you got a short position in Santander shares or something?

No, I have no financial interest.
I'm with the Nationwide!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2012 06:46, harry wrote:
Heard a bit on the news that Santander (Spain) is in trouble.

However I also read that the Spanish and English branches are legally/
financially isolated.

I read somewhere else that there are loopholes and money could be
transferred to Spain to help out over there. Apparently by using it to
pay out divi to Spanish shareholders.

But it was only the DM so it could be ********.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/art...by-enough.html

But maybe not.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sav...avings#foreign

Apparently if an EU bank in the UK goes bust, you would have to claim
from the country of origin.
So what happens if that country is bust/defaults?

Ie the £85,000 Uk gov. thing does/may not apply.

Banks from outside EU (eg Iceland) have to have the full cover.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/banking/9274619/Santander-customers-with-more-85000-in-savings-make-withdrawals.html
AKA http://tinyurl.com/c5kl4ox

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 May 2012 12:46:44 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

We think HSBC is better than Barclays too.

Agreed and Agreed..

+1

Phoned HSBC and got straight thru to my branch manager who answered that
one within 10 seconds..

Similar here but with local branch visits, Barclays couldn't do
anything without going through their controlling branch in Hexham 20
miles away. The local Barclays is also only open 3 days/week, but
normal banking hours. A little better than the previous 5 days/week
but opening late 1000 and closeing at 1400, or somthing like that.

If I wander into the local HSBC branch the manager is there, quite
often serving behind the counter and she can actually do things
without refering upwards and as it's a quiet town you don't need an
appointment. Provided you are prepared to wait a few minutes while
she finishes her current task or gets up to speed on the details.

Barclitz account isn't long for this world....

snip
If I could have used the net then I'd have used it but I needed to speak
to someone!...

The "all new and improved" Barclays online banking has become a
script ridden slow and clunky heap of ****. I guess if you have a
powerfull modern machine with the latest browser it's a nice form
over function "experience" but I don't want an "experience". I want
to log in, shift money/get information and log out as quickly as
possible.

The writing is on the wall for my Barclays account that I have had
since mid-teens, nearly 40 years ago...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

But it was only the DM so it could be ********.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/art...by-enough.html

How is a DM article for Aug 2010 relevant?

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

I had an account with NatWest from way backwhen it was the national
Provincial . They messed me about more than once and the last straw was
when they gave me the wrong information about about Travellers cheques which
were useless however HSBC came to the rescue
I have been with them ever since. I could say about Sanander as well but
won't incase someone from Santander reads it.
Robbie
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

The "all new and improved" Barclays online banking has become a
script ridden slow and clunky heap of ****. I guess if you have a
powerfull modern machine with the latest browser it's a nice form
over function "experience" but I don't want an "experience". I want
to log in, shift money/get information and log out as quickly as
possible.

Glad I'm not alone in thinking that

They've totally lost the plot

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message id, Jeremy
Nicoll - news posts writes
harry wrote:

But it was only the DM so it could be ********.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/art...nder-goes-melt
down-customers-wave-bank-goodby-enough.html

How is a DM article for Aug 2010 relevant?

Look at the OP - Its harry, he lost the plot 50 years ago

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Dave Liquorice writes

The "all new and improved" Barclays online banking has become a
script ridden slow and clunky heap of ****.

I don't find it too slow, works fine even on a 2 1/2 year old smartphone

Glad I'm not alone in thinking that

The one advantage the new site has is that I can now log in using my
sortcode/account number which has been burned into my brain for over 30
years rather than some online banking number I can never remember.

Either way, I've moved chunks of cash out of my Barclays accounts as
they seem unwilling to offer savings rates that compete with others (not
that the rates from the others are brilliant!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2012 09:36:14 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

The "all new and improved" Barclays online banking has become a
script ridden slow and clunky heap of ****.

I don't find it too slow, works fine even on a 2 1/2 year old smartphone

Only 2 1/2 years old is not old, thats modern. My normal machine is
over 10 years old, single core 1GHz Athlon. Not running windows
bloatware it is plenty fast enough for normal computing use of letter
writting, email, usenet and web browsing, for sites *not* witten by
"designers" who must use all the latest browser features and don't
appreciate that not everybody has the latest web browser or over
clocked quad core 3GHz machine.

The one advantage the new site has is that I can now log in using my
sortcode/account number which has been burned into my brain for over 30
years rather than some online banking number I can never remember.

Changed branches when we moved 12 years ago, don't know new sort
code/account number but I could probably tell you the old one... I
don't like Barclays pin sentry card reader thingy, means I have to
have it and card with me to login.

HSBC Business has a little press the button "random" number
generator. HSBC's Business Online Banking works if you turn
javascript off and it's pretty quick. You can't even login into
Barclays with Javascript off.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

The "all new and improved" Barclays online banking has become a
script ridden slow and clunky heap of ****.

I don't find it too slow, works fine even on a 2 1/2 year old smartphone

Only 2 1/2 years old is not old, thats modern. My normal machine is
over 10 years old, single core 1GHz Athlon.

A 2 1/2 year old phone isn't *that* old as a phone, but my point was
that compared to a PC it is indeed quite lowly (1GHz ARM processor,
512MB RAM) so probably lower spec than your 10 year old PC.

The one advantage the new site has is that I can now log in using my
sortcode/account number which has been burned into my brain for over 30
years rather than some online banking number I can never remember.

Changed branches when we moved12 years ago, don't know new sort
code/account number

They shut down my branch without telling me (I just noticed it was
boarded up one day) but the S/C and A/C didn't change, I wouldn't need
to change branches if I moved, I do business at whatever branch suits me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They shut down my branch without telling me (I just noticed it was
boarded up one day) but the S/C and A/C didn't change, I wouldn't need
to change branches if I moved, I do business at whatever branch suits me.

Do we still -need- bank branches?. OK they are making a few jobs for
people but around here there are under used post offices that could be
used to pay cash and cheques into. Several building society branches for
making and receiving cash doing the same thing.

Surely the time is coming where this by economic necessity will be
combined into just the one "money office" for all banks and other fiscal
entities.

Why do you need them?. Just to pay cheques into?, and cash is fast going
out of fashion the number of people around here who pay for drinks in
some local pubs they now just have a tab and before they go settle on
the card.

Course you might what to go and beg for an overdraft increase or
negotiate a loan but why cannot that go and be done by phone or the
web?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
geoff wrote:

Dave Liquorice writes

The "all new and improved" Barclays online banking has become a
script ridden slow and clunky heap of ****.

I don't find it too slow, works fine even on a 2 1/2 year old smartphone

Glad I'm not alone in thinking that

The one advantage the new site has is that I can now log in using my
sortcode/account number which has been burned into my brain for over 30
years rather than some online banking number I can never remember.

Either way, I've moved chunks of cash out of my Barclays accounts as
they seem unwilling to offer savings rates that compete with others
(not that the rates from the others are brilliant!)

Same here

I almost moved it all the other day as they charged me £35 for not
having the funds in the current account to cover the 23k VAT bill at
midnight of the day the DD was taken. The money was transferred into the
account at 09:30 to cover the transaction

Now, I was under the impression that, as long as the account was in
credit during the day, there shouldn't be a problem. Someone else told
me that, as barclays is a clearing bank, the funds had to be in the
account by 15:00

Barclays condescended to pay me the charge back after I
(uncharacteristically) got a bit shouty at them, but ...

Am I right, or are they ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote

They shut down my branch without telling me (I just noticed it was
boarded up one day) but the S/C and A/C didn't change, I wouldn't need
to change branches if I moved, I do business at whatever branch suits me.

Do we still -need- bank branches?.

Corse we don’t, I havent used one in 40 years and I only did
that then when the fool of an accountant wouldn’t talk to me
on the phone about a problem I had had with their ATM.

OK they are making a few jobs for people but around here there are
under used post offices that could be used to pay cash and cheques into.

You don’t even need those, just post the
cheques and use ATMs to deposit cash.

You'd obviously need some branches to receive cash
from businesses, but that’s not consumer banking.

Several building society branches for making
and receiving cash doing the same thing.

Its far from clear that the post office branches would be
interested in receiving all the cash from all businesses tho.

Surely the time is coming where this by economic
necessity will be combined into just the one "money
office" for all banks and other fiscal entities.

You can run the same line about petrol stations and grocerys too.

Why do you need them?.

I don’t.

Just to pay cheques into?,

Don’t use them for that myself, I post the tiny number of those I get now.

and cash is fast going out of fashion

Not with businesses it isnt.

the number of people around here who pay for drinks in some local
pubs they now just have a tab and before they go settle on the card.

I still use cash for the farmer's markets and garage/yard/boot sales.

But I get that cash from the supermarket self service checkouts
not from a bank branch and not from an ATM either.

Course you might what to go and beg for an overdraft increase or negotiate
a loan but why cannot that go and be done by phone or the web?...

Why not indeed. I financed the house I was building entirely myself
40 years ago that way, never saw anyone involved in lending me the
money in person at all, all done by phone and mail.

Paid for the latest new car using my card too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Windmill wrote
geoff wrote
Dave Liquorice wrote

The "all new and improved" Barclays online banking has become
a script ridden slow and clunky heap of ****. I guess if you have a
powerfull modern machine with the latest browser it's a nice form
over function "experience" but I don't want an "experience". I want
to log in, shift money/get information and log out as quickly as
possible.

Glad I'm not alone in thinking that

They've totally lost the plot

The same can be said of many websites, not just bank sites.

Sure. Tho the shopping sites have a lot more to do than bank sites.

I've always thought that every web designer should
be forced to use a 75Mhz 486 for web design.

No thanks. It makes sense for some sites to work well with
more horsepower than that.

And quite a few web sites are designed to work with that level of
horsepower too, most obviously with net books and mobile phones.

That would compel him/her to create fast,
efficient code without bells and whistles.

I want the bells and whistles with some sites.

Of course Marketing would, foolishly, object to that.

Taint foolish at all with some sites.

There are still a few rare sites which can be conveniently
accessed by a text-only browser like lynx and which are laid out
in a convenient way for such a browser. With few or no images.

And some sites just arent viable with few or no images.

I'm certain that if it was always a matter of choice ("click
here for text only"), few would use the graphic version.

Most do with the sites that offer that option.

The speed difference would amaze a
generation brought up on pretty pictures.

Many sites are useless when text only.

Wikipedia does use images sensibly most of the time.

Obviously there are a few cases where an image is
essential, but not for things like bank statements.

They are useful even with a bank site.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rod Speed
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote

They shut down my branch without telling me (I just noticed it was
boarded up one day) but the S/C and A/C didn't change, I wouldn't need
to change branches if I moved, I do business at whatever branch suits me.

Do we still -need- bank branches?.

Corse we dont, I havent used one in 40 years and I only did
that then when the fool of an accountant wouldnt talk to me
on the phone about a problem I had had with their ATM.

OK they are making a few jobs for people but around here there are
under used post offices that could be used to pay cash and cheques into.

You dont even need those, just post the
cheques and use ATMs to deposit cash.

Not seen an ATM that takes cash here in the UK .. anyone?...

You'd obviously need some branches to receive cash
from businesses, but thats not consumer banking.

Several building society branches for making
and receiving cash doing the same thing.

Its far from clear that the post office branches would be
interested in receiving all the cash from all businesses tho.

Yes it would, it'd keep them in business...

Surely the time is coming where this by economic
necessity will be combined into just the one "money
office" for all banks and other fiscal entities.

You can run the same line about petrol stations and grocerys too.

Thats happening already, petrol stations like pubs are closing all too
rapidly ...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , geoff
scribeth thus
In message , Andy
Burns writes
geoff wrote:

Dave Liquorice writes

[...]

Geoff you are wrong .. you have the choice to move .. Do it;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote
Rod wrote
tony sayer wrote

They shut down my branch without telling me (I just noticed it was
boarded up one day) but the S/C and A/C didn't change, I wouldn't need
to change branches if I moved, I do business at whatever branch suits
me.

Do we still -need- bank branches?.

Corse we dont, I havent used one in 40 years and I only did
that then when the fool of an accountant wouldnt talk to me
on the phone about a problem I had had with their ATM.

OK they are making a few jobs for people but around here there are
under used post offices that could be used to pay cash and cheques into.

You dont even need those, just post the
cheques and use ATMs to deposit cash.

Not seen an ATM that takes cash here in the UK .. anyone?...

If you dont, you lot need to get your act into gear on
that if many consumers actually deposit much cash at all.

You'd obviously need some branches to receive cash
from businesses, but thats not consumer banking.

Several building society branches for making
and receiving cash doing the same thing.

Its far from clear that the post office branches would be
interested in receiving all the cash from all businesses tho.

Yes it would,

Easy to claim...

it'd keep them in business...

Its far from clear that they would be interested in the effort.

Surely the time is coming where this by economic
necessity will be combined into just the one "money
office" for all banks and other fiscal entities.

You can run the same line about petrol stations and grocerys too.

Thats happening already, petrol stations like pubs are closing all too
rapidly ...

Bet you dont see too many places with significant numbers
of customers that end up with just one of either of those.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 May 2012 09:07:08 GMT, Huge wrote:

You don t even need those, just post the cheques ...

Adding at least another 24hrs to when you can actually use your
money.

... and use ATMs to deposit cash.

Not seen an ATM that takes cash here in the UK .. anyone?...

Yep.

But they only take a limited amount,

They used to but I've not see one with street access for a while and
even then I'm not sure the deposit ones I have seen were not actually
within branches. I think they only took paper cash as well, no coins.

The night safe is still in the wall of the HSBC branch in town but
don't know if it's still used.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2012 12:59:43 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Surely the time is coming where this by economic necessity will be
combined into just the one "money office" for all banks and other fiscal
entities.

Well it would be nice but can you see the banks, building societies
etc agreeing on who is going to pay for a such a service? They don't
trust each other as it is and only begrudgingly allow people to shift
money from one bank to another. Look how long it has taken them to
accept the Faster Payment service and even now that's not universal.

Course you might what to go and beg for an overdraft increase or
negotiate a loan but why cannot that go and be done by phone or the
web?...

Because the teletubbie on the end of the phone has english as a
second language, can only follow the script presented to them and not
make any actual real decisions. The web, by it's nature, is utterly
script bound. Both are just take what is offered, no opportunity for
flexibilty or adjustment.

In a real live face to face meeting with a manager who has the
authority to make decisions is far better IMHO. They can be flexible
and adjust things as required, although still limited in what the
computer will let them do, a good manager can work around those
limitations though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote
Huge wrote
Tony Sayer wrote
Rod Speed wrote

You don t even need those, just post the cheques ...

Adding at least another 24hrs to when you can actually use your money.

If you care about that, makes a lot more sense to
have an electronic funds transfer instead of a cheque.

... and use ATMs to deposit cash.

Not seen an ATM that takes cash here in the UK .. anyone?...

Yep.

But they only take a limited amount,

They used to but I've not see one with street access for a while and
even then I'm not sure the deposit ones I have seen were not actually
within branches. I think they only took paper cash as well, no coins.

The night safe is still in the wall of the HSBC branch in town but
don't know if it's still used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2012 12:08:29 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Only 2 1/2 years old is not old, thats modern. My normal machine

is
over 10 years old, single core 1GHz Athlon.

A 2 1/2 year old phone isn't *that* old as a phone, but my point was
that compared to a PC it is indeed quite lowly (1GHz ARM processor,
512MB RAM) so probably lower spec than your 10 year old PC.

I'd say it's more powerful as the ARM processor can perform more
instructions per second for the same clock. But it's not just sheer
processing grunt, it's also browser and javascript implimentations.

Barclays online banking *requires* javascript, you can't even enter
anything into the first login page without javascript enabled. And
when you do have javascript enabled even on a dual core 2.8GHz
machine with recent broswers/javascript there is significant lag
between pressing keys and the page noticing. Then there are all the
fixed sized containers that don't allow for a minimum font size in
the browser being set so the rendering becomes a mess.

HSBC Business or Halifax don't require javascript for you to be able
to use them. They respond quickly, without fuss and render without
any problems.

I wouldn't need to change branches if I moved, I do business at whatever
branch suits me.

I hadn't moved branches when I was living in Bristol and the branch
was in Birmingham but my parents still lived in Brum at that time.
Both parents are now dead and Birmingham is a long way from the NE of
Cumbria...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

In article , Rod Speed
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote

They shut down my branch without telling me (I just noticed it was
boarded up one day) but the S/C and A/C didn't change, I wouldn't need
to change branches if I moved, I do business at whatever branch suits
me.

Do we still -need- bank branches?.

Corse we dont, I havent used one in 40 years and I only did
that then when the fool of an accountant wouldnt talk to me
on the phone about a problem I had had with their ATM.

OK they are making a few jobs for people but around here there are
under used post offices that could be used to pay cash and cheques into.

You dont even need those, just post the
cheques and use ATMs to deposit cash.

Not seen an ATM that takes cash here in the UK .. anyone?...

Midland had lobby based ones in 1995 ish... They were more of night-safe
concept (ie cash in envelope with paying in slip) but they did give you a
receipt for the envelope based on inserting your card...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 May 2012 06:46:37 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

There are still a few rare sites which can be conveniently
accessed by a text-only browser like lynx and which are laid out
in a convenient way for such a browser. With few or no images.

And some sites just arent viable with few or no images.

They'd be illegal in the EU, then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

I almost moved it all the other day as they charged me £35 for not having
the funds in the current account to cover the 23k VAT bill at midnight of
the day the DD was taken. The money was transferred into the account at
09:30 to cover the transaction

Now, I was under the impression that, as long as the account was in credit
during the day, there shouldn't be a problem. Someone else told me that,
as barclays is a clearing bank, the funds had to be in the account by
15:00

Am I right, or are they ?

I think they are. The money you transferred in at the start of the day will
possibly not show up as a cleared credit until the following day, or maybe
even later. So you would have needed to pay it in yesterday or earlier so
it was available for use by today.

It also depends where it came from, and how, eg if it had been paid in by
personal cheque and that cheque might later bounce. The bank's unlikely to
regard it as really adding cleared funds to your account until they've heard
back from the payer's bank that they had the funds to pay the cheque.
(Though what's usually known as a "Building Society cheque" is different -
really those bits of paper are negotiable currency in their own right -
guaranteed money - at least provided the Building Society who issued it
don't go belly up before the cheque is presented.)

If on the other hand you transferred the incoming £23k from another account
held at the same bank, where it had been a cleared (ie trusted) balance for
days or weeks, I'd expect it to have arrived as cleared funds in your
current account. I've made 'Faster Payments' electronically that moved
money from account to account and to other banks, within hours. But the
money started off as definitely present so each transaction could properly
move known-to-exist amounts.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

current account. I've made 'Faster Payments' electronically that moved
money from account to account and to other banks, within hours. But the
money started off as definitely present so each transaction could properly
move known-to-exist amounts.

I had an RBS-HSBC transfer show up in less than 5 minutes the other day.
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-05-21, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Rod Speed
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote

They shut down my branch without telling me (I just noticed it was
boarded up one day) but the S/C and A/C didn't change, I wouldn't need
to change branches if I moved, I do business at whatever branch suits me.

Do we still -need- bank branches?.

Corse we don’t, I havent used one in 40 years and I only did
that then when the fool of an accountant wouldn’t talk to me
on the phone about a problem I had had with their ATM.

OK they are making a few jobs for people but around here there are
under used post offices that could be used to pay cash and cheques into.

You don’t even need those, just post the
cheques and use ATMs to deposit cash.

Not seen an ATM that takes cash here in the UK .. anyone?...

Yep.

But they only take a limited amount, so if you've got to pay in a week's
takings for a busy shop it would be a PITA.

Night safe?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote
Rod Speed wrote

There are still a few rare sites which can be conveniently
accessed by a text-only browser like lynx and which are laid out
in a convenient way for such a browser. With few or no images.

And some sites just arent viable with few or no images.

They'd be illegal in the EU, then.

Pigs arse they are with shopping sites where few are prepared to
buy stuff that doesn't have unique names without an image of it
so they can confirm that its basically what they want to buy.

And even when they do have a unique name, hordes don't know
what that name is, so again need an image to confirm its what
they want if they have to find it by browsing the category etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Someone else told me that, as barclays is a clearing bank, the
funds had to be in the account by 15:00 Am I right, or are they?

I think they are. The money you transferred in at the start of the day will
possibly not show up as a cleared credit until the following day

But when you transfer money between Barclays accounts the web site (or
at least the old one did, dunno about the new one) says "That's it, all
done, your money is where you want it" OWTTE...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message id, Jeremy
Nicoll - news posts writes
geoff wrote:

I almost moved it all the other day as they charged me £35 for not having
the funds in the current account to cover the 23k VAT bill at midnight of
the day the DD was taken. The money was transferred into the account at
09:30 to cover the transaction

Now, I was under the impression that, as long as the account was in credit
during the day, there shouldn't be a problem. Someone else told me that,
as barclays is a clearing bank, the funds had to be in the account by
15:00

Am I right, or are they ?

I think they are. The money you transferred in at the start of the day will
possibly not show up as a cleared credit until the following day,

It was from a deposit account at the same branch. I could see the
transferred balance in the current account immediately after the
transfer

or maybe
even later. So you would have needed to pay it in yesterday or earlier so
it was available for use by today.

.... ...

If on the other hand you transferred the incoming £23k from another account
held at the same bank, where it had been a cleared (ie trusted) balance for
days or weeks, I'd expect it to have arrived as cleared funds in your
current account.

Exactly so

I've made 'Faster Payments' electronically that moved
money from account to account and to other banks, within hours. But the
money started off as definitely present so each transaction could properly
move known-to-exist amounts.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

The "all new and improved" Barclays online banking has become a
script ridden slow and clunky heap of ****. I guess if you have a
powerfull modern machine with the latest browser it's a nice form
over function "experience" but I don't want an "experience". I want
to log in, shift money/get information and log out as quickly as
possible.

With my old clunker, using XP and Firefox V12, the latest Barclays
online banking seizes up when I get to 'My Accounts'. With IE8 and
Safari, it is OK. I was told to try Firefox V12 portable, and that DOES
work. All are a little slow - but not unduly so.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message id, Jeremy
Nicoll - news posts writes
geoff wrote:

[...]

My experience of Barclays is that for their internal accounting
purposes, debits are deemed to have been made at opening time on the day
they're made, no matter when the instructions are actually received by
the bank, while credits don't count until closing time, no matter where
they come from or when they arrive, while their boast that you can draw
against a cheque deposited into your current account on the same day
without penalty only applies if the cheque doesn't bounce, in which
case, they retrospectively charge you for the bouncing cheque, and any
other penalty they can think of.

Last time I bought a house, the transfer from my current account was
made a couple of hours later than the electronic credit from the
mortgage company "cleared" into that account. They still charged me
interest for the full amount for the day it was "missing" from the
current account. I only got the penalty charge for exceeding my
overdraft limit removed by complaining.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

The "all new and improved" Barclays online banking has become a
script ridden slow and clunky heap of ****. I guess if you have a
powerfull modern machine with the latest browser it's a nice form
over function "experience" but I don't want an "experience". I want
to log in, shift money/get information and log out as quickly as
possible.

With my old clunker, using XP and Firefox V12, the latest Barclays
online banking seizes up when I get to 'My Accounts'. With IE8 and
Safari, it is OK. I was told to try Firefox V12 portable, and that DOES
work. All are a little slow - but not unduly so.

My main problem with it is that the logon screens won't fit on a
1280X800 monitor.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Huge
escribió:

I've done transfers between different banks that have already happened by the
time I've switched & refreshed browser windows. Most impressive.

There's a newish system called Faster Payments which more and more banks
are adopting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster_Payments

--
(\_/)